• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzcon 2016 - THE YEAR OF THE DEVIL? WE SHALL SEE!

Which Blizzcon announcement are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Silexx

Is his real concerts like this too? With everything stopping and two people trying to be funny in-between his songs?

No, he usually plays a montage of his various career highlights and cameos. They're usually pretty entertaining too.

_DrMario_

I'm trying to remember Linkin Park's performance so I can compare it to Weird Al's but all I can remember is LP's lead singer being crap so I guess Weird Al was better.

Entropia

No One Remembers
RE: Weird Al stuff - at the venue they played various clips of him from various appearances, etc. Imagine there was copyright issues of they had those going on the stream.

Crowd was sort of dead during him, literally no different from any other year. I was a bit back and to the left side of the stage. I wanted to stand but I'd have felt bad for people behind me because no one else was doing it except for "The Saga Begins".

Even when Kristain Nairn was DJing last night, I was pretty close and there was a small group actually dancing, and a few people (myself included) dispersed throughout the crowd doing the same.

RE: Weird Al stuff - at the venue they played various clips of him from various appearances, etc. Imagine there was copyright issues of they had those going on the stream.

Crowd was sort of dead during him, literally no different from any other year. I was a bit back and to the left side of the stage. I wanted to stand but I'd have felt bad for people behind me because no one else was doing it except for "The Saga Begins".

Even when Kristain Nairn was DJing last night, I was pretty close and there was a small group actually dancing, and a few people (myself included) dispersed throughout the crowd doing the same.
Yeah I wanted to stand too. I didn't have great seats though as I was way left of the stage and in the back. I probably should've found a better seat when people started leaving during the concert. When people started filing out before the encore I just got up and made my way a bit closer.

The Diablo event outside was too packed to do any sort of dancing though. Packed like sardines. I left once Songhammer took the stage.

Fonds

In retrospect this Blizzcon was really confusing to me.
There were expectations I was certain Blizzard wouldn't meet (like Diablo 4 or even an xpac) but they even managed to not meet the low bar I set for myself this year.

- No Warcraft in the opening Ceremony?! This is one of their major sources of income!

- Why do Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch get free character updates, while Diablo gets one behind a paywall?

- The amount of new content in all games in the opening ceremony was abysmal.

- Then they have a WoW panel with a content bomb that overshadows all other games with pretty much 0.00% attention to it from Blizzards end.

Blizzcon confused me on so many levels this year. Blizzcon has been cancelled before because there wasn't enough to talk about... This should've been one of those years.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I have to admit that this Blizzcon left me disappointed. Nothing announced has me excited.

Fonds

Overwatch is monetized with microtransactions for cosmetics. There is no steady cash flow from Diablo.

I can agree that Diablo might not be as strong at generating a steady revenue. Even though they had a pretty golden situation with the RMAH.

From a customers perspective however they are both buy to play without monthly subscriptions. HotS is even free to play. My base 50 bucks should receive the same treatment.
Why does one game get so much more support over the other?

Blizzard is free to make their choices there, but the decision to do so isn't based on the customers base expenses made.

Berordn

I can agree that Diablo might not be as strong at generating a steady revenue. Even though they had a pretty golden situation with the RMAH.

From a customers perspective however they are both buy to play without monthly subscriptions. HotS is even free to play. My base 50 bucks should receive the same treatment.

Blizzard is free to make their choices there, but the decision to do so isn't based on the customers base expenses made.

There's no one to one comparison. A playable character in Diablo is a completely different affair from a playable character in Overwatch, and the type of gameplay they both provide is too different to quantify. You might not spend a whole match playing as Sombra, but a freshly created Necromancer might be 30+ hours of playtime. Adding a character class to a story driven game which requires tons of voice acting and playtesting before going live is probably going to need to be monetized differently and may cost more than a character in a class based shooter with skinner box progression.

duckroll

Diablo is a fully featured single and multiplayer game that already contained tons of content in the retail package. Since it was released 4 years ago, it has received constant support in terms of gameplay updates, new areas, new game types, and tons of new loot. That applies for both the original and the expansion.

HotS and Overwatch are extremely new in comparison and are very different types of games built around support providing new characters and maps for multiplayer, without any sort of single player content or item system. A single class in Diablo 3 does not amount to a character you simply select with fixed skills and play in any match. It involves a branching skill tree, various equipment sets, and so on.

But I'm sure you already know that if you play Diablo.

Fonds

There's no one to one comparison. A playable character in Diablo is a completely different affair from a playable character in Overwatch, and the type of gameplay they both provide is too different to quantify. You might not spend a whole match playing as Sombra, but a freshly created Necromancer might be 30+ hours of playtime. Adding a character class to a story driven game which requires tons of voice acting and playtesting before going live is probably going to need to be monetized differently and may cost more than a character in a class based shooter with skinner box progression.

Okay I'll admit that in my outrage I hadn't looked at it that way yet.

Clear communication up front would help quite a bit in that regard... Just let your customers know what it is they're giving for the money you're going to be spending.

duckroll

Okay I'll admit that in my outrage I hadn't looked at it that way yet.

Clear communication up front would help quite a bit in that regard... Just let your customers know what it is they're giving for the money you're going to be spending.

It won't be out until the second half of 2017 and they haven't even set a price yet. On the site FAQ they have explained clearly what the DLC is planned to contain, and they showed off a bunch of unique armor sets for Necromancer at the Blizzcon panel.

Nere

In retrospect this year's Blizzcon was kinda meh from announcements and the diablo franchise deserved much more than a dungeon and a new class late next year. What saved the conference for me though was the WoW panel which they absolutely nailed with the huge amount of content they announced, so overall I would say this Blizzcon was average.

Daante

The whole Wow panel should have been in the opening ceremony.
Finally they are focusing on content, lore and uniqueness, no more fucking go-chase-pokemon-and-easy-access-facebook-games-things.

Havent been this excited for Wow since TBC and WOTLK!.

Bravo!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Blizzcon 2016 was my first ever Virtual Ticket.

Blizzcon 2016 was my last ever Virtual Ticket.

It was a 'con' alright.
Sounds about right

Top Bottom