• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Thread

He is #1 at that weight, Usyk at hw resume wise isnt as good.
Nah his resume based on current form is in tatters. Luckily he has the recent win over Whyte otherwise it would look dire.

If we're judging based on resume well Joshua's is soooo much better than Furys now. Seeing
that Usyk has beaten Joshua twice already well you have rank it

1. Usyk
2. Joshua
3. Fury.

Putting Fury at 1 based on his Wilders wins never made any sense considering who the hell has wilder beat?

Well now we no why. Wilder was only a ever a top 10 fighter pretending to be a Top 3.

If Furys wants to be number 1 he has to beat the number 1.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Question for GAF's resident boxers.

How did it take for you to not close your eyes while recieving a (blocked) punch and be able to keep looking?

Last edited:

Mesousa

Banned
Why not Joshua and Wilder? 2 has beens would be more interesting than this.
Wilder has 0 draw factor now, and Joshua can still compete for a belt again with a solid run.

With this fight we are going to see what Ngannou is all about as a boxer though. Fury clearly didnt take that fight serious, and paid for it. Joshua wont make that mistake, and it will be interesting to see how Francis does with a boxer who didnt spend most of training camp eating and snorting nose candy.

Anyone really believe Callum Smith has a chance tonight??

I think Beterbiev runs him over. Only thing that might undo him is age.

Gotta say this narrative about Smiths "POWER" is laughable. Beterbievs been in with Usyk and Michael Hunter in the amateurs. Smiths "POWER" is nothing he hasn't seen before.

DJ12

Lol that's ridiculous! He really does seem to have crazy power with just arm arms shots!
I'm amazed he isn't made to shave his beard. A bushy beard like that reduces the force of punches (I've googled)

Bet Yarde would've had him on his arse clean shaven, not that he would've won.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man, I've been looking for a boxing thread for a while and went into the community section and didn't find it. Good to see that there's one here. Course. We have the big fight coming next month with a heavyweights. And that h
Joshua Ngannu fight is on, that is actually a much more.
And a fat overweight Tyson Fury that didn't take a match against Francis very seriously. I expect a much better fury against Usyk

MaestroMike

Gold Member

DJ12

Ok well I hope there are no more delays.
The way fury got clocked by a lefty using his favoured tactic of hold the other guy behind his head while hitting him was pure karma.

Should they ever fight, Fury is in for a very tough night against Usyk.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The way fury got clocked by a lefty using his favoured tactic of hold the other guy behind his head while hitting him was pure karma.

Should they ever fight, Fury is in for a very tough night against Usyk.
I hope so. I like fury but I think he has gotten too cocky

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Anyone catch this one? Isaac Cruz could not have a more apt nickname than "pitbull". Guy just comes forward and attacks. He is fearless and relentless. No wonder Davis doesn't want to give him a rematch.

RedC

Anyone catch this one? Isaac Cruz could not have a more apt nickname than "pitbull". Guy just comes forward and attacks. He is fearless and relentless. No wonder Davis doesn't want to give him a rematch.

Davis already beat him. What purpose would a rematch serve?

RedC

You afraid Davis will lose this time? That's the difference between Mexican boxers and other boxers. Mexicans aren't afraid to lose.
As opposed to what other boxers aren't afraid to lose? My point is there would be no reason for Davis to fight him after he's already beaten him and there isn't any other incentive to rematch him as of yet. Plus there are much bigger names and fights within 135 -140 lbs from Vasilly Lomachenko, Shakur Stevenson, Devin Haney, Teofimo Lopez, etc... for Davis to fight.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
As opposed to what other boxers aren't afraid to lose? My point is there would be no reason for Davis to fight him after he's already beaten him and there isn't any other incentive to rematch him as of yet. Plus there are much bigger names and fights within 135 -140 lbs from Vasilly Lomachenko, Shakur Stevenson, Devin Haney, Teofimo Lopez, etc... for Davis to fight.
Davis daddy was afraid to lose that's why he wouldn't fight boxers who were in their prime but yeah id like to see him fight Lomachenko or Shakur.

Last edited:

RedC

Davis daddy was afraid to lose that's why he wouldn't fight boxers who were in their prime.
He didn't fight Isaac Cruz in his prime? Ryan Garcia? Rolly Romero?
Davis daddy was afraid to lose that's why he wouldn't fight boxers who were in their prime but yeah id like to see him fight Lomachenko or Shakur.
Well, Lomachenko is definitely out of his prime but still an elite lightweight, and I don't blame Davis's team for avoiding Shakur Stevenson. LOL

Last edited:

RedC

I wasnt talking about Davis I was talking about his Daddy that's neither here nor there though. I think Lomachenko was robbed vs Haney.
I respectfully disagree that Lomachenko was robbed vs Haney. I thought at worst it was a draw, but Haney overall won more rounds than Lomachenko. I think people misuse the term robbed in a close and competitive fight.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I respectfully disagree that Lomachenko was robbed vs Haney. I thought at worst it was a draw, but Haney overall won more rounds than Lomachenko. I think people misuse the term robbed in a close and competitive fight.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. Lomachenko controlled the fight I don't see how it was a draw.

RedC

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Lomachenko controlled the fight I don't see how it was a draw.
No way Lomachenko controlled the majority of the fight. Now bear in mind, that's based on what I remember when I watched it live which is vague now especially after I've spent almost 40 years watching boxing matches.

Not even 30 seconds into the round and maroon shorts already got jelly legs. Fight should have been stopped a bit sooner as that guy wasn't even holding up his gloves to protect himself anymore.

RedC

Yeah, I'm no psychiatrist but going by his interviews he's got mental health issues. I'm glad he beat pillow hands Haney though.
Going into the fight, I was convinced Haney would perform a boxing clinic on Garcia so dominant, the ref, Garcia's corner, or Garcia himself would stop the fight.

Watching the fight in real-time and seeing how effectively Garcia could land his left hook when he threw them in a flurry of punches, and how much damage they had on Haney anytime they landed, the fight shouldn't have been close and Garcia should've knocked out Haney.

Hopefully, Derrek James can address this with Garcia and get consistent punch output per round.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Watching the fight in real-time and seeing how effectively Garcia could land his left hook when he threw them in a flurry of punches, and how much damage they had on Haney anytime they landed, the fight shouldn't have been close and Garcia should've knocked out Haney.
How much do you think the ref bet on Haney? He clearly saved pillowhands from a knockout.

Last edited:

RedC

How much do you think the ref bet on Haney? He clearly saved pillowhands from a knockout.
I thought the ref did the best he could given how messy it was with all the holding and Garcia continuing doing this weird shoulder roll where he would lean so far and have his back toward Haney to be hit. A fair criticism was he would break them up too soon instead of allowing them to fight on the inside.

However, the frustrating thing about Garcia is how many athletic gifts he has with his height, arm length, hand speed, and power, if he can just keep it together mentally and concentrate on trying to win every round, he would be an even greater force where it didn't matter about the ref's performance.

Instead, Garcia would give rounds away by not throwing many punches, including the last round, and was stupidly showboating when it was still a close fight, despite knocking Haney down 3 times.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I thought the ref did the best he could given how messy it was with all the holding and Garcia continuing doing this weird shoulder roll where he would lean so far and have his back toward Haney to be hit. A fair criticism was he would break them up too soon instead of allowing them to fight on the inside.

However, the frustrating thing about Garcia is how many athletic gifts he has with his height, arm length, hand speed, and power, if he can just keep it together mentally and concentrate on trying to win every round, he would be an even greater force where it didn't matter about the ref's performance.

Instead, Garcia would give rounds away by not throwing many punches, including the last round, and was stupidly showboating when it was still a close fight, despite knocking Haney down 3 times.
I think Garcia is going to crash and burn due to his mental health we'll see how far he can get before that happens.

Top Bottom