• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: CD Projekt Aims to Redeem Cyberpunk 2077 With Major Expansion

As David Jaffe said: "I'll take buggy and ambitious over stable and safe."

Alotttt of people like stable and safe. Like Im tripped out how I saw alot of people here go crazy on this game....but then be in the assassins creed valhalla thread excited lol or how the same people are thinking starfield is going to have a comparable narrative and questlines after bethesdas recent output.

Just weird to me

Drizzlehell

Banned
The fact they completely reworked the police system/AI and added actual car chases showed that they are trying to make the game that should have released.

Hopefully they can pull a "No Man's Sky" because this franchise/World deserved so much better than what we initially got.
Wait, what? Is this supposed to be already in the game or is it coming with the expansion? Because I played it just the other night and cops were still their regular useless selves.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The fact they completely reworked the police system/AI and added actual car chases showed that they are trying to make the game that should have released.

Hopefully they can pull a "No Man's Sky" because this franchise/World deserved so much better than what we initially got.

THIS!

Freeman76

Glad I invested some cash in Cdprojekt when shares tanked, had a feeling they would go big with this expansion and redeem their value. Gone up 18% since this announcement and should rise more after more footage is shown.

Kdad

It's about fixing what was broken in the company, though. When people are crunching for long periods of time the quality of their work goes down and you start getting a bunch of janky fixes for problems that needed more time.

Jason is just reporting what new management says they've done to fix the culture that led to a broken game.
Jason is reporting on what they asked....reports don't fall out of the sky. They are a one tune pony. Again...why are they on Twitter with the horrible way employees were treated there? Oh right...it serves their needs.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Alotttt of people like stable and safe. Like Im tripped out how I saw alot of people here go crazy on this game....but then be in the assassins creed valhalla thread excited lol or how the same people are thinking starfield is going to have a comparable narrative and questlines after bethesdas recent output.

Just weird to me
True, but the irony is Cyberpunk turned out pretty safe/conservative from a structure and design standpoint. It's not like it's STALKER with crazy ambition a-life systems that are janky but impressive: The world literally continuing when you're not around, even sequence-breaking side quest when some poor quest giver gets killed by a boar.

I liked Cyberpunk (mainly for it's presentation) but my main disappointed was how incredibly safe is was. In some cases even less impressive then some late-stage PS360 games. Barely any objectives or systems had interplay with each other. A lot of check box filler side stuff (and I 100% the damn thing). A meaningless Looter Shooter system that just annoying and gets in the way. Most of the mechanics where bog standard affair. It felt more like a euro jank Far Cry, and barely the ambitious open-world Deus Ex it promised (or any immersive sim in general for that matter).

The only real thing I could call ambitious in Cyberpunk (and personally impressed by) was their conversation system, and how 'seamless' it flowed in and out situations. (Even though it's very 'controlled' and canned of course, with not much deviation).

Last edited:

DryvBy

I played thia day one on a PS5 and I only ever encountered two bugs.

1. Dropped a gun and it clipped underground. It was may favorite gun.
2. The end game with that apple bottom NPC never loaded for the last mission in her storyline so I had to really figure out a way around it. It was annoying but someone figured it out.

Here's proof I played it a lot.

I shall wait for reviews this time. But if it’s good I look forward to starting over.

Interesting reading that the guys responsible for the horrific initial launch left afterwards due to “bullying allegations etc”.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Not falling for their bullshit EVER again. Even now, the game is still heavily bugged because most of the biggest issues are tied to how the game has been coded.
So fuck them.
"Stay angry, gamerz! Never forgive! Never forget!"

🤡

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
If the expansion improves the whole game as below:
Overhaul AI applies to base map
Internal buildings to enter without loading.
Random events like gta V

I buy it day 1.

Gambit2483

Wait, what? Is this supposed to be already in the game or is it coming with the expansion? Because I played it just the other night and cops were still their regular useless selves.
The new Dog Town district and all of the game fixes will come for free for EVERYONE when the DLC drops, however the new storybased skill tree, and new story missions will be tied to the paid DLC.

Glad I invested some cash in Cdprojekt when shares tanked, had a feeling they would go big with this expansion and redeem their value. Gone up 18% since this announcement and should rise more after more footage is shown.
It's crazy how much their stock tanked when Cyber Punk came out. At the time, the hype for them was Rockstar levels. Which is crazy because they only released one great game prior to that point. Their stock is still only worth 1/3 of 2020 highs. Hopefully they continue to rebound

JoduanER2

Keeping this kind of grudge is what you call "salty."

At the moment, Cyberpunk 2077 is up there with the best RPGs on the market. No game has no flaws. Cyberpunk 2077 has some left, but it's an experience that offers way more than most games out there.

Also, CD Projekt is *by far* one of the developers who has always proved to be customer-friendly. That doesn't mean never making mistakes, but they've owned and worked hard to fix them all. Can't say that for many devs out there.

This is soo false. In what? Best Graphics? Yes certainly. Best RPG mechanics or story? Not even close.

i believe! but, then again, i've always believed in this game...

poodaddy

No redemption needed, it's currently one of the best PC games of the last ten years, making it even better is rad though.

Cyberpunk worked fine on the One X and (assuming) PS4 Pro. Mr. Weasel is attempting to stir up clickbait to justify his pathetic career.

EDMIX

Its not but you cant deny CDPR kind of marketed like that, so I would say this was their own fault.

Truth.

I also don't like this "its not GTA" excuse.

CDPR marketed this game to be about a city with crime, cops, cars and bad guys, gangs etc, I don't think anything is wild or uncalled for to believe you'd be able to steal cars, cops chase you, gangs chase you in cars etc. That doesn't even sound like something to question in a game in 2020, that sounds so fucking moot, any game you tell us like "when you steal a car, cops chase you in cars, boats " etc would be massively moot, we'd be like "ok...and what else"? lol

its not new, its expected cause this is the world they are telling us about in the narrative.

Would be like saying "it not Elder Scrolls or Fallout, so they shouldn't have pick pockets or thieves" as if that idea was completely invented by that or something.

The developer cheated themselves out of some amazing concepts and any of the features I've seen talked about would do wonders in a game like this, if it was done by a competent developer.

Steal a car, go on a high speed chase, get caught by cops and go to jail, now a gang wants you to join them. How does that hurt this fucking game again? lol It literally has a whole thing called "street kid", yet you can't do shit to even support that idea lol

You do things in Elder Scrolls like randomly sleep in some place and wake up a vampire or joining the dark hand or thieves guild. Its not arguing for them to be 1.1, it saying such a thing can exist if the features are in place to allow the player to simply fully play the narrative of the city.

not simply fucking TOLD it. This isn't a book, its a video game you play and most of my time with Cyberpunk was like "why the fuck is this a video? Why isn't this simply something freely done in the open world to just prompt this?" So the open world stuff must make sense to support and re-enforce the narrative or else you have a game spending more time telling you about a world vs you actually playing those features. Be like "the cops are corrupt" you mean the ones that can't drive? Does anyone not see how funny that might be when the game is trying to tell you about a threat so dumb, it can't drive?

Last edited:

JonSnowball

Truth.

I also don't like this "its not GTA" excuse.

CDPR marketed this game to be about a city with crime, cops, cars and bad guys, gangs etc, I don't think anything is wild or uncalled for to believe you'd be able to steal cars, cops chase you, gangs chase you in cars etc. That doesn't even sound like something to question in a game in 2020, that sounds so fucking moot, any game you tell us like "when you steal a car, cops chase you in cars, boats " etc would be massively moot, we'd be like "ok...and what else"? lol

its not new, its expected cause this is the world they are telling us about in the narrative.

Would be like saying "it not Elder Scrolls or Fallout, so they shouldn't have pick pockets or thieves" as if that idea was completely invented by that or something.

The developer cheated themselves out of some amazing concepts and any of the features I've seen talked about would do wonders in a game like this, if it was done by a competent developer.

Steal a car, go on a high speed chase, get caught by cops and go to jail, now a gang wants you to join them. How does that hurt this fucking game again? lol It literally has a whole thing called "street kid", yet you can't do shit to even support that idea lol

You do things in Elder Scrolls like randomly sleep in some place and wake up a vampire or joining the dark hand or thieves guild. Its not arguing for them to be 1.1, it saying such a thing can exist if the features are in place to allow the player to simply fully play the narrative of the city.

not simply fucking TOLD it. This isn't a book, its a video game you play and most of my time with Cyberpunk was like "why the fuck is this a video? Why isn't this simply something freely done in the open world to just prompt this?" So the open world stuff must make sense to support and re-enforce the narrative or else you have a game spending more time telling you about a world vs you actually playing those features. Be like "the cops are corrupt" you mean the ones that can't drive? Does anyone not see how funny that might be when the game is trying to tell you about a threat so dumb, it can't drive?
Stroke Stroke Stroke Your Hate Boner till it spits in your eye.

Perrott

Gold Member

Just weird to me
CDProjekt ain't some new 50-people studio wanting to push way above their weight with a AA game, actually they were one of the most powerful and richest independent AAA game studios in the world. So they have no excuse for the unpolished burning pile of crap that was Cyberpunk at launch. Couldn't care less about all your ambition if the execution is so uneven and straight up broken.

Hopefully this Phantom Liberty expansion will live up to the standard of quality of Rockstar's releases, which is what they promised for Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

Arachnid

go-for-it-you-can-do-it.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I deliberately held back on playing the game until it got the PS5|SX patch, and by that point, with the year long worth of patches, the refinements and the new Performance mode, I believe the game was already in a redeemed status from its launch. Will check out the DLC too but not at launch, maybe at a later point.

Braag

Just weird to me

It's why most open world games feel like Assassin's Creed or Far Cry. People like formulaic games that are familiar. They sell well.

CDProjekt ain't some new 50-people studio wanting to push way above their weight with a AA game, actually they were one of the most powerful and richest independent AAA game studios in the world. So they have no excuse for the unpolished burning pile of crap that was Cyberpunk at launch. Couldn't care less about all your ambition if the execution is so uneven and straight up broken.

Hopefully this Phantom Liberty expansion will live up to the standard of quality of Rockstar's releases, which is what they promised for Cyberpunk.
I don't think the foundation that Cyber Punk is built on is capable of Rockstar level of polish. It's like Skyrim in that way. Even 10+ years later, there are still going to be shitload of bugs

Gamers were way too premature to anoint CDPR. Witcher 3 was the only major success they had. To think they could easily shift from a 3rd person action adventure game to a 1st person massive RPG seamlessly was ignorant. There is a reason why Rockstar games are so polished. They stick to what they do well and perfect it

I don't think the foundation that Cyber Punk is built on is capable of Rockstar level of polish. It's like Skyrim in that way. Even 10+ years later, there are still going to be shitload of bugs

Gamers were way too premature to anoint CDPR. Witcher 3 was the only major success they had. To think they could easily shift from a 3rd person action adventure game to a 1st person massive RPG seamlessly was ignorant. There is a reason why Rockstar games are so polished. They stick to what they do well and perfect it
Yeah but CDPR actively marketed the game as such. You can’t blame people for having those expectations when CDPR build up those expectations.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
getting as much time as they need, and improving CD Projekt's work-life balance issues.

STFU Jason.

For someone so concerned about the welfare of the working class...he/she sure doesn't have an issue using Twitter.

He already stayed silent on certain shit. He doesn't have much room to push his virtue signal.

EDMIX

Yeah but CDPR actively marketed the game as such. You can’t blame people for having those expectations when CDPR build up those expectations.

Agreed.

Its not like we marveled at Watchdogs or Saints Row having a whole police system, driving cars while in combat, smart NPCs or something, that was kinda moot and expected.

This isn't even fucking asking it to be Skyrim or GTA, this is asking it to be a open world game to todays expected standards of features. What fucking game is coming out in 2020 or even right now by a big AAA company, that is open world, in a city with humans, where you can drive cars, but enemies can't, broken AI? lol Nothing like this has occurred to this scale for anyone to really believe what was expected, was a GTA clone or Skyrim clone.

We did expect the AI can do, what you can do....drive, shoot etc. That isn't even wild request, its merely odd the game literally shipped without theses elements and thought in 2020 that wasn't going to be talked about or something, thats like Watchdogs 4 releasing with no AI and dumb enemies that can't drive and Ubisoft's excuse is "well, its not GTA DOE CUH" lol

rhodesianshepard rhodesianshepard So I'm not expecting Rockstar level of polish, but I am expecting those features to be met if CDPR is telling us this world is this or that. How come the game doesn't support that idea? That isn't really a debate on polish, that is questioning how a open world game with a police system can launch in 2020 with almost no AI, to the point of it being patched years later to complete what should be, a base feature. It would be like thinking ONLY Rockstar has launched a game with AI or where people can drive cars and come after you or something. That isn't about Polish, HOW WELL it works might be about polish, but any game can come out with some of theses features and I promise you the feature alone wouldn't be front page news type of thing

Look at the new Saints Row game.....

Keep in mind, I agree that Witcher 3 was their first big AAA title, but I don't think it was ignorant to believe they could pull off a AAA open world title like what CP2077 was trying to be, with the right resources, we are not even talking about brand new, never been done before concepts. They are actually dated concepts. If anything, we as a community didn't know how poorly staffed that team was for a project like this, but this being their first shift in such a different genre and game, simply can be an excuse.

Look at Horizon Zero Dawn, GG literally went from Killzone, a FPS title, to a 3rd person open world RPG and moved millions of units and won many awards and was jam packed with obvious RPG type features. Its not even saying THAT is the norm of that move, shit for all we know if Sony only gave em 400 or so to do it, maybe it would turn out as bad as Cyberpunk, so I don't think this is because they never did a game like this before, I think its because they didn't have the support needed to make that game exist based on its original vison. (I blame the publisher for this btw, not the team)

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
getting as much time as they need, and improving CD Projekt's work-life balance issues.

STFU Jason.

For someone so concerned about the welfare of the working class...he/she sure doesn't have an issue using Twitter.
Twitter is your example? Twitter? Lmfao.

tryDEATH

This was kind of a sh*t show when it released for many people, though I didn't have many problems that I can recall so I am very excited to see what the patch and expansion bring to the game. I do think it is a shame that they will stop working on this game as it has still so much untapped potential that will go unfulfilled.

Also squeezing Phantom Liberty in between Startfield and Forza Motorsport is just cruel there aren't enough hours to play these games.

There's a lot of people covering this story right now, so I don't see any reason why we need to post articles from this guy.

Top Bottom