• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandon Sanderson - The Cosmere |OT| there's always another secret...

Really not seeing it.

The most central plot in both stories revolves around a group of people who have been thrown into a Really Bad Situation. Everyone in Really Bad Situation has lost Hope, because they are guaranteed to (1) die soon and (2) live a miserable existence until they die. Really Great Guy enters Really Bad Situation, but is able to last a surprisingly long time without dying, and doesn't lose Hope. Then, he works to restore hope in other people, by creating a sense of community and a shared purpose. By maintaining faith and working together, they are able to escape Really Bad Situation.

Edit: Beaten

Interestingly, Brandon himself has drawn a lot of comparisons between Elantris and Warbreaker. He originally conceived Warbreaker as a sort of alternate reality Elantris where the "city of gods" is still thriving rather than in decay.

Yeah but the comparisons basically end there. The plots go in completely different directions, and the "Gods" bare very little resemblance to each other.

zroid

Banned
Yeah but the comparisons basically end there. The plots go in completely different directions, and the "Gods" bare very little resemblance to each other.

Plot wise they aren't that similar, but some of the themes are. It's basically just stuff he's talked about in annotations though.

Woorloog

Banned
So, at best, part of one third of Elantris has similarities with The Way of Kings.

As i said, not really seeing it. Such struggles are not uncommon to fantasy (or fiction in general) either.

Personality-wise, Raoden and Kaladin are like opposites too, Chronic Hero Syndrome aside.

EDIT Last minute powerup is something that happens many times in Sanderson's works. A bit too many to be honest, though fortunately Sanderson justifies it nearly always pretty well.

X-Frame

Yesterday I was looking to create an alternate PSN name and ended up going down the glossary list for Stormlight / Cosmere terms until I saw that "Worldhopper" was available. Snagged that immediately.

Out of probably all the terms, that was one of my most sought after (maybe behind Thunderclast).

Now I am sad that my alternate PSN name is cooler than my main I can't really transfer anything.

EDIT Last minute powerup is something that happens many times in Sanderson's works. A bit too many to be honest, though fortunately Sanderson justifies it nearly always pretty well.

Yeah, I have trouble thinking of a protagonist from one of Sandersons' series that doesn't get a Last Minute Powerup. It doesn't happen at the end of *every* book, but it's happened in Mistborn, Elantris, SA, Warbreaker, Reckoners...it's super common, but I've just kinda come to expect both that and the Big Twist. I know they're coming by now which you would *think* dulls the impact of them, but most of the time they still get me.

WoK spoilers
When Dalinar has that dream where he learns that Odium already killed the Almighty a while ago I was legit shook.

Finished Words of Radiance yesterday. Handily my favorite fantasy books ever at this point, now I'm just disappointed that it's going to be another 20 years before they're finished. At least I've got a bunch of other Cosmere stuff to fill up the next 4 months until Oathbringer is out.

zroid

Banned
Yeah, I have trouble thinking of a protagonist from one of Sandersons' series that doesn't get a Last Minute Powerup. It doesn't happen at the end of *every* book, but it's happened in Mistborn, Elantris, SA, Warbreaker, Reckoners...it's super common, but I've just kinda come to expect both that and the Big Twist. I know they're coming by now which you would *think* dulls the impact of them, but most of the time they still get me.

WoK spoilers
When Dalinar has that dream where he learns that Odium already killed the Almighty a while ago I was legit shook.

i think brandon does a really good job of making them feel earned, so it always works well, even if it's a bit of a trope at this point

Still trying to make it through Words of Radiance but man this section with
Shallan and Kaladin stuck in a chasm and trading lame insults with each other
is baaaad

VanWinkle

is baaaad

I thought the end of that scene had really nice payoff. But then I wasn't as turned off by that scene as you.

Woorloog

Banned
Still haven't gotten around reading Emperor's Soul... and most of non-major Cosmere world shorts.
When it comes to minor things, i've never been a fan of short stories, the only exceptions being some by Clarke or Asimov.
But Emperor's Soul... considering how well received it is, i've no idea why i can't get around starting it. The only thing i can think of is that i regard Sel way too boring world, and somehow this taints ES in my mind. Maybe. Go figure how your mind works...

I think I'm in the minority in finding Words of Radiance a huge step down in comparison to The Way of Kings. Hopefully Oathbreaker can restore my interest when it comes out. If not, then, well... at least there's always more Mistborn on the horizon!

I can't stand the
Shallan & Kaladin
romance. Felt so forced.

I didn't see it as romance at all...

Opposite genders getting along does not automatically make it a romance.

I think I'm in the minority in finding Words of Radiance a huge step down in comparison to The Way of Kings. Hopefully Oathbreaker can restore my interest when it comes out. If not, then, well... at least there's always more Mistborn on the horizon!

I am the opposite. WoR was a major upgrade.

... also, the newer Mistborn stuff has been hot trash.

exYle

True, but Kaladin definitely caught feelings after their romp in the chasms.

I loved it, though. That moment when they learn that they both went through hell throughout their lives was amazing.

I have two other long books on my TBR before I can really dive in to Way of Kings but I'm liking what I've read so far. It's grabbed me a lot more than when I tried to read The Final Empire.

I'm assuming I'm not supposed to understand a single thing about "Prelude to the Stormlight Archive" right? Because I couldn't tell what was going on.

The gravity changing assassination scene 4500 years later was pretty awesome.

Also would there be a benefit to reading The Emperor's Soul before Way of Kings? I have a copy of both.

88random

Not really, they are not connected at all. But it's still one of his best books, you should read it eventually.

Read Warbreaker before Words of Radiance.

danthefan

is baaaad

I love the two books but I find some of the dialogue just to be so forced and a bit cringe. I found the same with Shallan and Kabsal in WoK.

Faiz

... also, the newer Mistborn stuff has been hot trash.

Man, I am throwing record amounts of side eye today. Work, Facebook, GAF...

True, but Kaladin definitely caught feelings after their romp in the chasms.

I loved it, though. That moment when they learn that they both went through hell throughout their lives was amazing.

He absolutely did. He's not obsessively pining after her or anything but saying they "got along" feels massively off track. She did as well, even if she's still fixated upon Adolin for the most part.

I have two other long books on my TBR before I can really dive in to Way of Kings but I'm liking what I've read so far. It's grabbed me a lot more than when I tried to read The Final Empire.

I'm assuming I'm not supposed to understand a single thing about "Prelude to the Stormlight Archive" right? Because I couldn't tell what was going on.

The gravity changing assassination scene 4500 years later was pretty awesome.

Also would there be a benefit to reading The Emperor's Soul before Way of Kings? I have a copy of both.

The prelude was a very typical standard flash-fiction prelude giving you a little glimpse of what happened in the past that sets the stage for the story in the "present". It offers hints about the world and the magic which shouldn't be understood until much later in the story.

Emperor's Soul can be read at any time. It is as detached from overall Cosmere connections as possible at this point. I have a feeling some bits may get hooked into Elantris sequels, but for now you are in the clear.

I agree with the suggestion to read Warbreaker before Words of Radiance though. It's not critical to the story at all, but it is suggested.

zroid

Banned
I re-read the Prelude to TSA about half way through WoK and I was like...

1408.gif

P.S.: Emperor's Soul is so good

Sulik2

They don't get talked about much, but Sanderson's infinity blade books are actually really good. Especially the second one.

Veelk

Banned
So I said this before, but Sanderson has the type of prose that I can only stand if the content is really, really good. Stormlight Archives is the only of his work that I read and that's mainly because I heard that he describes it as his best work.

Do people generally agree with this stance?

Barzul

So I said this before, but Sanderson has the type of prose that I can only stand if the content is really, really good. Stormlight Archives is the only of his work that I read and that's mainly because I heard that he describes it as his best work.

I think it's his best work also. The magic system in Mistborn was more interesting to me though. But yeah the overall package of Stormlight is better so far.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

I've tried a sample of Way of Kings, and sentences like this bother me:

Many of the bodies around him were human; many were not. Blood mixed. Red. Orange. Violet. Though none of the bodies around him stirred, an indistinct haze of sounds hung in the air. Moans of pain, cries of grief. They did not seem like the sounds of victory. Smoke curled from the occasional patches of growth or heaps of burning corpses. Even some sections of rock smoldered. The Dustbringers had done their work well.

Had the other eight all died? It was possible. The battle had been so furious this time, one of the worst. The enemy was growing increasingly tenacious.

But no. Kalak frowned as he stepped up to the base of the spire.

There were so many corpses, and among them walked the living. Men in primitive wraps, carrying spears topped by bronze heads. Juxtaposed between them were others in gleaming plate armor. One group walked past, four men in their ragged tanned skins or shoddy leather joining a powerful figure in beautiful silver plate, amazingly intricate. Such a contrast.

Such a contrast?

Is his sentence structure consistently this cumbersome? The hype for these books is unreal and I want to experience them, but I always move on to another book after reading a chapter or two of the sample on Kindle.

Veelk

Banned

Such a contrast?

Is his sentence structure consistently this cumbersome? The hype for these books is unreal and I want to experience them, but I always move on to another book after reading a chapter or two of the sample on Kindle.

Short version: Yes.

Long version: Yes, but it slowly bothers you less the more you learn about the world and get invested. The content is great, but the language used to describe the content is weak.

I actually almost never read SA because of it. Some years ago, I picked up Way of Kings and got maybe 33% through it before dropping it for basically this exact reason. Then, last year, I tried to read Wheel of Time. Wheel of time is SO much worse and by the time I dropped it, I just needed some kind of cleanser and decided to try Way of Kings a second time. Reading WoT made Sanderson's much easier to tolerate, and once the ball got rolling and I got invested in the world, mysteries, and characters, it slowly bothered me less and less overall. I kind of view Sanderson's writing as like an overenthusiastic fanboy. I'm more amused by his fumbles than annoyed.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Short version: Yes.

Long version: Yes, but it slowly bothers you less the more you learn about the world and get invested. The content is great, but the language used to describe the content is weak.

I actually almost never read SA because of it. Some years ago, I picked up Way of Kings and got maybe 33% through it before dropping it for basically this exact reason. Then, last year, I tried to read Wheel of Time. Wheel of time is SO much worse and by the time I dropped it, I just needed some kind of cleanser and decided to try Way of Kings a second time. Reading WoT made Sanderson's much easier to tolerate, and once the ball got rolling and I got invested in the world, mysteries, and characters, it slowly bothered me less and less overall. I kind of view Sanderson's writing as like an overenthusiastic fanboy. I'm more abused by his fumbles than annoyed.

Well, it's comforting to know that there's someone else who can relate to me on this. You're right, maybe I need to read something worse than Stormlight to appreciate Sanderson's writing more, but it's tough when the last few fantasy authors I've read have consisted of Steven Erikson, George R. R. Martin, Robin Hobb, and Josiah Bancroft. :p

Such a contrast?

If you're a stickler for prose, Sanderson is probably gonna drive you up a wall. I think most fans will agree that it's plain at best, clunky at worst. Stormlight Archives is about average, maybe a bit above average for him. Perhaps the best that can be said about it is that during action sequences his writing tends to be clear and succinct enough that the prose kind of falls away and you can just burn through page after page. It's during the slower, more character-focused sections that you really start to feel his shortcomings as a writer.

If you haven't read his short fiction, they're a good, low-investment way to get a sense of what's good and bad about his stories and whether you'd be interested in something longer in that style. Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell and Sixth of the Dusk can both be had cheaply on Kindle.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's the Sanderson trade-off. He writes so much it's unreal... it almost doesn't seem possible the number of words he produces per day. Surely the most prolific big fantasy author of any kind of decent repute publishing today.

It's just that what he writes is a little on the plain side :)

The stories themselves are truly excellent. Just plainly and sometimes clunkily told. But it won't matter when you're two thirds through a book and every page is "oh shit... OH SHIT..."

Faiz

It's the Sanderson trade-off. He writes so much it's unreal... it almost doesn't seem possible the number of words he produces per day. Surely the most prolific big fantasy author of any kind of decent repute publishing today.

The stories themselves are truly excellent. Just plainly and sometimes clunkily told. But it won't matter when you're two thirds through a book and every page is "oh shit... OH SHIT..."

Yep. For my part I've never cared much about prose when it comes to fiction. Whenever I see criticisms of Sanderson based on prose I can't even wrap my head around it because it doesn't even register, with few exceptions. The story and world grab me or it doesn't.

Sanderson's writing style is pretty flat, I'll agree. His strongest point by a million miles is his worldbuilding, otherwise he's mostly just okay.

Barzul

Exactly how I feel. He's a monster in the speed he writes. I rather deal with his writing style than deal with GRRM style wait times for book releases.

Exactly how I feel. He's a monster in the speed he writes. I rather deal with his writing style than deal with GRRM style wait times for book releases.

lol one of the reasons I decided to read Way of Kings was because after finishing Wise Man's Fear the idea of an author regularly putting out books (and having a progress bar on their website) sounded amazing!

Faiz

Discovered today that a bunch of Sandersons books that were on Kindle Match no longer are. I shouldn't have put those purchases off. :/

arkon

Discovered today that a bunch of Sandersons books that were on Kindle Match no longer are. I shouldn't have put those purchases off. :/

Yeah. I noticed this a few weeks ago. Luckily I had already bought all the stuff I wanted.

Seems like it's across the board with Tor published books which all used to be part of the scheme (I think). I wonder what happened there as they were one of the more forward thinking when it came to ebooks.

Faiz

Yeah. I noticed this a few weeks ago. Luckily I had already bought all the stuff I wanted.

Seems like it's across the board with Tor published books which all used to be part of the scheme (I think). I wonder what happened there as they were one of the more forward thinking when it came to ebooks.

Thankfully I've only missed one or two I think. Realized it when I noticed Oathbringer didn't have the option. When Arcanum Unbounded came out, getting the kindle version simultaneously on match was so nice. :(

Woorloog

Banned
It was actually cancelled sometime ago. Posted about it here, i think. Though perhaps that was unofficial cancellation, now that i think of it.

EDIT Yup, posted this few months ago:
Ah, fuck. It seems the Mistborn video game got cancelled. Not a surprise since it was delayed once or twice already (and the studio making it was something of a no-name studio).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0psYyyZwYs

Shame really... Some complain it is like reading a video game (i disagree with that assessment) but it certainly would have made a good one.
In hands of competent developer team anyway.

EDIT If the CEO is being honest though, i guess the game's problems wasn't necessarily developer competence but other events.
Interesting that the devs note Assassin's Creed and Dishonored. The former is certainly a good basis for Mistborn, so it seems the devs were on the right track at least.

zroid

Banned
After I finished everything in the Cosmere earlier this year I decided to re-read the Wheel of Time. Just wrapping up The Gathering Storm now. It's kind of odd how the writing style changes from chapter to chapter. I don't mind it because overall the pacing of the novel feels better than several of the previous few books, but it can definitely be distracting at times.

Anyway, the main thing I wanted to say was that the last 20% or so feels so distinctly Brandon. It's very fun and satisfying to read, just like the endings of hi own books. The first time I read TGS was before I had touched any of Brandon's other stuff so I wasn't familiar with his endings back then. It's great.

Woorloog

Banned
After I finished everything in the Cosmere earlier this year I decided to re-read the Wheel of Time. Just wrapping up The Gathering Storm now. It's kind of odd how the writing style changes from chapter to chapter. I don't mind it because overall the pacing of the novel feels better than several of the previous few books, but it can definitely be distracting at times.

Anyway, the main thing I wanted to say was that the last 20% or so feels so distinctly Brandon. It's very fun and satisfying to read, just like the endings of hi own books. The first time I read TGS was before I had touched any of Brandon's other stuff so I wasn't familiar with his endings back then. It's great.

I have vague recollection of the same.
I reckon the style changes tend to result from stuff Jordan wrote, stuff Sanderson wrote and stuff Jordan wrote partially and Sanderson expanded or tweaked. Kinda unavoidable really, in a situation like that.
Pretty sure Sanderson said he didn't try to imitate Jordan's style, rather it was "Jordan's story, as told by Sanderson". Perhaps he should've, perhaps it wouldn't have done any good.

How weird it is. A world with no more Wheel of Time. It was a series i read for so many years...
As much as i like the Cosmere books, and the Stormlight Archive especially, it doesn't feel quite the same.... I do not mean to imply i see it as worse, but the experience is different somehow.

I wonder how much finishing WoT catapulted Sanderson's career. I know i hadn't heard of his books before him being revealed as WoT's writer after Jordan passed away.

I have vague recollection of the same.
I reckon the style changes tend to result from stuff Jordan wrote, stuff Sanderson wrote and stuff Jordan wrote partially and Sanderson expanded or tweaked. Kinda unavoidable really, in a situation like that.
Pretty sure Sanderson said he didn't try to imitate Jordan's style, rather it was "Jordan's story, as told by Sanderson". Perhaps he should've, perhaps it wouldn't have done any good.

How weird it is. A world with no more Wheel of Time. It was a series i read for so many years...
As much as i like the Cosmere books, and the Stormlight Archive especially, it doesn't feel quite the same.... I do not mean to imply i see it as worse, but the experience is different somehow.

I wonder how much finishing WoT catapulted Sanderson's career. I know i hadn't heard of his books before him being revealed as WoT's writer after Jordan passed away.

The thing is.. Mistborn was already well on its way.. So I would say, if WoT did anything, it sped up Sanderson's recognition. But without a doubt he'd still be just as well known. Especially considering that his proclivity is a major draw for fans.

Top Bottom