• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: Impressions After 40 Hours (EDGE)

Ferrio

Banned
Not too worried about the weapons count, In DS1 I came across the black knight sword in the first two hours, beat the entire game using only that sword. In DS2 i found a fire sword in the first 2 hours, beat the entire game using only that sword. So many useless shitty weapons in the souls games. Just give me some good epic boss fights and lots of secrets and i will be happy.

I loved experimenting with shitty weapons. Power stance whips wooo.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Re playability is the least of my issues for a 40 hr game. Its still crazy to me how many people can find time to do multiple plsythoroughs. Haha

Makes me think back to when I was a kid. How I could play through rpgs multiple times. Then I realize my time management hasn't gotten worse. I just am able to buy more games now and more games also get released I think?

theofficefan99

I honestly don't care about the lack of weapons. Game looks like a great time and that's all that matters. Though I do hope there's a more cohesive story to string together than DkS2.

Raide

Having all those useless weapons just gave players more things to replay the game over and over with. Its not just that some players keep using the same old weapon over and over to beat the game but that the game gives you the option to try something fresh over and over.

The things I love about the Souls series and weapons are the designs, nomenclature, and process of acquiring them. I can't say I won't be disappointed if there's so little weapons in the game, but it surely won't change my intention of buying and playing the fuck out of this one.

I don't mind if there are a smaller number of weapons but the ones that are there are more clearly differentiated. There was a kind of analysis paralysis for me in Dark Souls with the sheer number of different weapons, many of which were very similar to each other.

Mandelbo

what is this "beast mode" everyone is talking about ?

Supposedly you'll be able to transform into a beast at some point during the game, but most of the talk around it is conjecture since we've had so little information on it. There's a boss character in one of the trailers that does this, too.

Whats up with the lack of items? That's kind of disappointing. I mean weapons/armor were relatively cosmetic in the Souls games but its still nice to have variety.

Yep, I worry the game will be more "Action-y" and less an RPG/RPG-lite or whatever.

Don't worry be happy.

Honestly if each weapon caters to a specific play style then i'm happy. It's like they removed the fluff weapons. Everyone knows Uchikatana was the best kanata and the others sucked.

badb0y

Maybe I was a shitty Dark Souls player but I only used like 3 weapons in Dark Souls And like 2 weapons in Dark Souls 2. The fact that they are cutting down the weapon choice but increasing the depth on each weapon is much more exciting than coming across the same garbage weapons over and over.

GulAtiCa

I hope the weapon upgrade paths can help to make weapons diverse from each other. Be great it upgrades changed how they look, even maybe how they work to some extent.

Maybe I was a shitty Dark Souls player but I only used like 3 weapons in Dark Souls And like 2 weapons in Dark Souls 2. The fact that they are cutting down the weapon choice but increasing the depth on each weapon is much more exciting than coming across the same garbage weapons over and over.

Nah it's not just you. Once you find the weapon you want and start upgrading the rest kind of become redundant.

dugdug

Banned
I'm a little confused about the concern over replayability. Are they saying it'll play the same every time you play it? And if that's what they're saying, how is that any different than Demon's or Dark? Not a problem for me at all, if that's the case.

Could be totally reading that wrong, though.

what is this "beast mode" everyone is talking about ?

eeFFOwn.jpg

Beaulieu

And how many you use them?

its not about how many you used, its about having the choice
no need to get so defensive guys, 6 weapons in 40 hours is disappointing, even hardcore fans of the souls game should agree to that

however, once the community digs in, i'm sure they'll find a lot more than 6.

no need to get so defensive guys, 6 weapons in 40 hours is disappointing, even hardcore fans of the souls game should agree to that

Its not a souls game.

Afrocious

Also don't forget that every weapon transforms into a completely different weapons with completely different movesets

I was just about to post this. Aside from the players only finding a few weapons not meaning those were all the weapons, all the weapons transform.

Playing Monster Hunter 4 has shown me that transforming weapons are a whole different beast from your regular sword or gun.

GulAtiCa

Took me 100 hours to beat Dark Souls 2 when I became new to the series. I was very slow and particulate. But now I can beat the whole game w/ all areas (plus do co-op/invasions) in like 30ish hours. Prob lot shorter if I didn't do so much co-op/do every area.

Curious to see how long Bloodborne will last me. I'm guessing at least 50 hours. That be awesome.

Stimpack

And repeat, this is very very great

"Gone is the dark fantasy, the faded crumbled majesty of the Souls series. Bloodborne is filthy, grisly, and very, very scary. It's a horror game."

"Bloodborne is Hidetaka Miyazaki's brutal riposte to the section of his playerbase that thinks it has seen it all before"

4hfgtrm.gif

lol, haven't seen that gif before.

I'm starting to get very excited now that the release is just around the corner. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

*edit* The weapon thing doesn't come as a surprise to me. As long as they're good and we get more in DLC. I'll assume that there will be more than 6, mainly because FROM likes to keep things hidden. If there are at least 12, I think I'll be happy. I'm more concerned about armor. I like a variety of equipment.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

To be fair is 6 trick weapons and 6 guns found in 40 hours. And since trick weapons have a second form with a different moveset so its actually 18 weapons in total.

It's 12 weapons - 6 weapons 6 guns. And each weapon transfoms so effectively they're 12 weapons

Also there's not much of a choice if half of the weapons are utter trash. I'm sure no one will miss having great equipment like broken short swords or hollow wooden bucklers.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
i am crying

for various reasons

one being one of the worlds biggest souls fans is currently in prison (don't ask)

and we're sending letters back and forth

the letters basically contain a bunch of bloodborne-hype talk

he will miss the launch

i feel so sad for him

I hope the weapon upgrade paths can help to make weapons diverse from each other. Be great it upgrades changed how they look, even maybe how they work to some extent.

First 18 Minutes

Skip to 3:50 in that video(Beware it spoils the Hub Area). Youll notice 3 slots above where the weapon stats and scaling are. Im assuming this is what will indicate what kind of upgrade you have on your weapon. Watching a bit further when the player equips the weapons shows those slots filled in with a sort of picture. Possibly indicating what goes where.

I think weapon customization will be a big thing. Especially if we can put 3 different modifiers on 1 weapon.

But that's more like 12 weapons since it's 6 weapons and 6 guns..but yeah. As long as the weapons are unique.

Edit: Beaten!

playXray

OMG this is exciting. I have really tried to avoid any news or info on Bloodborne but I've caved and I'm now salivating like a mad dog. I need more! Release the game now damnit!

Top Bottom