• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo Heads for Best Holiday in Years as Profit Seen Tripling

I don't like this news 1 bit, Wii U selling well just tells Nintendo that us the clients accept the fact that they release consoles with last gen hardware.

My hopes for the Next Nintendo console with current gent hardware is obviously gone.

Don't worry, it's still an utter disaster.

Thing is, when Nintendo evaluated the mistakes they made with Wii U (which I am sure they already have), I have a sneaking suspicion that hardware power was not something they actually considered a mistake...

DrWong

Reggie was talking about the entirety of the figure business, not just Amiibo. The figures aren't wrong. Nintendo will only see a fraction of that pie.

He was just talking about this fiscal year with this 1 billion number though. Last numbers I remember (around June) for this entire business: Skylander made 2 billion $. Disney Infinity was at 1 billion. According to Nintendo 50% of these revenues were done on Nintendo systems, so a roughly 1.5 billion $. With Amiibo they are not only consolidating this lead position in this lucrative market but also expanding it. They will see a fraction of that pie obviously, but that pie will become bigger and easier to tap into it.

It's jus the beginning, once the nfc cards will come, followed by cheap amiibo as already announced, the big money will be printed.

Thing is, when Nintendo evaluated the mistakes they made with Wii U (which I am sure they already have), I have a sneaking suspicion that hardware power was not something they actually considered a mistake...

Selling the console at a loss was the mistake. If they made a stronger system they could have charged a higher price. But Sony and MS probably would have undercut them the following year in terms of price if they wanted to ensure they made a profit first off.

A weaker system sold at a profit that was 250$ at launch would have done much better had it the software necessary

I'm personally ready to jump in and get a Wii U, having previously been largely disinterested.

I'm just waiting for it to reach the sweet spot in the UK price-wise. Some of the bundles available on the market don't seem like great value to me, given the consoles technical capabilities. Soon though, hopefully.

It stronger than the last gen systems so naturally it has a higher price.

Jims

I'm really happy that Nintendo is turning around some of their financials, but it kind of depresses me that they have to do it with toys. When I read that Pachter report about how much more bullish he was on them since Amiibo, it demonstrated how the market has changed for them. I mean, it was just Pachter, but I feel like there are probably a lot of financial analysts who looked at it the same way. Amiibo seemed like Nintendo's way of trying to shut up the "go mobile!" investors.

I suppose they should be applauded (from a business sense) for getting more creative in these lean times. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a lot more licensing in general from Nintendo (heck, maybe even a movie) to try to boost revenues and profits.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like this news 1 bit, Wii U selling well just tells Nintendo that us the clients accept the fact that they release consoles with last gen hardware.

My hopes for the Next Nintendo console with current gent hardware is obviously gone.
I'm totally okay with that tho. Nintendo has struck a perfect balance between performance and affordability / accessibility, imo.

Who

Banned

I don't think it was. Their mistake was in marketing and lack of third party software.

Wii2 with Minecraft at launch would of GREATLY improved it's sales IMO. It would of introduced kids and families to the genius of offtv play and when the masses eventually bought COD and other third party titles it would of become the standard. Playing black ops II with my roommates on the WiiU was an incredible experience.

Because Nintendo, traditional company that they are, have always maintained a ~5 life span for each of their consoles, including the GameCube.

NES - 1985
SNES - 1991
N64 - 1996
GCN - 2001
Wii - 2006
Wii U - 2012

Next console will most probably be released on 2017 at the earliest.

I know, that's why I was surprised someone would think they would drag the Wii U out to 2018, giving it a 6 year lifecycle. I mean, by 2018, there's a chance the PS5 and Xbox Two could be launching. I think it would be best if they could get something out by the end of 2016, but I don't know how feasible that would be.

Verger

Banned
So, is Nintendo dead yet? Alive? Comatose?

Every year you think they're gone for good, but they keep coming back I tell you! :O

I don't think it was. Their mistake was in marketing and lack of third party software.

Wii2 with Minecraft at launch would of GREATLY improved it's sales IMO. It would of introduced kids and families to the genius of offtv play and when the masses eventually bought COD and other third party titles it would of become the standard. Playing black ops II with my roommates on the WiiU was an incredible experience.
WOuld anyone but the wii u for minecraft though, given that it's available in other places anyways? Not to mention it's not like Nintendo can make MInecraft owners put it on the system. Also, marketing is a fine line, because too much marketing is just throwing money away. Good marketing isn't about super expensive budgets and putting ads everywhere, it's about efficiently and effectively using a smaller budget. I see people complain a lot about TV ads, but I always wonder a few things: What channels are they watching?, Would more TV ads and channels aimed at older audiences actually achieve anything in this day and age where people tend to record shows and skip ads more often than not?

I know, that's why I was surprised someone would think they would drag the Wii U out to 2018, giving it a 6 year lifecycle. I mean, by 2018, there's a chance the PS5 and Xbox Two could be launching. I think it would be best if they could get something out by the end of 2016, but I don't know how feasible that would be.

2016 makes no sense with their hardware and software pipeline. They still have games releasing in 2016, they have to launch the 3DS's successor around then, they need system software ready with the OS and architecture thought out well between both machines ( I think they'll launch the new handheld and console around relatively soon because they're tied in relationship) they have to launch QOL , have to make mobile apps for communicating with consumers and do all of this. 2017 or 2018 with nice hardware around then

They should keep the Wii U around until they can eeke all the money they can out of it.

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;142444237 said:
2016 makes no sense with their hardware and software pipeline. They still have games releasing in 2016, they have to launch the 3DS's successor around then, they need system software ready with the OS and architecture thought out well between both machines ( I think they'll launch the new handheld and console around relatively soon because they're tied in relationship) they have to launch QOL , have to make mobile apps for communicating with consumers and do all of this. 2017 or 2018 with nice hardware around then

They should keep the Wii U around until they can eeke all the money they can out of it.

That may be a poor business plan. If software sales are low then they're wasting development resources.

Top Bottom