• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOODBORNE Spoiler Thread (read OP)

Attire from the fextalife wiki:
Top Hat m'lady!

Item description:
"Hat worn by Hunters who admire formality: Some hunters place an emphasis on form, as seen by the use of the threaded cane. For them, formality. beauty, and justice are the very essence of our humanity, and precisely what keeps hunters from becoming something else."

Attire from the fextalife wiki:
Top Hat m'lady!

Item description:
"Hat worn by Hunters who admire formality: Some hunters place an emphasis on form, as seen by the use of the threaded cane. For them, formality. beauty, and justice are the very essence of our humanity, and precisely what keeps hunters from becoming something else."
Fashionborne is canon yesssssss

Neff

I personally couldn't care less about spoilers. The stories in these games have always been nonsensical anyway.

While I agree on the story behind Souls being disposable nonsense (I'm a guy with a sword in a scary place and I have to not die- I don't care who's trying to kill me or why), people are being quite sensitive about gameplay spoilers regarding this title because the Souls series is traditionally a very gameplay-first experience. Also From/Sony have done a very good job of keeping a lid on the game to date, so a lot of the game's content is still unknown.

Also this strikes me as a rather silly 'spoiler thread' if we still have to spoiler tag everything :s

cerulily

While I agree on the story behind Souls being disposable nonsense (I'm a guy with a sword in a scary place and I have to not die- I don't care who's trying to kill me or why), people are being quite sensitive about gameplay spoilers regarding this title because the Souls series is traditionally a very gameplay-first experience. Also From/Sony have done a very good job of keeping a lid on the game to date, so a lot of the game's content is still unknown.

Also this strikes me as a rather silly 'spoiler thread' if we still have to spoiler tag everything :s

I disagree, actually. I think there is a really strong subtext in dark souls of liberalism vs conservatism. Or anarchy over authority. The way it's presented being ambiguous certainly doesn't mean it's thematically disposable.

Fhtagn

It's a video game. I personally couldn't care less about spoilers. The stories in these games have always been nonsensical anyway. The real joy for me comes from playing. Knowing where to get particular weapons before I play has helped me enjoy DS1 and the first Demon's Souls much more.

The strory/background lore of Dark Souls 1 is really great imho and it would have lessened the impact had it all been laid out for me ahead of time instead of slowly pieced together. Demon's and Dark 2 don't have the same depth, again imho.

JerkShep

I don't know if I want a specific number...but I'm really curious to know how many bosses are in the game, if it's more similar to DeS, DaS or DaS2 in that regard...
I'm not reading leaks though, I'll limit myself to this thread. The wait is killing me :(

cerulily

I don't know if I want a specific number...but I'm really curious to know how many bosses are in the game, if it's more similar to DeS, DaS or DaS2 in that regard...
I'm not reading leaks though, I'll limit myself to this thread. The wait is killing me :(

Honestly, i wouldn't mind if it's pared back closer to demon's souls. All of those fights were far more unique than Dark 2. And Dark 1 had some boss fights that were so throw-away that they became regular enemies later on.

Honestly, i wouldn't mind if it's pared back closer to demon's souls. All of those fights were far more unique than Dark 2. And Dark 1 had some boss fights that were so throw-away that they became regular enemies later on.

Capra and Taurus are both pretty memorable fights, I wouldn't describe them as throw away. Capra is the first major hurdle in that game for most players.

JerkShep

I completely agree. There are some amazing bosses in DaS but on multiple replays others are not really that fun to fight.

Capra and Taurus are both pretty memorable fights, I wouldn't describe them as throw away. Capra is the first major hurdle in that game for most players.

When i think of throwaway bosses I mostly think of the Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith ones, the various versions of Asylum Demon, maybe the Moonlight Butterfly.

ironcreed

Banned

Yeah, the Capra Demon destroyed me so many times I lost count. It felt great to kick their ass like regular scrubs when encountering more than one later on. It was part of the gratification and sense of growth.

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm having trouble choosing between professional, troubled childhood, & lone survivor, I want the minimum stats for Bloodtinge, Arcane, & Strength as I'll do a skill build on my first playthrough, but at the same time if one of these three stats would go to waste, I'd prefer if it was strength...

hmmm.

Capra is only memorable because it's a god awful fight.

Getting sucker punched right after you enter the fog gate is just artificial difficulty

Afrodium

Banned
Do we know that you need to beat the first boss to level? If so, I'm worried about rolling Waste of Skin. I've never used Deprived as my class. By first boss are we talking Cleric Beast or the Werewolf in the intro?

ironcreed

Banned
Capra is only memorable because it's a god awful fight.

Getting sucker punched right after you enter the fog gate is just artificial difficulty

That tight space and having to kill off the dogs first is part of what made it so memorable. I was actually filled with dread every time I walked through the fog gate until I finally beat him. It was truly one of the first great memories I have from playing Dark Souls.

Donos

I liked the capra fight but didn't think the dogs added anything to it

The dogs are all the difficulty of the fight (combined with lack of space). Without the dogs, Capra is pretty well managable. You still have to be on point but that's a Souls game.

Do we know that you need to beat the first boss to level? If so, I'm worried about rolling Waste of Skin. I've never used Deprived as my class. By first boss are we talking Cleric Beast or the Werewolf in the intro?

just shoot the boss and then ram your fist in to his head, wait till his head regenerates and do it again, in the meantime you should dodge and only make damage, when you can.

repeat that 3 times and it should be dead.

also, there are very good shortcuts, it shouldn't take you too long to get to the boss after a death.

Finalow

While I agree on the story behind Souls being disposable nonsense (I'm a guy with a sword in a scary place and I have to not die- I don't care who's trying to kill me or why) -
I think some people have no idea how stories in these games are being told, or how you're supposed to approach such stories and the really well crafted lore behind it.
which is fair, but pretending that it's "disposable nonsense" or just about a guy with a sword in a scary place is just wrong.

you need to talk (more than once) to NPCs, look at the environment and read item descriptions. take notes for your Bloodborne run if you didn't know this. even by only talking to NPCs you can already get the feeling of the world and the stories behind it.
it works really well with the way the game and the whole series is designed.

Shengar

The strory/background lore of Dark Souls 1 is really great imho and it would have lessened the impact had it all been laid out for me ahead of time instead of slowly pieced together. Demon's and Dark 2 don't have the same depth, again imho.

This is just not true. Demon's Souls have smaller scale of the world and event, so to speak but it doesn't make it have lesser depth compared to Dark Souls. Read the Lore Guide over in Gamefaqs and you know it's comparable enough to Dark Souls. What Dark Souls benefit from is the Artorias of the Abyss DLC which restore many content, while Demon's Souls Sixth Archstone just left as it is without no mention in the rest of the game at all.

Dynomutt

It's a video game. I personally couldn't care less about spoilers. The stories in these games have always been nonsensical anyway. The real joy for me comes from playing. Knowing where to get particular weapons before I play has helped me enjoy DS1 and the first Demon's Souls much more.

First time playing a DS type game any tips then?

Dynomutt

Some of us don't consider starting class stat distributions to be spoilers. I was curious about that, so I'm here. I'd also be interested to know more about how deep the combo system really is. Other than that, I'm happy to go in not not knowing anything else.

....and what is a class stat distribution? Please enlighten a DS newb.

Why would anyone want a spoiler? That's like knowing about a surprise party.

I don't really consider most of the stuff being posted in here spoilers, and I think "spoiler culture" has gotten out of fucking control over things like this. Yeah, if people were posting entire walkthroughs of the game right now, THAT'S a serious spoiler. But a list of the weapons, some of the base-game mechanics and details that the devs didn't tell us about yet? It's fine if you want to not know about them, but I also think you're highly insecure for considering those elements "spoilers".

And moreover, I fucking hate posts like these. So what if someone wants to get spoiled? That's their prerogative, and you don't have to be in the thread. Stop whining.

quick question are those strategy guides any good by future press?

They're great. With fewer weapons / no magic in Bloodborne, they'll probably be even more useful than the Souls guides, as there's a much smaller chance that gear will need to be nerfed or buffed in the future.

The best. They are always of the highest quality and are good just for the collection. The one for Dark Souls II is especially nice.

They're great. With fewer weapons / no magic in Bloodborne, they'll probably be even more useful than the Souls guides, as there's a much smaller chance that gear will need to be nerfed or buffed in the future.

thansk guys, just ordered the bloodborne guide by future press.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
From launch trailer thread, thanks to 0racle:
Ok.

I like it.

But I'm so confused its not even funny. Needless to say I need some advice and hopefully I can get some before continuing. I will save those questions until the end because right now your all you want are impressions.

Here goes;

Coming from a first time "souls" player take these very vague and baseless opinions as just that.

- its HARD. Every single enemy is a challenge and I have yet to encounter an easy enemy
- controls seems responsive but it seems there are slight delays here and there, as if a animation needs to finish or something before I can initiate another input ( such as fighting/healing )
- graphics are great, obviously not the order great but much improved from the previous gameplay clips I have seen in the past. Aliassing is slightly noticable but on a whole new level of improvement from older gameplay clips we have seen.
- character customization is rediculously complex. Every single aspect can be adjusted with your character without any real constraints. To me it was far to overwhelming due to my OCD with making decisions like this. I hope I can go back and make adjustments later.....
- load times between death are satisfactory, not too long but not fast either.
- sound design is awesome. Really good environmental sound effects as well as positioning.
- perfect atmosphere. I purchased the game for the theme and it does not disappoint.

I have only played an hour or two so my impressions will drastically change and become more in depth as time goes on. Right now I'm too confused to comment on a majority of issues and need more time with the game to base an opinion. If as an outsider the series I'm pressed and enjoying it, you can imagine what that says for the diehard fans.

Bloodbornetrade_20150314125713.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314130716_1.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314123710.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314122312.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314124301.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314124138.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314123830.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314130716.jpg

OlgerO

Neo Member
If I would choose waste of skin as my class and leveled it up to 10, would I have more skill points then if I chose one of the other classes ?

0racle

Alright, I found my home for a bit.

How do I save in this game?

Right now I'm at the start and everytime I die I'm back in the beginning.

I lit one lantern time thing at the start but can't find anymore. does an item cause one to spawn? are there other checkpoints?

Derpyduck

Banned

I lit one lantern time thing at the start but can't find anymore. does an item cause one to spawn? are there other checkpoints?

It auto-saves. Dying returns you to the start, yes. And all the enemies except bosses will respawn.

Dio

Banned

Every souls game autosaves at all times. You don't 'save' because it does it for you, so you can't 'roll back' to a previous save.

The game autosaves constantly.

aly

Yay impressions! Also here are some from the other person with the early copy:

So I played it 8 hrs straight before putting the controller down ran to my big couch and crashed on it.

My mother who was awake at that time thankfully didn't do anything to my game and just turned it off.

So someone who looked at my posts sent me a friend request and wanted to do some shareplaying so they can see what the game is like. They wanted to start a wiki type guide to help players and give info out. Unfortunately shareplay keeps saying that its restricted and that its region locked. I think that it will be restricted till the day one patch.

So instead I gave the person in game screenshots which had some stats on equipments, materials, and other things like boss info and other unique stats introduced in bloodborne.

The Website is here: Bloodborne Wiki | Bloodborne Wiki

Please be advised as it does contain spoilers.

So what did i do in those 8 glorious, bloody, and really heart pounding hrs. I had absolute fun with the game, even when the game was kicking my teeth down my throat. Guys if you think that this game is going to be easy then you are gonna be in for a surprise. The fact is that its hard in its own way. Enemies are faster, come in bigger mobs, are placed so cleverly that most of the time you will be ambushed and outnumbered, and will be in a situation where its hard to run to a safe location to heal. Although healing is fast and you can find plenty of blood vials, I feel that it's just a short reprieve before the tension climbs back up to the max.

The threaded cane is a wonderful weapon for pve with its great corwd control capacities, unfortunately it was weak against both the first two bosses i encountered. I had to upgrade to +3 to do some sick damage with it.

yes guys, in the 8 hrs i played, I played i only managed to beat 2 bosses, both of whom you guys probably already saw. It's the Cleric beast and Priest Gascoigne. For me Priest Gascoigne is a harder fight even though i was able to beat him my second try. Cleric beast on the other hand is another story. Listen to me, do not rely on the hunter pistol to stun him. i've wasted countless bullets before realizing lockon was you true enemy. The problem with the fight is the camera with the lockon, it is hard because you'd think a large creature like this would be a little slower, but heck no this thing is deceptively fast. I died a total of 17 times before i beat him. The time i did beat him was when i took lock on off, and used my trick weapon to hit his left arm, the bigger one. WIth enough damage he can be stunned to get a visceral attack on his face. I finished him by rolling through his attacks and punishing his arm. Rolling to me is much better than dashing as it covers a larger distance.

Preist Gascoigne, I recorded a video of my first fight to really understand what his moves and parry window were, and during my second time I was able to counter him with the hunter pistol both in is human and beast form. Spoilers here, the guys has a shotgun which was annoying to dodge, because he pulls it out so fast. Around 70% health he will transform his axe into a two handed one which scared me the first time. And around 50-40 percent he will go beast mode. This thing is frenetic and really fast. Fastest creature i fought yet. He has this move where he does repeated lunges at you even when you are down. It's insane man. 90 percent of the time I had just a sliver of health. This was an intense fight but I managed to get a counter when he lunged in mid air, and finished him.

Also in the 8 hrs I played I managed to fin 5 trick weapons, and 3 guns. one of the weapon is something people haven't see yet. its called a saw spear. Can see it in that website I linked to. I don't know what's taking EDGE magazine to only find 6 weapons and 6 pistols in 40 hrs, but I think they are just not searching enough.

The world is masterfully designed. There's not going to be many headlamps (bonfires) guys, but you will find unique paths shortcut to get back to that lamp. So far I've been to 7 different unique headlamps. Currently stuck in a cathedral like district with a cemetary with big giant dudes. I can't for the life of me figure out their parry timing. wasted so many bullets.

Another area I wanted to talk about was a heavily beast infested area where there is a hunter with a mounted gatling gun. he shoots through the entire level damaging you and the beasts around. When you finally get to him you realize that he is overpowered as ****, and he pulls out a canon and a harpoon hookblade type weapon. I got him to 50% health and he started being a spammy b****. He killed me with that cannon of his. I'll go back later. Not wasting my bullets.

That's another thing guys, many hunters you will find in the game that just want to kill you. Found 4 so far. The one that I managed to kill had a hammer trick weapon infused with bolt (lightning) damage and a shield. i lol'ed at that. I did find the wooden shield, which is useless. When you beat this hunter he drops an item similar to gold pine resin. I also found the flamethrower gadget which uses you QS bullets when you use it. Really useful for mobs as many beast are weak against fire.

Also the lore of the world is explained through npcs you meet both outside and the people behind lit windows and doors, and paper parchments dispersed along the world.

My verdict so far: If this game continues with this pace, I feel like I could easily spend another 100 hours trying to figure out everything. The combat is great, fast, and strategic. I use my threaded cane to do some quick slashes and then switch to my kirkhammer to deliver finishing blows. It seems effective, but I've been experimenting with different setups. Guys go buy this game. TO me who has had a ps4 since launch, this game is the first true next gen game to hit the ps4. I like it a lot because it innovates a lot on the already Soul-esque gameplay and mechanics. TO me this is a sure fire GOTY contender. GET THE GAME. LET IT KICK YOUR ASS, but in return you will grow to be more knowledgeable. Once you understand the game and how it works, you just feel so rewarded.

I will post pics later. Too tired

Cheers

Site : http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/bloodborne/261529-got-my-early-copy-6.html

Soriku

See if there's a quit option in the menu if you want to stop playing. The game autosaves.

Also you shouldn't have to spawn the lanterns. You just need to progress far enough to find one.

jmaine_ph

So I played it 8 hrs straight before putting the controller down ran to my big couch and crashed on it.

My mother who was awake at that time thankfully didn't do anything to my game and just turned it off.

So someone who looked at my posts sent me a friend request and wanted to do some shareplaying so they can see what the game is like. They wanted to start a wiki type guide to help players and give info out. Unfortunately shareplay keeps saying that its restricted and that its region locked. I think that it will be restricted till the day one patch.

So instead I gave the person in game screenshots which had some stats on equipments, materials, and other things like boss info and other unique stats introduced in bloodborne.

So what did i do in those 8 glorious, bloody, and really heart pounding hrs. I had absolute fun with the game, even when the game was kicking my teeth down my throat. Guys if you think that this game is going to be easy then you are gonna be in for a surprise. The fact is that its hard in its own way. Enemies are faster, come in bigger mobs, are placed so cleverly that most of the time you will be ambushed and outnumbered, and will be in a situation where its hard to run to a safe location to heal. Although healing is fast and you can find plenty of blood vials, I feel that it's just a short reprieve before the tension climbs back up to the max.

The threaded cane is a wonderful weapon for pve with its great corwd control capacities, unfortunately it was weak against both the first two bosses i encountered. I had to upgrade to +3 to do some sick damage with it.

yes guys, in the 8 hrs i played, I played i only managed to beat 2 bosses, both of whom you guys probably already saw. It's the Cleric beast and Priest Gascoigne. For me Priest Gascoigne is a harder fight even though i was able to beat him my second try. Cleric beast on the other hand is another story. Listen to me, do not rely on the hunter pistol to stun him. i've wasted countless bullets before realizing lockon was you true enemy. The problem with the fight is the camera with the lockon, it is hard because you'd think a large creature like this would be a little slower, but heck no this thing is deceptively fast. I died a total of 17 times before i beat him. The time i did beat him was when i took lock on off, and used my trick weapon to hit his left arm, the bigger one. WIth enough damage he can be stunned to get a visceral attack on his face. I finished him by rolling through his attacks and punishing his arm. Rolling to me is much better than dashing as it covers a larger distance.

Preist Gascoigne, I recorded a video of my first fight to really understand what his moves and parry window were, and during my second time I was able to counter him with the hunter pistol both in is human and beast form. Spoilers here, the guys has a shotgun which was annoying to dodge, because he pulls it out so fast. Around 70% health he will transform his axe into a two handed one which scared me the first time. And around 50-40 percent he will go beast mode. This thing is frenetic and really fast. Fastest creature i fought yet. He has this move where he does repeated lunges at you even when you are down. It's insane man. 90 percent of the time I had just a sliver of health. This was an intense fight but I managed to get a counter when he lunged in mid air, and finished him.

Also in the 8 hrs I played I managed to fin 5 trick weapons, and 3 guns. one of the weapon is something people haven't see yet. its called a saw spear. Can see it in that website I linked to. I don't know what's taking EDGE magazine to only find 6 weapons and 6 pistols in 40 hrs, but I think they are just not searching enough.

The world is masterfully designed. There's not going to be many headlamps (bonfires) guys, but you will find unique paths shortcut to get back to that lamp. So far I've been to 7 different unique headlamps. Currently stuck in a cathedral like district with a cemetary with big giant dudes. I can't for the life of me figure out their parry timing. wasted so many bullets.

Another area I wanted to talk about was a heavily beast infested area where there is a hunter with a mounted gatling gun. he shoots through the entire level damaging you and the beasts around. When you finally get to him you realize that he is overpowered as ****, and he pulls out a canon and a harpoon hookblade type weapon. I got him to 50% health and he started being a spammy b****. He killed me with that cannon of his. I'll go back later. Not wasting my bullets.

That's another thing guys, many hunters you will find in the game that just want to kill you. Found 4 so far. The one that I managed to kill had a hammer trick weapon infused with bolt (lightning) damage and a shield. i lol'ed at that. I did find the wooden shield, which is useless. When you beat this hunter he drops an item similar to gold pine resin. I also found the flamethrower gadget which uses you QS bullets when you use it. Really useful for mobs as many beast are weak against fire.

Also the lore of the world is explained through npcs you meet both outside and the people behind lit windows and doors, and paper parchments dispersed along the world.

My verdict so far: If this game continues with this pace, I feel like I could easily spend another 100 hours trying to figure out everything. The combat is great, fast, and strategic. I use my threaded cane to do some quick slashes and then switch to my kirkhammer to deliver finishing blows. It seems effective, but I've been experimenting with different setups. Guys go buy this game. TO me who has had a ps4 since launch, this game is the first true next gen game to hit the ps4. I like it a lot because it innovates a lot on the already Soul-esque gameplay and mechanics. TO me this is a sure fire GOTY contender. GET THE GAME. LET IT KICK YOUR ASS, but in return you will grow to be more knowledgeable. Once you understand the game and how it works, you just feel so rewarded.

Cheers
Thanks for the impressions. Wow this sounds so awesome. I love that it's hard. I get off beating hard games.

Cheers

Is it okay to read this? Is it just impressions or is there major spoilery stuff in it?

People already answered the saving. The thing with Laterns. In this game your not going to find them extremely often. What you will find though are shortcuts through the areas leading back to one you may have found earlier. So the name of the game is Explore, explore, explore.

0racle

Yes first souls game

I know it autosaves in the sense that I retain some of my collectables but what about level progress?

I can't seem to find any checkpoints that start me off further in the game.

Yes first souls game

I know it autosaves in the sense that I retain some of my collectables but what about level progress?

The laterns are basically your spawn point. So if you die you go back to the last one you were at, every time, until you find a new one further in. Itll feel like it takes forever to make progress but when you do find another one itll feel great.

Yes first souls game

Oh don't worry about the items you collect and stuff it should autosave when you quit.

Try this. Quit the game and reload. You should be at where you left it.

Top Bottom