• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BoJack Horseman S2 |OT| Hollywoo’s Biggest Comeback – Spoiler Tags until 7/31

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

I wonder if they'll actually give that Hank Hippopoplus story a good ending, seeing how the actual Cosby case ended with his career basically being dead in the water. Still, it'd fit the show's general theme of failure if a horrible, non-protagonist character gets away with some atrocious stuff, and I think the episode was also supposed to be based on Letterman's old scandal as well; the parallels are stronger with Cosby's horrific history, but he's clearly a Letterman stand-in.

I don't know
Cosby really doesn't need to worry about his career at his current age and wealth so he did get away with it. Anyways I digress

Well, there was hope at the end, after a pretty dark streak. It'll be intriguing to see where they go, especially with the oblique reference to that writer contacting him from that other show.

No doubt about that.

Zubz

Banned
I don't know
Cosby really doesn't need to worry about his career at his current age and wealth so he did get away with it. Anyways I digress

True. The only repercussion Cosby's facing for his atrocious actions to those poor women is that he'll be remembered as an awful person as he retires into solitude, rather than that goofy sitcom dad. However, it would have killed his career if he was still active, and Hank still is because he's tied to Mr. PB's show. The show's usually against straight-up happy endings, but I still want to at least see this story get resolved in a gratifying manner. Plus, it's not like they're against them, either; if the show were to end with S2, I'd be fine with it, because every character has enough good going for them, and although their lives aren't "complete," most of the conflicts brought up this season were resolved. Still, they left a lot of wide openings for a third season, and they honestly have me pretty interested. I can't wait to see where the show'll go next!

Still... that ending from "Escape from LA" genuinely made me uncomfortable. It's clearly going to come up again, though. Maybe it'll be what the blackmail bit from Season 1 would've been like, had it not ended with an anticlimax, and if it would've been far less justifiable than 2 consenting adults who were in a TV family together.

e_i

Just finished both seasons. Great shit. This show goes to some dark places (especially S02E11), and the characters are pretty deep (this is a cartoon?). The only character that annoyed the shit out of me was Adultman. Hearing Kristen Schaal as the voice of a
drug addicted
child star is kind of jarring, mainly because of her role as the ever-sweet Mabel.

Can't wait for season three!

PSqueak

Banned
Just finished both seasons. Great shit. This show goes to some dark places (especially S02E11), and the characters are pretty deep (this is a cartoon?). The only character that annoyed the shit out of me was Adultman. Hearing Kristen Schaal as the voice of a
drug addicted
child star is kind of jarring, mainly because of her role as the ever-sweet Mabel.

Can't wait for season three!

This is my problem with Schaal, love her acting, but dear goodness, she has NO RANGE, and it absolutely destroys immersion whenever Sarah Lynn talks.

Btw, you're wrong for hating Vincent Adultman, but im very glad the wrote him out before the joke REALLY got stale.

Zubz

Banned
wuuuuuuuut??? Vincent Adultman is one of the best characters!

Eh, I'd argue he's/they're the worst of the somewhat-recurring characters, outside of maybe that Rabbit guy whose name I can't remember, if we're counting him (
And even then, he's supposed to be awful
). They're not bad by any means, but they're a one-note joke that went on for a whole season (Well, mid-S1 to mid-S2, IIRC). It was hilarious that PC dragged a cliche "Three Kids in a Trenchcoat" into a forced date. But by the second appearance, it just came off as creepy, and by the third time, the whole "clearly not 1 adult but actually 3 children/only one guy has made this realization" bit was grinding

I know Vincent's a fan-favorite, so I can see why they gave him an episode or two this season before wrapping up his story, rather than just writing him off between seasons. Still, I'm kind of glad they're done with the character, even if I expect a nod or two toward him in the future.

OnPoint

This is my problem with Schaal, love her acting, but dear goodness, she has NO RANGE, and it absolutely destroys immersion whenever Sarah Lynn talks.

I agree with this, despite being on the opposite side of the fence about loving her. I honestly can't stand her. Luckily, she's not enough to ruin the show for me. Her voice is so specifically hers that she ceases being a character to me and is just her.

Whatever though! Bring on Season 3!

Richie

Just finished the second season. To think I was writing off the series when the first handful of episodes from season 1 didn't impress. Man how wrong I was. Seriously one of the best shows I've had the pleasure with. The amount of attention to detail, the universe building up, the drama punches delivered with no mercy whatsoever, the supremely dark humor at times, and what must be the most organic, natural, downright perfect implementation of continuity and callbacks I've witnessed in a TV show...Man, I could be here all day. Season three can't come soon enough.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm eight episodes into season two after watching season one over the past week. I can't get over how good this is. I didn't hear much about it beforehand, which is a shame, because this is top-tier stuff.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I'm eight episodes into season two after watching season one over the past week. I can't get over how good this is. I didn't hear much about it beforehand, which is a shame, because this is top-tier stuff.

I think everyone has the same impression of "What is this mediocre looking stuff," and I think that's part of the reason I think people love Bojack so much. The bar is literally set soooooooooooo low. Especially with that first episode.

Going to the BoJack Cast & Crew Panel tomorrow in SF as part of the SF Sketchfest.

Will report on any major spoilers for season three.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
‘Bojack Horseman’ Creator Raphael Bob-Waksberg Previews ‘Punny and Punishing’ Third Season

In the show’s third season, which will premiere sometime this summer, Bob-Waksberg says there will be an increased focus on Bojack’s “legacy.” The character is “grappling” with “what he is going to be remembered for and what he’s going to be known for,” he says.

At the end of Season Two, Bojack is in as good a place as we’ve ever seen him, valiantly attempting to jog up the hill in front of his house instead of passively lying on his couch with a beer in his hand. But does that positive upswing continue into Season Three?

“Nobody changes overnight,” Bob-Waksberg says. “And so I think you’ll see in Season Three that there are ways in which he is trying to improve himself and there are ways in which he’s still the same old Bojack.”

Instead of being his own worst enemy, Bojack will encounter new forces that try to keep him down. While Bojack was “lucky” that many characters tried to “pull him up” in the first season, Bob-Waksberg hints at characters in the new season who “don’t want to help,” something he said may “frustrate” viewers.

“How’s that for a sell?” he asks. “You’re going to be very frustrated this season.”

Oh man, Season 2 was hard to watch at times. I don't know how much I can take for Season 3.

Serra

I just started watching this today, after seeing Will Arnett voices the main character. Its been pretty hit or miss so far. I think I like it? Just started episode 7. I guess I will stick with it for the rest of season 1 atleast.

Ourobolus

Banned
I just started watching this today, after seeing Will Arnett voices the main character. Its been pretty hit or miss so far. I think I like it? Just started episode 7. I guess I will stick with it for the rest of season 1 atleast.

Season 1, I think, was hit-or-miss. Overall I really enjoyed it, but there were times where I was thinking about not going on.

Season 2, on the other hand, is amazing. Loved damn near every episode. Especially 11, which many people will echo in this thread. Show goes to some really, really, dark places.

Season 1 starts somewhat poorly and slowly improves over the course of the season.

Season 2 is excellent.

Richie

Yo Serra! After checking the first few episodes, I thought my friends had questionable taste when they suggested this series to me as a Must Watch. But I kept checking it.

People here won't let me lie, it'll pay off marvelously. I don't wanna overhype things for you but Episode 11, season 1, it's gonna stay with you.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay finally caught up. Now, it's time for OPINIONS.

Season 1 was great. There wasn't really anything in it that I can think of that really bugged me.

Season 2 on the other hand, was a bit more mixed. First of all, what's the deal with
having Bojack going back to being a total dick to Todd? One of the biggest plot points of S1 was that Bojack realized that Todd was one of his few true friends.

The other problem is that (and I accept that everyone's mileage will vary) this season was much darker, for the worst. I really liked S1 because Bojack Horseman seemed like a comedy with dramatic elements. S2 on the other had, feels like a drama with comedic elements. And unlike S1, everyone in this season is fucked up, not just Bojack. And that penultimate episode with the deer chick and her daughter. Dayum. Unless I'm mistaken, it's probably the first time someone dropped the F-bomb on that show.

Speaking of the deer chick, remind me again what the relationship between her and Bojack was? He made it sound like they used to be close friends, but at one point she says they only knew each other for a day (i dunno if she was exaggerating).

Anyway. Overall, it was enjoyable sure, but S2 is not the kind of season I can see myself watching on repeated viewings like S1. Looking forward to S3.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Also, am I the only one that liked Vince Adultman? At first I thought the joke was kinda played out after the 3rd or 4th instance, but things just kept getting so absurd each time that I wound up glad they kept him (them) around.

Zubz

Banned
Also, am I the only one that liked Vince Adultman? At first I thought the joke was kinda played out after the 3rd or 4th instance, but things just kept getting so absurd each time that I wound up glad they kept him (them) around.

I feel like the response to Vincent Adultman was mostly positive, but I'm in the opposite boat; the joke never came around, and it felt done to death by the end of the first season. That said, it is a bunch of children masquerading as an adult. I'm sure there's a metaphor for the immature Bojack in there, which explains why he stuck.

ONLY?

The only funnier joke on the show was the Hardcore Gasper run.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Everyone seen the trailer for season 3 right? Looking good.

ONE WEEK YOU PROBABLY DEPRESSED MOTHER TRUCKERS!
For real though, I would love it if they ended the series here with Bojack finally finding peace and the last shot is just the silhouette of him looking at the universe in the theater and talking about how beautiful it is. I think i would cry.

Exuro

I just binge watched season 2 today. Man episode
11.... Still feel a bit shocked from that moment even after watching the final.

Can't wait for season 3!

daveo42

Banned
I finished a rewatch of both seasons this past weekend.

I think we all hope that Bojack finally gets that happy ending where things just work out like in his strange sitcom life, even if that hasn't and won't be the case once the season and series wraps up. Brief moments of clarity surrounded by the bleakness and cruelty that is life. Based on how things have played out over the past two seasons, things will start to make sense for Bojack before things come crashing back down.

His play with Jill Pill will give him that momentary bit of happiness. Then he'll feel the weight of his reemerging celebrity. He'll crash hard. This time he might not recover, finding peace in the last place and time he did find some; the drug trip at the end of season 1. Bojack's last moments might just be that. He finds meaning in the random string of events that is his life and the love he wanted (or thought he wanted) with Charlotte, only to find out he never came back. Maybe he'd want it that way. Or maybe he does find that one thing that gives him more than momentary happiness and gives life meaning, only to die in the most random of ways. Herb beat cancer, but still died from his peanut allergy.

The ending of season 2 definitely gives me some hope things will work out. "It gets easier. Every day it gets a little easier. But you gotta do it every day. That's the hard part. But it does get easier." But then I remember that life is unfair and hard and doesn't always work out the way we hope it does.

I liked how the Vince thing wrapped and he was a fun character. Oddly enough, I'm half hoping that the way we view Vince is the same way Bojack does but it's not a true picture of him or reality. Like Vince is actually an adult and our view of him and the situations we hear about are somehow clouded by Bojack's cynicism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom