• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Dubloon7

Banned
Just about beat cleric beast on my first try. Now I can level and it should get it this time.
i've platted BB years ago, but started it back up. playing remote play on my PC and died to CB ppossibly 4 times due to internet stutter. pisses me off tremendously but managed the easy fight. i take it simple right now just farming and helping others to clear CB and FG

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
i've platted BB years ago, but started it back up. playing remote play on my PC and died to CB ppossibly 4 times due to internet stutter. pisses me off tremendously but managed the easy fight. i take it simple right now just farming and helping others to clear CB and FG
I've actually never beaten it. I got stuck a few years back, gave it away and forgot about it. I was too used to my sheild from dark souls!

I'll try again tonight. Any hints on what a person should focus on for stats? I don't remember.

Dubloon7

Banned
I've actually never beaten it. I got stuck a few years back, gave it away and forgot about it. I was too used to my sheild from dark souls!

I'll try again tonight. Any hints on what a person should focus on for stats? I don't remember.

focus on whatever. I generally start on lvl 20 each for health and stamina, and then work toward either STR to lvl 20 or SKL to lvl 20, depending on the weapon of choice. this time around for me i am focusing on different weapons, but may just go back to the holy greatsword once i pick it up. it's been a few years but i believe i mostly focused on SKL b/c of the weapon of choice, and never touched bloodtinge or arcane b/c the weapons/"magic" were not as fun for me.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
focus on whatever. I generally start on lvl 20 each for health and stamina, and then work toward either STR to lvl 20 or SKL to lvl 20, depending on the weapon of choice. this time around for me i am focusing on different weapons, but may just go back to the holy greatsword once i pick it up. it's been a few years but i believe i mostly focused on SKL b/c of the weapon of choice, and never touched bloodtinge or arcane b/c the weapons/"magic" were not as fun for me.
Sounds good, I went with the axe myself. It is pretty good so far. I used the cleaver last time.

Dubloon7

Banned
Sounds good, I went with the axe myself. It is pretty good so far. I used the cleaver last time.
i normally start out with the axe, but it swings too slow. it is stronger than most in the beginning but i go more for stamina swings and quickness. Right now i have equipped spear/cleaver and kirkhammer

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
i normally start out with the axe, but it swings too slow. it is stronger than most in the beginning but i go more for stamina swings and quickness. Right now i have equipped spear/cleaver and kirkhammer
Bought the dlc and worked through it a bit last night. Got help at Gascoigne, I didn't know more than one could help. We mopped him up in like 10 seconds, no joke.

Dubloon7

Banned
I need easy mode lol
git gud.

my previous playthru i spent hours on logaris, last night i defeated him on my 2nd attempt. heart racing, FELT GREAT. i went into fight both times, that after 2nd try i would not put up with his crap and hire for coop, but went more smooth than last time.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
git gud.

my previous playthru i spent hours on logaris, last night i defeated him on my 2nd attempt. heart racing, FELT GREAT. i went into fight both times, that after 2nd try i would not put up with his crap and hire for coop, but went more smooth than last time.
For me, I became so reliant on my sheild in all the dark souls games the absence of it takes some getting used to. I still try to block from time to time haha.

Im in old yarhnam right now, forgot about those damn giants... They own me haha.

Dubloon7

Banned
For me, I became so reliant on my sheild in all the dark souls games the absence of it takes some getting used to. I still try to block from time to time haha.

Im in old yarhnam right now, forgot about those damn giants... They own me haha.
skip them. they're pointless and slow

Dubloon7

Banned
anyone here, aside from youtube, have any tips for fighting Laurence? His fire blasts are too frequent and too strong. Will my new magic shield block these or wtf is with this design. I can't even muster a few hits in before his actions kill me off.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Haha, im dying constantly in old yarhnam. Oh man it's a great level. I feel like I shouldn't be here yet though for some reason. I just beat father Gascoigne

Dubloon7

Banned
stuck on Orphan of Kos. I NEVER seek help to fight bosses but I said NOPE to Laurence. One of the worst boss designs ever in BB. I returned to my main game and rushing thru to level up my bloodtinge to equip BLOODLETTER. I can't wait to use that from now on! Died to an instant invader who used the Rakuyo. lol

mishka_

Neo Member
Ordered a copy a few days ago. I'll start my first playthrough as soon as I finish Nioh. Very excited for this.
How does Bloodborne compare to Nioh and DS in terms of gameplay?

Dubloon7

Banned
Ordered a copy a few days ago. I'll start my first playthrough as soon as I finish Nioh. Very excited for this.
How does Bloodborne compare to Nioh and DS in terms of gameplay?
I strongly prefer Nioh over the DS/BB series, even though I am the outlier. Similar fighting mechanics, study enemies, manage equipment and improve weapons but there's no diablo loot machanic. The only issue with BB, in terms of Nioh, is you will evnetually HAVE to farm for blood vials. Primary difference in BB is the gun mechanic, no blocking stance but instead have to shoot the enemy to grab a visceral attack

Snoopycat

Banned
Haha, im dying constantly in old yarhnam. Oh man it's a great level. I feel like I shouldn't be here yet though for some reason. I just beat father Gascoigne

Nah, you're where you need to be. When you get to the area where the hunter is stand on the little steps at the edge of his area and he'll come to you, just jump back off the steps and bait him down to you, he can't heal himself so try to block him from going back up the steps while hitting him. He drop powder that strengthens your bullets. Use the powder and climb up the wall ladder to gun guy. This is the important part - just before you reach the top lock onto him, then start shooting as soon as you get up to the top. 99% of the time you'll knock him off. You just got to make sure you start shooting immediately otherwise he'll turn and move from the edge

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Nah, you're where you need to be. When you get to the area where the hunter is stand on the little steps at the edge of his area and he'll come to you, just jump back off the steps and bait him down to you, he can't heal himself so try to block him from going back up the steps while hitting him. He drop powder that strengthens your bullets. Use the powder and climb up the wall ladder to gun guy. This is the important part - just before you reach the top lock onto him, then start shooting as soon as you get up to the top. 99% of the time you'll knock him off. You just got to make sure you start shooting immediately otherwise he'll turn and move from the edge
Good tips, I'll try it tonight. My brother in law got the game last night too

Dubloon7

Banned
or be a true hunter of hunters and fight him 1v1 instead of cheezing him to fall off to his death? that fight is fun once you understand his infinite stamina but lack of molotov accuracy.

also, initial hunter does heal as every hunter you face heals ONLY ONCE per fight, unlike to poor crappy invaders who heal after every time they are hit.

Last edited:

Snoopycat

Banned
or be a true hunter of hunters and fight him 1v1 instead of cheezing him to fall off to his death? that fight is fun once you understand his infinite stamina but lack of molotov accuracy.

also, initial hunter does heal as every hunter you face heals ONLY ONCE per fight, unlike to poor crappy invaders who heal after every time they are hit.

I know how to fight him thanks

Achelexus

Honestly, for some reason this game's level design felt worse than DS3's. Like, every area feels weirdly claustrophobic and maze-like, it destroyed my willingness to replay it.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm running through this again to get the platinum before the Souls remaster drops. I only have the Fight Gherman, Presence Moon and Chalice dungeon trophies needed. I'm just blitzing through the campaign co-oping where needed as I've already beaten it once.

How hard is the chalice dungeon? Can you co-op? I dunno whether the plat is worth grinding that for? Heard horror stories about one hit bosses etc.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Get a grip on yourself man. I was offering the guy some help.
Worked great btw.

Beat the blood starved beast, vicar Amelia, and opened the gaol and abandoned work shop as well. Helped Eileen out too. Haven't played in a week or so though as I have been to busy. Im not sure where to go now. I took a left turn going out of the boss room with vicar and there are two hunters there that totally wasted me haha.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Anyone else hoping that we get a demon souls remaster if the dark souls one does well? It's really my favorite in the series. The music is just so perfect... God damn it's good!

Snoopycat

Banned
Worked great btw.

Beat the blood starved beast, vicar Amelia, and opened the gaol and abandoned work shop as well. Helped Eileen out too. Haven't played in a week or so though as I have been to busy. Im not sure where to go now. I took a left turn going out of the boss room with vicar and there are two hunters there that totally wasted me haha.

There's a wee path to the right outside the church, it leads to the next boss area. The left side is nothing but trouble

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
There's a wee path to the right outside the church, it leads to the next boss area. The left side is nothing but trouble
Sounds good, I'll try it tonight and report back.

On a side note, anyone notice an odd increase in Demon Souls remaster videos on you tube from sources like digital foundry? Talking about how now is the time? I doubt it's anything but id be all over that. Best souls game imo.

kyubajin

Duplicate post.
Btw, purchased the Old Hunters DLC and I think I accidentally got into it :D but even the first enemies seem leagues ahead of me, any particular lvl range or things to do before tackling it?

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Duplicate post.
Btw, purchased the Old Hunters DLC and I think I accidentally got into it :D but even the first enemies seem leagues ahead of me, any particular lvl range or things to do before tackling it?
I did that too, those first hunter guys are killer.

I think you need to be like level 80 or better.

I had a bit of a rough start with Bloodborne. I bought it about 2 years ago, struggled through to Bloodstarved Beast, hit a brick wall, decided I wasn't enjoying it and put the game down. I rarely give up on games, so I felt a bit bad at dropping it, but I play games for escapism and Bloodborne was just too stressful. Then, recently I decided to have another crack and finally beat BSB. That feeling of euphoria after beating it was unbelievable and that's when it started to click.

Was it plain sailing from then onwards? No! I struggled with The Shadow of Yharnam, Vicar Amelia, Martyr Logarius and Ebrietus, but I felt a change of attitude where, although they were tough, it felt like it was just a matter of time and gitting gudder before I beat them. I'm yet to play the DLC and I'm tempted to pick up Dark Souls 3, but thus far Bloodborne is perhaps my game of this generation.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I had a bit of a rough start with Bloodborne. I bought it about 2 years ago, struggled through to Bloodstarved Beast, hit a brick wall, decided I wasn't enjoying it and put the game down. I rarely give up on games, so I felt a bit bad at dropping it, but I play games for escapism and Bloodborne was just too stressful. Then, recently I decided to have another crack and finally beat BSB. That feeling of euphoria after beating it was unbelievable and that's when it started to click.

Was it plain sailing from then onwards? No! I struggled with The Shadow of Yharnam, Vicar Amelia, Martyr Logarius and Ebrietus, but I felt a change of attitude where, although they were tough, it felt like it was just a matter of time and gitting gudder before I beat them. I'm yet to play the DLC and I'm tempted to pick up Dark Souls 3, but thus far Bloodborne is perhaps my game of this generation.
Im of the same opinion but right now im at a total wall. The city after beating Rom is just a whole new level of hard and the nightmare isn't being nice either. I haven't even gotten to amygdala yet... And don't get me started on the dlc... of my. It's fun but I played for 2 hours last night and got only 1 level lol. Beat my dungeon though solo.

I think I may need to summon some help.

Oh yes, I feel your pain! I one-shotted Rom and strolled into Yahar'gul thinking I was going to steamroll the rest of the game. I quickly got my arse handed to me. There is a definite ramp up in difficulty after Rom. Here are a few things that helped in Yahar'gul:

- Level up. I was around level 50ish when I first got to Yahar'gul. After levelling up 10/15 levels, having more stamina and health is always a good thing.
- Level up your weapon. Ideally, get your weapon up to at least level 8
- Take out the bell ringing maidens. If I recall correctly, there are four of them and things are more manageable when they are gone. YouTube walkthroughs can help with their location, and EpicNameBro's videos are very good.
- Run! Do suicide runs from the lamp at the start of the area until you've found the second lamp. The area initially feels a bit confusing, but it's a pretty short distance from the first to the second lamp.

My route was to do Yahar'gul, then Cainhurst Castle, The Nightmare Frontier, Upper Cathedral Ward, The Orphanage, then the Nightmare of Mensis. I haven't touched the DLC yet, but I understand it's best to tackle it just before the final boss.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Oh yes, I feel your pain! I one-shotted Rom and strolled into Yahar'gul thinking I was going to steamroll the rest of the game. I quickly got my arse handed to me. There is a definite ramp up in difficulty after Rom. Here are a few things that helped in Yahar'gul:

- Level up. I was around level 50ish when I first got to Yahar'gul. After levelling up 10/15 levels, having more stamina and health is always a good thing.
- Level up your weapon. Ideally, get your weapon up to at least level 8
- Take out the bell ringing maidens. If I recall correctly, there are four of them and things are more manageable when they are gone. YouTube walkthroughs can help with their location, and EpicNameBro's videos are very good.
- Run! Do suicide runs from the lamp at the start of the area until you've found the second lamp. The area initially feels a bit confusing, but it's a pretty short distance from the first to the second lamp.

My route was to do Yahar'gul, then Cainhurst Castle, The Nightmare Frontier, Upper Cathedral Ward, The Orphanage, then the Nightmare of Mensis. I haven't touched the DLC yet, but I understand it's best to tackle it just before the final boss.
Where do you get so many blood chunks? I only have just got my third

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Well, I summoned a few dudes and plowed through yarghul. They were so much better than me lol. Their weapons did way more damage too. Got to nightmare of mensis and was quickly invaded and the killed... Bummer!

There are some blood chunks in the Forbidden Woods (I forget how many but maybe 2 or 3), there are quite a few in Yahar'gul, Nightmare of Mensis and Cainhurst Castle. Plus, I believe they randomly drop, but it's pretty rare. You should be able to get your weapon up to around +7, which should help you in Yahar'gul and onwards...

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
There are some blood chunks in the Forbidden Woods (I forget how many but maybe 2 or 3), there are quite a few in Yahar'gul, Nightmare of Mensis and Cainhurst Castle. Plus, I believe they randomly drop, but it's pretty rare. You should be able to get your weapon up to around +7, which should help you in Yahar'gul and onwards...
Yep, im up to 8 right now, just like 2 stones from a 9. Im putting them on Ludwig's holy blade, I like that one.

I like how I can go from a slow blade to a fast one. I need to drop some levels into arcane though so I can use Ludwig's rifle.

Yep, im up to 8 right now, just like 2 stones from a 9. Im putting them on Ludwig's holy blade, I like that one.

I like how I can go from a slow blade to a fast one. I need to drop some levels into arcane though so I can use Ludwig's rifle.

You should find Yahar'gul a bit more manageable now dude. In the lower level there are some pretty tough enemies, but you can pick your fights, or run to the boss. The boss is pretty easy, compared to the difficulty of the actual area.

After Yahar'gul, I recommend heading to Cainhurst Castle if you haven't done it already. It's a great area with a real Castlevania vibe, and there are a few more Blood Chunks..

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
You should find Yahar'gul a bit more manageable now dude. In the lower level there are some pretty tough enemies, but you can pick your fights, or run to the boss. The boss is pretty easy, compared to the difficulty of the actual area.

After Yahar'gul, I recommend heading to Cainhurst Castle if you haven't done it already. It's a great area with a real Castlevania vibe, and there are a few more Blood Chunks..
Doing cainhurst and got pretty far. Got the elevator on which is always nice

Winchester

Coming across this thread makes me want to get back into BB. I've made it through all story and optional areas in the main game and then stopped at Mergo's Loft, after beating Micolash. Instead of just powering through it and beating the game, I had to go and nab the DLC. Now I feel like I need to push through that but man is it tough. I ended up stopping at Laurence because I was getting worked over too much. It's amazing because on paper (and when you watch Laurence), he doesn't even seem that bad but for whatever reason, I can't deal with his second form. Ebrietas was the worst boss for me by far thanks to her charge/sweep shenanigans. It probably took about 30 tries but at least I put her down. For as much as I love BB, you really do need to take breaks from it because it wears you down. Unless you're a Souls vet and are used to tap dancing on boss' faces (which I am not).

Speak of the Souls games, is it even worth going back and playing DS1-3 if my entry point was BB? I keep hearing that BB was kind of the pinnacle of the Souls type games.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Good luck mate. I loved the level, but I really struggled with the boss...

Beat it last night (with summons). Was fun, dropped in to see the queen afterwards.

Beat amygdala too, that was a complete joke of a boss. Was incredibly easy.

Moved on to mensis and got the elevator going there too. That damn big spider though...

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Coming across this thread makes me want to get back into BB. I've made it through all story and optional areas in the main game and then stopped at Mergo's Loft, after beating Micolash. Instead of just powering through it and beating the game, I had to go and nab the DLC. Now I feel like I need to push through that but man is it tough. I ended up stopping at Laurence because I was getting worked over too much. It's amazing because on paper (and when you watch Laurence), he doesn't even seem that bad but for whatever reason, I can't deal with his second form. Ebrietas was the worst boss for me by far thanks to her charge/sweep shenanigans. It probably took about 30 tries but at least I put her down. For as much as I love BB, you really do need to take breaks from it because it wears you down. Unless you're a Souls vet and are used to tap dancing on boss' faces (which I am not).

Speak of the Souls games, is it even worth going back and playing DS1-3 if my entry point was BB? I keep hearing that BB was kind of the pinnacle of the Souls type games.
I think demon souls and dark souls are better myself. I'd definitely suggest them.

Beat it last night (with summons). Was fun, dropped in to see the queen afterwards.

Beat amygdala too, that was a complete joke of a boss. Was incredibly easy.

Moved on to mensis and got the elevator going there too. That damn big spider though...

Nice one! Martyr Logarius took me a while.

You can cheese that big spider by fighting it through the doorway. Be careful because it has a long reach and can still hit you through the wall.

Don't forget to do the Upper Cathedral Ward, if you haven't already...

kyubajin

Beat the game, the last few bosses weren't so tough, did most on the 2nd-3rd try. Wanna create a new character with different build for the DLC, or maybe continue this one on NG+

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Nice one! Martyr Logarius took me a while.

You can cheese that big spider by fighting it through the doorway. Be careful because it has a long reach and can still hit you through the wall.

Don't forget to do the Upper Cathedral Ward, if you haven't already...
I haven't, I better do it then. I actually didn't even think about it. Idon't think I got the key either. Back in I guess!

Top Bottom