• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BRÜTAL LEGEND official thread of umlauts and schaferian awesomeness

Bebpo

Banned
The 360 version has tearing and framedrops too.

The main difference is the X360 version doesn't have the sound problem that the PS3 does.

Ataturk

Just finished it, fantastic game. I loved the RTS parts, it's a bit shallow maybe, but it's a very fresh approach to that style of gameplay. Surveying the battlefield from above and wading in for a facemelter etc. was really cool. My only real criticism was that it was too short, I didn't bother with too many side missions. Personally I prefer it to Psychonauts.

conman

Bebpo said:
The 360 version has tearing and framedrops too.

The main difference is the X360 version doesn't have the sound problem that the PS3 does.
Yeah, I've been playing with headphones on, and god does it sound like a muddy piece of junk. Which is a terrible shame considering how good the voice work and soundtrack are.

Kolgar

Just finished after a long break, having been stuck on the second-to-last RTS battle for an eternity. Wow, I'm glad I came back to see the end.

I generally don't like collectathons, but I spent a good amount of time finding serpents and vistas and doing side-missions. The game world was scenic and varied and oftentimes beautiful, and of course its metal-soaked atmosphere made for a very compelling stay.

Some of the scenes toward the end of the game looked downright gorgeous; I had no right to expect graphics as good as these in a game like this.

While it took me a long while to warm to the RTS elements, things finally started to click with me over the past couple of days. Now I can handle myself quite capably and I may even replay the game's main missions sometime just to experience the story without the drag of my earlier frustration.

I also give a nod to the clever writing and back-story, and I thought the vocal performances were fun and engaging across the board.

All in all, Brutal Legend came through for me. Like others have said, it's one of the first games where I had fun just tooling around the game world for hours on end, and that was a nice surprise.

Glad you loved it, more people really should pick it up now it is for a budget price. Although the game is not suited for everyone, you can really have a blast if it is.

conman

Absolutely worth it just to blast through the story missions at the very least. Such an inventive and imaginative game. And, god, I loved so much of that soundtrack. Serious nostalgia for the old days of metal.

I can only imagine how the publishing drama surrounding this game during its development impacted the final product (in terms of its technical issues). Hopefully Double-Fine won't have to deal with that BS for their next game.

Aselith

Is the PS3 port of this of a good quality? No problems with framerates and whatnot? I got it in a bargain bin today and just wanted to make sure it isn't totally fubared before I open it.

Aselith said:
Is the PS3 port of this of a good quality? No problems with framerates and whatnot? I got it in a bargain bin today and just wanted to make sure it isn't totally fubared before I open it.

I didn't have any problems with it.

Aselith

AceBandage said:
I didn't have any problems with it.

Cool. I knew there were a small minority of the ports that had issues and wanted to make sure this wasn't one of them. I thought maybe I had heard something about issues at some point but I was thinking I had it confused with Bayonetta.

Anyways, I found this for $10 in the bargain bin at Toys r Us. If anyone is still interested in buying it, you might check your local store. I also picked up a copy of Prinny: Can I be the hero? for PSP for the same price. Seemed like the had a couple more good deals in there like the Saboteur and a few other decent games.

hayguyz

Banned
Bought this for $8 on Amazon for 360. Except I don't have 360 yet. I noticed, however, that everything on the case is English and French.

Is every case like this? Or did I get a Canadian version?
Do Canadian games work perfectly on American consoles?
Will the game also have options for French or is it just the case/manual?

Whoa, I also just bought this game for like 10 bucks Canadian at the Blockbuster Video closing sale

And yes, you got a Canadian version, it'll work on North American 360s

hayguyz

Banned
Okay, sounds good. At first I was a little upset to have the case defiled with French.

Can anyone help me out with my other questions?

Trenched inspired me to give this another shot. I abandoned it after about an hour at launch for some reason (probably Uncharted 2), and never went back.

I'm so glad I did. The game is a fucking delight. What an incredibly cohesively realized production. Art style, characterization, sound design, everything.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
bluedeviltron said:
What an incredibly cohesively realized production. Art style, characterization, sound design, everything.
It gets more rushed and painfully (not to play, just to wish what could have been) unfinished as you go along, but yeah. Just incredibly easy to love, wonderfully underwritten, and one of my favourite games of the generation by a long shot.

bluedeviltron said:
I'm so glad I did. The game is a fucking delight. What an incredibly cohesively realized production. Art style, characterization, sound design, everything.

I picked this up for $5 this past week at Best Buy and it's quite the steal. While I can't see myself playing through it more than once just because I have a ton of stuff to play right now, it's a great game. The variety in the gameplay is great, and as you mentioned, the production is top notch. Great voice acting, great animation, great music, everything. The world itself is interesting and very well done. It's almost like playing an adult Pixar movie in a way.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
ToyMachine228 said:
I picked this up for $5 this past week at Best Buy and it's quite the steal. While I can't see myself playing through it more than once just because I have a ton of stuff to play right now, it's a great game. The variety in the gameplay is great, and as you mentioned, the production is top notch. Great voice acting, great animation, great music, everything. The world itself is interesting and very well done. It's almost like playing an adult Pixar movie in a way.

Stay away from the online...it takes for fucking ever to get into a game ; ;

Great Game, wish there would be a sequel or hell take the same foundation using it against different music genres/eras

KkK9g.jpg

Buckethead said:
http://i.imgur.com/KkK9g.jpg

I don't get why people complain about bumping old OT's. If people want to discuss a game that's not brand new, who cares, let's go for it. Bumping old threads like "Trophies announced for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" obviously is unwarranted. But as far as OT and LTTP threads go, who cares. You're not "cool" for making jokes about it.

Einbroch

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
I don't get why people complain about bumping old OT's. If people want to discuss a game that's not brand new, who cares, let's go for it. Bumping old threads like "Trophies announced for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" obviously is unwarranted. But as far as OT and LTTP threads go, who cares. You're not "cool" for making jokes about it.
Er. He's not being sarcastic. He's the OP and is genuinely happy his thread is getting bumped.

Einbroch said:
Er. He's not being sarcastic. He's the OP and is genuinely happy his thread is getting bumped.

Good, my mistake then. I'm sick of people coming in and saying "Oh necrobump, necrobump, waahhhh wahhh" when it's legitimate discussion of a game in the right thread.

Bump for Rocktober. I just finished the game for the first time last week and I am kind of sad it is over. For a metal fan this game is a very cool homage in a video game form. In this land everything is inspired from Heavy Metal imagery with a good dose of metal head attitude from its denizens. I loved it. There are still plenty of mini missions for me to complete but I wonder how much of it will add to the main story. Regardless I plan to return and do a lot of roaming.

I read many complaints about the RTS aspect of the game. I admit, I thought I was playing a brawler at first and was perturbed by the games insistence on resource management plus unit commanding. After I muddled through a few of the stage combats I finally committed all the joystick commands to memory and did what I had to do to win. In the end the RTS was fun but I get why people might not like it.

Some memorable parts for me were seeing the Metal Queen in her lair for the first time (cool design), the music, and the various styles of the army units for both their looks and attacks; Lionwhyte (hair metal), Black Tears (emos) and of course the units you command (metal). Also, Eddie calling his hot rod "The Druid Plow" on an occasion or two.

This game doesn't really need it but I would love to see a sequel.

I've already finished it, but will gladly double dip. One of my favorite open worlds, cool use of a directly controllable RTS, and amazing everything else (soundtrack, characters, voice acting, story, presentation).

Top Bottom