• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: iPad 3 in March with retina display, quad core chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
Well it's not really a new design exactly. Rumors have been building up the last few months that MacBook Pro are going to go to the Air form factor and lose the optical drive. So there will be just one MacBook line of 11'-17' inch screens with super thin design. I suspect it will warrent a mention and be shown at another conference, likely at WWDC since due to the Ivy Bridge processor the Mac refresh will be in the summer which times it perfectly with WWDC and Apple likes limiting the conferences they do to a handful a year. The focus of the WWDC conference will be the new iOS revision like it has been the last few years though.

So it's new for Pro but not really new, since we seen the design in the 11 & 13 inch airs. Apple is already building to this, they only show Airs anymore in any press images that involve MacBooks.

Basically I see it going as

March: iPad 3 reveal (with new Apple TV as the bonus)
June: WWDC conference showing off iOS 6 (with some on Mountain Lion and refreshed Macs coming out that summer as the bonus)
Fall: New iPhone reveal with some more iOS 6 information (and some talk on new iPods as the bonus)

Recon

Banned
Yeah, I would hope they don't go for a full redesign. I think the current design has yet to be beat and I would love a 15 inch air.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah, I would hope they don't go for a full redesign. I think the current design has yet to be beat and I would love a 15 inch air.

Yeah, I suspect there would probably have been some rumors by now if they were going to redo the Air design. Basicall all the Mac rumors center around MBP going to the Air form factor, spec upgrade, and retina display.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
When the he'll is the new Macmini going to come out. My iMac died a month ago and I'm worried that with all the attention the iPad 3 and the new iMacs are getting we might not see a new Macmini for a while. My other fear is I bite on a mini now and the new revision comes out a few weeks later.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

Cheebo

Banned
When the he'll is the new Macmini going to come out. My iMac died a month ago and I'm worried that with all the attention the iPad 3 and the new iMacs are getting we might not see a new Macmini for a while. My other fear is I bite on a mini now and the new revision comes out a few weeks later.

Ivy Bridge. Apple won't release revisions to any of their Macs till they get the Ivy Bridge processor from Intel. And Intel likely won't be delivering those to Apple till June. Apple will then refresh their Mac line in the summer it is expected. Likely timed with the release of Mountain Lion which is also out in the summer.

They also want to give iPad 3 time to shine. Ther schedule looks to be:

Spring: New iPad
Summer: New Macs
Fall: New iPhone

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Ivy Bridge. Apple won't release revisions to any of their Macs till they get the Ivy Bridge processor from Intel. And Intel likely won't be delivering those to Apple till June. Apple will then refresh their Mac line in the summer it is expected. Likely timed with the release of Mountain Lion which is also out in the summer.

They also want to give iPad 3 time to shine. Ther schedule looks to be:

Spring: New iPad
Summer: New Macs
Fall: New iPhone

Bleh. Maybe I'll just get the mini now and the Apple 27" screen now and be done with it. I have portfolios to send out.

Cheebo

Banned
And honestly ivy bridge will be nice but it's just a spec upgrade. I see no reason to wait unless you really badly want a semi better cpu. Only place any major change is expected is notebooks due to retina and pro likely going air.

What happened to that whole "Liquid Metal" build material? Apple scooped up that one company years ago, and it seemed like for the past year or two everyone thought 2012 would be the year Apple might finally begin to start producing products with that new fancy polymer casing. I don't think I've heard a peep about it in almost a year.

LCfiner

Basically I see it going as

March: iPad 3 reveal (with new Apple TV as the bonus)
June: WWDC conference showing off iOS 6 (with some on Mountain Lion and refreshed Macs coming out that summer as the bonus)
Fall: New iPhone reveal with some more iOS 6 information (and some talk on new iPods as the bonus)

I think you're bang on

What happened to that whole "Liquid Metal" build material? Apple scooped up that one company years ago, and it seemed like for the past year or two everyone thought 2012 would be the year Apple might finally begin to start producing products with that new fancy polymer casing. I don't think I've heard a peep about it in almost a year.

I hope you enjoy your futuristic liquid metal SIM card removal pin. that's what they use it for now

perhaps more seriously, maybe in future iPhones to reduce thickness of a back plate?

Why? The current A5 is pretty much on par with the Tegra 3 in general performance and outpaces it in graphical performance. If you were expecting a Cortex-A15, then that's a different problem.

Given that it looks like several manufacturers (Asus, HTC) are dropping the tegra 3 for the qualcomm dual core, what does this mean for the performance of the Ipad 3 if it sticks with a modified A5?

giga

New Apple TV launching alongside the iPad 3.

Reliable sources familiar with Apple’s upcoming product release have said that the company is in fact launching a new Apple TV alongside the next-generation iPad. We initially reported that Apple would be releasing two major new products in early March, and then believed the product would be a new Apple TV due to mounting code-based evidence for such a product with simultaneous supply constraints. Now, sources have outright said Apple is launching this J33 (the new Apple TV’s codename) alongside the new iPad.

Three different iPad 3 variants, probably wifi/3g/lte?

Sources are also saying that Apple will in fact launch at least three next-generation iPad variants in March. These sources backup our previous reports and say these new iPads are called J1, J2, and J2a internally. The J1 and J2 code names have long been tied to Retina Display iPad reports from the Asia, so these code names add another layer of confirmation to new iPad carrying a Retina Display. In our report on a number of next-generation iPad-related rumors, we noted that pre-sales would begin on March 7th (likely event day) or just a few days later. Sources are now saying that next-generation iPad shipments are already landing at ports of multiple countries around the world, so expect near-immediate availability. That does not mean you can buy one on event day, but likely within one to two weeks after the announcement.

This J1 iPad is likely the WiFI-only model, and the J2 and J2a are likely different cellular-data-enabled versions. GSM/CDMA/LTE have all been rumored cellular-date types for the new iPad, so those two J2 models are likely some technical combination of the three.

We’re also hearing of a mystery accessory that will launch alongside the new iPads and Apple TV. We’re not sure what it is, but it’s called “B82″ internally. The product is likely some accessory, probably ranging from either a cable, cover, or new audio remote. The new Apple TV will include Bluetooth 4.0 capability, so perhaps Apple will ship an improved remote to that takes advantage of that next-generation Bluetooth protocol. We’ve got part numbers for all of these new products after the break. Thanks, Mr. X!

http://9to5mac.com/2012/02/28/sourc...-immediate-availability-hinted-for-new-ipads/

RubxQub

I really hope Apple TV 3 has a app store so many possibilities with that.

AppleTV with some kind of App Store would destroy the world. It HAS to be coming...and I hope sooner than later.

Day 1 purchase for me regardless. I use my AppleTV daily and often.

Kosmo

Banned
New Apple TV launching alongside the iPad 3.

Three different iPad 3 variants, probably wifi/3g/lte?

http://9to5mac.com/2012/02/28/sourc...-immediate-availability-hinted-for-new-ipads/

Makes some sense in light of the Apple TVs being in short supply at stores. I can see them really wanting to push the envelope ans release the TV with the same resolution as the iPad 3 - giving a true 1:1 to Air Play and making the TV the new hub instead of the computer for most people.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
AppleTV with some kind of App Store would destroy the world. It HAS to be coming...and I hope sooner than later.

Day 1 purchase for me regardless. I use my AppleTV daily and often.

Apart from games and video applications. I'm struggling to think what the benefits of having an app store on AppleTV.

RubxQub

Finally get stuff like HBO Go, Hulu Plus, Crackle, etc will be a big deal.

Yep. Right now the AppleTV's only means of content is what Apple brings in via official means (MLB, NBA, NHL, WSJ, iTunes, Netflix, YouTube)...it's a very limited set. Bringing in the App Store (or some kind of content store) would allow users to say "give me HBO, Hulu, Stars, Showtime, ABC...) whatever apps are available on the app store that stream content.

The argument right now is that I can AirPlay most of that stuff to my AppleTV anyways, but that requires some kind of iOS device in the first place. Putting it natively on the AppleTV makes it a juggernaut consumption device.

If Apple does this I suspect that every provider of content will shut them out and disable things immediately like they do for every other streaming box like GoogleTV or Boxee. They will need to get approvals from everyone before they just up and do this I think.

Kosmo

Banned
Apart from games and video applications. I'm struggling to think what the benefits of having an app store on AppleTV.

Moving away from the computer as your "hub" for your digital life. The iPad has essentially taken most people away from in front of their PC for what they want to do 90% of the time - check email, surf the web, play some games. Moving that ability to the living room and bundling it with the ability to have a better TV viewing experience is the end game most looking for a "set top box" have longed for.

Think of viewing TV as an App. By combining that with the iPad, I could, for instance, be watching TV, swipe my iPad to bring out my Contact list and see if my parents are online and want to chat with the grandkids, etc. They could also do channels as apps, just like Roku does (but bigger, better) to get to true a la carte programming.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm actually not looking forward to the Apple TV.

When. The Pioneer Kuro's are still the best TV's ever made in my opionion. After that you get the Sony XBR HX929 and Panasonic VT series. I haven't really looked at the Sharp Elite in person, so I can't say anything about that.

What I want in my tv is superb picture quality. I don't really need apps or anything, I just want a damn good display.

I just feel like that if Apple does release an Apple TV, most manufacturers will be worried about copying the apps on the TV instead of making their own displays better. Apples displays are pretty good but they aren't the best out there, and with the size and costs of a bigger TV I'm wondering how much they are going to price the TV's if they try and maximize their profits. Even if it isn't the best display, I feel like people are going to be brainwashed into thinking it is the best TV out there. I already get dumb people that try and say their budget Vizio is better than my Kuro.

If it is the best damn display out there, I will buy it at a reasonable price.

RubxQub

I think what we're talking about is a new AppleTV settop, not an actual display with smart features.

...at least thats what I'm saying.

RubxQub

Holy shit, I think the rumor-dam is breaking and/or broken. :lol

dorn.

I think the "mistery accessory" will be a stylus, active stylus support being the surprise reveal that nobody expected. Reactions should be hilarious.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I think the "mistery accessory" will be a stylus, active stylus support being the surprise reveal that nobody expected. Reactions should be hilarious.
with Photoshop coming to iOS then i'd say a official stylus should be expected. So i don't think that is mysterious enough.
well those two are huge benefits by itself but allowing development on a mainstream device under the TV would be huge. I'm still baffled why its taken Microsoft so long to take advantage of the Xbox.

RubxQub

An official stylus from Apple would be such a crazy thing.

On one hand you could argue that it would just purely be a non-standard accessory that could be used be creative types to do detailed work on the iPad.

On the other, it seems to slap in the face of what Steve seemed to imply was the wonder of these touch devices...using your fingers as the input.

I'm guessing that Apple would not want to get into the stylus business themselves, but may provide some OS level support to allow them to exist.

giga

It's always been Yerba Buena for big events like the iPad. Cupertino was only for their smaller events. I take it Tim Cook is a big NYC fan.

An official stylus from Apple would be such a crazy thing.

On one hand you could argue that it would just purely be a non-standard accessory that could be used be creative types to do detailed work on the iPad.

On the other, it seems to slap in the face of what Steve seemed to imply was the wonder of these touch devices...using your fingers as the input.

I'm guessing that Apple would not want to get into the stylus business themselves, but may provide some OS level support to allow them to exist.

It wouldn't be a slap in Steve's dead face.

They'd do it like they're always doing it.

"blah blah In the past, the stylus sucked big time, because of this this and this.

But we finally made it usable, blah blah.

Here's our magical iPeen and it does it better than everyone else.

$89, go and get it, bitches."

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Hey! Why are you guys all excited about a stylus NOW, but like a few pages back when I asked about it you thought I was dumb!?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Moving away from the computer as your "hub" for your digital life. The iPad has essentially taken most people away from in front of their PC for what they want to do 90% of the time - check email, surf the web, play some games. Moving that ability to the living room and bundling it with the ability to have a better TV viewing experience is the end game most looking for a "set top box" have longed for.

Think of viewing TV as an App. By combining that with the iPad, I could, for instance, be watching TV, swipe my iPad to bring out my Contact list and see if my parents are online and want to chat with the grandkids, etc. They could also do channels as apps, just like Roku does (but bigger, better) to get to true a la carte programming.

I like this idea of connectivity a lot. It would be pretty neat to be able to phone my wife from my tv and have a video chat etc...

JCreasy

If my 50 inch panasonic only does 1080i, is it worth for me to upgrade to this new AppleTV that will do 1080p? 720p on this television is best anyway right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom