• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bowser and Donkey Kong Skylanders revealed - E3 2015

Effect

Nintendo and Activision just revealed Skylander versions of Bowser and Donkey Kong for Skylanders Superchargers. Full figures and vehicles. For Nintendo platforms only of course.

CHomIneWoAIRDtP.jpg

CHomVJoWIAEBYd6.jpg

They will both function as Amiibo as well.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty cute idea. Seems like something they should've done with Trap Team.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The Digital Event was awful, but those two Skylander Amiibo will be mine.
so far it seems that the DK one will be sold in the Wii U starter pack, while the Bowser one will be sold in the 3DS/Wii starter packs. Hopefully, they will also be available separately: I'm planning to grab the Wii U one, so I hope to see Bowser standalone.

WiiU version it is then, as you'll be able to actually walk into a store and pick them up.

Nintendo, please note how Activision do this.

My little boy has been asking for skylanders the last couple of years, I said no, we've been buying amiibo this year (quite a few but not obsessively), I'm gonna have to buy him this year's skylanders aren't I?

so far it seems that the DK one will be sold in the Wii U starter pack, while the Bowser one will be sold in the 3DS/Wii starter packs. Hopefully, they will also be available separately: I'm planning to grab the Wii U one, so I hope to see Bowser standalone.

I hope so too man, I'm in the same boat and don't really want to have to buy the 3ds game, got no real use for a kart racer on it. I am 99% sure the press release describes them as being exclusive sold in starter packs though so won't be holding my breath :(

Klart

I hope so too man, I'm in the same boat and don't really want to have to buy the 3ds game, got no real use for a kart racer on it. I am 99% sure the press release describes them as being exclusive sold in starter packs though so won't be holding my breath :(

It's not a kart racer.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm surprised it took this long for Nintendo to do a collab with Skylanders, given how weighted the first ones were toward Wii owners.

Hell, if they would have used that avenue to dip their toe into the Toys-to-Life thing before amiibos, the undoubtedly greater sales of their characters' figures could have been a really persuasive argument in convincing retailers to give amiibos more shelf space initially, and more shelf space would have really wiped away a lot of the supply issues they've had. If Wal-mart and Best Buy have two 4-foot amiibo sections off the bat in every store instead of one, suddenly Wal-mart and Best Buy are ordering every character that releases instead of picking and choosing based on the limited space they have. That would have been a huge boon to the supply chain.

Ridley327

DK expanding into other games.

And wow, they are still making a Wii version?

It and the 360 versions are the best-selling SKUs in previous installments. That will likely change this year, but they've got the numbers to support at least one more game on the platform.

Lan_97

Stealth Elf being jammed in every starter set is incredibly annoying, especially with the addition of the Nintendo starters. Now I'm looking at a starter for PS4, Wii U, and 3DS. Both Swap Force and Trap Team were good about this by providing completely different figures in the console/3DS bundles.

It's not a kart racer.

What is it then? That quote you used was in reference to buying the 3ds version to get Bowser remember. So far the only difference I thought they'd made us privy to was the 3ds and wii was the "racing" subtitle they've added to those version, and that they wouldn't be the same as the main console versions, but a "complimentary" experience.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm surprised it took this long for Nintendo to do a collab with Skylanders, given how weighted the first ones were toward Wii owners.

actually, last year there was a collaboration/promotion too: buying the Wii packed version you obtained a free Wii U DD code (made to push the transition from Wii to Wii U hardware). a parent could have upgraded the "family hardware" keeping intact all the Skylander trap team investment.

of course, this year is way more prominent. I have yet to find a way to get the Bowser figure without buying also the 3DS game..!

Kinsei

Banned

Same here. While I'm happy DK is in the Wii U pack since he's the one I want more, I still really want Bowser.

Dee Dee

I don't get the character choices at all. Bad enough that Game Freak doesn't approve of doing anything worthwhile with the Pokemon amiibos, but why use Bowser and Donkey Kong instead of Mario and Link, or the Villager and Kirby? Isn't this for kids?

My guess is there will be a Mario Skymiibo some time later, after crazy collectors stop buying the shitty first wave. There better be.

Top Bottom