• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloom County returns!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Not dead!! It just no longer belongs in the newspapers.

Eh. I have some strong feelings about this. Basically, the webcomic industry still hasn't entirely replaced the fact that, for almost a century, being a newspaper cartoonist was a career that you could raise a family on with even moderate success. The number of truly self sustaining webcomics is still low enough that I'm not entirely happy with the direction things have taken.

Also all of these are fucking great so far

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Oh man. Right in the childhood.

I loved this way more than Calvin and Hobbes and people thought I was crazy for it.

Opus always worked best in Bloom County... So much love. The world is a better place with more.

And now for my favorite without a main character.

cg4ff6121fdcc08.jpg

Breathed posted that this is the "Thankful" song Opus is supposed to be jamming to in that strip:

http://youtu.be/FsNNYuhfLK0

Eh. I have some strong feelings about this. Basically, the webcomic industry still hasn't entirely replaced the fact that, for almost a century, being a newspaper cartoonist was a career that you could raise a family on with even moderate success. The number of truly self sustaining webcomics is still low enough that I'm not entirely happy with the direction things have taken.

Was talking about internet in the sense of being a solid backup option for the art form itself when the papers aren't, not so much monetary wise.

Some of the best early strips were when Milo would use his news job at the Bloom Beacon to troll Senator Bedfellow and other townsfolk:

BloomCountyLooseTailsHoffapg25top.jpg

BloomCountyLooseTailsHoffapg51bottom.jpg

cg4fa2ac535034b.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think Steve Dallas was supposed to be Berkeley Breathed personified so that's probably why there was more of him early on.

The Closet of Anxiety is %#€£in genius

And there's a lot more scary stuff that can go in there these days. :/

I think Steve Dallas was supposed to be Berkeley Breathed personified so that's probably why there was more of him early on.

No, Breathed said he's based on an amalgamation of the general awful personalities of a lot of frat boys he observed back then. In one of the collections he says something like 'I knew a lot of guys in college who talked like Steve Dallas.'

Edit: Also, *supposedly* one of his college friends who was in law school at the time also helped inspire Steve.

kess

And apparently, sustain newspaper cartoonists for years afterwards... if sales of Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes books were anything to go off of. The product (however, by and large, mediocre) doesn't seem to be the issue, but you can't exactly cover the internet with it every Sunday. But the nearly standardized three-box gag strip that currently inhabits most newspapers is a dead end. At its current size it can barely sustain a joke, let alone a continuing narrative, and popular webcomics don't even attempt to faithfully observe it.

Anybody notice that he's numbering these strips... and (gasp) signing his name right side up? I hope this run lasts for as long as he's feeling it, which he obviously is.

xbhaskarx

Berkeley Breathed

OPEN LETTER TO FUTURE PRESIDENT TRUMP: We and America call upon you to produce lab evidence proving NO shared DNA between your head fur and your family Lhasa Apso, Goldy Tinkles. If such documentation is thus provided, the Really Loaded Friends of Bloom County will deliver a check for $2 million dollars to your known favorite charity. We wouldn't joke about this.

3,050 people like this.
1,001 shares
8 mins

Poor, deluded Golden Tinkles.

11794251_1010181055679314_6896909918760875316_o.jpg

Wow this was unexpected. So was Outland and Opus retconned out as a dream?

Whatever way, I'll take it.

Agreed. Retconning isn't as bad in comic strips which are usually much more open ended plot wise and makes sense as it was the only straightforward way he could return to Bloom County proper and reboot without any baggage, especially since Opus had kind of a depressing, weird ending *spoiler alert* where Opus basically got "spirited away" to 'safely sleep eternally' inside the pages of the children's book Goodnight Moon. I'm glad Breathed changed his mind about Opus and BC never returning, he obviously missed the strip and the characters more than he was previously willing to let on and you can tell he's enjoying himself by the solid writing in these early strips.

Several years ago AICN did an interview with IDW editor Scott Dunbier about the painstaking process of restoring and tracking down all the strips (the Washington Post didn't keep a complete microfilm archive and some "lost" strips literally had to be donated from a fan collection in at least one case). He says they initially had to convince Breathed the new collections were worth doing because he was convinced nobody cared about BC anymore, saying "Look, the series has come and gone. Nobody cares any more. But here's my phone number." Again, really glad he changed his mind and now he can see on FB how fans DO still care. :) VERY interesting read if you want a history on the strip, various censorship bits it went through and all the work IDW put into the collections:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42931

Beartruck

Honestly, if you went through the entire internet and found every creator making a living off his work, it'd probably be roughly equivalent to the amount of people in papers in the old days. I agree that the days of big money are long gone, but I'd probably blame that on the fracturing of the national attention span and the fact that cartoonists have to be their own businessmen now, which they suck at.

way more

That's the most bizarre theory I've ever heard. I think Opus's nose represented how well his love life was going.

A few assorted recent strips, Breathed is posting almost every day now, if you haven't added these to your daily feed you're really missing out:

11838859_1017034028327350_5700688245416286614_o.jpg

11864976_1019198748110878_2200692016067481051_o.jpg

11845118_1022932631070823_4726356989231735494_o.jpg

11893923_1023136204383799_792424445152605400_o.jpg

11145115_1022854607745292_7598006507479375605_o.jpg

Today's Sunday:

11894296_1024257647604988_3354760640075942564_o.jpg

kess

The strip hasn't fell off at all since the return -- this is the first time I've followed a "newspaper" strip this religiously, since, uh, Calvin and Hobbes.

Speaking of newspapers

12034262_1045527488811337_5890455436480335616_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom