• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne is a great game, but a bad Souls game.

Agreed. It's much like arguing New Super Luigi U isn't a Super Mario game.

On topic, I wasn't enjoying Bloodborne after a dozen hours, and called it quits there. If it had been the first 'Souls-like' I guess I would have cut it a bit more slack, been less bored with the presentation, as the 4th from the same developer it feels like a rushed cash-in. I hope DS3 does more to either shake up the formula, or at least take advantage of being on current-gen systems to at least feel like an advancement of some sort.

holy shit @ rushed cash-in

GorillaJu

I don't think Sony is letting Bloodborne's success slip out of their hands. They don't want a Demon's Souls situation, they want an established IP and more of it.

SCEJ's external dev department doesn't quite work like that. SCEE and SCEA properties like God of War, Uncharted, The Show do aim to become franchises if they find success, but the logistics of having From work with the external development team when they are already owned by a publisher means that deals like Bloodborne are special cases and not so often regular occurrences.

This is just my prediction, as a die-hard Bloodborne fan, I really do hope it gets sequels. And I do think that the game's producers were really pleased with how BB went on all fronts, and I'm sure they hope to work with them again in the future. I just don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

VertPin

SCEJ's external dev department doesn't quite work like that. SCEE and SCEA properties like God of War, Uncharted, The Show do aim to become franchises if they find success, but the logistics of having From work with the external development team when they are already owned by a publisher means that deals like Bloodborne are special cases and not so often regular occurrences.

This is just my prediction, as a die-hard Bloodborne fan, I really do hope it gets sequels. And I do think that the game's producers were really pleased with how BB went on all fronts, and I'm sure they hope to work with them again in the future. I just don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

FROMSOFT has gotten so big that it's not impossible to develop two games at once. I can definitely see Bloodborne 2 on the works after the expansion.

Corto

Bloodborne was made by From's A team. It's not a Souls game it's an A Team Game ™.

The-a-team-the-cast-mr-t-george-peppard-dwight-schultz-dirk-bendict.jpg

Knuf

On topic, I wasn't enjoying Bloodborne after a dozen hours, and called it quits there. If it had been the first 'Souls-like' I guess I would have cut it a bit more slack, been less bored with the presentation, as the 4th from the same developer it feels like a rushed cash-in. I hope DS3 does more to either shake up the formula, or at least take advantage of being on current-gen systems to at least feel like an advancement of some sort.

tumblr_mhhrs9CCgi1rvm5oeo1_400.gif

This has to be one the shittiest post I have ever read on NeoGAF.
Well done, Pandy.

Admittedly my first Souls game, but I actually don't think Bloodborne is a great game. I'm coming at it from a perspective where I really had no idea what to expect from it, I never even really followed the series. I just knew they were supposed to be really hard.

The visuals were not very good, and I just find the game design to be needlessly confusing and punishing. If the game had an "easy" option where I could respawn where I died and basically bypass all of the punishing the game does for dying, I probably would have enjoyed it a little. However it still has a multitude of issues where even then I'm not sure I would consider it a great game.

The downsides to Bloodborne are a lack of build variety and because of it a lack of incentive towards replayability, but aside from that the game is amazing.

NEO0MJ

FROMSOFT has gotten so big that it's not impossible to develop two games at once. I can definitely see Bloodborne 2 on the works after the expansion.

If that happens anytime soon then it'll be by the B team, and no one wants that.

Zaventem

Look at all y'all guess how many people work at from. Has a number ever been dropped? A statement made anywhere? If not stop with all this bs "rushing" talk. You're worse than the people trying to figure out how platinum juggles it's projects.

All I want is better incentive to explore. This means better rewards, and more meaningful and varied ways to improve your character. I am really hoping the expansion improves this.

This may be a Souls thing, but it doesn't matter as Bloodborne would be better off for it. It was incredibly unsatisfactory to explore, other than to find shortcuts and sometimes an NPC or weapon.

But those moments weren't often enough.

I want more places to explore, more nooks and crannies that reward my risk-taking adventuring with meaningful items or lore/characters, more weapons/guns...

I put off completing Bloodborne with the hope that the expansion adds to the vanilla game.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I dont see how this analogy fits in comparison.

When was Bloodborne ever considered a spin off....Bloodborne's main character was in a Souls game? Captain Toad is considered to be a new IP by some but IMO its a spin off. The 3D World Toad level.

And a rushed cash-in Oh my. Seems when it comes to Bloodborne lately I learn all sorts of new definitions. So far I have learned I didnt know the definition of new IP and whats considered a cash-in.

First we went from Bloodborne going to the faster combat, less blocking as an uh oh DmC here we come! to this.

It isnt a Souls game.

denshuu

The fact that it wasn't a Souls game was the primary reason why it was a great game. They ditched the strafe-until-you-get-a-backstab combat that made Souls fights less interesting for a system that required timing and twitch reflexes, and further made a health system that rewarded offense rather than passivity.

The phrase "A good game, but a bad ____ game" is silly. You're determining a game's value by how closely it adheres to the conventions set up by previous games, regardless of whether or not the conventions themselves are good. It's like saying that Duke Nukem 3D is a bad Duke game because there isn't any sidescrolling in it.

Gurrry

I will say this, ive beaten and played DS 1 and 2 multiple times. And I still havent completed BB and ive had it since launch.

BB is an incredible game. Im not sure why it didnt grab me as intensely as the others though. One of these days im sure ill get balls deep into it again... but I do agree that there is something different about it than the dark souls games. However, thats not a bad thing at all.

They had partnered with Bamco before Sony could realize the potential From had with these kinds of games, causing Sony to secure a project with From as soon as they could.
so, bandai namco is the reason demon's souls couldn't be continued?

It very clearly fits the spiritual successor model From has been doing since King's Field, where the Souls games spawned from. It runs on so many similar themes and principles it's in the same "body" of titles.

Spiritual successor today also might mean full-blown replacement. I think everybody hyped for Bloodstained truly look at it as the direct continuation and replacement for Castlevania. Yoshida's argument can hold more weight in that context, for Bloodborne is not a replacement of the Souls titles. It is still very clearly in the same vein as them, almost directly so.
bloodborne very clearly has dna from souls games just as souls games has it from king's field, that much is true, but the king's field series has been described directly, as a spiritual predecessor to souls. bloodborne very clearly has many similarities but it is its own name, separate from souls, but still related. i dunno about he "full-blown replacement" thing but I pretty much agree with the rest of you.

Thanks guys! I for one cannot wait for the future of Bloodborne. :)
thank sony/fromsoftware, not us :p

so you are saying that the likelihood of a bloodborne sequel is low?

bloodborne is the first critically acclaimed game of the generation that isn't a remaster or a cross-gen title. and i'm pretty sure it may be a contender for many goty awards.

I will say this, ive beaten and played DS 1 and 2 multiple times. And I still havent completed BB and ive had it since launch.

BB is an incredible game. Im not sure why it didnt grab me as intensely as the others though. One of these days im sure ill get balls deep into it again... but I do agree that there is something different about it than the dark souls games. However, thats not a bad thing at all.

it really doesn't have a lot of reason to play beyond NG+. you can technically Platinum the game by end of NG. i know that's not really the end goal for a lot of people with these games, but BB doesn't really have any incentive to continue playing after you've beaten it the first time. i feel like from Demon's to BB, there's been a steady decline in this kind of content.

in Demon's, there were several characters and plot lines that were extinguished if you made certain choices that you'd have to wait until NG+ to reverse and see.

Dark Souls, there were a handful of choices, mostly involving NPC characters, that you'd have to replay to see a different outcome. And most of the time it wasn't really interesting and/or important.

i don't even know if one exists in DkS2 because i haven't even completed it.

in Bloodborne, the only choice is which ending you want to see out of 3 choices (one of which is basically buried inside a mechanic you aren't fully aware exists), and is easily circumvented by save scumming.

that said, Bloodborne is easily my 2nd favorite behind Demon's Souls in terms of From's action-RPG output. it's a fantastic game and i've continued to play it a fair bit even after grabbing the Platinum for it. i just really love the art direction and atmosphere.

NEO0MJ

bloodborne is the first critically acclaimed game of the generation that isn't a remaster or a cross-gen title. and i'm pretty sure it may be a contender for many goty awards.

What do you mean? There was SuperMario 3D world, Tearaway, and Bayonetta 2. Probably more that skipped my mind as well.

I understand the criticisms of not as much incentive due to the reasons mentioned here, however I thought the game just felt and played so fucking good that I had to come back for NG+ after a break. At first I felt the same way, but it almost reminded me of a David Lynch movie replaying it in NG+ now. Looking at everything again is giving things a new meaning I didn't grasp or flew over my head the first tome around and so on.

Besides, whipping the shit out of some of the most out of control enemy and boss designs I've ever seen never gets old...at least right now.

What do you mean? There was SuperMario 3D world, Tearaway, and Bayonetta 2. Probably more that skipped my mind as well.
didnt know about super Mario 3d world so there's that, and yes bayonets 2 was released before bloodborne. So you got me. TearAway wasn't critically acclaimed though.

I understand the criticisms of not as much incentive due to the reasons mentioned here, however I thought the game just felt and played so fucking good that I had to come back for NG+ after a break. At first I felt the same way, but it almost reminded me of a David Lynch movie replaying it in NG+ now. Looking at everything again is giving things a new meaning I didn't grasp or flew over my head the first tome around and so on.

Besides, whipping the shit out of some of the most out of control enemy and boss designs I've ever seen never gets old...at least right now.

I agree. Bloodborne isn't a Souls game, which is why it's called Bloodborne. But it has my favorite combat, art, music and lore of the Soulsborne games, as I much prefer cosmic horror to dark fantasy. Level design is excellent as well. Besides, I don't really care about a ton of builds. Less is more as the saying goes and I've always been more of a quality above quantity kind of guy. That and I'm sure the expansion will add some really great stuff.

This and Majora's Mask are my favorite games of all time. I must have a thing for moons.

psychotron

This game was enough to actually get me into the souls games. It's mechanics flow so well that you can actually focus on the method your supposed to follow to progress. Made it easier to understand how souls games function instead of just thinking the controls are slow and that's why you keep dying.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the combat in bb makes it hard to play dark souls/demons soul now

although I'm waiting for the ps4 version of ds2 to drop price to get it, i want to know how it feels like to play a dark souls game in 60fps

B-Team is working on DaS3. Bloodborne 2 if it starts development right after the expansion is more than likely A-Team.
Miyasaki is directing DS3 so hardly B-team, if anything someone else at FROM is probably overseeing/directing the BB expansion.

VertPin

the combat in bb makes it hard to play dark souls/demons soul now

although I'm waiting for the ps4 version of ds2 to drop price to get it, i want to know how it feels like to play a dark souls game in 60fps

Miyasaki is directing DS3 so hardly B-team, if anything someone else at FROM is probably overseeing/directing the BB expansion.

It was confirmed that Miyazaki was directing the BlB expansion

Also, DaS3 started development before the big M was even involved. All this talk of him being the main director is bullocks. Not trying to be rude here, but a "co-directing" position is much more believable for DaS3.

Regardless, it will be fantastic. DeS, DaS, BlB, are great. DaS2 had major development reworks...I'm sure the troubled development of that has taught any staff at FS how to push for an even better game.

I have high expectations for Dark Souls 3, I will be there day one.

Persona7

Banned
B-Team is working on DaS3. Bloodborne 2 if it starts development right after the expansion is more than likely A-Team.

Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 share a lot of people in the credits.

It was confirmed that Miyazaki was directing the BlB expansion

Also, DaS3 started development before the big M was even involved. All this talk of him being the main director is bullocks. Not trying to be rude here, but a "co-directing" position is much more believable for DaS3.

Regardless, it will be fantastic. DeS, DaS, BlB, are great. DaS2 had major development reworks...I'm sure the troubled development of that has taught any staff at FS how to push for an even better game.

I have high expectations for Dark Souls 3, I will be there day one.

Miyazaki is directing Dark Souls 3 like he did with Bloodborne. He is working on the game directly but has a co-director to help.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840059

4Gamer:
Oh, that sure is a relief! But are you able to keep up your presidential duties at the same time?

Miyazaki:
Yeah, I’m getting by. I learned a lot from developing Dark Souls, so I have another person at the director level supporting me on this project, and I’m finding a way to make things work.

Since this interview is about Bloodborne, I’d rather not talk too much about my role as president of From Software, but simply put, one of my conditions for taking on the role of president was that I would be able to remain involved in the day-to-day game development.

Persona7

Banned
Source? Pardon my ignorance, I apologize.

Is there a chart that is updated? I'm curious now, but am far too lazy to go through each credits lit.

I did start comparing them a while back but I lost interest pretty quickly because I was copying and pasting so many names. I stopped once I got to animators and environmental artists because there were a ton of names from outsourced companies but they still worked on both games. I will see if I still have the unfinished text file.

edit : I can't find it but maybe I will just re-do it soon.

VertPin

I did start comparing them a while back but I lost interest pretty quickly because I was copying and pasting so many names. I stopped once I got to animators and environmental artists because there were a ton of names from outsourced companies but they still worked on both games. I will see if I still have the unfinished text file.

Thank you for the response. I appreciate it.

Bless us with Blood and Praise the Sun :D

Faabulous

I've played the shit out of DeS, DaS and DaS 2. My favorite build is to go full on offense with a 2 handed weapon. In DaS 2 I played with power-stanced maces. Never used a shield, made the game too slow for me, I always wanted "in your face" action (yeah, sue me). Finished all 3 games like this, even got "The Dark Soul" achiev in DaS 2.

With that in mind, coming into Bloodborne, I felt right at home. It was like playing my favorite games, except a little easier now. So it's not like Bloodborne is a bad Soul's game, in my opinion it's a great one, it's just that DaS and DeS allowed more flexibility in builds, and that's the ONE aspect Bloodborne didn't bring over, because if you played the souls game anything like me, getting into bb will feel like coming home.

Top Bottom