• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomba - Wii U Basic with Nintendoland for $300 at Best Buy

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Back on topic of marketing; I think NOA's TV advertising has been atrocious and a pretty much invisible product launch campaign. Even the original DS launch was better and more "buzz-worthy" than the Wii U efforts. Nintendo should beg Leo Burnett to take them back on as a client.

BlackJace

So are you going to sit here and try to tell me those couldn't have run on the Xbox with negligible differences? Come on man, people thought they were impressive looking for Wii games, which isn't saying much.

I just said that. I said it surprised people about what they thought the wii was capable of when EFFORT WAS PUT IN. I even said despite that, it still didn't hold a candle to what the HD twins produced.
Read.

I really don't take statements like that as meaningful. They're "halfway to understanding how to utilize it." I understand that the insinuation is that better software will come with a better understanding, but the actual number seems flimsy and meaningless. Will performance indeed come to be twice as good? How does one arrive at that figure? Where are we at in completely understanding how to optimize software for the 360?

This is a better interpretation of what Iwata is saying.

Coolwhip

Banned
Back on topic of marketing; I think NOA's TV advertising has been atrocious and a pretty much invisible product launch campaign. Even the original DS launch was better and more "buzz-worthy" than the Wii U efforts. Nintendo should beg Leo Burnett to take them back on as a client.

Its a combination of name, how the console looks and advertisement.

I'm specifically referring to the Link/Ganondorf demo.

Twilight Princess didn't look anywhere near as good as that.

I'd have to go back and double check, but have you looked at that Spaceworld demo recently? It's been several years, but how great I remembered it looking in my mind is not anywhere close to how it actually looked upon revisiting. Mind you, I haven't watched that demo or played Twilight Princess recently, but I'd venture a guess that Twilight Princess looks better than that demo.

Fox Mulder

I bought one at launch and it should have launched at that price with Nintendoland. That game is great with the family and really shows off the console well. If it takes a price drop for more people to buy one and for it to get better games, then fine.

I got one impulsively out of boredom and pretty much use it as an expensive wii and for NSMBU. 2013 looks rough and the holidays will be all about the new consoles. I do have concerns that Nintendo won't be able to keep both the 3ds and WiiU fed with enough games. They better bring some hot stuff at E3.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Nintendo seperated the two SKU's too much. Storage differences or bundles are ok, but color being tied to it and all those other extras. Not surprising that the standard isn't selling too well.

oddly enough as a casual purchaser, color is more important to me than price or features on this item.

I just said that. I said it surprised people about what they thought the wii was capable of when EFFORT WAS PUT IN. I even said despite that, it still didn't hold a candle to what the HD twins produced.
Read.
People were surprised because most Wii games looked shitty. When something on par with the OG Xbox came along people thought it looked good for a Wii game. LOL if you think that was effort on Nintendo's part.
Read.

I don't think I've seen a single Wii U commercial since launch and none of my friends knew it existed until we saw a demo unit at WalMart. Even then they thought it was just a tablet for the Wii.

What's up with Nintendo's terrible product names? I get brand recognition but Wii U? 3DS? Christ..

I made the mistake of going to BB today. Was swamped. Was going to get this deal since I got some money yesterday, but despite saying online you could get his deal instore, there was no signs or anything saying that the deal was active in the actual store. Usually I can't go 5 feet without getting bombarded by a best buy employee, but today everyone of them was busy so I just left. Didn't want to wait in that giant line just to hold up other people if the deal didn't go through.

Guess ill try online, but the entire 40 foot aisle was filled with Wii u basic sets at the bottom, and that's a little concerning to me since it looked like they didn't even move a singe unit today. The demo area had atleast 20 deluxe sets too just stacked up. They need to do a better job advertising this deal or atleast put up an indication in the store that such deal is going on. I bought the basic unit at launch and liked it a lot, got offered a price I couldn't refuse so I took the money and been regretting it ever since.

BlackJace

People were surprised because most Wii games looked shitty. When something on par with the OG Xbox came along people thought it looked good for a Wii game. LOL if you think that was effort on Nintendo's part.
Read.

Okay, this is sounding like GameFAQs drivel. If this is to continue I suggest replying with something that doesn't sound like it came from an 11 year old okay?

Too bad that's not effort, there was no significant graphical leap like we saw on the other systems as time went on. Try again buddy.

I think we're splitting hairs. I think most agreed that the two titles were impressive for being Wii games. Whether or not that translated into being regarded as a meaningful step up from the Xbox, though, is probably still up for discussion.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
With the GamePad lasting 2-3 hours on maximum brightness, the charging stand becomes pretty useless. I have mine in a box and leave the GamePad plugged in at all times.

But the cradle and stands may be useful, as well as the sensor bar outside of the US.

Sadly, this.

I wanted the charge stand, but to make it useful I'll need a second AC adapter for the gamepad. With the crap battery life I need the AC adapter to reach the sofa just in case

Okay, this is sounding like GameFAQs drivel. If this is to continue I suggest replying with something that doesn't sound like it came from an 11 year old okay?
Aww are you getting mad because I think your opinion is wrong? Put me on ignore if you can't handle a conversation. Galaxy and Prime 3 aren't graphical leaps. Look at PDZ to Gears of War to Halo 4. That's continual effort to improve, you know, PROGRESS. The Wii doesn't have that progession because of reasons I've already explained. The effort simply isn't there on the Wii because assets can be reused for cheap. Third parties aren't going to push the system either because their games sell like crap. Christ, it's not hard to comprehend.

BlackJace

No I just think it's hilarious that you'd get mad and give up so easily over the opinion of some random dude on GAF. You can have your opinion, I just think it's wrong. Very wrong.

Let me remind you what we were arguing about in the first place.

You asked me what games "showed effort" in using the little power the Wii had.

I then gave you two examples.

You then shit up the argument by saying that doesn't matter because it wasn't a "true generational leap" compared to other consoles.

We we never discussing the other consoles in the beginning of this, so I can't understand why you kept bringing them up.

DSN2K

Im also of the view the price is still too much, I cant justify spending £200+ on a wiiu, that be basic or delux. Truth is im more interested in picking up a ps3 for £120 currently. Chance to play Journey and the uncharted series appeals far more, and im a nintendo fan!! Says alot when i dont want to buy a nintendo platform for me.

demigod

Hopefully there's a pricedrop or a retailer does a giftcard before MH3 comes out. Hell if they threw in ZombiU i'd get it at $300.

Einbroch

Banned

You then shit up the argument by saying that doesn't matter because it wasn't a "true generational leap" compared to other consoles.

We we never discussing the other consoles in the beginning of this, so I can't understand why you kept bringing them up.
Moving goalposts is a popular argument tactic on GAF.

We have different opinions on what constitutes as effort

And the xbox 360 was brought up as a comparison. Not hard to understand that.

DjRoomba

Banned
Nintendo Land is a SIXTY DOLLAR GAME?

iMbTrk0EVIGKz.gif

lol nice gif, but of all the Wii U launch games its the one most worth 60 dollars. Its got quite a deceivably large amount of content

deviljho

We have different opinions on what constitutes as effort
i love WiiU threads. People are getting heated up so easily. lol
That's all you had to fucking say. Have a nice day.
Haha still got you bitter. But okay, see you around :)
Holy shit man, why do you have to have the last word?
2010-03-20-nbajam.jpg

Top Bottom