• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought a used XBox One, it's loaded with games already.

Allforce

Just booted it up for the first time and it went right to the dashboard, with a prompt to Sign In in the upper left. I have a Live account but before I went to that I went to "My Games" tab...

It has Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, Call of Duty, Halo Assault, and PvZ Garden Warfare already installed. Whut!?

Will logging into my Live account delete these games or deny me access? If so I'm just gonna stay signed out and play through this stuff while I have it. Or is this a situation of games "tied to a Live account and tied to a console"?

Don't take this as fact but if it is like the 360 it should be whichever console you first purchased them on it will play under any account. Although if they are disc installs obviously you would need to insert a disc.

Corpekata

Banned
Sounds to me like whoever you bought it from forgot to factory reset it and you're just autologged into his account.

Content is linked to both console and account. As the previous onwer didn't do a factory reset, you should be able to access those games even if logged in with your account.

Remark

Banned
Sounds to me like whoever you bought it from forgot to factory reset it and you're just autologged into his account.

I don't think so. He said right before he signed in so it could just be stuff already on the hard drive just not deleted.

Allforce

No they definitely removed their login, I have a "Sign In' prompt in the upper left and clicking that asks me to "Add New" or Close. There is no profile from the previous owner to choose.

That Xbox is set as his "home Xbox", it's an option in your account settings, each account has one home xbox
You don't have access to his account, but you'll be able to play those games until he sets a new Xbox as his home one.

GavinBT

Neo Member
I think you should be able to play all those on your account.
But just to be safe send it to me so I can check it.

I bet those games aren't bought digitally.

Physical Disc show up the same as Digital Games on the console, and it isn't until you try to play the game that it'll prompt you to install the disc.

But, if they were bought digitally, congrats.

Did you actually try to play? He could have them installed but if they are the disc versions then you wont be able to play.

Edit: Beaten

Edit 2: Did you buy it directly from someone or from a store like GameStop?

No they definitely removed their login, I have a "Sign In' prompt in the upper left and clicking that asks me to "Add New" or Close. There is no profile from the previous owner to choose.

Ah, okay. The console in question is set as the previous owners home console. You'll be able to access those games until s/he buys a new X1 and set that one as their new home console.

Basically, free games!!! Enjoy them while you have access, whuch might be for quite some time as the previous owner is unlikely to buy a new one any time soon.

People are like that. I bought a used PS3 that had Disk Drive problems to mix and match parts and from my YLOD PS3, and the guy had left his user and all the games he owned on the console. The games were crap, so I ended up deleting the profile and doing a wipe, but some people are negligent and fail to secure their stuff before selling it. Heck, the guy even had a couple of bucks on his PSN account I could have spent if I was an ass.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The only way you get to keep those games is if the guy who sold it forgets to set his new xbox as his home xbox.

Pray he forgets.

Allforce

I bet those games aren't bought digitally.

Physical Disc show up the same as Digital Games on the console, and it isn't until you try to play the game that it'll prompt you to install the disc.

But, if they were bought digitally, congrats.

Tried Dead Rising, gave me a "if you have a game disc, insert it now. Otherwise make sure the person who bought this is signed into Live and then choose Finish"

I still have not logged into my own personal Live account yet, so this is all from an unsigned-in state.

Other games like COD have a small icon of a controller with a plus over it in the upper right corner of the tile, unsure of what that is.

Lima

Tried Dead Rising, gave me a "if you have a game disc, insert it now. Otherwise make sure the person who bought this is signed into Live and then choose Finish"

I still have not logged into my own personal Live account yet, so this is all from an unsigned-in state.

Other games like COD have a small icon of a controller with a plus over it in the upper right corner of the tile, unsure of what that is.

That means it's a disc install. Need the disc to play.

The controller with plus sign means that there is DLC installed for that game.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Aaa aha, if they're disc installs then you got nothing.

Allforce

KI seems to work, Call of Duty boots up and asks "Do you own this game or app?".

Will signing into my own Live account remove the option to access this stuff?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
KI seems to work, Call of Duty boots up and asks "Do you own this game or app?".

Will signing into my own Live account remove the option to access this stuff?

No. Anything he bought digitally you will be able to play until he sets another console as his home console. I have 2 Xbox Ones and the one in the bedroom is set as my home console so anyone can play any of my games on that Xbox while I can be on my other Xbox and play the same games while logged in to Xbox Live. We can even play on Live at the same time with only one purchased game so he would never even know.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Probably worth getting over it and just signing in. The process of signing in won't delete anything.

Even if it did, sounds like you can't load things up anyway. If you're intending on getting any of those games, you may as well leave them installed, you won't need to go through the process later at least.

Bungie

When the previous owner had the Xbox One, he set his account to have that Xbox as his home Xbox. What that does is share everything he has downloaded to anyone on that Xbox & his gold. Even if his account is removed that Xbox is still the home Xbox for his account & should continue sharing.

EDIT: Sorta beaten.

Allforce

Ok signed in to my account, seems this guy bought KI (basic pack, all the characters are unlocked), and Halo Assault (this is completely playable). Garden Warfare asks for a disc or shoots me to the Store to pay, I thought this was a digital-only title but oh well.

Not a bad little bonus, KI was one of the reasons I wanted the system so that's nice.

Is there anything else I should look under for apps or games tied to the console?

As others said, it's his home console so you can access any digital content on it. Anything that was disc based won't work but yes you are free to use KI to your hearts content

EvB

Aren't some of those likely to be disc installs?

Make sure to go and get the free games with gold games for yourself.

Top Bottom