• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne (PS4) Playstation Blog Update - New Details, New Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't people just released good, ol' fashioned gameplay screens with the HUD and everything anymore?

So that the club of negativity that you preside would not berate the company because of framerate issues and technical concerns that permeate a gams still in development.

Soriku

Q: Will zones only be filled with enemies?
A: You will feel alone.

Q: Does the game take place only in Yharnam?
A: Basically it's just in Yharnam but the city is massive and the game will take place during various times of day and weather.

So no NPCs or what?

Also even though Yharnam is a city I assume it'll be at least as big as Lordran and Drangleic.

Also did they say anything about no hub and the interconnected world or is it all just implied?

Quick summary translation of a 4Gamer.com interview with Miyazaki:

Q: (a question about dual wielding the same weapon)
A: Weapons are divided by right and left hand so you cannot dual wield certain weapons.

He says you cannot dual wield certain weapons!? So you can still dual wield most hopefully!

I am so excited!

So no NPCs or what?

Also even though Yharnam is a city I assume it'll be at least as big as Lordran and Drangleic.

Also did they say anything about no hub and the interconnected world or is it all just implied?

There are NPC's.

I remember a quote saying how the world is connected geographically and through its lore so no hub it seems

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm reading Keza's preview right now and this strikes me as odd:

Bloodborne is being made by the same team at FROM Software that brought Dark Souls 2 into the world

Really? I thought development of this was well underway while DkS 2 was being developed. If this is coming out early next year, I find it hard to believe this is mostly the DkS 2 team

I'm surprised this thread is so small. I thought Souls GAF would have this up to at least a hundred pages by now.
Well a lot of the earlier posts about this game were split up into several other threads. This seems to have become the default thread now, though. Also, we don't have hundreds of posts asking to be added to the Souls Train.

ced

Really? I thought development of this was well underway while DkS 2 was being developed. If this is coming out early next year, I find it hard to believe this is mostly the DkS 2 team

That's incorrect, as are a couple other things in it.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

I don't think that's right.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I would like there to be an "Easy mode" for this game.

That is all, thank you.

Every souls game had an easy mode. Demon's had Royalty class with OP sorcery stuff, Dark Souls had faith and after that dark magic that came with Artoria of the Abyss, Dark Souls 2 has hexes and faith. This prolly will have something like that, too.

I love using melee weapons though, magic can be fun too, but it can't beat proper weapons!

Zeliard

Development on Bloodborne started after the Artorias DLC was finished up. I think Keza MacDonald was just using Dark Souls 2 as the example as that was From's most recent game and the latest in the Souls series, and Bloodborne is clearly a game in the Souls vein.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Watching the Gametrailer hype video was basicly the thing that sold me. I love Demon's Souls (even though I suck at it) and I love Dark Souls (even though I suck at it) but right now all I can think of is playing this. I need it and soon. Spring can't come soon enough. Probably the first game, this gen, I get at launch... if I manage to resist DriveClub.

I talked about it with a friend and we both agree: it looks like Castlevania crossed with Silent Hill and set during the first world war. It just feels so bleak and haunted. Can't wait to play it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Every souls game had an easy mode. Demon's had Royalty class with OP sorcery stuff, Dark Souls had faith and after that dark magic that came with Artoria of the Abyss, Dark Souls 2 has hexes and faith. This prolly will have something like that, too.

I love using melee weapons though, magic can be fun too, but it can't beat proper weapons!

The correct answer is every souls has an easy mode, it's called summoning.

This can't be right. I believe she got this one wrong.
Development of Bloodborne started after the Artioras of the Abyss content was made. And the DkS 2 team is currently working on the DLCs.

Someone ask her where she got this information from.

Development on Bloodborne started after the Artorias DLC was finished up. I think Keza MacDonald was just using Dark Souls 2 as the example as that was From's most recent game and the latest in the Souls series, and Bloodborne is clearly a game in the Souls vein.

Guessing that aswell. She probably doesn't mean the actual Dark Souls 2 team.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
IM BACK

WHAT DID I MISS

duckroll

I wouldn't be surprised if a number of Dark Souls 2 staffers moved over to Bloodborne after the game wrapped up, given how it's a PS4 game and they certainly could use the extra resources. But I don't think that has much bearing on why Keza wrote that. She probably just assumed like most people that Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 have the same core "team" in From Software as opposed to the Armored Core team or whatever other games they make. Easy mistake to make I think.

Wereroku

I wouldn't be surprised if a number of Dark Souls 2 staffers moved over to Bloodborne after the game wrapped up, given how it's a PS4 game and they certainly could use the extra resources. But I don't think that has much bearing on why Keza wrote that. He probably just assumed like most people that Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 have the same core "team" in From Software as opposed to the Armored Core team or whatever other games they make. Easy mistake to make I think.

Aren't the DS2 team making the DLCs currently? I am sure they could move some of them off but they are actually getting the DLC out fairly quickly so I am sure it is still most of the team.

Imru’ al-Qays;116003990 said:
A little, but not really. New Londo isn't really frightening, it's just dreary. The ghosts are gimmicks: at the point in the game you usually go to New Londo they're really easy to kill provided you don't forget to pop Transient Curses. The level design is pretty straightforward. Once you get down below the Darkwraiths are intimidating at first, but they're basically just like the black and silver knights you've fought plenty of at this point in the game.

Latria, specifically 3-1, is a totally different story. It's dark and mazelike, first of all: it's very, very easy to get hopelessly lost, or to fall to your death down a pit. The sound design, as has been mentioned, is phenomenal: as you're wandering around lost you hear the moans of the prisoners, the screams of Lord Rydell (though you won't know who it is), the tinkling bells of the mindflayers, and sometimes out of nowhere operatic singing. The "hollow" prisoners moan and follow you around worshipfully but don't attack, so you get into the habit of ignoring them - except some of them do attack, without warning, when you enter their cells. The mindflayer guards are absolutely perfect. They're terrifying, and so your instinct is to play extremely cautiously, but that's exactly what'll get you paralyzed and brainsucked: the best way to kill them is to just bite the bullet and rush up to them and melee them down, which is exactly the opposite of everything Souls teaches you.

3-1 is the most scared I can ever recall being in a game, and that's including survival horror games like Dead Space and Amnesia.

Terrific post. Don't forget 3-2 with the ubiquitous heart pounding sound, blackness ALL AROUND, very narrow walkways where you can fall down to your death or be pushed down by Gargoyles. And don't get me started on going down in the cage elevator and then climbing all the fucking way up. On a narrow tower.

As I mentioned many times in the DS |OT| Tower of Latria 3-1 is the most scary level I have ever encountered in a videogame including horror games like Silent Hill and Dead Space.

But get this: I was even more afraid during Tower of Latria 3-2. I had to stop playing this game for 3 damn weeks because of 3-2.

Toxi

Banned
... Hmm. Is the areas of Latria supposed to represent something? I always thought that 3-1 was all about hope, whereas 3-2 was about reality, and 3-3 was simply when you met the thing that orchestrated this hell.
You are absolutely correct.

3-1 is literally your escape from the Prison of Hope. The mad and tortured members of the Queen's family live in constant fear and pain, yet they constantly hope for better... Often while not doing anything to further themselves. When the Slayer of Demons releases them from the cells, they follow their savior and pray, but this does nothing to help them and the hero even at the best of times will accidentally cut them down. The ways of escape present false hope; the first exit you find is a clean run that dares you to try it, yet getting struck by the arrows is dead, while the gate to Latria is locked from the inside. The only way people can escape the tower is through reaching the chapel, where they can pray to a false idol until the bells ring and the gargoyles arrive to carry the poor souls up like angels on high. The bells the Mindflayers carry are likely daily reminders of this "salvation."

3-2 has none of the ethereal or beautiful qualities of 3-1 because it is reality at its ugliest. The ambient sounds are massive heartbeats and the Slayer of Demons must traverse a pool of blood, constantly reminding you of your mortality. The enemies are former men mangled into monstrous shapes, finding constant agony instead of salvation in their hope without action. Your only "friend" here is a psychopath who tries to take advantage of your kindness, a reminder of how the real world can be less than idealistic.

3-3 is the confrontation with the one who controlled all this, and a battle of freedom against manipulation. The Old Monk hoped the golden robe was a way to escape his mortality, yet the garment simply uses him for its own interests before leaving him to the realities of his body. Then it takes on another host looking to restore their humanity, tempting them with its power. But Slayer of Demons has benefited from escaping false hope's manacles, and so we see him/her triumph over a soul imprisoned by it.

Duckroll I'll take "Think" as my custom title as an apology for threatening to Ban me over what I said in the other thread that ended up being exactly as I predicted it would be.
Sounds like "Banned" would suit you better. You posted crap that was off the mark, and intentional or not you made it sound like you had inside knowledge. When you were wrong, you doubled down on the stupid. Not impressed.

You are absolutely correct.

3-1 is literally your escape from the Prison of Hope. The mad and tortured members of the Queen's family live in constant fear and pain, yet they constantly hope for better... Often while not doing anything to further themselves. When the Slayer of Demons releases them from the cells, they follow their savior and pray, but this does nothing to help them and the hero even at the best of times will accidentally cut them down. The ways of escape present false hope; the first exit you find is a clean run that dares you to try it, yet getting struck by the arrows is dead, while the gate to Latria is locked from the inside. The only way people can escape the tower is through reaching the chapel, where they can pray to a false idol until the bells ring and the gargoyles arrive to carry the poor souls up like angels on high. The bells the Mindflayers carry are likely daily reminders of this "salvation."

3-2 has none of the ethereal or beautiful qualities of 3-1 because it is reality at its ugliest. The ambient sounds are massive heartbeats and the Slayer of Demons must traverse a pool of blood, constantly reminding you of your mortality. The enemies are former men mangled into monstrous shapes, finding constant agony instead of salvation in their hope without action. Your only "friend" here is a psychopath who tries to take advantage of your kindness, a reminder of how the real world can be less than idealistic.

3-3 is the confrontation with the one who controlled all this, and a battle of freedom against manipulation. The Old Monk hoped the golden robe was a way to escape his mortality, yet the garment simply uses him for its own interests before leaving him to the realities of his body. Then it takes on another host looking to restore their humanity, tempting them with its power. But Slayer of Demons has benefited from escaping false hope's manacles, and so we see him/her triumph over a soul imprisoned by it.

Wow, thanks for that~ Really awesome post you got there. You basically said what I SHOULD have said. The Demon in Yellow is worse than Seath (who has some similarities to him), isn't he? He put his victims through a special sort of torment...

This is why I love how Tower of Latria all connects. It's astounding. First, illusions, then the harshest of truths, then... An unveiling. You overcome illusions and realities to defeat the orchestrator of this... Misery.

Terrific post. Don't forget 3-2 with the ubiquitous heart pounding sound, blackness ALL AROUND, very narrow walkways where you can fall down to your death or be pushed down by Gargoyles. And don't get me started on going down in the cage elevator and then climbing all the fucking way up. On a narrow tower.

As I mentioned many times in the DS |OT| Tower of Latria 3-1 is the most scary level I have ever encountered in a videogame including horror games like Silent Hill and Dead Space.

But get this: I was even more afraid during Tower of Latria 3-2. I had to stop playing this game for 3 damn weeks because of 3-2.

The trek up to the old monk in 3-3 was just as bad. Stairways were narrow as hell and the chtulu heads would literally be waiting for you on the stairs. And seeing the boss of the first time
take over an invading player
was pretty damn cool.

Zabuza

Banned
I'm most interested in seeing the type of innovation Miyazaki will bring to the table when it comes to multiplayer/online features.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom