• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blue lives matter' law used in arrest of New Orleans man who shouted slurs at police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

New Orleans police arrested a man this week and charged him with a hate crime and other offenses after police say he damaged a window at a French Quarter hotel and then shouted slurs at a witness and officers, according to the man's arrest warrant.

It appears to be the first time Louisiana's so-called "blue lives matter" provision has been used to charge someone with a hate crime involving police officers, according to the Anti-defamation League.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/09/nopd_hate_crime_blue_lives_mat.html

It was later retracted:

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/09/man_accused_under_blue_lives_m.html

But the fact that it happened at all is … problematic.

So the police are a protected group now? Yikes.

More protected than actual minorities. You can call a black person "nigger", a Indian-American "towel head/sand nigger" and not get arrested. Call the cops a "slur" and you get arrested?

Some bullshit of the highest order.

Fuck the police, the most thin skinned whiny bunch of hypocritical bitches next to republicans.

Black Lives Matter movement started to call into question the dubious amount of protection police get after incidents following racial profiling/racism.

Only legislation to come out of it is...a Blue Lives Matter provision. Giving the police even more protection.

Why is this country so fucked up?

Malyse

Is their new slogan "to harass and terrorize" yet?
815d5-police_car_punish_and_enslave_transformers_megan_fox_nude.jpg

Lol ok so he used sexist and racist slurs against it seems mostly a waitress but the cops decided the real hate was against them... awesome

More protected than actual minorities. You can call a black person "nigger", a Indian-American "towel head/sand nigger" and not get arrested. Call the cops a "slur" and you get arrested?

Some bullshit of the highest order.

Fuck the police, the most thin skinned whiny bunch of hypocritical bitches next to republicans.

Police dogs have more rights than minorities here. BUT YOU BETTER STAND UP FOR THAT FLAG DAMNIT!!!

rjinaz

Doesn't this kind of make hate crimes pointless? Isn't the whole purpose of hate crimes to help prevent crimes towards people without much power?

Police are power. They are absolutely God in this country make no mistake about it. You must do what they say at all times or be arrested or worse.

Everyday I hate police more and more. No not every officer that exists just trying to make a living, but the whole system is fucked up and needs to be remade.

MartyStu

]Doesn't this kind of make hate crimes pointless? Isn't the whole purpose of hate crimes to help prevent crimes towards people without much power?[/B]

Police are power. They are absolutely God in this country make no mistake about it. You must do what they say at all times or be arrested or worse.

Everyday I hate police more and more. No not every officer that exists just trying to make a living, but the whole system is fucked up and needs to be remade.

Yes.

There are already laws in most states for things like assaulting a police officer. No need for another layer that puts restrictions on somebody's first amendment rights.

The police are and will always be no more than 'the biggest gang in town' to me.

And that's coming from someone who is English, I dread to think how awful they can be in America.

Nepenthe

Why do I have a feeling that the alt-right/libertarian-esque free speech champions aren't going to say a thing about this?

I thought cops who wanted to arrest you for mouthing off just hit you up with that disorderly conduct citation?
The #bluelivesmatter bill is over the top & will probably end up being challenged in the nation's highest courts.

Why did I have to scroll so far down to see this comment?

Yelling slurs at cops is a protected right. End of argument.

Cops take an oath to uphold the Constitution, generally, and these cops are literally breaking it. There's not even gray area around it. They violated his rights by charging him with that "hate" crime.

It's fucking mind boggling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom