• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Game Pass, an Endless Stream of Games Is the Perfect Business Model for a Pandemic

Kagey K

Banned
Stunning. How could anyone doubt XGS with output like that even though 1/3 of it isn’t XGS at all and a further 1/3 is multiplatform.

Ori is fabulous by the way. MS should have snapped up Moon Studios when they had the chance.
He said they needed content and games. I provided a list of said content and games. (Which I shamelessly stole from J John254 😉)

The only other thing I could have done was list everything they have added to Game Pass since March, but I'm sure it wouldn't have made any difference.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
We'll see a big shift to subscriptions and eventually streaming over this next decade. Sony will roll out their version of Gamepass under slightly different branding, but it will really just be the same thing with a different coat of paint. At first it will be awesome and the consumers will be the winners. Eventually it will devolve into the videogame equivalent of Netflix vs Hulu vs Prime vs Peacock vs Disney+ vs Apple TV vs a billion other competitors with every major publisher wanting a piece.

But do gamers really "WANT" this?

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I’m obviously talking about it succeeding for consumers and its continuous growth. I don’t think anyone including MS expects it to be profitable now. Services do not work like that. And as Phil said I’ll let them worry about the profitability.

*sigh* you and Phil, are exactly wrong with the industry. The model has to work for both parties. Gaming is an expensive hobby, game development is a expensive project. Their needs to be a balence where it works for the consumers/ dev and not just one lane. As a business you start one to be profitable, period.

But do gamers really "WANT" this?

The casual audience will buy in during the phase when it's a great value with low profit margins for Sony/MS and lots of content from different publishers all included in one package. Once all the publishers start turning out their own services and distancing themselves from Sony/MS we will begin to experience the same fatigue many have begun to have for video streaming.

I'm not claiming that we should or shouldn't want any of this. I'm perfectly happy with the current model though I do wish there was a little less paid DLC all over the place.

Batiman

Banned
*sigh* you and Phil, are exactly wrong with the industry. The model has to work for both parties. Gaming is an expensive hobby, game development is a expensive project. Their needs to be a balence where it works for the consumers/ dev and not just one lane. As a business you start one to be profitable, period.
Wrong with the industry? Lol. Haven’t most devs praised GP? Do you think I don’t mean for them to profitable? Obviously. This is MS plan in the long run. Sometimes businesses think ahead you know.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Wrong with the industry? Lol. Haven’t most devs praised GP? Do you think I don’t mean for them to profitable? Obviously. This is MS plan in the long run. Sometimes businesses think ahead you know.

I have yet one fellow dev tell me how they benefit from gamepass. Yes, your game may get more looks but does that generate revenue to that dev? If so how since the gamer is paying for a sub to gamepass?

I have yet one fellow dev tell me how they benefit from gamepass. Yes, your game may get more looks but does that generate revenue to that dev? If so how since the gamer is paying for a sub to gamepass?
well, maybe you should ask a "fellow dev" that took advantage of game pass.
or at least read the op & article

Batiman

Banned
Many devs have came out and said their games are selling more due to gamepass. Exposure. YouTube, twitch word of mouth etc. On top of their gamepass money.

Raziel

Like these?

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 90 on MC
Microsoft Flight Simulator - 93 on MC
Wasteland 3 - 85 on MC
Tell Me Why - 79 on MC
Gears Tactics - 81 on MC
Minecraft Dungeons - 78 on MC

More like these (games not on Game Pass):

Animal Crossing
Fall Guys
Doom Eternal
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
Resident Evil 3
The Last of Us Part 2

By and large, these are the games that have generated the most excitement during the pandemic.

Similarly for the rest of the year, many more would likely opt for non-Games Pass games Avengers, Call of Duty , Cyberpunk, Spider-Man, and Watch Dogs, over Game Pass games like Scorn, The Ascent, and The Medium.

Batiman

Banned

Playground- phenomenal
Inxile- top down garbage next
Obsidian- Avowed, see you in 2022, maybe
Ninja Theory- Bleeding trash and Sacrifice 2, see you in 2023
Double Fine- Psychonaunts is coming to playstation
Compulsion- We not so happy few
Turn 10- Not bad
Initiative- more like lack of initiative with not showing anything yet, see you in 2023
Coalition- killed any gears hype they had coming from 3

I mean where are the firsty party bangers? Gamepass fodder and third party deals that cost more money than making them money and conditioning xbox owners to not buy games. What a great strategy. Wheres my incentive?

Jeez you really live up to your name, don't you? Complete trash "opinion", more console warrior poo-flinging at that.

Reactions: MrS

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Second part of my post wipes your ass with "piss poor output" :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Btw. 10 million Halo 5's sold at 50 million consoles? I call it a win. Because I can't find Sony exclusive with that high of attach rate. Just sayin :messenger_winking:
Mind linking where it says they went ten million with actual numbers and a source and not saying "well its close enough"

Batiman

Banned
And thats straight up sad seeing how aony has more quality games.
That comes down to opinion though. Sony puts out great quality games no doubt but I’ve been having a lot more fun these days with the more smaller games I discover on gamepass. GOd of war is probably my favourite game this gen. Loved ratchet and clank, spider man was pretty good. Uncharted4 was awesome. The rest well received Sony titles did nothing for me personally.

So when you take in all the great Sony titles that I enjoyed this gen and add it to the bigger picture. They probably took up a small percentage of my gaming time. They’re great experiences but they are usually all one and dones. That’s why I’ll be getting the series X for the best third parties and gamepass which takes takes up 90% of my gaming time. PS5 for those great experiences that I can’t miss.

Pallas

To me the real joy of Gamepass is trying out games you would have never given a chance otherwise, you’ll find some hidden gems.

Journalists are way cheaper than developers after all.

I know, Microsoft should just buy Bloomberg and Forbes already, like it’s getting RIDICULOUS that they are posting positive news about Xbox.

Could someone answer this for me

Do games get taken down off gamepass?

For example

Say I get the witcher 3, get 30hrs in, then ms remove it from gamepass, i guess thats it?

Or games are never removed?

Games are removed, but you are always given at least a 14 day warning before it actually leaves the service, and you also get a discount on any games that are included in the service.

However, first party games are guaranteed to never leave the service (barring the theoretical delisting of Forza Horizon 4 in a few years), so I have to imagine that in a few years once the XGS studios have begun pumping out their games (Fable, Avowed, Halo Infinite, Perfect Dark etc) this will become less of a concern

If they were immediately profitable with Gamepass right when they began adding their first party games to the service, then there would be no real growth as the service would be costly. What they are doing is smart, taking a temporary loss so that they can have massive gains in the future. Just look at how many subscribers they already have (at least 10 million) and as they continue to grow, they will eventually make a shit ton of money, more than enough for Gamepass to be continuously profitable but to make back any lost money in the investment phase. Once their own first party games make up the majority of games on the service (54-57 games already, counting games like Wasteland 3, Outer Worlds and We happy Few as first party even though they were published by a third party) they will need to spend less on big third party games such as RE7, Witcher 3, RDR2, GTA V, Yakuza, ESO etc even though they likely still will pay to have at least a few of them on there.

I have also been more than willing to purchase similar games upon playing games I enjoyed on Gamepass, including various metroidvanias (after having played Ori and Bloodstained) and RPGs.

Also, it's not like they force gamers to sub to their service to play their games. Even on PC, they list most of their games on Steam, a third party platform (where they only make 70% of the sales revenue) but it just allows for player choice. They are fine, and I am sure that the actual businessmen at the Xbox division know more than we do

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Gamepass is guaranteed money. Do you think all the publishers that put their games on Gamepass are idiots? Obviously these people that run a business stand to benefit from it or they wouldn't do it.

Kagey K

Banned
Here’s a dev explaining it. 42:00 into the interview.

Racer!

Gamepass feels alittle like those copyparties in the 80`s, 1000`s of mediocre games on cassettes. It was fun then, but now I rather just pay and play good ones.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The "cause" is the future of videogames being Battletoads (cheap, throw away shovelware that you get for essentially free), or being Ghost Of Tsushima, it's that simple. Are you going to make games good enough that people will WANT TO PAY $60? Because those are two different mindsets about the value of individual games that have come to fruition lately. I'd rather pay $100 for a game like GoT than to be spoon-fed "filler" games because they're "free" on a "service".
You haven't made a good case why a service like Gamepass necessarily leads to lesser quality games and more shovelware. Its perceived value is lessened if they do that, so it's not in their interest to do that. The article also says that Gamepass led to 20% increases in sales, so it can't be sales related.

Aladin

In many industries, we have reached the peak of what could be innovated. We have plucked low hanging fruits. I suppose we can see MS/Sony pushing to reduce cost of game dev. The way I see it Gamepass and Sony exclusives aren't different strategies. Both are low margin, high volume, advertisements to their ecosystems.

Tschumi

This seems utopian, and as with most utopian things it might not turn out as well as people think.. having freedom to play any of a bazillion titles is a recipe for burnout and diluted enthusiasm, if you ask me. Would be better if you could buy games, attain a completion token, and use that completed game as credit for 80% of the next game or something.. you've got to keep the motivation to complete/invest time in games there, or people will just not latch on.. at least, that's been my reaction to getting unlimited access to every game on my vita/a tonny ton ton of titles on steam~

Last edited by a moderator:

Kagey K

Banned
This seems utopian, and as with most utopian things it might not turn out as well as people think.. having freedom to play any of a bazillion titles is a recipe for burnout and diluted enthusiasm, if you ask me. Would be better if you could buy games, again a completion token, and use that completed game as credit for 80% of the next game or something.. you've got to keep the motivation to complete/invest time in games there, or people will just not latch on.. at least, that's been my reaction to getting unlimited access to every game on my vita/a tonny ton ton of titles on steam~
Thankfully Devs aren’t paid based on time played or any other metric. mS offers them a dollar amount and they accept it or reject it.

It’s that simple. It doesn’t matter if 1 person plays it or 1000 million do.

Tschumi

Thankfully Devs aren’t paid based on time played or any other metric. mS offers them a dollar amount and they accept it or reject it.

It’s that simple. It doesn’t matter if 1 person plays it or 1000 million do.
My point is i don't think it's going to be the giant success people are saying it will be, i think eventually people will go back to paying full price for one great game, rather than a subscription for.. porridge.. i mean, nobody needs to tell me they might not be porridge.. my first post just outlines why i feel that way

You haven't made a good case why a service like Gamepass necessarily leads to lesser quality games and more shovelware. Its perceived value is lessened if they do that, so it's not in their interest to do that. The article also says that Gamepass led to 20% increases in sales, so it can't be sales related.
The thing is, it is easy to increase your sales if you got in early when there is less competition. But once the games stack up it gets harder and harder to get noticed.

Back when the Switch first released, there was news of how indie developers made so much more money on Switch than on PS or Xbox. But that stopped once there was too many games for them to get noticed. So the same with Gamepass, it is easy point scoring to say your indie game suddenly made more money just because of a lack of competitors. That does not mean it would last.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The thing is, it is easy to increase your sales if you got in early when there is less competition. But once the games stack up it gets harder and harder to get noticed.

Back when the Switch first released, there was news of how indie developers made so much more money on Switch than on PS or Xbox. But that stopped once there was too many games for them to get noticed. So the same with Gamepass, it is easy point scoring to say your indie game suddenly made more money just because of a lack of competitors. That does not mean it would last.
How is that the case when games get taken off periodically?

Top Bottom