• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brain Training (DS) Now Available on Wii U eShop In Japan For Free

This is what you guys get for taunting Iwata. He is knocking shit out of the god damn park lately! If this continues; E3's coming home to the Big N, baby!

Eh. For the virtual console "knocking it out of the park" would have to mean 3ds/wiiu crossbuy for consoles supported by both systems, a more plentiful release schedule long-term, or both.

iDXRmL7xtp0pp.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pMziNTrddzA

This is what you guys get for taunting Iwata. He is knocking shit out of the god damn park lately! If this continues; E3's coming home to the Big N, baby!

Because they re-released a terrible game for free on a platform that shouldn't even be receiving DS games to begin with? Where the hell are my N64 games?

When DS games come to NA and Europe, they better release one game for free. Or else this just shows even more preferential treatment towards Japan, even though they constantly say the majority of their sales are from overseas.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Because they re-released a terrible game for free on a platform that shouldn't even be receiving DS games to begin with? Where the hell are my N64 games?
since when were the brain training games terrible? are you trying to pull some revisionist bullshit?

khaaan

The Wii U turning into a Nintendo machine would be amazing. Of course, they would have to step up their game and actually release stuff.

Elija2

Dan just confirmed on Twitter that there's no save states in the game or anything a VC release would usually have.

So Nintendo are willing to release VC games without their special VC features? Then why have we still not gotten GBA games on the 3DS?

When DS games come to NA and Europe, they better release one game for free. Or else this just shows even more preferential treatment towards Japan, even though they constantly say the majority of their sales are from overseas.

"Japanese company prioritizes Japanese market, more news at 11."

So Nintendo are willing to release VC games without their special VC features? Then why have we still not gotten GBA games on the 3DS?

As was pointed out, having save states in BT could break the game and this, like the 3DS Ambassador games, is free. We don't yet know how other DS games will be handled.

Walter Matthau

Gold Member

Thing that bothers me is all the retail releases they receive for games that are eshop exclusives in the West even though sales data from Super Luigi suggests that Japan is the country least likely to care.

Elija2

As was pointed out, having save states in BT could break the game and this, like the 3DS Ambassador games, is free. We don't yet know how other DS games will be handled.

Couldn't save states hypothetically break every game? It's not like there are online leaderboards or anything.

I don't know how being free has anything to do with it. We know that the 3DS Ambassador GBA games lack VC features because they're not using emulation. Why would they gimp a VC game just because they're giving it out for free? Did the Super Mario Bros. Deluxe 3DS game that was given out for free in Europe and Japan lack save states?

I honestly believe that they couldn't get save states working for DS games, just like they couldn't get GBA emulation working on 3DS. But if they're willing to release DS games without VC features, why won't they do the same with GBA games on 3DS?

Tripon

It hasn't. People are interpreting the controller thing generously.

Granted, GC VC would make sense, but it'd be bewlidering if it happened before N64 on Wiiu.

The whole way Nintendo is doing VC on Wii U is bewildering.

No arcade ports despite the Wii U being loads faster and stronger than Wii, limited NES and SNES VC games, no Genesis games. GBA games, and DS games on a console.

Might as well do Gamecube and Wii releases before N64.

DVCY201

Oh cool! So we may be seeing DS games sooner that I certainly imagined. I really enjoyed Brain Age, if this comes over for free then I'll definitely grab it. It's good puzzle exercises.

The best QOL game.

This also confirms that VC games are NOT re-rendered in HD. You wouldn't notice so with prior systems due to them being all 2D, but Brain Age is the first game with polygons IIRC, so that's one dream dead from the "DS games in HD" thread. :(

Edit: Dan also posted a direct screen on twitter:

If they spring DS VC games on me at E3 I'm going to play nothing but Wii U this month between DS games/MK8/Pushmo World.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wasn't Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword a game that was played in a book style? I never got around to playing that, so I wouldn't mind that being on Wii U VC like this.

Kriken

So that means they've already got the DS emulation working for the WiiU, a lot earlier than I expected it to be. And now the wait for the NA releases in the fall
of 2015

random25

Maybe this will be one of their bombs at E3 (as in announce the date it will be implemented worldwide and what games will be there at launch).

JoeM86

This also confirms that VC games are NOT re-rendered in HD. You wouldn't notice so with prior systems due to them being all 2D, but Brain Age is the first game with polygons IIRC, so that's one dream dead from the "DS games in HD" thread. :(

Edit: Dan also posted a direct screen on twitter:

Well, there is hope. This game feels like an ambassador style title. It lacks all Virtual Console features like save states etc. so there's still hope.

LET ME DREAM :(

Edit: Looks like it's only available for free until June 30th

Richie

Also what happened while I was asleep, why does everyone keep saying Beyonce?

An album of hers was released out of completely nowhere in iTunes, no previous promotions, absolutely nothing hinting that it was coming...Just like this release, the latest Wii U update, or their Mario Kart Direct, to name a few recent examples.

openrob

Eh. For the virtual console "knocking it out of the park" would have to mean 3ds/wiiu crossbuy for consoles supported by both systems, a more plentiful release schedule long-term, or both.

This guy knows what's up. I don't expect that until next home console though. :(

Great maybe NOE will remember they were supposed to release Brain Training 3D on October 25th last year...
I only want to streetpass puzzle but 24 pieces will be underwhelming nowadays

That aside. I'm left handed so would I have to hold the gamepad upside down? Interesting hurdle for Nintendo to overcome, that.

Great maybe NOE will remember they were supposed to release Brain Training 3D on October 25th last year...
I only want to streetpass puzzle but 24 pieces will be underwhelming nowadays

That aside. I'm left handed so would I have to hold the gamepad upside down? Interesting hurdle for Nintendo to overcome, that.

Looks like it. Daan posted a vine showing you can flip the screen upside down with the right stick, presumably for us lefties.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
free release is always good. I hope this will come to the West soon.
I hope this will somehow open the gates for many more DS releases on the Wii U. I'd really like to play again some of those games

It hasn't. People are interpreting the controller thing generously.

Granted, GC VC would make sense, but it'd be bewlidering if it happened before N64 on Wiiu.

This will require the world's biggest grain of salt, but I was chatting up an older Nintendo Rep at the Best Buy Smash Fest shindig in Ann Arbor, MI, and he asserted that GameCube games are absolutely coming to the Wii U VC.

Do I want to believe him? Sure I do. But who knows - it seems unlikely that a random guy running one of numerous marketing events would have that information and be that open about it. As we heard from the pair of Treehouse employees who opened the E3 livestream, some Nintendo employees work in total secrecy, keeping details about their daily projects from their spouses.

So maybe he was just full of bull. <shrug>

Top Bottom