• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! E3 Previews, Gameplay, and Low-Grav Shenanigans

GamerSoul

The playable characters :)
BLPS_E3_VaultHunters.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

Nisha the Lawbringer, Wilhelm the Enforcer, Claptrap the Fragtrap, and last but not least Athena the Gladiator.

Releasing on October 14 in America and October 17 for the rest of the world

They're all some bad-asses if you didn't know already.

The videos may get a little redundant since they're from different media outlets with different audiences so you can pick and choose.

IGN Preview with Gameplay Demo (confirms no slag)

Kotaku Preview with Gameplay (with no commentary)

Spike TV's Preview

Preview from Escapist News

Rev3Games Interview (A very nice interview with solid info, imo)

On the topic of Oxygen. From Polygon.

"We don't want to penalize the player for not having air, but we do want to create a meaningful decision on how you use oxygen," Lopez said. "We don't want to screw you over completely for trying out new things."

Bouncing around Pandora's moon gave me the chance to test this theory for myself. As Athena, I launched myself gleefully into the air, taking advantage of the low-gravity setting to double jump, soar over enemies and bound across huge chasms while my O2 levels steadily depleted. When I reached the bottom of the can — which took a fair amount of goofing around — Athena started to choke and sputter. My super human-like abilities were gone and my health was draining, but it was almost effortless to scurry to the nearest dome or air-leaking vent to recharge both my oxygen and health.

"We don't want you to ever feel like we're trying to punish you for being in low atmosphere area," Lopez explained as my health steadily rose. "We have to show you that the world is dangerous in that you can die, but we also don't want to punish you for essentially being weak (low leveled)."

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/10/57...e-sequel-offers-a-low-gravity-thrills-without

From Another IGN Preview on Wilhem and Athena
Wilhelm, who you might remember as the massive power-loader boss from Borderlands 2 can deploy a pair of flying drones named Wolf and Saint, and his skill trees allow him to focus on one or the other, or even cybernetically enhance his body. My favorite was Athena’s Cerulean Storm tree though, which relied heavily on proccing elemental effects to generate stacks of a buff called maelstrom. The more maelstrom stack accrued, the more powerful certain skills become, like one that causes a huge lightning storm wherever you throw Athena’s Aspis shield. Building and maintaining maelstrom is dependant on both your gear choices, and maintaining a particular style of play - exactly the integration of choice and action that makes building an RPG character rewarding for me.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/10/whatas-old-is-new-again-in-borderlands-the-pre-sequel

If you're ok with spoiling yourself to some of the skill trees. :p (brought to you by Dank Rafft from the BL:TPS forums. thanks to JeffSK also for providing some of the links in one place)
Athena's Xiphos Branch
Wilhelm's Hunter-Killer Branch

Derp

I'm only buying it because it was developed by Australians, in Australia.

We did something, guys. Let me have this moment. I pray that the game is infested with Aussie accents and references <3

KAP151

We did something, guys. Let me have this moment. I pray that the game is infested with Aussie accents and references <3

Can already hear some of them on the vids.

At least they wont be as bad as the Australian accents in Dead Island Riptide.

GamerSoul

I forgot how fast Gaf moves around this time.

hah, Well the whole moon is Australian so there's something to look forward to. Should be interesting.

Still don't like the oxygen thing. Could turn the game into a chore.

They've addressed this issue many times. We shall see how it turns out but im optimistic.

I honestly cannot get hyped for this game, even though I loved BL2.

I'll be hyped for you bro. :]

BigDug13

Still don't like the oxygen thing. Could turn the game into a chore.

It's a bit tactical though since you also get to use the oxygen to glide further like a jet pack. And can even propel yourself downward to do a diving attack. I'll take the resource management if it means I get jetpacks and diving attacks.

Derp

hah, Well the whole moon is Australian so there's something to look forward to. Should be interesting.
Holy shit you're right. They said it in one the gameplay videos. They said they turned it into Australia with how much they influenced the world.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG. MAKE ME PROUD, 2K AUSTRALIA!!! THIS IS OUR MOMENT.

GamerSoul

Holy shit you're right. They said it in one the gameplay videos. They said they turned it into Australia with how much they influenced the world.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG. MAKE ME PROUD, 2K AUSTRALIA!!! THIS IS OUR MOMENT.

lol so far I'm impressed with what they have done with Gearbox. Dat Cryo element.

WHY you say? From Wiki

CL4P-TP General Purpose Robots, more commonly known as Claptraps are Hyperion manufactured work robots

Also claptrap can be defined as: noun
absurd or nonsensical talk or ideas.

He talks alot and can be annoying depending on who you ask so there you have it.

edit: in case you were asking why is he playable? I dunno. lol

GamerSoul

Will play through
co-op, like five times

Better come with a conference call/bee shield
Same. I will likely play with 3/4 of the characters since they all are interesting, imo. And I'd aslo like to see some favorites return.

I feel like I should care about this game but without a Siren to play as I'm having trouble caring.

I've played as a Siren most of the time in BL1/BL2 but I think we'll find some comfort in the others. Athena like be my first choice in TPS.

bebop242

I'm personally hoping this is part of a pack in black Friday bundle like Arkham Origins was last year.

That's prob the only way I'd buy it.

The impression I got from the air / low grav mechanics shown in the gameplay video was that they were intended to let the player operate in a more wild/freeform manner, and was not some kind of ticking nanny bar like a RPG food/water mechanic. Penalties for not having air are small and air is plentiful. The upside is that you get to fly around and do acrobatics that reminds me of Tribes (but much more muted in that game) and the levels are no longer purely corridor affairs.

The real question is if they decided to sit down and rethink level-cap gear grinding. The DLCs for BL2 moved the bar somewhat in this regard but it still felt like a lot of the core item/reward design hadn't learned the lessons of Diablo 2, much less the ideas from contemporary loot games.

GamerSoul

Lol how would that whole system even work with ClapTrap and a fully robotic Wilhelm?

heh, yea it's been speculated that Claptrap may not use O2 in the same fashion as the others so it will be interesting to see how he makes use of the O2. IIRC, his point of view camera will also be closer to the ground since he's shorter.

The impression I got from the air / low grav mechanics shown in the gameplay video was that they were intended to let the player operate in a more wild/freeform manner, and was not some kind of ticking nanny bar like a RPG food/water mechanic. Penalties for not having air are small and air is plentiful. The upside is that you get to fly around and do acrobatics that reminds me of Tribes (but much more muted in that game) and the levels are no longer purely corridor affairs.

The real question is if they decided to sit down and rethink level-cap gear grinding. The DLCs for BL2 moved the bar somewhat in this regard but it still felt like a lot of the core item/reward design hadn't learned the lessons of Diablo 2, much less the ideas from contemporary loot games.

I agree with you about the air and low gravity. From all the videos I've watched, I've seen are a variety of ways to get oxygen without really missing a beat. I think Joel mentioned the addition of verticality in the game. I'll try to find it.

And that is a good question. Many folks at the official forums have also brought this up so hopefully Gearbox/2k have some ideas for the level cap and gear.

Top Bottom