• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Capcom Sees 1200% Gain Over Decade - Largest JP Publisher In Terms of Countries w/ Sales

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Japanese game publisher Capcom Co.’s shares are up by a third this year, outpacing the broader Tokyo market and capping off a remarkable 1,200% surge over the past decade. That’s in part because the $11 billion company has punched well above its weight, spawning Hollywood franchises such as Resident Evil and Monster Hunter.

The rally means Capcom, which reports earnings Wednesday, is trading at valuations well in excess of many of its biggest rivals from Konami Group Corp. to Bandai Namco Holdings Inc. It’s doing so despite lagging peers in the smartphone gaming arena, which now makes up half the industry’s sales. Of analysts covering the company, 7 rate it a hold and 10 a buy, with one sell.

The firm sells software in 230 countries and regions, by far the largest number among Japanese publishers, according to Toyo Securities analyst Hideki Yasuda. It’s set a goal of selling 100 million copies per year, from the 41.7 million mark it set in the fiscal year ended March.

eafw4qs.jpg

3SGAavE.jpg

iaeRjPo.jpg

Disco Dave

Guess what's happening next Wednesday 😆

Seriously, look at Sega on that chart. Their growth has been non existent. Their dormant IP library is incredible and yet they continue to pump out shit Sonic games with a sprinkle of Sega Mega Drive collection releases. They have a few good releases like Yakuza but they are a shadow of the 16bit and 32bit company.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Capcom's been doing well this gen, good for them. I think we're overdue for a new Mega Man though.

Hey, Octopath 2 and Dragon Quest XI are great.
They are, but with Square, it's always one step forward and two steps back. They release an incredible game, only to fumble the ball on something incredibly moronic later on such as their ill-fated attempt at NFTs or completely fucking up FF XIV at first, and then re-releasing it and getting it right this time. Let's also not forget their ridiculous sales expectations; Oh, this game didn't sell 10M copies in a day like we anticipated? It missed our sales target! That's ignoring the FF XIII debacle and many other blunders over the past few years.

Square Enix is run by morons.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Absolutely deserved, ever since RE7 released almost everything Capcom has been putting out has been pure gold. Top 3 in the industry easily at the moment.
Well that pretty well marked the end of trolling capcom (which I'd say peaked with cover art megaman, even though I liked it) and all west all the time capcom (peak was lost lost planet 3, like what was that?)

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
They auto piloted using the same safe IPs for like eight years straight. If that's to ensure success and the bag that's fine.

Now let's get some risk games going outside of ExoPrimal & Pragmata. Bring back a dormant IP or two.

yurinka

As reference, some EV/EBITDA from other Japanese game companies not listed by Bloomberg:
Koei Tecmo 18.9
Sony 12.9
Nintendo 10.3

Killer8

You make quality software and people buy it. It's an amazing new concept that i'm surprised no one has thought of till now.

Robb

Gold Member
Glad to see their work is paying off, Capcom has been absolutely killing it. Banger after banger after banger.

cireza

they are a shadow of the 16bit and 32bit company
Totally agree with this. Back their creativity was off the charts. Sadly it wasn't profitable. Now we are stuck with a company that is most definitely alive and profitable, but doesn't do anything exciting.

For me as a player, they desperately need to be able to take risks again. I want brand new games as crazy as Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Outrun 2, Shining Force, Burning Rangers, Nights, Dragon Force etc... And not stuff outsourced to super small teams.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Good for them, I guess. I think there are japanese studios which deserve this kind of success much more than developers of pewpew zombie shooters.

Dr. Suchong

Dragons Dogma 2 is coming next year too. I would hope they’re hard at work with Monster Hunter World 2, as well.
Monster Hunter World 2 has got to be my most anticipated game by quite some margin.
The first was absolutely incredible.
No rush though, still enjoying Rise/Sunbreak 😁

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Monster Hunter World 2 has got to be my most anticipated game by quite some margin.
The first was absolutely incredible.
No rush though, still enjoying Rise/Sunbreak 😁
DD2 and MHW2 are about the same level of excitement for me, which is pretty damn high. Not Starfield levels, but still super high.

Top Bottom