• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm announced

At the risk of sounding like an idiot: Who is this for? I thought everyone into MOBAs is already playing LoL or DOTA2? Those two have different, opposing interpretations of fundamental gameplay and marketplace design and it's easy to see why they've cornered their respective markets. What could Blizzard's game possibly do to change up the formula enough to not vanish into obscurity? Seriously, does anyone know?

Blizzard has several millions fanboys based on the sales of diablo iii, so it should be big enough to be pretty profitable.

I'm still not convinced and think it's too late to the table to really matter, but we can't know for sure. I'm curious to see how much it's changed at Blizzcon. Of their "side projects" Hearthstone will probably end up more successful.

Still want to know what's up with Titan, but I doubt we'll get anything until next year at the earliest. If details ever get out the post-mortem on that game will be amazing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This! Carbot is a genius and his StarCrafts-videos is pure, 100% hilarious, smooth art in action!

Cystm

The polish that Blizzard provides to it's games will steal a large amount casuals from LoL and Dota2. They need to nail down the competitive ladder system and figure out a way to keep people coming back beyond even that. Still, people want to be Thrall and chain lightning people or be the Lich King and overpower people, or be Kael'thas, so they can say "Only a minor set back" when they die for the tenth time.

Not to mention that they can lead people into it from WoW.

They have the potential to be on top of the Moba genre, but will more likely just be competitive in the market. LoL seems to be too established. Too many variables to overcome, but still the potential is there to be something competent and hopefully fun.Only time will tell, but I think It's safe to say that Blizzard will produce a solid effort.

Tomorrow will hopefully be illuminating more so than a simple tease.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
More at Blizzcon!

CcT4m4Z.png

Sajjaja

The polish that Blizzard provides to it's games will steal a large amount casuals from LoL and Dota2. They need to nail down the competitive ladder system and figure out a way to keep people coming back beyond even that. Still, people want to be Thrall and chain lightning people or be the Lich King and overpower people, or be Kael'thas, so they can say "Only a minor set back" when they die for the tenth time.

2741.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This is probably going to be the closest we'll get to a Warcraft 4 isn't it?

I want muh Thrall ):

F!ReW!Re

I seriously doubt that blizzard could pry me away from playing Dota2.
So I'm skeptical but willing to be swayed by what they'll show us at Blizzcon.

Still I'll have a hard time believing this is gonna trump Dota2 and LoL.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot: Who is this for? I thought everyone into MOBAs is already playing LoL or DOTA2? Those two have different, opposing interpretations of fundamental gameplay and marketplace design and it's easy to see why they've cornered their respective markets. What could Blizzard's game possibly do to change up the formula enough to not vanish into obscurity? Seriously, does anyone know?

Do you really think that you tap out an entire genre with just two games??

It's like believing you don't need more multiplayer fps having CoD or BF. Or having enough racing games with GT and NFS. A sim like game and a arcade game, who needs more? /rolleyes

RPGs? With Elder Scrolls series and Witchers series we already have both open sandbox and narrative styles, rest of game devs, close the shop! etc

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Not to mention that they can lead people into it from WoW.

They have the potential to be on top of the Moba genre, but will more likely just be competitive in the market. LoL seems to be too established. Too many variables to overcome, but still the potential is there to be something competent and hopefully fun.Only time will tell, but I think It's safe to say that Blizzard will produce a solid effort.

Tomorrow will hopefully be illuminating more so than a simple tease.
Blizzard is not going to be able to out polish valve and riot. Especially not riot who has a thousand man work force just focused on lol.

Kinyou

I'm still surprised at how Valve got away with basically copying the character models from WC3.

I wonder if playing with the "licensed heroes" will be enough to interest people

F!ReW!Re

I'm still surprised at how Valve got away with basically copying the character models from WC3.

Please, maybe the general "look" of the character matches somewhat. And don't forget that one of the original creators from WC3 Dota works at valve now (Icefrog)
But the amount of details, the character voice-over's and the polish each character gets absolutely shits on any character that came from the WC3 version;

I'll take the Timbersaw voice work as an example of the quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7i0KJ7Yr9w

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I feel like those three inscriptions should represent each universe, but I dunno. I don't get Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo out of those.

Edit:

I guess the bottom could be Diablo, left could be Starcraft, which would leave the top to be Warcraft I guess.
The way I read it is slightly different:

I see Starcraft on the left like you, that one is obvious. But I think the bottom is Warcraft, leaving the right for Diablo but it's only because of process of elimination: the top right doesn't really express Diablo like the others IMO.

Kinyou

Please, maybe the general "look" of the character matches somewhat. And don't forget that one of the original creators from WC3 Dota works at valve now (Icefrog)
But the amount of details, the character voice-over's and the polish each character gets absolutely shits on any character that came from the WC3 version;

I'll take the Timbersaw voice work as an example of the quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7i0KJ7Yr9w
I'd attribute the improved details, polish more to the improved graphics and the fact that it's a stand alone game. Valve did a lot of work in renovating those characters but the core of most units is undeniably the same (animations as well). Whenever I see a dota game I just think "Oh look, it's Thrall. That's the sorceress. Oh, the archmage" etc. etc.

And sure, one of the original creators is with Valve, but when he made Dota he built it out of assets found in WC3 so I'm not sure if those characters are his. (especially those that were ported into Dota 1:1)

Obviously it's a tough case, and I don't know if there would be any legal merit to it, but I'm just surprised that apparently Blizzard just let it slide (while fighting over things like the name)

Funny how people are assuming this will be Dota for kids and saying the game will be simples just because of Hearthsonte... sigh...

F!ReW!Re

Funny how people are assuming this will be Dota for kids and saying the game will be simples just because of Hearthsonte... sigh...

It's because it would be kind of futile to aim for a hardcore experience and try and get the e-sports scene into jumping out of LoL and Dota2.
Some players simply would be too skeptical because of the way Blizzard handled SC2.
Not to mention that I don't think Blizzard is competent enough to even pull it enough.

I think Blizzard's biggest chance would be to aim for the casual crowd and have people jump in who would like to play as thrall, raynor, etc.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I think that a lot of the people who exclusively play WoW and don't know about LoL or DOTA 2 will look into this game and get into it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
"The trailer was just under two minutes long, so that makes me think each match will only last for two minutes."

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's almost like one of the games is over ten years old and a fan made mod.

A lot of people seem to be underestimating the "silent majority" that want a game like League of Legends with easier mechanics and a less competitive nature.

There's a massive crowd of people who only play ARAM (most people on my friends list are in this group) because they just want to have fun but Summoners Rift doesn't allow that largly due to the difficulty of multitasking, the research of builds/counters and the need to fill specific roles.

While Riot spends time and money on trying to change players' behavior through punishment/reward systems, Blizzard is aiming to avoid it completely through means of their gameplay. We'll likely see less penalties for dieing/losing, more focus on player vs player confrontation instead of multitasking between both minions and players and a shorter match duration.

Soule

BAllS lives on! Well in some form anyway, I hope they have switched up the formula a bit. I can't see myself really shifting from Dota if it's the same but if they've switched the game up a bit and innovated it could be nice.

Orayn

BAllS lives on! Well in some form anyway, I hope they have switched up the formula a bit. I can't see myself really shifting from Dota if it's the same but if they've switched the game up a bit and innovated it could be nice.

Weaker towers, intended game length of 20 minutes, and a focus on aggressive hero vs. hero gameplay would all seem to suggest that. (Assuming those things are still in place from BAllS.)

Reminds me of Bloodline Champions, almost.

Cystm

Weaker towers, intended game length of 20 minutes, and a focus on aggressive hero vs. hero gameplay would all seem to suggest that. (Assuming those things are still in place from BAllS.)

Reminds me of Bloodline Champions, almost.

Skill shots only?

F!ReW!Re

It's almost like one of the games is over ten years old and a fan made mod.

Who knew?

Seriously though; Some people think valve just rolled in made a slightly more updated version and then sat back until the cash rolled in.
Just saying these dudes spent a lot of time and money into this game and valve/ice frog is really collaborating with the community in creating a more balanced and fun game (not the mention the great tournaments)

Really wonder how the game is going to look.

I think this is the last time we've seen the game, when it was still BAllS and using the SC2 engine.

For all the talent, money and resources Blizzard has, BAlls looked like they threw two college interns on it and called it a day when they last showed it off.

Sajjaja

For all the talent, money and resources Blizzard has, BAlls looked like they threw two college interns on it and called it a day when they last showed it off.

I think a primary motivator of that was to get people interested and excited about the SC2 editor and to show off what it was capable of.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Pet peeve, but Icefrog did not create.

He took over someone else's work and improved over it, polished, expanded, etc... And did a brilliant work, sure. Just not a creator.

Mupod

But the amount of details, the character voice-over's and the polish each character gets absolutely shits on any character that came from the WC3 version

I like how I see that image frequently being posted by people on either sides of the argument. To me, they just look like slightly tweaked WC3 characters for the most part, plus Phantom Lancer who is just Kimahri. When I first started out in DOTA2 I just called each hero whatever their WC3 unit equivalent was, and my friends all knew who I was talking about.

But it works out because Valve and (old) blizzard had similar design philosophies regarding unit 'silhouettes' and designing them to be easily recognizable. Two great tastes and all that.

And it's not like Icefrog had anything at all to do with the creation of WC3, he was just a dude who made custom maps (and didn't even originally make dota). So I dunno where you're going with that statement.

But yeah, if anything bugged me about DOTA2 it was Lina Inverse and the UT voice files. Did they get permission for that shit or did they just throw it in because people expected it?

F!ReW!Re

I like how I see that image frequently being posted by people on either sides of the argument. To me, they just look like slightly tweaked WC3 characters for the most part, plus Phantom Lancer who is just Kimahri. When I first started out in DOTA2 I just called each hero whatever their WC3 unit equivalent was, and my friends all knew who I was talking about.

But it works out because Valve and (old) blizzard had similar design philosophies regarding unit 'silhouettes' and designing them to be easily recognizable. Two great tastes and all that.

And it's not like Icefrog had anything at all to do with the creation of WC3, he was just a dude who made custom maps (and didn't even originally make dota). So I dunno where you're going with that statement.

But yeah, if anything bugged me about DOTA2 it was Lina Inverse and the UT voice files. Did they get permission for that shit or did they just throw it in because people expected it?

Sure, I'm not saying that they don't look a like at all, but Valve has put some real effort into the game. I've seen a couple of "opinions" that this was just "easy money" for valve and that they treat this game as some sort of quick cash cow.

And I wasn't saying Ice frog made WC3. I thought he was one of the first creators of Dota for WC 3, but I stand corrected.

Skab

Sure, I'm not saying that they don't look a like at all, but Valve has put some real effort into the game. I've seen a couple of "opinions" that this was just "easy money" for valve and that they treat this game as some sort of quick cash cow.

And I wasn't saying Ice frog made WC3. I thought he was one of the first creators of Dota for WC 3, but I stand corrected.

Eul was the creator of the original Defense of the Ancients in RoC. He also works at Valve now.

When TFT came out, a bunch of updated versions came out made by other people, and DotA Allstars became the most popular, which was made by Guinsoo, and Pendragon created the now lost DotA Allstars website.

Icefrog took over from Guinsoo and Pendragon, who both went on to create Riot and League. Icefrog was hired by Valve.

This concludes your MOBA history lesson.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Eul was the creator of the original Defense of the Ancients in RoC. He also works at Valve now.

When TFT came out, a bunch of updated versions came out made by other people, and DotA Allstars became the most popular, which was made by Guinsoo, and Pendragon created the now lost DotA Allstars website.

Icefrog took over from Guinsoo and Pendragon, who both went on to create Riot and League. Icefrog was hired by Valve.

This concludes your MOBA history lesson.

I actually played against Eul lol. Funnily enough, he picked the hero he named after him.

Top Bottom