• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blood+ ONK is like if Suda51 had a stylish bowel movement

Bebpo

Banned
In other words...don't buy this crap. So much wrong with the game from visuals to text menus, to gameplay to cutscenes...ugh.

Not sure what went wrong, but I'm guessing Bandai/Production IG had a fairly strong influence on development and that Suda51 was likely working on something else and just giving "oks" to other Grasshopper staff supervising it.

Early shots had it looking like it was running on the Killer 7 engine, but obviously Capcom owns that engine now and this is like the PS1 version of that engine :\

But man, 29/40 in famitsu was generous. Simple 2000 games can be more playable and even look better than this.

It's no Champloo :(

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Amir0x said:
Sounds just like Killer 7. I would describe that as "stylish bowel movement" as well

stop ripping on K7 >:O

and it's grasshopper, their games have never been seamless experiences that define videogames. I assume it will be fun. I even started watching the anime for this game, the anime is shit up to ep 7... haven't managed to watch anymore yet. boring tripe...

Bebpo

Banned
Brobzoid said:
stop ripping on K7 >:O

and it's grasshopper, their games have never been seamless experiences that define videogames. I assume it will be fun.

You assume wrong.

I even started watching the anime for this game, the anime is shit up to ep 7... haven't managed to watch anymore yet. boring tripe...

Sounds like the non-gameplay portions of the game!

Amir0x said:
good gameplay only for me

K7 roxs. I thought you liked good stories!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Amir0x said:
So your problem with K7 was...?
Best action game this generation, bar none.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Are you pissing on this game because you've played a review copy or is the retail copy out soon, or a demo, what? Should I expect some media to hit the web soon? I might just avoid it completely if it's anything lesser than samurai champloo, which I haven't even bothered completing yet... so shit visual effects that kill my screen with each slice. I hate that. deal breaker am total.

Amir0x

Banned
Bebpo said:
K7 roxs. I thought you liked good stories!

The story was dramatically overhyped here, but I give it credit where it's due. But to get through it, you gotta go through so much terribly designed gameplay that it's like yikes.

In short, I'm not surprised Blood+ sucks at all :p

RevenantKioku said:

We discussed this before! It's laughable to even put it in the category as you do, with DMC and God of War and Ninja Gaiden. Compared the gameplay, it's not even in the same ****ing stratosphere.

Then again, you like Dirge of Cerberus more than Devil May Cry. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
RevenantKioku said:

O.O

I mean I really really like K7. But it's more of a click n' point adventure game in my mind then an action game like DMC or NG.

Brobzoid said:
Are you pissing on this game because you've played a review copy or is the retail copy out soon, or a demo, what? Should I expect some media to hit the web soon? I might just avoid it completely if it's anything lesser than samurai champloo, which I haven't even bothered completing yet... so shit visual effects that kill my screen with each slice. I hate that. deal breaker am total.

Japanese version is out and Play-Asia has been shipping for a few days now. I'll can take some vids over the weekend but honestly I don't really want to touch it anymore. The game is just so horrible in every way that you just want it out of your system.

I enjoyed Champloo. Great cutscenes, nice visual effects, awesome music, and some fun gameplay (plus avoidable battles). Not anything too deep, but one of the best anime games IMO and a solid acheivement for Suda. Blood+ is about 100x worse and I'd be embarrased to be a part of it if I were him.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Amir0x said:
We discussed this before! It's laughable to even put it in the category as you do, with DMC and God of War and Ninja Gaiden. Compared the gameplay, it's not even in the same ****ing stratosphere.

Then again, you like Dirge of Cerberus more than Devil May Cry. :lol
Laughable? Yes. Stratosphere? Maybe.
Best action game all generation? Indisputable.

Amir0x

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Best action game all generation? Indisputable.

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHBHAHBA

It's totally cool, Revenant. Dirge of Cerberus is awesome, what is that Devil May Cry shit anyway! :lol

RevenantKioku

Amir0x said:
AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHBHAHBA

It's totally cool, Revenant. Dirge of Cerberus is awesome, what is that Devil May Cry shit anyway! :lol
Look to the book of Revenant and you shall be enlightened.

Amir0x

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Look to the book of Revenant and you shall be enlightened.

I am, I signed up for your newsletter. Dunno why there's an entire section dedicated to random battles though!

Bebpo

Banned
Verboten said:
Does this have anything to do with the anime, Blood+? What's ONK?

Its connected somehow. I only watched the first 8 or so eps of the show so I'm not sure about where it fits in the timeline. But it's a new story about a new type of Yokushu and Saya and a goofy yankee looking cop have to fight them.

aku:jiki

Bebpo said:
Maybe, but I like the guy so I'm trying to help him save face :p
Play the Samurai Champloo he made too then, and your dreams will be crushed.

He's a straight-up shitty game designer.

Bebpo

Banned
aku:jiki said:
Play the Samurai Champloo he made too then, and your dreams will be crushed.

He's a straight-up shitty game designer.

I did and I thought it was great. Did an excellent job of representing the anime.

8/10ish to me.

*edit*
Champloo scores:
Gamespot: 7.6
IGN: 7.2
1UP 7

Not exactly fantastic scores, but for an anime game those are pretty solid scores. Especially since Champloo is very much a style over substance game :p
*edit*

To me Killer 7 >> Champloo = Contact >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Blood+

aku:jiki

Bebpo said:
Especially since Champloo is very much a style over substance game :p
Yeah, I mean...the hiphop aspects are kinda cool, and I did love that "trance" thing or whatever. But the gameplay really was nothing but atrocious. One of the worst action games I've stuck with for more than 15 minutes.

And, thus, I label him a shitty game designer.

aku:jiki said:
Yeah, I mean...the hiphop aspects are kinda cool, and I did love that "trance" thing or whatever. But the gameplay really was nothing but atrocious. One of the worst action games I've stuck with for more than 15 minutes.

And, thus, I label him a shitty game designer.

man you guys are ruthless. or impatient. i cant tell

i mean, fans of killer7 know whats up. and that includes knowing not only how cool we are cause we "get" killer7, but it's also like a badge that separates the men from the ladies of gaming (yea, that's right....oh yea...what?!)

we're the andrei tarkovsky version of solaris...yall are the steven soderburgh remake

Amir0x

Banned
Don't worry sp0rsk we can turn this into a 'Why RevenantKioku thinks Dirge of Cerberus is better than Devil May Cry' thread instead

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Amir0x said:
Don't worry sp0rsk we can turn this into a 'Why RevenantKioku thinks Dirge of Cerberus is better than Devil May Cry' thread instead

Let's not, and say we did.

Andonuts

Bebpo said:
In other words...don't buy this crap. So much wrong with the game from visuals to text menus, to gameplay to cutscenes...ugh.

Not sure what went wrong, but I'm guessing Bandai/Production IG had a fairly strong influence on development and that Suda51 was likely working on something else and just giving "oks" to other Grasshopper staff supervising it.

Early shots had it looking like it was running on the Killer 7 engine, but obviously Capcom owns that engine now and this is like the PS1 version of that engine :\

But man, 29/40 in famitsu was generous. Simple 2000 games can be more playable and even look better than this.

It's no Champloo :(

Didn't you give Xenosaga 2 like a really high score?

RevenantKioku

sp0rsk said:
Let's not, and say we did.
Marvelous!
Now let's ravel in the spectacle that is this shitty game in front of us!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Amir0x said:
So will we masturbate over the game in another thread again instead? IT'S THE SAME THING.

Suda51, maybe Heroes will be good! Berieve.

Obviously, it's not the same thing, or bepbo would actually like this game.

Bebpo

Banned
Now the main problems with the game are:

Outside of battle:
--The camera is fairly bad you don't have much control over it.
--The control is awful as shown in the vids. It's hard to just move straight in small areas.
--The graphics are incredibly terrible and dark. It's like Interstate 76' but worse. So it's hard to find things.
--The 8-bit text is a nice style but it's not very fun to read
--You have to run around from person to person until your objective shows up
--The cutscenes are really boring. Two unemotional characters standing and talking for minutes on end.
--The dialogue isn't any good.
--You have to keep referencing the map because the graphics are so bad it's hard to see where you are going
--The guy isn't funny :(

In battle:
--The camera is pretty terrible. It always stays behind you and you're always locked on to an enemy. So if you jump and you're near the enemy you will jump over them the because of the camera it looks like they just slide around. It's just really bad.
--Each enemy is like a boss fight and takes a while despite being just slash/slash/slash. After enough slashes you can do super slashing which destroys one body part then you go back to normal slashing. You have to just repeat this formula over and over until all body parts are gone and then you hit triangle to do the finisher.
--The finisher mini-games are lame and what's worse is that if you mess them up you have to watch the BLOOD DOWN THE SWORD animation EVERY TIME without being able to skip it. This is annoying if the time limits are tight and you keep messing up. Meanwhile the enemy never gets up so it's just time consuming and lame.
--O button is a context-senstive button, but most of the time it just does a lame kick. Every once and a while it does a backflip.
--When you get hit it pauses for a sec and if you time it right you can call your violin buddy in to save you from taking damage.
--Right analogue rolls around like God of War, but what's annoying is that you can't block or roll during attacks. So if you start slashing and the enemy goes for an attack, you can't cancel your slash and dodge out of the way. You just have to attack slowly and dodge every so often or take the hits.
--Battling with the guy is the same except he shoots/shoots/shoots.

Oh but you can dress Saya in different skirts/blouses/shoes and Aoyama in different shirts you find/unlock throughout the game. The menus are nice and the music is great.

Tokubetsu

Bebpo said:
Now the main problems with the game are:

Outside of battle:
--The camera is fairly bad you don't have much control over it.
--The control is awful as shown in the vids. It's hard to just move straight in small areas.
--The graphics are incredibly terrible and dark. It's like Interstate 76' but worse. So it's hard to find things.
--The 8-bit text is a nice style but it's not very fun to read
--You have to run around from person to person until your objective shows up
--The cutscenes are really boring. Two unemotional characters standing and talking for minutes on end.
--The dialogue isn't any good.
--You have to keep referencing the map because the graphics are so bad it's hard to see where you are going
--The guy isn't funny :(

In battle:
--The camera is pretty terrible. It always stays behind you and you're always locked on to an enemy. So if you jump and you're near the enemy you will jump over them the because of the camera it looks like they just slide around. It's just really bad.
--Each enemy is like a boss fight and takes a while despite being just slash/slash/slash. After enough slashes you can do super slashing which destroys one body part then you go back to normal slashing. You have to just repeat this formula over and over until all body parts are gone and then you hit triangle to do the finisher.
--The finisher mini-games are lame and what's worse is that if you mess them up you have to watch the BLOOD DOWN THE SWORD animation EVERY TIME without being able to skip it. This is annoying if the time limits are tight and you keep messing up. Meanwhile the enemy never gets up so it's just time consuming and lame.
--O button is a context-senstive button, but most of the time it just does a lame kick. Every once and a while it does a backflip.
--When you get hit it pauses for a sec and if you time it right you can call your violin buddy in to save you from taking damage.
--Right analogue rolls around like God of War, but what's annoying is that you can't block or roll during attacks. So if you start slashing and the enemy goes for an attack, you can't cancel your slash and dodge out of the way. You just have to attack slowly and dodge every so often or take the hits.
--Battling with the guy is the same except he shoots/shoots/shoots.

Oh but you can dress Saya in different skirts/blouses/shoes and Aoyama in different shirts you find/unlock throughout the game. The menus are nice and the music is great.

Not enough redeeming qualities.

during the training mission against the three girls on the rooftop, how do you execute the triangle kill where it requires you to spin the analogue sticks? it's not working?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Amir0x said:

Oh, get off your high horse, Amir0x. You're such a graphics whore it's not even funny. I'm not going to defend Blood+, but **** man. Killer7 was great. Just because you didn't understand it doesn't mean you can hate it.

Bebpo

Banned
Barry Lightning said:
during the training mission against the three girls on the rooftop, how do you execute the triangle kill where it requires you to spin the analogue sticks? it's not working?

You're not supposed to spin the stick. It's like the locks in Splinter Cell where you have to fight the right spot (where it vibrates heavily) and hold it there.

Amir0x

Banned
TheTrin said:
Oh, get off your high horse, Amir0x. You're such a graphics whore it's not even funny. I'm not going to defend Blood+, but **** man. Killer7 was great. Just because you didn't understand it doesn't mean you can hate it.

3 problems with your little scenario

- Killer 7 graphics were great, its lone redeeming value outside of 'story'
- I own the game, beat it twice, it has atrocious gameplay - some of the worst of any title I played this gen - and apparently I'm not alone in this view since it got many poor reviews. They feel like a complete afterthought, and I've already outlined my problems with it.
- Trying to claim someone didn't "understand" something outlines a high horse, not pointing out the fact that this title has shitty gameplay

Top Bottom