• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bombing. Wii U $245/$300 at Costco

Nintendo needs to cover there asses and revamp the system so you can use any controller you want. Sell the base system for 99 - 150 dollars and offer games that use any controller during launch, and slowly move people over to the gamepad.

Because are you are paying for is the gamepad... really...

kuroshiki

AGITΩ;47140437 said:
It's been ages since I've seen a send back to Nintendo from a retailer. But I remember when Walmart put their exclusive Blue Wii on sale on Black Friday and Nintendo responded saying that they never cleared any sale price for it, so it was all on Walmart. Couldn't Costco be doing the same thing?

It's Black Friday, so in that case the more people poured in to the retailer shop = the more people will buy useless shit along with exclusive wii = more money to Walmart at the end.

So Walmart can do that. But in this case Costco has absolutely zero incentive to do price cut and take the financial hit. So it is highly (and I'm very positive) that costco just contacted nintendo, saying 'We have too much of your shit that are not selling. We will return them all.' and nintendo responded with 'if you just do the sale we will reimburse the difference. Please don't return them to us'.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo needs to cover there asses and revamp the system so you can use any controller you want. Sell the base system for 99 - 150 dollars and offer games that use any controller during launch, and slowly move people over to the gamepad.

Because are you are paying for is the gamepad... really...

Wrong.

That said, I probably still wouldn't go for this deal if I wasn't interested in any games out for it right now,

beast786

Sneaky Nintendo. Trying to dodge my WiiU ambassador program with these under the table deals with retailers.

Nintendo....

im-watching-you.jpg

I saw someone post Wii U for $200 on Craigslist in this thread...turns out it's correct. I'm about to cop a basic set for $200 - and that's about the right price for that SKU.

Thanks, GAF!

gcubed

You heard it here first, folks. Lag free streaming to your controller which is a second screen isn't technologically impressive at all!

Clearly, the system is only worth $150, despite current generation hardware still selling for more than that.

Some of you people are real pieces of work.

... right, so we are in agreement

It is not the price, it needs games asap.

I think its both. Because even if it had more games, nothing right now would be excusive.... all the good stuff is months/years away. Why would you want to spend a bunch of money on a new console that has the games you can already play on your PS360?

If they made the price cheaper, they might sell this to those who already have a wii and who are not using PS360. Also they will be able to play their current catalog of games an use the same controllers they have now. I think they should use big excusives to start selling the gamepad and the console two seprate driving the cost down.

Well as long as devs support other controller formats... (Damn team ninja won't let you use a classic controller pro on Ninja Gaiden, only a Wii U Pro Controller. I don't get it because they are pretty much the same controller... minus the analog clicker button thing.)

I saw someone post Wii U for $200 on Craigslist in this thread...turns out it's correct. I'm about to cop a basic set for $200 - and that's about the right price for that SKU.

Thanks, GAF!

Yea that was me, I also purchased a basic for $200, just make sure its a Wiiu and not a Wii, lol, this is craigslist, I dont believe the Wii U boxes are sealed so just make sure everything is in there.

salromano

Hmm.

I really want to buy it. Considering its upcoming releases. And $50 off for the 32 GB ain't bad. But 32 GB is so little. What are the chances of Ninty coming out with a higher GB SKU sometime in the future?

It's hard to say, I guess. Considering this is the first Nintendo console to have a hard-drive.

Sandfox

Hmm.

I really want to buy it. Considering its upcoming releases. And $50 off for the 32 GB ain't bad. But 32 GB is so little. What are the chances of Ninty coming out with a higher GB SKU sometime in the future?

It's hard to say, I guess. Considering this is the first Nintendo console to have a hard-drive.

Its flash memory so I don't see that happening any time soon.

$150 and not a cent more. Drop it a bit more before Monster Hunter comes out.

Come on you can do it!

The controller more than half that amount... I only got the Wii U ( in advanced too ) for MH3 and Razors Edge... Outside of that nothing intrests me till Xenosaga 2, Windwaker HD and Smash Brothers. I was a huge fan of mario kart but mario kart 7... not sure how you can top that game for being what it is. Im probably done with the mario kart series on consoles.

Monster Hunter needs the support, if you can you should just get it. You know if it doesn't sell good Capcom will kill future US releases in a heatbeat, capcom is serious about making paper.

jwhit28

Hmm.

You can use any USB/SD memory device you have in your house with it.

DoubleTap

"Bombing"? What happened to BOMBA?

I anticipate $199 and $250 will be the price points when MS and Sony come out with theirs.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Not buying until the XL Lite version is out with a third analog stick and a bigger screen and better battery life and plays NES cartridges. $99.

WiiU will drop under $200 when next gen hardware arrives in a few months.

I wouldn't doubt you. Well so as long as they impress like I think they will. ( That is unless you don't already have a gaming PC can can't already man handle those systems ) They better have some good excusives when they are offically announced.

... right, so we are in agreement

It still is amazing that people try to argue this. It isn't as if the data is being streamed over the Internet from a distant location or anything. It's local ad hoc from 10-15 feet away, and it's 480P resolution video. The wonders of technology!

Sandfox

Or maybe people want a Wii U but don't want to pay the price it's currently at? I guess you're a fanboy if you don't want to pay full price but what do I know.

I'm talking about the people waiting for it to go down to $100-150 for the deluxe since that's just unrealistic that they have to know that.

usctrojan

Costco page says made in japan? are they really manufactured there? i guess i never looked at my Nintendo systems to check where they were made, but i always expect china (which is why my Japanese ps3 is so dear to me).

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm talking about the people waiting for it to go down to $100-150 for the deluxe since that's just unrealistic that they have to know that.

Anything is possible. While I doubt you'll be able to find one that cheap this fast, you can be sure Wii U will be on sale for $249 or less sometime this year before Xmas. Hopefully it's before MH drops.

TDLink

WiiU will drop under $200 when next gen hardware arrives in a few months.

No way does the deluxe do that. $199/$249 is the absolute lowest I could see it going for Basic/Deluxe. And honestly I think a drop to $269 is more likely for the deluxe if the 3DS price cut is anything to go by (and this would be similar). It'll also probably get a better bundle game than Nintendoland. Like NSMBU or Pikmin 3 pre-installed or something.

I wonder how these threads will be looked upon when and if Durangorbis aren't as well received as many think.

It's easy to assume the best case scenario now that we don't know anything... but I think the Wii U might be only the beginning when it comes to next gen not setting the charts aflame.

What else do you see in your magic ball?

Kazerei

Banned
It's about damn time retailers offered a discount. From the sell-in and sell-through numbers Nintendo just reported, there are too many Wii Us sitting on shelves.

Yawnier

Banned
$200 is my own sweet spot for getting any of the Wii Us skus (basic or deluxe).

Considering that I would also buy 2 - 3 games with it, that would bring the total cost of hardware and software up to $300 - $350 starting out, not that bad I guess.

Sandfox

Anything is possible. While I doubt you'll be able to find one that cheap this fast, you can be sure Wii U will be on sale for $249 or less sometime this year before Xmas. Hopefully it's before MH drops.

I honestly think Nintendo would scrap the Wii U before going that low.

It still is amazing that people try to argue this. It isn't as if the data is being streamed over the Internet from a distant location or anything. It's local ad hoc from 10-15 feet away, and it's 480P resolution video. The wonders of technology!

So, are you saying Nintendo was capable of making the system with the current specs and that technology for less money without the system being sold at a loss...

Despite the fact that at $350 it's being sold at a loss?

I don't get it. You imply that it's not a technological marvel, but the system is still being sold at a loss. So, what justifies that price point, then? "It's not next gen! Streaming technology isn't impressive!"

And as others have said, what's with this ridiculous $99 dollars shit? The Wii doesn't even retail for that unless it's black friday. Just say you aren't going to buy one. :p

Top Bottom