• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Aeana

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does only a certain class learn it? I don't remember seeing it on anyone's skill page but I've left as the default ones they start out as so maybe that's why?
Barrier magic!

...you are seriously at the end of the game and never changed anyone's class? Woww.

Aeana

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Well, I'm going to play it again. It's not as good without the hard difficulty. Plus a lot of the other ones sounded boring. :/
Classes are sources of skills. The game is essentially FF5-2; you level up a class to learn skills, then you can equip those skills in slots and access them from any other class. The generalist class gives you even more skill slots.

Aeana

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Nothings are like mini medals from DQ. You find them when you inspect an object and it says "nothing." then you give them to the Nothing Man in Jibral for rewards.

you really should play around with classes. and generalist definitely deserves some attention since it allows you to equip more items and skills. each class tops out at a certain level after which you dont get any more skills, and most of the classes have some useful skills that several people should have.

Aeana

Seda said:
Inspect everything. EVERYTHING.

You can get some great rewards for nothings. IIRC there's over 1000 of them.
There's a bit over 1800, like 1830 or something, but you only need 1400 to get the last reward (I got every single one in 3 different playthroughs~)

Aeana said:
Nothings are like mini medals from DQ. You find them when you inspect an object and it says "nothing." then you give them to the Nothing Man in Jibral for rewards.

Holy shit, those actually are for something? I never knew that.

Aeana said:
Classes are sources of skills. The game is essentially FF5-2; you level up a class to learn skills, then you can equip those skills in slots and access them from any other class. The generalist class gives you even more skill slots.

Ah, FF5 was one of my favorites too because of that very reason. I'm sad I didn't realize that now. :( Some of the descriptions just made the classes sound boring so I wish I would have checked it out more. :(

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Holy shit, those actually are for something? I never knew that.

Ah, FF5 was one of my favorites too because of that very reason. I'm sad I didn't realize that now. :( Some of the descriptions just made the classes sound boring so I wish I would have checked it out more. :(

i think all of the classes have some very valuable skills. even the ones that sound like crap have a skill or two worht having, even if you dont want to leave a character in a class forever.

Can I just say that I'm glad this thread got bumped, because I got to see Nobuo Uematu's new band Eathbound Papas perform Eternity live this weekend (along with Howl of the Departed from Lost Odyssey OMG OMG). It was AWESOME. Then I had the man himself sign a copy of King's Knight!! The reaction he had when he saw it was priceless (and then his publicist [?] took me aside to get pictures of the signed cart for their blog or something).

2d70oy.jpg

I got this on launch day, and after 4 years and 6 months, I finally finished it yesterday!

Loved the ending. Quite short but sweet and some of the environments around the endgame were amazing. Seriously, this game still looks incredible 5 years from release, and the music..

LOVED the
Birthday
Song at the end of the game, so cute ^_^

It's such a great little RPG. Shame there was never a sequel.

I got this on launch day, and after 4 years and 6 months, I finally finished it yesterday!

Loved the ending. Quite short but sweet and some of the environments around the endgame were amazing. Seriously, this game still looks incredible 5 years from release, and the music..

LOVED the
Birthday
Song at the end of the game, so cute ^_^

It's such a great little RPG. Shame there was never a sequel.

Since you bumped this, I will echo your assessment.
This game was all around superior to Lost Odyssey in every single way, yet got none of the attention or hype.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Since you bumped this, I will echo your assessment.
This game was all around superior to Lost Odyssey in every single way, yet got none of the attention or hype.

I agree as well. Overall I enjoyed BD more than LO, it just more cohesive overall. LO was definitely extremely good as well, but BD just puts a smile on my face every time I play it. :D

I must say, the Achievements are terrible. Finished the game in 54 hours and with 50/1000. Not even an Achievement for finishing it!

I adore the visuals in this, one of the prettiest games ever IMO.
Seems as if plenty of people disagree though.

I wholly agree.

Still wowed by it in 2012. The overall design of the game will go a long way in preserving the games visuals for years to come, aside from some technical hitches during combat.

There were two sort of sequels on the DS. One was a strategy RPG and the other an action RPG.

Yes, the achievements are terrible, but I ended up getting 1000/1000 on it eventually.

Maybe a replay on Hard is finally in order.

goldenpp72

I hate this topic, anytime I see it bumped I think surprise BD2 for 360 :(

Loved the original, second favorite jrpg on the system behind tales of vesperia, even got 1000 in BD :)

goldenpp72

I'm starting this game tonight. Any advices before I start?

If you have a stick up your ass, pull it out before the first boss music rolls in. Other than that, if you care about achievements make sure you understand that a good bulk of the QTE segments all amount to one, and are very much easy to get if you know there is one riding on it. A few other oddball ones require you to spoil usually irrelevant parts of the game to know there is one, but yeah. Other than that it's a pretty easy, but beautiful game that doesn't take much to beat.

And those ridiculous Achievements that you only have one opportunity to get, like the caravan one. Criminal in an RPG!

Good lord O_O

It's actually not too hard.
There is a trick to getting maxed out stat achievements. It involved using a rubber band on the analog stick & in a specific part of the world map. It takes hours, but you don't have to do anything but leave the system on.

As for the secret achievements, a 2nd run through of the game could be done in under 6 hours with new game+ & the accessories that can kill enemies before they can go into battle with you.

Seda

Oh God, another one :mad:

pssh. 1000/1000 on BD is cake.

Try that on SO4 /smugface

I'm insane sometimes

Really? How so?

Simply put, the vanilla game is just way too easy, and one can plow through the game without really delving into the battle mechanics. As evidenced earlier on this page, some people apparently went through the entire game without changing anybody's class. As Aeana puts it, they "...totally missed the best aspect of the game. :/". You're probably not going to get away with that on hard mode, as it forces you to think some more strategy. Leveling up classes adds abilities you can use, that you would otherwise never see.

Ronabo

I thought Hard Mode was impossible on a first time playthrough.

IIRC the first boss will one hit kill you on hard mode on a first time play.

goldenpp72

pssh. 1000/1000 on BD is cake.

Try that on SO4 /smugface

I'm insane sometimes

I would if I didn't think SO4 is the worst jrpg of all time (that I played anyways, i'm sure there are far worse)

BD achievements weren't so hard as they were stupid or tedious, Tales of vesperia has better ones in a way but requires too many playthroughs for me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm starting this game tonight. Any advices before I start?

Cry about the door mashing and ostrich mashing achievements. Terrible.

The rest is completely doable with a bitch of a time shooting no miss mini game.

Also why is this in community? It's a singleplayer game!

Seda

Cry about the door mashing and ostrich mashing achievements. Terrible.

The rest is completely doable with a bitch of a time shooting no miss mini game.

Also why is this in community? It's a singleplayer game!

New OT rules. I guess it doesn't matter the type of game.

Santiako

Thanks all. I've put the hard mode on the download queue. I don't really care about achievements unless I become obsessed with the game (e.g. Dark Souls, Mass effect 2) so I won't worry about that for now.

6 hours for NG+ huh... hmmm..

I really should finish ToV or start The Last Remnant before trying.

Was listening to this just now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fjv6LxB7A0

Amazing tune.

Yeah, it's been a long time, but you can equip something that gives a force-field around you that kills every enemy on contact & gives you half of their experience points.
With a new game +, you will also be one shotting bosses, so yeah pretty fast to get through the game.

Yeah, it's been a long time, but you can equip something that gives a force-field around you that kills every enemy on contact & gives you half of their experience points.
With a new game +, you will also be one shotting bosses, so yeah pretty fast to get through the game.

i could be wrong, but i think it gives you half of the SP; i dont think it gives you any exp.

Can anyone give me some tips? I started this with the hard difficulty setting and I'm kind of regretting it. The game teeters towards bullshit at times, like the King Ghost boss and the stronger normal enemies. I just arrived at Gul Moutain. Between the poor/mediocre story and the constant screen tearing/frame rate issues, I'm kind of finding it hard to justify continuing this. :\ I think I understand the battle system decently enough. I like the job system, but getting the most out of it requires grinding which is made even worse by the technical issues and the battles being soooo slow.

Edit (02-01-13): Between Silent Ku and Zola's jiggling tits, I've had it with this game. This game was not designed for the harder difficulty and it shows.

I loved this game and Lost Odyssey. So sad they won't see sequels. I wish they'd get ported to PC. Maybe if Microsoft continues re-releasing its games like it did with Age of Empires 2 HD they would eventually decide to port this 2?

BELIEVE!

This is my most wanted game right now. I really wish I read this thread when I still had a 360. I think there might be a bit of forbidden fruit syndrome playing here as well.

Top Bottom