• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 shipments top five million in five days

Mista

Banned
borderlands-3.jpg

Today, 2K announced that Borderlands® 3, the latest entry to the renowned shooter-looter franchise, has unleashed further mayhem by achieving multiple record-setting milestones for both the series and label following its worldwide release on Friday, September 13. Within its first five days of launch, 50 percent more consumers purchased Borderlands 3 versus sales of its predecessor – Borderlands 2 – making the title the fastest-selling in 2K’s history, as well as the highest-selling title for the label on PC in a five-day window. In addition, Borderlands 3 has sold-in more than 5 million units in its first five days, leading the Borderlands franchise to generate more than $1 billion in Net Bookings and becoming the second franchise in 2K history to achieve this milestone.

David Ismailer president of 2K:
Borderlands 3’s incredibly successful launch is a result of the hard work and longstanding partnership between Gearbox Software and 2K. We are immensely grateful to everyone who played a role in making the Borderlands series the global, pop culture phenomenon that it is today, including hundreds of developers at Gearbox and many who have made this their life’s work. We also want to thank the Borderlands community. Mayhem does not happen by itself, and their passion for the series is what drives us to make each game an amazing experience.”

Oh look at that. It's almost as if this whole epic vs steam battle isn't the majority of the mainstream pc gamers and they don't give a damn through which launcher they buy the games.

Oh look at that. It's Borderlands 3, one of the most beloved franchises in the PC community. We still give a damn about store features.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Oh look at that. It's almost as if this whole epic vs steam battle isn't the majority of the mainstream pc gamers and they don't give a damn through which launcher they buy the games.
Well, no shit. Most of them wouldn't even know what you are talking about.
Doesn't make it a good news, regardless.

Dontero

Banned
I don't understand how this garbage is selling so well. Graphics are horrendous. Story is laughable. Gamplay is mediocre. Are most people just retarded trash who buy based on name recognition alone?

Graphics are actually pretty good. They are just stylized.
Story is bad but nothing like Destiny trash heap.

Gameplay is where it shines. It is just plain fun to play.

Borderlands is one of those sportslike and call of duty like games, they sell regardless just because of name.

Borderlands 2 released 7 years ago and pre-sequel didn't really sold well like BL3. Game is just fun.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
I don't understand how this garbage is selling so well. Graphics are horrendous. Story is laughable. Gamplay is mediocre. Are most people just retarded trash who buy based on name recognition alone?

Borderlands is one of those sportslike and call of duty like games, they sell regardless just because of name.

Well deserved.

Calling people retarded trash for liking a game?

Uncalled for. Thought we could have discussions like adults on here without hateful comments toward others.

Dontero

Banned
Calling people retarded trash for liking a game?
Uncalled for. Thought we could have discussions like adults on here without hateful comments toward others.

I wonder why people take to heart what people say about them online.
That is like caring what ad says about you.

I wonder why people take to heart what people say about them online.
That is like caring what ad says about you.
Oh i don't take it to heart. It is hateful and hateful posts about others are against terms of service.

But i don't really care what he said and will ignore it.

Fuck Randy Pitchford and stupid people who get mad about misgendering a fictional robot but god-damnit, this game is good! We can tell Pitchford to shut his yap and fuck off and give a big finger to the weirdos while still enjoying Borderlands 3. It is a massive improvement over Borderlands 2 in my opinion.

iorek21

I see them talking about "amazing numbers" but they never give SOLID numbers, only ambiguous crap like "WE SOLD 50% MORE THAN BL2 AT LAUNCH ON PC !!!!!!11111!!"

Well, bully for you, it's not like the PC gaming community grew extraordinarily since 2012.

This is the same situation of Metro Exodus: ambiguous numbers to justify EGS and show that nothing's wrong.

My bet is that they know that, if they released on Steam and other plataforms, numbers would be HUGE

Kagey K

Banned
This just confirms that trying to use threads like the UK boxed sales one to infer any sort of sales metrics is futile.

ferralcow

Banned
Maybe get out of this cave that is neogaf and see the world for yourself?

In this so called cave I own a certain low spec laptop so Im just trying to understand why would people buy this mess? or is this a mess???

Last edited:

desertdroog

It's a fun game. The gameplay loop is addicting, and Gearbox didn't break anything, yet added some new aspects that are a quality of life improvement. The shooting is the best it has ever been in this IP and the endgame is tuneable for any playstyle instead of just the hardcore. Getting your gear to level 50 is no longer a slog.

My only gripe: I want a dedicated pistol gunslinger class like Salvador or Nisha, and I want it heavy on Space Cowboy tropes. I want to dual wield again, I don't care if it breaks the game.

Edit: They made the melee more useful and made sniping slower. I don't like the latter and don't care one way or another regarding the former

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Maybe i’ll ask in this thread...

Why is the stock down after this news?

Numbered sequels sell initially based on how much the previous game was liked, so I guess maybe investors were expecting more based on how much people loved 2? Or they don't see 3 as having the legs of two?

Sentenza

I thought this was technicallly a garbage game?(graphical bugs, framedrops and so on?)
That's not mutually exclusive with being a sale success, for how weird it may sound.
It's still the last major sequel in an inexplicably popular franchise.

If poor quality was enough to deter success, Assassin's Creed wouldn't have reached its second title in the series.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Gaming forums doesn't even represent 5% of the players community. What you read on forums, gaming sites or whatever doesn't represent anything if we're being honest here

MMaRsu

Banned
Gaming forums doesn't even represent 5% of the players community. What you read on forums, gaming sites or whatever doesn't represent anything if we're being honest here

If you are trying to say that nobody cares about a store or launcher.. thats untrue.

Just because casuals and ppl who dont care about Epic have bought it, only max 1mil on pc is a very low number.

Borderlands series sold millions on Steam. Most are waiting to play it there so they have all Borderlands games in one platform.

Mista

Banned
If you are trying to say that nobody cares about a store or launcher.. thats untrue.

Just because casuals and ppl who dont care about Epic have bought it, only max 1mil on pc is a very low number.

Borderlands series sold millions on Steam. Most are waiting to play it there so they have all Borderlands games in one platform.
I didn’t say this. My post is very clear

MMaRsu

Banned
Just saying that discounting forums seems stupid. Ofcourse neogaf isnt important in the long haul, almost no users left here.

But community's like Reddit do matter in the grand scheme of things.

Javthusiast

Banned

This is true. Unfortunately the big companies listen to the loud twitter and reeesetera minority very often.

Mista

Banned
This is true. Unfortunately the big companies listen to the loud twitter and reeesetera minority very often.
They don’t listen to the retards too. I discovered that whatever happens in gaming communities is totally the opposite outside of it. Many supports MTX, BP, SP...etc

I once thought gaming communities represented the majority of the opinions but I figured out that it’s really not even close

sendit

Just saying that discounting forums seems stupid. Ofcourse neogaf isnt important in the long haul, almost no users left here.

But community's like Reddit do matter in the grand scheme of things.

It actually doesn’t. You’d be surprised by how many people don’t know what a “reddit” is.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
They don’t listen to the retards too. I discovered that whatever happens in gaming communities is totally the opposite outside of it. Many supports MTX, BP, SP...etc

I once thought gaming communities represented the majority of the opinions but I figured out that it’s really not even close

Casuals have always been the bigger size.

Also casuals love to buy crap.

Top Bottom