• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

This thoughfulness and harmony between its various aspects is part of what made Braid a really interesting project. Of course, my art was expected to translate the themes into yet another medium. In the case of the "parallel realities" world, I represented the theme by combining luxurious domestic objects (nice furniture and fabrics) with rugged outdoor objects (swampy water, rotting piers and nautical rope). The resuilt is incongruous, but intentionally so! Hopefully players will have two simultaneous reactions – "what a nice ottoman" and "what a yucky swamp" – again reiterating the theme of "splitting", or "staying or going".

But this refers to the objects in the game world, not the game world itself. These completely rectangular platforms could have been shaped differently or something.

kbear

Game looks incredible. I don't get the art style hate. Hand-drawn watercolor art... amazing. The character art isn't as bad as people are saying... look at this:

tim-run-70pc.gif

Come on.. it's awesome. This game is gonna look glorious in HD on my 42" plasma.

jluedtke

I had the opportunity to interview the makers of Braid, and they're really nice guys and have put a ton of thought into this game. I'm tremendously excited for it.

Also, the artist, David Hellman, is fucking brilliant. He used to do a great comic called "A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible". So if you like his art style, you can find the comic here: http://www.davidhellman.net/lesson.htm

jluedtke said:
I had the opportunity to interview the makers of Braid, and they're really nice guys and have put a ton of thought into this game. I'm tremendously excited for it.

Also, the artist, David Hellman, is fucking brilliant. He used to do a great comic called "A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible". So if you like his art style, you can find the comic here: http://www.davidhellman.net/lesson.htm

Oh shit it's THAT guy!! I'd see him at small press expos all the time. That's severely fucking awesome.

gregor7777 said:
Don't think you can...although I read somewhere it's been out since 2006. Weird.
The game started development on the PC, and I think Jon Blow has been showing it off to the press for a couple years now. There are probably development versions of the PC versions floating around in the media.

ArtG

rohlfinator said:
The game started development on the PC, and I think Jon Blow has been showing it off to the press for a couple years now. There are probably development versions of the PC versions floating around in the media.

It has been. I played a near-complete build of Braid a couple of months ago, so I can't imagine that the game is too far off on PC.

Eric WK

They talk about the summer XBLA lineup on today's 1UP FM and those who've played Braid had very favorable impressions. It sounds as good as it looks.

Absolutely everyone who considers themselves a gamer must buy this game. Even if you don't think it's your kind of game (it's certainly not mine), buy it anyway. It's worth it and you will be less of a person for missing out on it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
jluedtke said:

I'd love to get JB in here for a chat. He posts on Penny Arcade, and he registered here but never made a post. He has some really interesting views on the current state of gaming and where it should be going.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
BobJustBob said:
Absolutely everyone who considers themselves a gamer must buy this game. Even if you don't think it's your kind of game (it's certainly not mine), buy it anyway. It's worth it and you will be less of a person for missing out on it.

See, this kind of hyperbole is just nutso.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
I played a really, really early build and...seriously, I've been waiting the last two years for this to actually come out.

SickBoy

Anyone know how long the game is? Six worlds, I suppose, but in actual length relative, say, to a Mario game?

If I'm going to buy it, I'm going to buy it either way, I'm just curious.... (the demo will ultimately sell me or turn me off the game. The more I see, the better it looks, but I'm not 100% sold yet)

FuKuy

I'll wait for the STEAM version.

I'm looking for this game for a long time. It's sooo beautiful!!

Kintaro said:
See, this kind of hyperbole is just nutso.

I think he just means that there are certain games which go in a different direction and try something new, and as a gamer community, we should support such an endeavor.

Eric WK

BenjaminBirdie said:
Just that forty seconds of discussion on 1up FM got me seriously hyped. Very eager to see the narrative pan out.

Oh man. If you thought that was good, read this Xbox World 360 article.

http://braid-game.com/news/?p=220

It's a scan, but the magazine gave Jonathan Blow the go ahead to put it up.

Braid could very well end up on my short list of favorite games this year.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
gregor7777 said:
I think he just means that there are certain games which go in a different direction and try something new, and as a gamer community, we should support such an endeavor.

Oh, I support it. I'll check out the demo and see if I like it. But just because it does something different doesn't mean I have to rush out and buy it for the HONOR AND GLORY OF GAMERS! </hyperbole>

Kintaro said:
Oh, I support it. I'll check out the demo and see if I like it. But just because it does something different doesn't mean I have to rush out and buy it for the HONOR AND GLORY OF GAMERS! </hyperbole>

No, I agree with you. What I mean is that games that try different things often have a hard time with the mainstream, thus depend on a lot of early word of mouth from hardcore gaming communities such as this.

I don't mean you should rush out and buy a bad game just because it's different. I'm just saying that there are a lot of good games that try different things that may never see any further development because people didn't get behind it.

Eric WK said:

Wowsers.

That piece was really fantastic. I can't believe I'm playing it next week and not waiting until December for it to be showing in like one dinky movie theatre in Greenwich Village.

Eric WK

Kintaro said:

It's very rare that I go out of my way to promote a game to anyone other than my closest gaming friends (the last time I did was with BioShock), but I'm going to be doing that with Braid. I obviously haven't played it yet, but clearly it's a unique, ambitious and incredibly personal project. I think that needs to be celebrated, and not just by myself and the other people looking forward to it, but by the gaming community at large. I'm glad Microsoft made the decision to include this in their summer lineup where it'll get a good deal of attention.

Eric WK said:

AWESOME article.

Among many interesting pieces, this I found a bit ironic:

Funding the project with money earned from working on experimental PS3 Cell processor gaming projects for IBM, Blow began coding Braid in December 2004.

kuYuri

I had totally forgotten this was the game called Braid that I saw on 1UP Show awhile back. I'm glad I clicked on the thread, I'm definitely trying this out.

Roquentin

I saw that yesterday, but forgot to post it.
2zibjwx.jpg

Game looks interesting. With time control, I think it may be more like a puzzle game than a platformer.

The more I think about it, the game Braid feels the most like to me is Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssey. Obviously, the mechanics are totally different, but it seems to share the same spirit of taking platform rules of construction and building an entirely new style of solving puzzles around them.

harSon

Banned
gregor7777 said:
AWESOME article.

Among many interesting pieces, this I found a bit ironic:

Holy shit. I was a bit worried about the variety in level design but those shots look fantastic. Depending on if the game is as good as its' visuals, Microsoft needs to nab these guys up and give them a dedicated XBLA studio at the very least.

harSon said:
Holy shit. I was a bit worried about the variety in level design but those shots look fantastic. Depending on if the game is as good as its' visuals, Microsoft needs to nab these guys up and give them a dedicated XBLA studio at the very least.

Blow certainly has the ambition and creativity to be a real innovative force as a studio head.

Eric WK said:

I really love this quote:
"At the very least, I want Braid to be proof for developers that it's possible to make a game that's personal, that openly cares about something and that isn't just about having fun," Blow says, in spite of the hours of fun we've had with his game. "That it's possible to make an art game that actually has good gameplay, and it's possible to keep the player's attention by exploring certain feelings and interactions, rather than just throwing lots of new enemies and weapons at them. Above all, if you respect the player as an intelligent person, and you treat their time and attention as precious, it shows in the resulting game design."
If the game can actually live up to those claims, it'll be something really amazing. I have no idea whether it will or not, but hell if I'm not willing to spend $10 to find out.

The Portal comparisons seem to be very apt, and the thought of that style of mind-trickery in the shell of a 2D platformer has me extremely interested.

Of All Trades said:
So what you're saying is that you want an "artsy" game that doesn't look like all the other artsy games which happen to look nothing alike and represent a wide variety in visual design?

What I'm saying is that unlike Geowars, Giraffe, Eden, etc. this game does not look like high-contrast neon abstract art. The muted, handpainted style it totally different from those games. I don't think this game comes off as very artsy or hip. It features a very traditional 2D style of platformer play with a beautiful but traditional (in the artistic sense) art style.

Just saw the developer walkthrough on gamertrailers and wowza! This game looks really nifty, it definitely has my interest. I really love the music in the game too, very.... relaxing I think is the word!

But, this is why threads on neogaf should state something about the game, rather than trying to be clever/funny. I'd have been in here a lot sooner if the thread had been called "The 2D platforming puzzle game that is Braid (XBLA/PC)". 2D? Platforming? XBLA? I'm There!

GO BRAID!!!

Braid wins IGN’s award for Best Puzzle Game of E3 2008.
July 29th, 2008

Braid beat Puzzle Quest: Galactrix. (And Winterbottom. Sorry Matt… but I think it’s pretty damn sweet that a student game is in this list to begin with. That’s got to look good on the resume.)

Thanks to Bruce Morrison for bringing this to my attention.

Update: Braid also won Best Xbox Live Arcade Game, beating out all the other games in the Summer of Arcade promotion!

Braid was also a runner-up for best artistic design, Special Achievement for Innovation, and Best Downloadable Console Game. That’s 2 awards and 3 runner-ups!

That means it beat out Castle Crashers, Galaga, GW2, alla them.

XBLA, you have your BioShock.

sionyboy said:
Just saw the developer walkthrough on gamertrailers and wowza! This game looks really nifty, it definitely has my interest. I really love the music in the game too, very.... relaxing I think is the word!

But, this is why threads on neogaf should state something about the game, rather than trying to be clever/funny. I'd have been in here a lot sooner if the thread had been called "The 2D platforming puzzle game that is Braid (XBLA/PC)". 2D? Platforming? XBLA? I'm There!

Then it wouldn't be GAF buddy. :p

But yeah I just saw that same walk through and it looks amazing. Day one here :).

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I want to like it, but I can't :(. The artstyle, I mean. You'd think it's because I'm a bitter Wii-only owner, but it's not even that, because the game is coming out on PC too!

The developers tried, but it's again one of those games that, trying to be crisp and neat and detailed and stuff, ultimately looks too clean and flash-like. There are good-looking flash games, mind you, but when I say that, I mean cold, lifeless, and as if the characters and the backgrounds are in separate dimensions. I think it's too detailed for its own good.

Oh, and the characters are hideous.

[EDIT] Actually, it reminds me of that HL² platformer mod in which you're a schizophrenic who can switch between a happy world (kinda Braid-looking) and a horror world. Thing is: the game was a mod, and it showed. And your character's controls were floaty. I get the same feel about Braid, sadly.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I love the artstyle and the gameplay sounds brilliant. Everyone that has played it seems to have great things to say about it too.

Top Bottom