• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO Wkd 06•16-18•17 - Queen is dethroned, all hail McQueen, ScarJo roughed up

Bronx-Man

Banned
Star Trek '09 does all the things I accuse TFA of, but for some reason I like it a little more than Force Awakens. Can't describe why though.

It'd be something if Wonder Woman knocks out Guardians of the Galaxy, only for Spider-Man to then top both.

I looked back through the summer prediction thread, and of people that predicted domestic, only 4 didn't have GOTG at #1: 2 had Despicable Me, and the other 2 were Spidey. No one had GOTG lower than second place.

BumRush

It'd be something if Wonder Woman knocks out Guardians of the Galaxy, only for Spider-Man to then top both.

I looked back through the summer prediction thread, and of people that predicted domestic, only 4 didn't have GOTG at #1: 2 had Despicable Me, and the other 2 were Spidey. No one had GOTG lower than second place.

Does WW really stand a chance against guardians DOM?

Does WW really stand a chance against guardians DOM?
The next two weeks will be pretty critical; if it drops less than 40% against DM3 and less than 50% against Spider-Man, it will have a plausible path to $400M. So there's some wiggle room with Guardians 2 looking to get to $380-390M.

BumRush

The late legs will matter, but it seems to be heading for ~$370m, which is spitting distance from Guardians Vol. 2 DOM take. It will be very close either way.

I dont think WW will have the juice to make it past 380 million. But it will end up closer than anyone anticipated.

The next two weeks will be pretty critical; if it drops less than 40% against DM3 and less than 50% against Spider-Man, it will have a plausible path to $400M. So there's some wiggle room with Guardians 2 looking to get to $380-390M.

Damn I figured it has no shot at $390M. That's awesome!!!

Good Lord at those Gal gifs

I remember back when I thought WW was gonna do about MoS numbers. And here we are and it's already passed $300 million. Crazy crazy legs

kswiston

I took my daughter to Cars 3 today. The marketing sells it like it's Rocky with talking cars, but it's only superficially similar.

There is no final showdown between that black Armie Hammer car and McQueen.

He bows out and lets his female personal trainer-turned-protege car take his number in the race. MRA groups would rage if anyone over 12 cared about Cars

I have not seen either of the first two films, but the tow truck character was pretty minor in this film.

My daughter got into the ending, but was pretty meh on the rest. This was bottom tier Pixar for me as well. I liked the Good Dinosaur more.

I still haven't seen The Good Dinosaur.

I did watch Power Rangers last night. I was actually kind of digging the film for awhile, save for the first joke being a kid unintentionally giving a bull a handjob and a couple of randomly horrifying moments involving the villain. But the second half is fucking terrible; the juxtaposition of big budget CGI with the corniness of Power Rangers does not work at all.

BumRush

I took my daughter to Cars 3 today. The marketing sells it like it's Rocky with talking cars, but it's only superficially similar.

There is no final showdown between that black Armie Hammer car and McQueen.

He bows out and lets his female personal trainer-turned-protege car take his number in the race. MRA groups would rage if anyone over 12 cared about Cars

I have not seen either of the first two films, but the tow truck character was pretty minor in this film.

My daughter got into the ending, but was pretty meh on the rest. This was bottom tier Pixar for me as well. I liked the Good Dinosaur more.

My 3 year old has no desire to see it, and I feel like I'll skip this one and VOD it I'm a few months.

firelogic

I still haven't seen The Good Dinosaur.

I did watch Power Rangers last night. I was actually kind of digging the film for awhile, save for the first joke being a kid unintentionally giving a bull a handjob and a couple of randomly horrifying moments involving the villain. But the second half is fucking terrible; the juxtaposition of big budget CGI with the corniness of Power Rangers does not work at all.

I watched it a couple of nights ago. I know it's an origin story and all but the fact that
it takes exactly 1hr 30mins for them to get their damned suits on was a travesty. Also, they didn't know if they wanted to take a serious approach or a cheesy approach so it was all over the place.
I can't believe it even made $140M.

Damn I just noticed how stacked the next 5 weeks are.

Baby Driver
Apes
Spider-Man
Dunkirk
Atomic Blonde
Something tells me Baby Driver will do better domestically than Dunkirk.

Based on nothing, I think it will go like this:

1. Spider-Man
2. Apes
3. Baby Driver
4. Dunkirk
5. Atomic Blonde

I think they'll do well and I think Baby Driver will get very good word of mouth.

What's everyone's thoughts on Despicable Me 3? I'm not feeling it breaking $90M, let alone $100M, next weekend. Minions had similar audiences scores to Shrek 3, Pirates 3, and Transformers 4 and while this isn't a direct sequel to Minions, I think damage has been done. Also, the main part of the marketing has been Gru's twin brother, which is pretty weak as a hook.

I watched it a couple of nights ago. I know it's an origin story and all but the fact that
it takes exactly 1hr 30mins for them to get their damned suits on was a travesty. Also, they didn't know if they wanted to take a serious approach or a cheesy approach so it was all over the place.
I can't believe it even made $140M.
It does take forever for them to get to that point after their training starts. I also remember one of the big complaints was how often the actors' faces were visible while wearing the suits. I actually didn't mind them, but the mannequin lips on their masks were pretty disturbing, hehe.

BumRush

Picture a nearly photo realistic cg version of Wyoming, and then add the goofiest cartoon dinosaurs that you can imagine to it. Also, make the plot a coming of age 1870s western about a boy and his dog. Only with goofy looking dinosaurs.

I went in with such low expectations that I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it

Edit: it isn't a very good film though

What's everyone's thoughts on Despicable Me 3? I'm not feeling it breaking $90M, let alone $100M, next weekend. Minions had similar audiences scores to Shrek 3, Pirates 3, and Transformers 4 and while this isn't a direct sequel to Minions, I think damage has been done. Also, the main part of the marketing has been Gru's twin brother, which is pretty weak as a hook.

well....

Looking up Cars, that has already dropped from 240 to sub-200 with the sequel. I don't expect that to be a contender with Despicable Me around. The sequel made 100m more than Cars at 562, so I guess Cars 3 will make 662, with most of it coming from foreign, say 25-75 percentages.

So Domestic Summer Season Prediction should be more like:

1. Despicable Me 3 (350)
2. Guardians 2 (250-300)
2. Apes 3 (250)
3. WW aka Snyder 3 (200)
3. Transformers 5 (200)
3. Pirates 5 (200)

It's not like I haven't been wrong about everything else, so I guess Desp. Me 3 not being nr.1 on Domestic is just one more.

Kinda hoping I'm right about Apes though. I know these movies aren't big because they're drama not action, but I feel they should be.
I mean, considering the cultural impact of 'no!' alone, you'd think these movies would be rolling in cash.

Anth0ny

*groan*

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

do NOT watch guardians of the galaxy 2 for your own health!

also sat numbers: TE 17.2, WW 10, C3 9.1, 47M 2.7, Mum 2.4

Wondy's holding that #2 spot. and she'll be at #2 under Despicable Me next weekend too!

kswiston

Looks like Wonder Woman met reality with that Sat bump. Around $25M for the weekend if Rth was accurate. A bit under a 40% drop.

Transformers held better than everyone expected. Should be $68-69M in the estimates fot the 4 day weekend. Not too far behind the $70-75M tracking.

firelogic

It does take forever for them to get to that point after their training starts. I also remember one of the big complaints was how often the actors' faces were visible while wearing the suits. I actually didn't mind them, but the mannequin lips on their masks were pretty disturbing, hehe.

Oh yeah lol. We only saw them in full Ranger garb for a few minutes because they take their face-plates off for the rest of the movie. I didn't really mind because by that point I was long checked out and just wanted to finish the movie.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
*groan*

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

i dream of the day the marvel movies are met with the same fate as transformers.

Black-Panther-Teaser-Trailer-Chadwick-Boseman.jpg

Nev

Banned
Thank God the rest of the world didn't.

Yup because why would we want people to support the most respectful to the source anime adaptation to date.

Cookie cutter sequels forever yay. Fuck paramount for trying something risky and different.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yup because why would we want people to support the most respectful to the source anime adaptation to date.

Cookie cutter sequels forever yay. Fuck paramount for trying something risky and different.
I would give them applause

If it was good.

J_Viper

So TF5 will do well after all?

Sup, Rupert Sanders?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

asian comic book adaptation = risky
american comic book adaptation = safe

in 2017, with the asian box office hitting historical highs

Maybe that'll be the reason for their downfall. "The problem with MCU movies is that they are too good, 2/10".

Homecoming, Ragnarok, Black Panther on deck with their huge Captain Marvel push coming right after. 3 movies a year from now on

people are going to have to be comfortable with an even bigger MCU presence in the next 3-4 years

😃😃😃😃

Pachimari

It's gonna be a lovely year for me. Most excited about Avengers: Infinity War since that's what we've been waiting for for a decade, and I'm extremely excited about Black Panther too.

Anyway, just saw Hot Fuzz last night and that was definitely something special. I didn't find it as good as At World's End and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World but looking at it, I've liked his movies more and more for each one he has released, so I might as well book that ticket for Baby Driver next week.

BumRush

Looking at 2018, why are WB putting out 1 DCEU film when they're effectively guaranteed money makers regardless of quality? Marvel has 3 on slate.

Top Bottom