• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodline |OT| Netflix - S1 up now - Chandler, Mendelsohn, Cardellini *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danny got what he deserved. Sucks for his son though. Meg is a bitch. Kevin is the heart of the show. Mama Rayburn is the OG bitch. Terrible person who deserves this pain. John is the dumbest detective of all time. Marco needs to go apeshit in S2. Wouldn't mind a Meg accidental death scenario.

Kaladin

Loved the whole season.
While I am bummed that Danny is gone, I am compelled enough by the story of the siblings conspiracy falling apart and the legnths they go to to hold it together to keep watching. I was intrigued enough by the other siblings characters that Danny's loss doesn't kill the show for me. They have to fill a void sure, but I think that will be filled by the PI and the DEA and maybe even Wade going after John and the others. Looking forward to it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
he's chandler being chandler. american boy scout. show is worth watching cause of Ben Mendelsohn, believe me.

Absolutely not. His character (and performance, tbh) is fairly weak. Watch for Ben Mendelsohn though. He's the standout.

I agree that Ben Mendelsohn is the star of the show, but Chandler is very good in this role as well, especially towards the end
when his character isn't just a one dimensional dad character and shit starts getting real.

I couldn't stop looking at Linda cardilinis mouth wrinkles

Who cares, she's beautiful!

I hate how weak Sissy Spacek's character is. Completely wasted, in my opinion.

I have a feeling she'll come into her own next season...

Good point. I hope so!

Clevinger

Watched the whole season. I thought the first half to two-thirds was brilliant. But after
Danny heard the police tapes and it became more of a revenge story
I gradually lost interest. And the last minute was... eh. I don't know if I'll be back next season. Probably not.

Ben Mendelsohn was awesome.

I have to wonder what was exactly written
in that letter. It supposedly makes it clear that he hates his family
. Also, would things have turned out better if John hadn't changed his mind on letting Danny stay?
Maybe Danny always wanted to destroy the family and no matter what they did, he'd always hate them.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That was an okay but frustrating season.
It look way too long for way too many people to figure out that Danny was being a manipulative little troll. And then once they do, he turns full-on Batman villain or emotional serial killer, just trying to make his prey feel a specific twisted way. At least the last few episodes had some real momentum to them.

Screw Mama Ray for still giving a shit about Danny. You gotta be kidding me. This is the kind of extreme nonsense I really can't relate to, where family is unconditional. Danny was given a billion chances. He just murdered someone and was using your life's work, your inn, as a tool to smuggle drugs. Give it up.

Surprise son! No one cares.

carlsojo

can someone explain the megan hate? i mean besides the whole
cheating
thing she was ok.

She just lies constantly and doesn't give a shit about anyone except herself. She
strung along both Alec and Marco throughout the whole season. When Danny talked to Chelsea she described Megan as always "trading up" guys all the time. She really abused her position of being her dad's lawyer and changed the will back and forth as she saw fit, then lied to everyone about it.
She just really struck me as being completely fake.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Its a little over the top yeah. Like seriously it sucks but people fuck up. It doesn't make them demons or something.

I mean, there's a difference between making a mistake and cheating over and over and over again over a prolonged period of time.

tim.mbp

That was an okay but frustrating season.
It look way too long for way too many people to figure out that Danny was being a manipulative little troll. And then once they do, he turns full-on Batman villain or emotional serial killer, just trying to make his prey feel a specific twisted way. At least the last few episodes had some real momentum to them.

Screw Mama Ray for still giving a shit about Danny. You gotta be kidding me. This is the kind of extreme nonsense I really can't relate to, where family is unconditional. Danny was given a billion chances. He just murdered someone and was using your life's work, your inn, as a tool to smuggle drugs. Give it up.

Surprise son! No one cares.

Mama Rays love was kind of out of guilt though.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I was listening to the /Filmcast episode from last week and one if the guys was just glowing over this show. Kept saying it's a slow burn, but one it hit episode 8 it took off.

I'm now up to episode five and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the season.

I really enjoyed the first season but I doubt I'll tune in for the second.
Danny was by far the most compelling element of the show.

I`ll sort of echo a lot of the comments here, good show but it probably doesn`t need to be continued. Especially once they remove the most compelling character

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
what a surprise this show is. mendelson and chandler deserve awards for this. the whole thing is so slow-burn and wonderful.

Finished this earlier. Gorgeously shot and fantastically acted. Very pleased it got renewed. I'll be very surprised if Ben Mendelsohn doesn't get a nomination come award season.

This show, what a fucking surprise. Ep. 11 currently and even my wife, who is not really a fan of mystery/thriller, is hooked. Amazing all around.

Just got done myself. Not sure I'd be excited for a Season 2.
Danny/Ben Mendelsohn is the best part, and now he's gone. I wonder if he'll come back in season 2 as some sort of conscience or haunting hallucination that the remaining siblings have after the trauma. I hope Ben Mendelsohn is in the new Star Wars spinoff/side movie like has been rumored.

120v

was there ever any kind of hint that
Danny had a kid
? seems like they completely pulled that out of their ass to give the show more mileage

other than that, loved this season. glad i checked it out, the trailer kind of gave me a "meh" vibe at first

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Danny had a kid
? seems like they completely pulled that out of their ass to give the show more mileage

The only real hint that I can think of is someone joking about Danny having kids a couple episodes before the finale.

whew this series - finished it last night.

pretty big lull mid season.

i'm not sure i like how it ended. don't see as much potential left in the show without major plot twists...also felt pretty obvious, from day 1
when you find out hes sending money back to miami.

I can foresee the new law guy ( megs new "bf") will prob end up being bad. or slowly but surely the family gets focused on for the murder. I dunno how many secrets can one family have... I was kinda hoping the second season would be a whole new family.

also the mom's nose. its all i could stare at when she was on screen. like a pointy skull nose.

jond76

Banned
Danny had a kid

other than that, loved this season. glad i checked it out, the trailer kind of gave me a "meh" vibe at first

When they made the trip to Miami to hide some stuff, they showed the shoulder of someone watching who was wearing a "Rayburn" shirt.

hamchan

Came back to this after Daredevil and finished it. It did feel like it was plodding a lot in the middle episodes but by the final quarter of the season it started to feel pretty intense. I have no idea how the show will continue in season 2 but I'm happy enough that it just is.

Anyways, judging by the post count it feels that not many people on GAF watched it, which is a shame. The Daredevil thread has like 25x the posts than this thread. That's maybe to be expected but I think both shows deserve the attention since both are good. Netflix is doing well with these original series they're putting out, pretty damn happy with my sub to them.

Steeven

I'm into episode 10 I believe. While I loved the premise in the first three or four episodes,
I really don't like the shift with Danny. It was already clear he was a fuck up but it appeared he wanted to redeem himself somehow and was not into any bad shit at all. At that point, it seemed that his brothers and sister would turn out to be the real bad guys. I liked that premise. Even their spoiler by showing his death could have been presented at a real unfortunate fate for Danny, trying to legitimately doing his best while being stabbed in the back by his family. Unfortunately, at some point this was let go and Danny became a cliche fuck up. I couldn't care less for a season 2.

andycapps

I agree that Ben Mendelsohn is the star of the show, but Chandler is very good in this role as well, especially towards the end
when his character isn't just a one dimensional dad character and shit starts getting real.

Who cares, she's beautiful!

I hate how weak Sissy Spacek's character is. Completely wasted, in my opinion.

Good point. I hope so!

Yeah, Chandler really starts to show his chops later in the season when Danny messes with his daughter (past the 10 days so no spoilers here). I believe part of him playing it like a boy scout is his thing, but also because I don't think that he knew where the story was going. I watched an interview with him about the show and he purposefully didn't read ahead and didn't want to know until they got there.

Mama Rays love was kind of out of guilt though.

Exactly. Really, I feel like they were all guilty about what happened and felt sorry for him. Mama Ray feels responsible for her daughter dying and for Danny turning into what he did.

what a surprise this show is. mendelson and chandler deserve awards for this. the whole thing is so slow-burn and wonderful.

I agree, I think it's a great show. Mendelson was great, but Chandler was definitely great in this.

Vyrance

I loved this show. Definitely is a slow-burn but it's well worth it. Not sure how they'll go about with season 2 but I'm looking forward to it.

Gr8one

Just finished episode 1 and OMG that ending wasn't what I was expecting. I'm gonna avoid this thread due to the odds i'll spoil something, but I had to chime in that this is looking like another fantastic netflix original series. Kyle Chandler is such a amazing actor, looking forward to binge watching this over the next few days.

Not a super necro, I hope. I'm on the last 3 eps and this show is just incredible. The dude who plays Danny is just incredible. What a weird fucking character. The things he does/says, you just wonder what the hell compels him to do those things.

Maybe I'll find out :O

Blader

Finally finished the show the other night. Overall great stuff. Some of the narration in the first couple episodes was really overwrought and I was worried that the plotting itself would play out the same way, but the writers did a really fantastic job of building this story and fleshing out the characters in pretty believable ways.

Danny and Kevin, in particular, are incredibly compelling characters -- part of that is owed to their brilliant performances (imo they're the best actors of the show), but the writers did an excellent job at building out their backgrounds and motivations. More so than anyone else, Danny and Kevin change a lot as the series goes on (or at least, my perception of them did) but it always felt earned to me.
You sympathize with Danny's trauma and understand *why* he wants to hurt his family, even if you don't condone it. You feel bad for Kevin and better understand later on where's he coming from in his animosity toward Danny, especially as the beaten-on little brother, even though your first impression of him is as an angry, over-the-top asshole.
They're more nuanced and empathetic people than often times their actions reflect on them, and the writers do a great job of building out that growth organically.

The show is slow as hell for the first 8 episodes, but it's just interesting to watch these people and this setting even when nothing is really happening. And then around ep. 9 everything clicks together and takes off.

My only issues:
--
Sam Shephard
is basically wasted, which is a shame
--My first instinct is that I didn't really like the ending reveal, but we'll see
--Kyle Chandler is getting fat

But all in all, great show and probably my favorite Netflix offering behind House of Cards and Daredevil. A little wary about how they'll proceed with S2 given how this one ends but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I have a few episodes to go, but I have to say this may be my favorite Netflix original series. I enjoyed daredevil more, but bloodline has been consistently interesting with some excellent performances. It really sucks you in, and the revelations throughout the series constantly have you re-evaluating each character.
I just reached the point where late episode spoiler
you find out that Danny has been mailing the money to himself (maybe?)
and his motivations suddenly took a u-turn in my eyes.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Finally finished it and enjoyed Ben Mendelsohn in every scene he was in. I hope he shows up in more movies/tv shows that I watch.

The second half of the show was tense and even, at times, uncomfortable to watch. Looking forward to season 2.

The only major complaint I have with the first season is the constant advertising of Heineken beer and other alcohol. So annoying, that thes can't drink normal water or a coke.

ty_hot

Loved the season. It starts slow but still doesn't let you give up on it as the
flashback/flashforward make you always curious about what is next, specially because most of the time they have no apparent conexion with what is currently happening

Regarding the next season:

There is absolutely zero chances that Danny will be out of it. Of course he is not going to become a zombi and start walking again, but there is SO MUCH of his life that we don't know. Come on, he has a fucking child, for sure we need Danny side of the history to explain where this boy grew up and what he thinks of his family (eg. what did danny told the boy about the family the whole life?). Also, the family had always given the back on Danny, Sarah death/Danny getting beat is for sure the most important fact but probably many other things could have happened. More than one time we are told that Danny didn't have the same oportunities as his brothers, maybe he was kicked out of the house? Who knows. Also, he takes his pills for the pain in the arm/shoulder, and he is addicted to them since when he is a boy because of the beating, which also led him to spend some time with the police for ilegal possession of controlled drugs. That is surely something that has implications in his life.

BTW, when Danny says his mom is the worst of all I was truly shocked, he always seemed to have some respect for her. And I can see her taking the pain of his death and going after her children that have always been lying to her (even though she was the one that made them start lying).

poppabk

So who do we think was spying on them in the final episode when they went to
plant the drugs?

Jigorath

Banned
As a general rule of thumb,
you probably shouldn't kill off a show's best character in the first season. I don't find Kevin or Megan very interesting. Diane is a complete non-entity. Chelseas was fun but I don't see what purpose she has on the show with Danny gone. John was ok. I liked the first season overall but it's going to be interesting to see how the show deals with a second season without Danny.

poppabk

As a general rule of thumb,
you probably shouldn't kill off a show's best character in the first season. I don't find Kevin or Megan very interesting. Diane is a complete non-entity. Chelseas was fun but I don't see what purpose she has on the show with Danny gone. John was ok. I liked the first season overall but it's going to be interesting to see how the show deals with a second season without Danny.
My guess is that we will have lots of flashbacks. There is a whole story that has barely been touched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom