• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne | Taste The Wine That Solidifies Miyazaki as a Genius

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

When I saw the thread title and that pic at the top I was kind of hoping this would be a new Bloodborne branded wine, like Ommegang's Game of Thrones beers. Consider me somewhat disappointed lol.

Steel

Banned
I love Bloodbourne too, so cheers.

But I wouldn't say that it has less weaknesses than any other souls game. The lesser variety of builds, the split of skill weapons being mostly in near-end game and str weapons being mostly at the beginning of the game alone is a glaring flaw. I wouldn't say any of the weapons are hard to master at all, same basics of choosing the swing set you like best or getting used to the swings, except now you have transform as the second moveset rather than 2-handing.

Also, on the playstyle for bosses is concerned, the strategy that works on a majority of bosses is simply staying on their ass(only big boss exceptions to this are Rom and Amygdalla). For the ones that are both humanoid and fast(
Logarius, Gacoigne, and Gherman
), using the stagger stun method seems to be the method the game wants you to use but you don't have to at all(never used my gun for anything but pulls), in fact I get the impression that it makes those boss fights funner, but I digress.

I could go on about vials, loading screens(which are better now), the step back in co-op, the boring NPCs, etc. but I don't feel like ranting, so I'll just end here. To be clear, I like Bloodbourne, I just don't think it's healthy to completely ignore a games flaws even if you like it, gives the impression that the series has no room to grow, when it has a lot more room to grow.

Lingitiz

It's a pretty good game with some good ideas, but it isn't even as good as its predecessors. Some of the weapons are just trash and there aren't that many to begin with, enemy variety is basically town folk+werethingguy, and gun parries aren't really that skillful at all, it's ridiculously easy. The replayability just isn't there and after going back from DS2 the framerate gave me a headache it was so bad.

I love the game for what it is but Jesus, it's not some perfect masterpiece we should be groveling over, especially with the nearly broken online and poorly thought out covenant system.

I share this sentiment. Miyazaki is a brilliant director but it's not the "second coming". There are definitely some strange design choices that are some serious steps back here.

Also, the back half of the game has strangely easy bosses and is filled with some annoying obstacles that are more of a nuisance than actually presenting challenge. I one shotted almost every boss from Yarghul to the end.

ZangBa

So very, very wrong.

Alright, where in the game aren't there some form of humanoid town folk or werebeast of some sort that isn't Cainhurst? Nightmare of Mensis has them but at least it has some new enemies that are also humanoid, and reuses a boss as a normal enemy. Hypogean Gaol before it changes is mostly sackmen and pigs, so then there's that. Everywhere else, town folk and werethings.

Best game in the "series," for sure. I had ridiculously high expectations considering Demon's and Dark Souls are two of my all-time favorites, and Bloodborne somehow managed to surpass them. Sure, there are specific things I might enjoy more in the other titles but overall, Bloodborne just delivers the more consistent package. I can't see myself putting this game down for a long while, and I still have to dive into the lore.

Skii

It is a sensational game. It is developed by someone who understands gaming, someone who loves gaming. Always trust Miyazaki to push the Souls series one step further.

Gold_Loot

Great thread Bruce! Just like you, the one thing the game always reminded me of was a twisted version of Castlevania. Love this damn game.

I WANT that in a wine.

KlotePino

I completely agree, I'm nearing the end now and I'm dreading finishing this game because I know I'll miss the hell out of it. For me the NG+ or PvP element doesn't matter too much so people complaining about lack of weapon variety etc might have a valid point that I simply don't care about. I feel like the game's art direction is so incredibly successful and cohesive, you can just see that the game translated so well from whatever concept art they conjured up. I just walked up to LATE GAME SPOILER
The crib before Mergo's Wet Nurse
and it looked so amazingly stunning that I turned back and I'm saving it to show the girlfriend later.

I just love the combat, I can't believe how they totally abandoned what made the Souls combat what it is (turtling and using shields) and made it fast-paced and exhilarating while still somehow maintaining tightness, control and fun. When I look at the Witcher 3 I just can't see it comparing at all, even though I loved the second one. The deep lore in the game is astounding and incredibly well thought out. It took me a long time to accept that Demon's Souls wasn't just a lucky coming together of elements but actually an incredible achievement that Bloodborne perfects and cements itself as a classic for me. I really hope nobody passes up on this game.

Duffman

I've beaten the game four times as of now (currently tackling Chalice Dungeons) and it is definitely one of my all time favorites and the best game I've played since MGS3/RE4. I just love (nearly) everything about it.

That said, the game isn't perfect. I, too, was a bit disappointed by the lack of covenants and environment variety for example. Maybe the future DLC will tackle this issue?

ZangBa

Agreed. It's a fun but extremely flawed game. I feel like I can't say anything negative about it without ten posters jumping down my throat.

It's just how it is when you don't hold the majority's opinion, which is alright, everyone is entitled to one, but objectively, this game is simply not perfect.

How is online broken? I agree with the covenant system being half baked, but online is working better than ever since the patch. Better than Dark/Demon's Souls even. I constantly get summoned by people for bosses and have 0 problems coordinating summons with friends. It works nearly instantly.

To be fair, the online has improved so I was being slightly unfair. But there is no reason I should waited up to 10 minutes to connect to someone in the same Chalice Dungeon when we were the only 2 there searching. Despite its improvements, I disagree that it's any better than the previous games.

I've probably spent the most hours of anyone after only defeating 2 bosses, but this game is the best (non racing) game ever. Going through a level an umpteenth time is still a joy.

Bloodrage

Banned
GOTY 2015. Nothing else will even come close for me. Not only is it the best Souls, it's the best Castlevania since Symphony of the Night. It's also the best Berserk game we'll probably ever get.

To be fair, the online has improved so I was being slightly unfair. But there is no reason I should waited up to 10 minutes to connect to someone in the same Chalice Dungeon when we were the only 2 there searching. Despite its improvements, I disagree that it's any better than the previous games.
But you don't having to wait 10 minutes anymore. It's fixd.

iB4hDpLfrjHpi.png

You SOB I thought this was real for a second haha. I would drink that in a heart beat. Guess I'll settle for the digital drink for now, great thread Bruce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom