• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

GhaleonEB

Magique said:
When is the PC version supposed to come out? :(
No date announced. Jonathan Blow has said there's an XBLA exclusive window, but won't say how long it is. He's apparantly working on it, though.

TwoBacks

Neo Member
So I haven't read this whole thread. Does any have any comments on the storytelling through gameplay techniques? I have some theories but would like to know if anyone else has put some thought into it.

Note: I am not referring to Mario as art because I think it is clearly novel.

Bebpo

Banned
I finished this today and for the most part I had a lot of fun with the puzzles. But I didn't feel very satisfied when I finished it. The last "level" with the
reverse-ness
was neat, but then the epilogue bit seemed really pointless and a weak note to end it on. I was expecting something interesting and then it just brought me back to the title screen.

Also wish the game was a few worlds longer. Some of the add-ons for the worlds like the
shadow or time-ring
were really fun, but there weren't a whole lot of puzzles to use them in and there weren't a whole lot of worlds with add-on abilities.

Still was worth $15. But not 100% satisfied.

Simple question: Is it worth 1200points?

I thought about buying Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting or Braid.

IGN says that Braid is a great game, but you won't com back after you once played through. Is that true?

Graf Nudu said:

IGN says that Braid is a great game, but you won't com back after you once played through. Is that true?

I've completed the game over 10 times.

Graf Nudu said:
:eek:

But still, it's 1200 points.

Old fighting game with replayability and bad net code (you mean the old SF2 XBLA, right?), or wholly original, rich experience with limited replayability?

Braid is like watching a really fucking good movie. Once you've seen all there is to see you won't be constantly going back to it, but that first time through is something special.

Mdk7

Graf Nudu said:

yes it's basically true, but the first playthrough is made of pure and distilled AWESOME.

BUY THIS GAME, it's one of the best EVER (despite the fugly character design).

Meliorism

Graf Nudu said:
:eek:

But still, it's 1200 points.

Assuming you're referring to Hyper Remix that is hopefully coming out later this year (did Capcom confirm a release date), I'd hold off until then if you absolutely cannot buy both. That said, Braid is a solid title that I thoroughly enjoyed. Judging by the size of this thread, I'm sure it's gotten its fair share of labels, like pretentious bullshit and such, but I thought it was pretty neat.

Just get both!

fatty

Okay, I 'm on my second time playing the game and I think I'm pretty close to finishing it...except that I'm missing one puzzle piece on world 5-4 ("Crossing the Gap"). I'm so tempted to read a guide to get that piece but I've gone this far without one so I really need to suck it up and just figure out how to get that piece above the exit. It seems so simple yet I can't figure it out. Arrgh, it's drivin' me nuts!

Mindlog

fatty said:
Okay, I 'm on my second time playing the game and I think I'm pretty close to finishing it...except that I'm missing one puzzle piece on world 5-4 ("Crossing the Gap"). I'm so tempted to read a guide to get that piece but I've gone this far without one so I really need to suck it up and just figure out how to get that piece above the exit. It seems so simple yet I can't figure it out. Arrgh, it's drivin' me nuts!

:lol :lol :lol

That one got me pretty good. Easily one of the top 3 going by the amount of time it took me to figure out. Probably #1. It is pretty difficult to give a hint without spoilering it away.

Not a spoiler really. Just a small suggestion for the game that I am going to spoiler anyways.
Are you sure you have learned to exploit all of your abilities to their fullest? As always you typically arrive on every map with every ability you need.

I am looking forward to what follows Braid. I'll definitely be supporting it with $$$.

fatty

Mindlog said:
:lol :lol :lol

That one got me pretty good. Easily one of the top 3 going by the amount of time it took me to figure out. Probably #1. It is pretty difficult to give a hint without spoilering it away.

Not a spoiler really. Just a small suggestion for the game that I am going to spoiler anyways.
Are you sure you have learned to exploit all of your abilities to their fullest? As always you typically arrive on every map with every ability you need.

I am looking forward to what follows Braid. I'll definitely be supporting it with $$$.

:lol

You're making it worse!

Now I've got to go back and try it again. *boots up Xbox*

derder

Graf Nudu said:
How can I reach the middle two puzzle pieces in World 2 "The Cloud Bridge".

Wait, you can use the picture? :OOOO

That's the only puzzle I didn't figure out on my own, my damn roommate figured it out while he was high.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Not sure if people still care, but news on the PC Braid release. There will also apparently be a Mac version.

A lot of people are writing in asking about the release date for the Braid PC version.

I had originally announced the release date for the end of 2008, but for various reasons, this hasn’t happened. Once we slipped into mid-October and all the big Christmas-season blockbusters started coming out, it just seemed like a bad idea to schedule Braid for that time period, as it seems likely it’d get released and then disappear.

At this time, we’re looking at a window of February-March 2009 for the PC release. I know this isn’t good news for those of you who have been waiting a long time for the game, but there sure are lots of games out there for you to play in the meantime.

I am also in talks with someone to do a Mac version (native code). The release date for this would be hopefully not long after the PC version.

There are no plans for other platforms in the near future, though as I’ve mentioned before, a PS3 version a little later on remains a possibility (though again, this depends on whether Sony is interested in the game).

Thanks, and have a good New Year.

I really wish this came out closer to the XBLA release. I feel like I've lost a lot of my initial hype for the game. However, if it comes to Steam (and in the comments section he makes it sound like it most likely will), I'll probably still buy it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
sangreal said:
He wanted it on steam in the first place but they wouldn't give him the time of day, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I believe he was trying to talk to them before they set up steamworks, but got the cold shoulder. However, this:

Jonathan Blow in the comments section said:
Oh, and about Steam: Originally they did not seem very interested in Braid, but now that it’s a successful game they seem to have changed their mind. I haven’t signed a contract with them, but they seem interested, so the biggest factor now is just me finishing the PC version and giving it to them.

Gives me hope that things have improved.

JavaMava said:
Also the bright vibrant colors that kind of draw over themselves remind me of acid. Not what I think acid would be like, but an actual acid trip.

I agree. I used to do a ton of acid years ago, and the visuals in Braid are close to what I experienced. I am done with psychedelics for now, but Braid and shrooms are a nice combination.

markot

Banned
Any idea what this will cost on the PC >_>?

Ive been looking forward to it for awhile, but dont own a 360!

I love that PC gets most of the indie games that go to Wiiware and such services.

Firestorm said:
My head hurts. I was only able to get 46/60 pieces in my first playthrough :(
Very tempted to GameFAQs the rest.
The game is devilishly simple. I don't think there is a piece that the game hasn't already taught you how to get. Except for the obvious exception. Don't use a guide, watching someone else play the game isn't worth $15.

gregor7777 said:
Digitally distributed puzzle platformer for the thinking man sells 177,000 copies. That's impressive.
That thing caps out in the middle of November, Braid has bounced back up to 10th place at least once since then. I don't know how the holidays affect XBLA sales, but it's probably close to 250k.

Firestorm

Son of Godzilla said:
The game is devilishly simple. I don't think there is a piece that the game hasn't already taught you how to get. Except for the obvious exception. Don't use a guide, watching someone else play the game isn't worth $15.
Well it was free from Spike. I went back to World 2 and I seriously can't even figure out how to get two of the pieces in 2-2. There's an enemy, frame, and a piece on the other side. I couldn't do it in the demo either

Edit: holy crap i
landed in the picture

Firestorm said:
Well it was free from Spike. I went back to World 2 and I seriously can't even figure out how to get two of the pieces in 2-2. There's an enemy, frame, and a piece on the other side. I couldn't do it in the demo either
Of course that would be the obvious exception :lol

Carlisle

Just finished the game. Absolutely fucking fantastic. I wasn't sold on it till I played the demo and wow. Braid desperately needs DLC in the form of bonus puzzles.

I'm contemplating the speed run, but it looks like all sorts of impossible. However, two of my friends on XBL have it done, so I feel like I should too :(

Firestorm

Just finished. Only had to look up two or three puzzles in the end. Going back with a fresh mind really helped =) Checked GameFAQs after finishing for the Plot Analysis and dammmnn :eek:

ampere

Haeleos said:
How did Eternity's Child get up on Steam so easily but THIS, Valve wasn't interested in?
I love Steam and all but there are some trash games on there. I also cannot believe how they would turn Braid away. I was sold the first time I saw a screenshot for it. The gorgeous art was all it took for me.

About to fire it up, don't want to make myself crazy, so I have a question:

Can I get every single puzzle piece as soon as I encounter it? I mean, do I need a skill I get later in the game to come back and use it to get the puzzle piece?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
TheMissingLink said:
Can I get every single puzzle piece as soon as I encounter it? I mean, do I need a skill I get later in the game to come back and use it to get the puzzle piece?
Sort of. There's one piece that you won't be able to get your first time around; but you'll be able to get it very, very shortly thereafter (but not because you have to learn a new skill).

Iksenpets

Banned
TheMissingLink said:
About to fire it up, don't want to make myself crazy, so I have a question:

There are no new skills or any sort of leveling up in the game. Everything can be done with the mechanics of the level you're in.

Iksenpets said:
There are no new skills or any sort of leveling up in the game. Everything can be done with the mechanics of the level you're in.

Fantastic, thanks for putting it much more eloquently than I could :D

I'm pumped to go through it - people, download the trial!!

Jacobi

Banned
So um they basically put almost all of the story in the epilogue? Can someone explain the story to me? I haven't slept since 30 hours.

Jonsoncao

Banned
its kinda lttp

but i have to say this game is purely GEEEEEEEEEENIUS!!

just solved world 2 and ima already blown away :lol :lol

FightyF

Banned
I suppose with the price drop we'll see a lot of new Braid players here.

To all those arguing about the price ITT, buy it now.

Top Bottom