• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bobby Kotick asks for minimum salary as Activision addresses toxic culture

Jose92

[Membe

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has asked the company's board of directors to reduce his salary and compensation to the lowest possible amount under California Law, until substantial changes are made to improve the firm's workplace culture.

the joker laugh GIF

Edit: I was being sarcastic that is why I put a gif of the joker Clapping not meant as approval! Bobby Kotick is a clown and this is a PR stunt from him.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I can't believe a PR stunt this transparent is already working on people here. Bobby is "Noble, classy, cool" (one of those might be sarcasm) now? Are you Actiblizz stockholders or something?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I can't believe a PR stunt this transparent is already working on people here. Bobby is "Noble, classy, cool" (one of those might be sarcasm) now? Are you Actiblizz stockholders or something?
It's just about not being a hypocrite. If I think an action is a good thing when one person does it, then why flip flop and contort myself into a pretzel to pretend it's bad when someone else does the same thing? I never said I think he's an amazing person or anything.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yeah this seems like a pr stunt. But in the case he actually gives a shit, then good for him, but this is only the first step of a long process towards meaningful change

Papacheeks

Banned

the joker laugh GIF

Yea after countless years of getting over 100 Million in bonuses after releasing, and firing tons of workforce. That guy is still slime, he can go fuck himself. Guy came from Vegas, just like Rand Pitchford, fucktards like that need to be put in prison for what they have done in business.

They are whats wrong with American Business. Exploit the middle class any way you can.

He's doing this because he has to make himself look like he's cooperating. The minute this all ends within the next fiscal year he will be making millions again in bonuses. I 100% believe he will get bonus when Modern warfare 2 is released t record breaking sales. WHich is next year.

Shut0wen

I mean he earns crazy amount and he earns it for the money he makes on games, pretty decent move from him even though its abit late and hes gunba get fined a shit load

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Dude can fuck off and get fired tommorow the same for all the executives at that shit hole company.

Also more diversity? so they are openly racist/sexist now. Won't be supporting that shit hole company anymore.
Don’t forget coldwar season 6 just started!
you can buy that sweet judge dread skin.

don’t forget this weekend is double XP
So finish that battlepass!

Papacheeks

Banned
I mean he earns crazy amount and he earns it for the money he makes on games, pretty decent move from him even though its abit late and hes gunba get fined a shit load

HE CONTRIBUTS NOTHING? Only reason he makes those bonuses is the clause of his Share ownership that dates back to the 90's.

He swooped in when Activision's shared were worth close to nothing and people were not selling. He bought them with "Vegas" investment money, and now sits on a high percentage of shares that when call of duty does well and the balance sheet looks good he gets kicks back regardless of contributions to the over all studios/companies.

He's a piece of shit. He literally laid off tons of people, that shit goes across his desk, and he's in meetings when looking at financials for their stocks. So he knows whats going on. ANd has major say, you think he wasn't one that voted on having 3 studios for call of dusty?

You think he didn't look at the proposals to turn Vicarious Visions, and Toys4 Bob in COD and Blizzard property support studios?

SJRB

Gold Member
He's putting his money where his mouth is. That's a solid committment to changing things. Idk what you expected.

You can't be serious.

Bobby is virtue signaling before an armada of lawsuits are going to rain down on him.

Guy had no qualms taking the highest possible bonusses while Acti/Blizzard employees were literally fired in the name of cost reduction, nor did he take any effort to act on the toxic culture until after the lawsuits hit the company.

[Sigma]

This don't mean shit. When he ask shareholders for a 100+ million pay package, he gets the right number of votes to get it. This gesture pretty laughable considering how long he's ran this bs.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

HE CONTRIBUTS NOTHING? Only reason he makes those bonuses is the clause of his Share ownership that dates back to the 90's.

He swooped in when Activision's shared were worth close to nothing and people were not selling. He bought them with "Vegas" investment money, and now sits on a high percentage of shares that when call of duty does well and the balance sheet looks good he gets kicks back regardless of contributions to the over all studios/companies.

He's a piece of shit. He literally laid off tons of people, that shit goes across his desk, and he's in meetings when looking at financials for their stocks. So he knows whats going on. ANd has major say, you think he wasn't one that voted on having 3 studios for call of dusty?

You think he didn't look at the proposals to turn Vicarious Visions, and Toys4 Bob in COD and Blizzard property support studios?
Hes a business man, sure i hate what hes done to the company but his job is literally to make dollor, what would you rather he lay off some staff or go totally bankrupt so that everyone loses there jobs?? Thing is it may not look it but call of duty games cost a fortune to make, now theres 3 main developerswith 3 year development cycle so cost has went up even more, cod makes money but it aint gta money

You can't be serious.

Bobby is virtue signaling before an armada of lawsuits are going to rain down on him.

Guy had no qualms taking the highest possible bonusses while Acti/Blizzard employees were literally fired in the name of cost reduction, nor did he take any effort to act on the toxic culture until after the lawsuits hit the company.
I'm serious. Virtue signaling is what useless people on Twitter and Era do. Bobby is putting his money where his mouth is. Idc about how he really feels, can't look inside his head anyway.

Kenpachii

Hes a business man, sure i hate what hes done to the company but his job is literally to make dollor, what would you rather he lay off some staff or go totally bankrupt so that everyone loses there jobs?? Thing is it may not look it but call of duty games cost a fortune to make, now theres 3 main developerswith 3 year development cycle so cost has went up even more, cod makes money but it aint gta money

Lol he lays off staff to farm there salary's last year. Lets not pretend he gives 2 shits. Dude has no morals.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

When you make 140 Million in bonuses but lay people off something is not right with that equation. Activision blizzard was not bleeding money? They mad profits in 2019 off of Tony hawk, MW, and CTR and then made bank in 2020 when they launched warzone. On top of launching another COD.

2019-2020 they were making bank like crazy. But still laid shit loads off, and turned two studios into COD, and DIablo factories.

balt1kr1s

Good, it means that shit did hit fan so hard, he actually has to make some financial decisions that will affect him (even if it’s only a very small percentage of his total wealth).

Last edited:

Wildebeest

What a selfless act from someone who only stands to gain a mere 100 million dollars or so if the share price recovers.

killatopak

Maybe now that he doesn’t get any incentive for monetizing the games, he can actually make a goddamn meaningful change.

Unless this is just for show.

Toots

Gold Member
Nice virtue signaling

I hope he transition next time shit hits the fan at Activision. Now that would be stunning and brave

winjer

Gold Member
It's an honorable thing to do.
But let's remember that he allowed this toxicity to fester in Activision for years.
Only now, is he taking action. But only because of external pressure, from lawyers, gamers, journalists and politicians.
Also consider he is a billionaire. He already has so much money and barely pays taxes, he could stop having a wage and suffer nothing for it.
In the end, it's little more than a PR stunt to try to appease the public outcry.

VAVA Mk2

He is a douche and likely part of the problem. I see this as a preemptive way to take heat off him.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I can't believe that people in here actually applauding this perfomative move, which has no real impact on his wealth and at the same time, it's not going to improve life of Acti-Blizz employees. Saying shit like "noble thing to do", sigh... I hope you don't have gag reflex, because that corporate dick is going to go only deeper for you.

Also totally forgotting, that Activision Blizzard is supported by fine people like Tencent and this guy is probably responsible for the whole deal.

And etc.

When you make 140 Million in bonuses but lay people off something is not right with that equation. Activision blizzard was not bleeding money? They mad profits in 2019 off of Tony hawk, MW, and CTR and then made bank in 2020 when they launched warzone. On top of launching another COD.

2019-2020 they were making bank like crazy. But still laid shit loads off, and turned two studios into COD, and DIablo factories.
Im with you on this. With the amount of money they generate off the games compared to the amount of layoffs they've done it's like................yeah okay. The honorable thing to do would have been to salvage all those jobs, not pull this move because the magnifying glass fell on his corporation.

Honorable is being decent when nobodies watching - not when the whole world is looking at his bullshit.

kyussman

After all the years of getting paid so many millions it's nice to know he finally feels finacially stable enough to make a move like this.

Top Bottom