• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Sciz

UI needs work. Basic gunplay and loot whoring is amazing. Want anti-aliasing. Haven't touched co-op yet, but I'll definitely have to track down some of TF2 GAF for it later.

Need sleep = very yes.

glaurung

God's Beard said:
Right now I'm a lvl.19 Support Gunner(team ammo regen +2 omg) w/lvl.7 sniping ability, which is pretty sweet.
Found a +10 ammo regeneration class modifier last night.

That item plus x4 incendiary 6 rocket magazine bazooka equals death to everything (that does not have fire bonuses). It's pretty much infinite ammo mode.

Shoogoo

glaurung said:
Found a +10 ammo regeneration class modifier last night.

That item plus x4 incendiary 6 rocket magazine bazooka equals death to everything (that does not have fire bonuses).

I don't know what the max is but I saw a +12 regen.

Smash88

Banned
I got the game, I couldn't resist, damn you GAF. *shakes fist* :lol

Anyways, finished my first boss, went down twice, managed to get up...somehow; beat him and his two pets. Got some awesome loot, I'm level 7 (soldier). I was wondering how do I add you guys and if we can play later today around 5-6pm (EST).

rc213

The whole + <?> & modifiers on top of the skill tree stuff is a bit confusing. Anyone care to explain or have a link handy to a explanation?

:/

I noticed an issue with missions where you have to find pieces of a weapon. If you go out of order, the mapped location of pieces don't show up for the ones you "skipped" on the list. Is there any way to solve this?

Raide

ThaiGrocer said:
I noticed an issue with missions where you have to find pieces of a weapon. If you go out of order, the mapped location of pieces don't show up for the ones you "skipped" on the list. Is there any way to solve this?

I have found the first few in random orders. Its just that the Waypoint marker is just telling you it is in this rough area. Some of them are really hidden out of the way. I think all 4 pieces spawn at the same time, though I could be wrong. :lol

Lord Phol

My enjoyment of this game is very hit or miss, at times I barely know why I continue to play and at other times I get so in to it that hours feels like minutes, and before you know it's way past bedtime.
Had a nice game with a gaffer yesterday, discovering some artifact in some ancient ruins. Can't remember his name though ><, but those are the times when the game is great.

Oh and whoever said this game is easy must have gamesharked the shit out of it, because at the moment I'm getting my ass kicked. Sure I can deal out the damage but I go down faster than a starving kid goes through a Snickers Bar. And the moth whatever its name just blasts the shit out of me D:.
Good times though!

Playing a LvL 25 Firefly Lilith (44% Ignite dmg, Diva +2, Sparks +2, Phoneix +2).
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21100000005055010300000
Very elemental based build, fun good dmg but not much for surviveability.
Got a firepistol that just spits out bullets, pretty much melts faces in nanoseconds:D , but it eats ammo like a hungry dog goes through a garbage can as well :(.

Silent Resolve doesn't seem to do much, and Radiance puts outs some really low dmg numbers from my experience. Anyone elses take on this?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can someone tell me what the red text bonuses on the guns mean ? eg I have two guns with them, one has something about "The Legend Lives on", and the other has something about "Lead".

Aaron

ThaiGrocer said:
It never shows the actual locations of the pieces on the map. Just the general area.

Swag

For some reason the FoV edits only work in single player mode, reset when I'm in Co Op whenever I Iron Sight / enter a vehicle / sprint. So annoying

Aaron said:
It never shows the actual locations of the pieces on the map. Just the general area.
That's what I thought too until I had a second encounter with this bug. First time, I was finding the four pieces of the rifle, I had to guess the final piece. It ended up being on the edge of cliff instead of near the top of a building. The waypoint for the top of the building was actually for a piece I already found. I don't think the general area would define nearly half the map. Frustrating, but not a big deal.

glaurung

Reached the
Salt Flats
yesterday and the boss fight atop the
big mining machine
brought the framerate to its knees, not to mention the textures blurring in and out every few seconds. Really appalling, since it is the first time this has happened. PS3 version.

Is there any reason to keep training the
Eridian Weapon Proficiency
? The only gun of that type that I have encountered so far is a shotgun type lightning rod that has really poor recharge rate and a stupid scatter effect. Is there any hope of finding a rifle or SMG type gun of this kind?

bathala

Banned
thank god for dumb Ai.

I was able to beat the boss at Sledge's (who is a level higher than me). The guy just stood there while I take critical shots at him :lol

Shoogoo

glaurung said:
Reached the
Salt Flats
big mining machine
brought the framerate to its knees, not to mention the textures blurring in and out every few seconds. Really appalling, since it is the first time this has happened. PS3 version.

I was there yesterday aswel, on split-screen and framerate didn't budge.

glaurung said:
Reached the
Salt Flats
big mining machine

Yea happened to me on the 360 version too. Looked pretty awesome though way up top on the highest point of the crane!

Zzoram

Raide said:
I have found the first few in random orders. Its just that the Waypoint marker is just telling you it is in this rough area. Some of them are really hidden out of the way. I think all 4 pieces spawn at the same time, though I could be wrong. :lol

You are right, gun parts for collection quests all spawn in a small area. The marker isn't always perfectly accurate.

Zzoram

bathala said:
thank god for dumb Ai.

I was able to beat the boss at Sledge's (who is a level higher than me). The guy just stood there while I take critical shots at him :lol

It seems like if you are far enough away, enemies can't spot you. I think a 4x scope is enough for that.

Uncle AJ

Help me, PC-GAF!

Even with the settings dialed down to Low on everything and running it windowed at sub-standard resolution (running at 1360x768 on my 1680x1050 monitor), I still can't achieve an fps above 30, much less one above 15 when the shit hits the fan. Which part of this setup is holding me back the most?

Windows 7 64-bit
Pentium Dual-Core E5400 @ 2.70GHz
4 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4350

It's most noticeable while dragging the mouse around in menus. Even after disabling mouse smoothing in the .ini file, I still feel like I'm dragging that pointer across sandpaper.

Chorazin

chandoog said:
Can someone tell me what the red text bonuses on the guns mean ? eg I have two guns with them, one has something about "The Legend Lives on", and the other has something about "Lead".

Some aren't even on that list yet, I got a gun with something in French about love, no idea what it does special.

Blizzard

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Game is amazing. Christ, I must sleep.
Argh, you got your problem fixed.

Honestly, NO ONE ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET has my problem? I cannot use the friends list at all, in any capacity, because GameSpy disconnects me, with or without the Windows firewall, with or without a router in the path, with or without ports forwarded, every time, when I hover over the OK button. It even pops up for a second to tell me someone's already on my list or whatever before disconnecting me. My list is always empty even though I show up on other people's lists.

Basically I don't want to play the game at all because I can't play it in co-op, which is what I bought it for. Not to mention if someone DOES get it working, I'll be level 1 and they'll be like level 20, and I don't want to just let them power-level me. :(

Also I'm guessing if some magic got it working, GameSpy would have that stupid double-add thing like UT3. At least UT3 had a button to add friends back when they request you. Is this game where you click OK to confirm a friend request, and then you have to manually type in their name to add them as well?

TheFallen

glaurung said:
Is there any reason to keep training the
Eridian Weapon Proficiency
? The only gun of that type that I have encountered so far is a shotgun type lightning rod that has really poor recharge rate and a stupid scatter effect. Is there any hope of finding a rifle or SMG type gun of this kind?
The proficiency improves the recharge rate, so yea it's useful if you find a good Eridian weapon. Chances are you may not. I've seen a good dozen or so, but nothing all that spectacular. Though there was one was a rocket launcher type weapon that did some insane damage but far too slow projectiles.

Anyone still looking for a Steam copy of the game? One of my friends backed out of our 4-pack, so I have an extra code.

edit: sold to archnemesis

Lord Phol

Jonsoncao said:
oh shiat

I accidentally sold several Pearlescent weaponz alreaday! FML... :lol

BorderlandsWiki said:
White < Green < Blue < Purple < Yellow < Orange < Dark Orange < Pearlescent
200px-Guncolorrarity.jpg

Oh I kind of felt Purples were to common for being just a step away from rarest, guess that's because there's actually 4 color codes of rarity after it that I didn't even know of (except orange ofc) :eek:.

Also noticed that the economy-system is a bit bonked yesterday, when I bought an upgraded version of my FireFly Classmod. The Only difference being that it had +2 in Phoenix +2 Diva (instead of +1 and 0), was purple and had 650 in it's name instead of 640. And yet the worse blue one sold for about 10k more than the purple (when sold back to the store), not that I complain :p.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blizzard said:

Honestly, NO ONE ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET has my problem? I cannot use the friends list at all, in any capacity, because GameSpy disconnects me, with or without the Windows firewall, with or without a router in the path, with or without ports forwarded, every time, when I hover over the OK button. It even pops up for a second to tell me someone's already on my list or whatever before disconnecting me. My list is always empty even though I show up on other people's lists.

Basically I don't want to play the game at all because I can't play it in co-op, which is what I bought it for. Not to mention if someone DOES get it working, I'll be level 1 and they'll be like level 20, and I don't want to just let them power-level me. :(

Also I'm guessing if some magic got it working, GameSpy would have that stupid double-add thing like UT3. At least UT3 had a button to add friends back when they request you. Is this game where you click OK to confirm a friend request, and then you have to manually type in their name to add them as well?

Don't give up hope, Blizzard! I haven't encountered that, though. Usually you don't have to both add each other to both show up on each other's friends' lists.

I will happily start my siren when you are able to join us online. :-[

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Gooooood damn man.

Been playing this with a pair of my friends and everytime we get sucked into a timewarp, completely unaware of what time it is in the real world cause all the quest stuff just keeps you driving forward.

We're all level 28-29 now and we just killed Krom, so I'm guessing we'll probably be mid to high 30's by the time we finish our first playthrough (no clue how far into the game we are right now, wouldn't mind if someone let me know. I believe our progress is listed at 60 something percent. We're doing every single side quest before we do the story quests so our first playthrough should be a 100%

CHRIST IS THIS FUN!

Raide

RubxQub said:
Been playing this with a pair of my friends and everytime we get sucked into a timewarp, completely unaware of what time it is in the real world cause all the quest stuff just keeps you driving forward.

This.

Despite the game having a few annoying little issues, the time-sink ability is a hallmark of a great Loot-whore game. :D

bengraven

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. My copy was delivered to the wrong address? Come on you bastards. If it gets here after the weekend, Borderlands can kiss my ass for a few months until I'm done with DA.

So this game is pretty awesome, eh? Seems universally lauded here, which is a great sign. I was considering waiting to pick it up at Christmas time but I may just need to take a little money out of my emergency cash fund.

What a great game. I was iffy on it when it first showed up, but its soooo great. I think ill try some multiplayer tonight. Its one of the few games that makes my graphics cards wind up too.

RubxQub

Raide said:
This.

Despite the game having a few annoying little issues, the time-sink ability is a hallmark of a great Loot-whore game. :D
I love how the loot-whorey-ness of the game is starting to create evil amongst my friends and I.

We'll be in the middle of a big firefight and taking flanking positions and all of a sudden I'll see the text "XXXX opens a chest" "XXXX picks up some purple" "XXXX picks up some blue" and immediately I'm like "What the hell were those things? Any good?"

My friend got this absolutely SICK revolver, like 400+ base damage with a scope and increased reload time (my rocket launcher does 550 or so to give you an idea of how that compares to our other weaponry), and he wasn't even going to mention it until I asked him what the hell he picked up :lol

Evil...

We all have an understanding that certain members specialize in certain things: hunter gets dibs on snipes and revolvers, solder gets dibs on combat rifles and revolvers, I get dibs on shotties, rockets and SMGs...but there are those odd times when something drops and everyone has an interest in it and we're getting less and less willing to just let our preciouses fall into the hands of our friends.

Heaven forbid an amazing orange revolver drops. Chaos would ensue.

RubxQub said:
I love how the loot-whorey-ness of the game is starting to create evil amongst my friends and I.

We'll be in the middle of a big firefight and taking flanking positions and all of a sudden I'll see the text "XXXX opens a chest" "XXXX picks up some purple" "XXXX picks up some blue" and immediately I'm like "What the hell were those things? Any good?"

My friend got this absolutely SICK revolver, like 400+ base damage with a scope and increased reload time (my rocket launcher does 550 or so to give you an idea of how that compares to our other weaponry), and he wasn't even going to mention it until I asked him what the hell he picked up :lol

Evil...

We all have an understanding that certain members specialize in certain things: hunter gets dibs on snipes and revolvers, solder gets dibs on combat rifles and revolvers, I get dibs on shotties, rockets and SMGs...but there are those odd times when something drops and everyone has an interest in it and we're getting less and less willing to just let our preciouses fall into the hands of our friends.

Heaven forbid an amazing orange revolver drops. Chaos would ensue.

Is it easy to find groups? I enjoy loot whore games but was disappointed with lack of emphasis on grouping in Too Human, and was hoping that grouping is easy and fun.

RubxQub

funkmastergeneral said:
Is it easy to find groups? I enjoy loot whore games but was disappointed with lack of emphasis on grouping in Too Human, and was hoping that grouping is easy and fun.
I've only been playing with my RL friends, so I couldn't really say. I'm sure if you signed up on the GAF Borderlands friend's list thing you could find some good folks to play with, though.

derder

Mo the Hawk said:
Help me, PC-GAF!

Even with the settings dialed down to Low on everything and running it windowed at sub-standard resolution (running at 1360x768 on my 1680x1050 monitor), I still can't achieve an fps above 30, much less one above 15 when the shit hits the fan. Which part of this setup is holding me back the most?

Windows 7 64-bit
Pentium Dual-Core E5400 @ 2.70GHz
4 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4350
Your videocard. Get the ATI 5750.

This PC version is a clusterfuck of poor implementation. Gamespy? Really? Is this 1994?

The game is badass, but I have a feeling that the average joe pc gamer is being thrown for a loop atm.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard said:

Hey, bud! If you wanna get a game together. Lemme know. I don't mind starting at lvl 1 again for ya. Learned a lot playing to lvl 20 so it should be a breeze getting back up there

gamespy madoushi0

Top Bottom