• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 won't have preloading on the EGS.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm not sure I follow on the Fallout 4 front. Recently ran through it again, modded to high hell. Installed Vortex from Nexus mods, it auto installed all my old mods I had subbed to from Steam, I queued up a bunch of new ones, it installed them for me, I click "run" and bam. No hassle. Playthrough ran about 4 weeks and not once did any update break things. You're right about the forced patching, but I haven't had a rough time with mods in forever. Granted, I only run mods on FO4, Skyrim: SE and MHW. I don't use the Bethesda store at all.

Who knows what the Gaslighter is on about tbh. The last Fallout 4 patch was April last year for context.

If he didn't want the game to update he could just have set Steam to offline mode and made sure the game was set to 'Update only when I run the game'.

Last edited:
Fallout4 is great example of that. Each patch requires new F4SE which means each patch breaks mods. And Bethesda uses patching to update their own mod store page so you have patches almost every week or two breaking your mods.

It makes no different if you have option to update game now or later. In the end your game is fucked if you use mods.

Just set it so that the game only updates if you launch it. First, launch it through Steam or the desktop, then make sure your video/audio etc options are how you want them because if you need to change something and there's been an update it will make you do it before the game launches. After you have everything the way you want it, just launch it through F4SE's launcher going forward. It will still start Steam so that Steam can check that you own the game before launching, but it won't require an update. I haven't bothered doing the last F4SE update and I'm firing it up just fine. I've also topped 400 active mods.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Just set it so that the game only updates if you launch it. First, launch it through Steam or the desktop, then make sure your video/audio etc options are how you want them because if you need to change something and there's been an update it will make you do it before the game launches. After you have everything the way you want it, just launch it through F4SE's launcher going forward. It will still start Steam so that Steam can check that you own the game before launching, but it won't require an update. I haven't bothered doing the last F4SE update and I'm firing it up just fine. I've also topped 400 active mods.

I cracked my steam games so no reason to care that much about finding out how to deal with steam updates.
It is also much safer because you don't risk at random turning on fallout 4 and nuking out your game.

Last edited:

Caffeine

i had to downgrade ffxv on steam to fix stuttering. I learned that if u open the corrisponding appmanifest file and set "StateFlags" "4" it tells the game its fully installed and updated. then set the appmanifest file to read only. it has never updated to comrades update or even the ardyn dlc update.

Top Bottom