• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Embracer Group to Sell Saber, Developer of a New ‘Star Wars’ Game Remake, in $500 Million Deal

Draugoth

Gold Member
Last edited:

Svejk

I mean, it's not SIE, right? Is it one of these fast growing Arab investors wanting to get their foot in the gaming industry?

Kacho

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

So... is this the developer that has basically screwed up the KOTOR remake with nothing to show for it? And they're valued at $500M?

Sony made the deal of the decade when getting Insomniac for ~$300M. Hell, deal of the century even.
We don't know anything about it beyond rumor.

Hugare

Man, Saber is one hell of a studio

Their Alien Isolation Android port is masterful. So is Crysis 1/2/3 on the Switch. And The Witcher 3 port for the Switch.

AND they are making Kingdom Come for the Switch, which is nuts

I'm glad that at least they wont close doors

So... is this the developer that has basically screwed up the KOTOR remake with nothing to show for it? And they're valued at $500M?

Sony made the deal of the decade when getting Insomniac for ~$300M. Hell, deal of the century even.

No, that would be Aspyr. Completely different developer.

To clarify further: Aspyr shit the bed and Saber took the project to make it happen, but just recently

Last edited:

Montauk

All studios struggle with a project at some time or another.

The industry is famous for it. Failing is part of succeeding.

That they’ve had trouble with making it, maybe restarted it, doesn’t tell you much. Certainly not enough to laugh at their valuation, as if you have the slightest idea what their staff, experience and assets are worth.

Mowcno

Man, Saber is one hell of a studio

Their Alien Isolation Android port is masterful. So is Crysis 1/2/3 on the Switch. And The Witcher 3 port for the Switch.

AND they are making Kingdom Come for the Switch, which is nuts

I'm glad that at least they wont close doors

No, that would be Aspyr. Completely different developer.

To clarify further: Aspyr shit the bed and Saber took the project to make it happen, but just recently
Aspyr is a subsidiary of Saber Interactive.

Kacho

No, Aspyr were the ones that fucked up the KOTOR remake. Saber might have taken over that project.

Saber had a big hit with SnowRunner and a new game in the series is dropping next week. They are also working on the 40K Space Marine sequel. Good studio.

Hugare

Aspyr is a subsidiary of Saber Interactive.
It was added as a subdiary after being acquired by Embracer in 2021

So I dont consider them like Saber 'cause wouldnt be vary fair (tho they are)

Imagine Take2 saying that from now on Groove Street Games will be a Rockstar subsidiary

I would assume prices for anything in gaming are plummeting right now, with the whole industry being on a drastic cut cycle after bulking up before. Dumbasses bought in a hive minded move, investing at an upwards curve their precious dollars, while now some interesting cheap investments can probably be made.

Last edited:

Dural

Saber is way bigger than Insomniac was when they were acquired, have a bunch of subsidiaries, and also have some IP that they own.

Iced Arcade

Won't be surprised if they sell Crystal Dynamics to MS and that it was planned all along.

CD has been working with MS since embracer acquired them.

CamHostage

This isn't just one development studio. Saber Interactive has a large number of subsidiaries. Over 2000 employees.

Right, Saber is a huge subdivision of Embracer... and to my mind it's the main value segment in the whole Embracer group.

So many of the other little divisions put out their one or two middleground-audience franchise entries every couple of years and a few of them do nice business in that old THQ "Eh, if we throw enough shit at the wall something will stick" way, but Saber is of the now. They're a workhorse studio with a hot engine (their Swarm tool has done amazing stuff on current-gen yet has even worked decently on Switch) and a ton of experience subcontracting on ports and co-pros and lots of brands being juggled, and they've just produced non-stop; plus they have a number of subsidiaries and have a CGI studio and all kinds of other groups to get stuff done. There would be still good companies left in the Embracer group if this happens, but Saber will take with it a significant portion of the reason why Embracer is/was an actively viable force in game publishing.

Dane

Microsoft buying Gearbox to work on Halo just as they did for the original PC port would be a real twist of fate.

At this point I’d sooner trust them over 343.
According to rumors years ago, MS came close to buy Gearbox, but would only close the deal if Randy was out, he didn't agree so no deal done.

Alebrije

Yep but then spoiled all with Bungie.

Darsxx82

How desperate would Embrace be to propose a sale at the worst of the worst times with recent massive layoffs by all the Publishers.

It makes me think that it is more of an act of faith and goodwill towards Saber and its employees than something they believe can happen.

I hope they find a buyer. Better that than disappearing. But it is clear that whoever buys is not going to keep all the jobs.

SJRB

Gold Member
Embracer is basically consolidation gone wrong. They invested so much just to realize it was not sustainable for them to keep all the studios.

Didn't Embracer collapse because they bought a ton of studios on borrowed money while they were banking on a huge investment that in the end didn't come to fruition?

Jinzo Prime

Right, Saber is a huge subdivision of Embracer... and to my mind it's the main value segment in the whole Embracer group.

So many of the other little divisions put out their one or two middleground-audience franchise entries every couple of years and a few of them do nice business in that old THQ "Eh, if we throw enough shit at the wall something will stick" way, but Saber is of the now. They're a workhorse studio with a hot engine (their Swarm tool has done amazing stuff on current-gen yet has even worked decently on Switch) and a ton of experience subcontracting on ports and co-pros and lots of brands being juggled, and they've just produced non-stop; plus they have a number of subsidiaries and have a CGI studio and all kinds of other groups to get stuff done. There would be still good companies left in the Embracer group if this happens, but Saber will take with it a significant portion of the reason why Embracer is/was an actively viable force in game publishing.
Out of all their studios, I expected them to keep Saber. It seems like it is well run, with a great mix of talent from North America and Eastern Europe.

RickMasters

Never realised they paid 3 bills for insomniac…. And then an insomniac game costs another 300 million to make?

Kinda wild when you think about it
Make It Rain Money GIF by yvngswag

Top Bottom