• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne load times look to be a bit longer than hoped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure that the loading times will be addressed in a patch, so they shouldn't be a major issue for anyone interested in the game.

...but seriously, 30-40 seconds after death is atrocious, especially in a game where the difficulty is a huge draw. The game won't suddenly turn into shit if you admit that much.

GRaider81

God fucking damn. Wow. I wan't going to bother, but are you by any chance blind? Have your eyes popped?

This "Don't say anything, but good things about a game before release." needs to stop.

I did watch the eclipse this morning so possibly.

People are complaining about 30-40 second loads and a non interesting load screen. Let that sink in for a while. I recommend half a minute.

USC-fan

Banned
If you are worry about load times you should get a ssd. Best upgrade for ps4.

Using a hdd of course you going to have load times. It all a trade off....

30 seconds every time you die.

In a souls (style) game.

Do you know how much that's going to add up?

10 minutes? Not seeing the problem, honestly. The games tries to punish you if you die but not too much so that it becomes hopeless. A 30 seconds load time is a poetic solution.

JimPanzer

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Wabba

God fucking damn. Wow. I wan't going to bother, but are you by any chance blind? Have your eyes popped?

This "Don't say anything, but good things about a game before release." needs to stop.

I agree to some degree, but i still think that there is no need to make a thread about a game having 10 second longer loading times then regular games.

Seventy70

I did watch the eclipse this morning so possibly.

People are complaining about 30-40 second loads and a non interesting load screen. Let that sink in for a while. I recommend half a minute.

I let it sink in and I still don't get your point. 40 seconds of load times aren't a pain in the ass every time you die? You are going to be doing that frequently. That time adds up as you play. Let's say you die 10 times in one 30 minute session. That's 5 minutes of staring at a blank screen right there. No one is saying they aren't going to buy the game over this or anything, but to say no one should complain is stupid

Imagine sitting through 3 computer boot ups every time you die. It barely takes 40 seconds to do a whole system and game boot.

brau

will this still be the case if i have a SATA drive? I know that helped a bunch on Inquisition. My loading times where not even close as long as they were on regular HDD.

Good for you. I'm sorry you had so much trouble with the game. Maybe you should have picked Pyromancer (... getting my souls games mixed up) and built a broken character like me. :D

The greater impact this loading screen will have is on soul farming for people who are good at these games.

JimPanzer

Good for you. I'm sorry you had so much trouble with the game. Maybe you should have picked Royal and built a broken character like me. :D

The greater impact this loading screen will have is on soul farming for people who are good at these games.

Okay, so you knew what you were doing before you started playing (as in building a broken character / using a guide)? I have roughly 300 hours in DS and none of my playthroughs were below 20 deaths.
Guess I'm getting old, but min/maxing on the first playthrough is not how I enjoy my souls games.

Foggy

I let it sink in and I still don't get your point. 40 seconds of load times aren't a pain in the ass every time you die? You are going to be doing that frequently. That time adds up as you play. Let's say you die 10 times in one 30 minute session. That's 5 minutes of staring at a blank screen right there. No one is saying they aren't going to buy the game over this or anything, but to say no one should complain is stupid

So if the load time is 20 seconds then in your same scenario you're spending about 3 1/2 minutes of "staring at a blank screen". Oh lawd, the injustice of it all.

If you played Skyrim on console you basically know what to expect.

Only problem is Skyrim you don't die every couple minutes.

Still excited.

GRaider81

you actually just watch the blank screens? Yes load times can be irritating but we are all used to it by now (especially souls games)

I'll probably just take a quick gander at GAF Everytime I die. Should be enough time to read about 5-10 posts or so.

Respect

iDs8Lo0r5LloM.gif

Seriously though, I get it if this is an annoyance to some...but if this is the worst thing about this game...UMfuckingBASA...can't wait.

Grady

What's wrong with it? Seriously. If we ever want to be fixed, we are going to have to complain. "Oh no. You found something bad about a game. Stop ruining my hype mellow brah"

Ok, so listen. There is something wrong with every single game that exists. A lot of games have issues much worse than this. So it would be ok to make a thread for every existing issue of every game ever made? That is what your saying. Loading time is an issue on such a small scale its not even funny. Has nothing to do with ruining hype. It has to do with people grasping at straws trying so hard to find something, anything wrong with a certain game. Or the hardware limitations are not understood. The ps4 is only so powerful. If that is the time it takes to generate the world, so be it. What would you have them do? Scale the game down? Make it less detailed? Less enemies? You tell me. It sounds like a hardware issue with the platform the game was developed on. There has to be a compromise somewhere. Not entirely developers fault. Surely you understand that.

10 minutes? Not seeing the problem, honestly. The games tries to punish you if you die but not too much so that it becomes hopeless. A 30 seconds load time is a poetic solution.

Spin spin spin! Spin it till it sounds good.

It's the developers vision to make you stare 45 seconds at the same bland logo everytime you either die or warp to an area.

Emedan

Seriously a thread for this... Neogaf is the most cynical forum I've ever read, makes me want to kill myself..

Seventy70

So if the load time is 20 seconds then in your same scenario you're spending about 3 1/2 minutes of "staring at a blank screen". Oh lawd, the injustice of it all.

Where did I say it was the end of the world or anything? I have the LE pre ordered and will play the game no matter what load times, but that doesn't mean they can't be improved. Especially since you will be dying a lot. It just really bothers me that people complain over people complaining about a legitimate problem.
Ok, so listen. There is something wrong with every single game that exists. A lot of games have issues much worse than this. So it would be ok to make a thread for every existing issue of every game ever made? That is what your saying. Loading time is an issue on such a small scale its not even funny. Has nothing to do with ruining hype. It has to do with people grasping at straws trying so hard to find something, anything wrong with a certain game. Or the hardware limitations are not understood. The ps4 is only so powerful. If that is the time it takes to generate the world, so be it. What would you have them do? Scale the game down? Make it less detailed? Less enemies? You tell me. It sounds like a hardware issue with the platform the game was developed on. There has to be a compromise somewhere. Not entirely developers fault. Surely you understand that.
So basically you're thread whining? If you don't care about this thread, don't come in here. Is that so hard? Who said anything about ruining hype? Grasping hard to find something? Do you have evidence for that? Hardware power has little to do with long load times. There are ways to optimize them.

Noobcraft

The average PS3 player died 860 times before completing Dark Souls 2. If each loading time was 30 seconds the time spent staring at the loading screen is over 6 hours.

Ahh, I see it now. The load times aren't even a small issue, they are actually a good thing for the gamer as they are allowed to ponder what they did wrong.

The lengths people will go to defend their purchases will never cease to amaze me.

The average PS3 player died 860 times before completing Dark Souls 2. If each loading time was 30 seconds the time spent staring at the loading screen is over 6 hours.

I was trying to look up the average death per run, I assumed it was around 300, but if it's up in the 800 range than you just proved my point for me.

catbrush

Console Souls games have always been like this iirc. The game isn't Super Meat Boy. If you die, use those 30-40 seconds to rest your nerves and revise your strategy.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I re-read my sentence. I'll take the blame for wording that poorly. I meant the people blindly following along and hyping up Yoshichan, not him personally. Let the record show that I have nothing against him. I even remember being concerned that he hurt his hand and couldn't play during Dark Souls's launch.

I'm not putting people on ignore, because that does create the echo chamber you're describing. Not sure why you would suggest that when I made it clear that's exactly what I didn't want.
I think that you're a great poster :) always have. Peace and love, brother.

Jobbs

Banned
sooooo -- can anyone suggest a good value on an SSD, and is it pretty straightforward swapping HDs in the PS4? is there anything important to know?

cheezcake

Apparently it's impossible to look forward to Bloodborne and simultaneously dislike long load times.

Yeh...
I still can't fucking wait for release day but at the same time I think long load times are shitty and an objectively bad element of the game. The most weird part of this thread to me are the people trying to spin this into a good thing or saying it doesn't matter, you can still immensely enjoy a game while accepting some parts could be improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom