• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandon Sanderson - Words of Radiance |OT| Stormlight Archives Book 2 (March 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Fair enough, I'm just sick of the
villain gets killed at the last second conveniently by someone/something else
trope.

Actually,
it sounds more like he's killed by something else because of the inaction of the hero. Kaladin could have killed Sveth or not, either way the highstorm / everstorm would have done the job. It's not a sudden last second action that you don't expect. They're fighting in the middle of a superstorm, and just one half of that equation has been proven deadly in the series.

Brandon did an AMA on /r/books yesterday, and here's what he had to say about the change:

It was a tough decision. I think Lucas has ruined doing things like this for a lot of people, and I was certain many readers would dislike it. (Turns out, there have been fewer voices against it than I'd assumed.)

One of the things I'll be doing is making sure Book Three works with either version of the ending. I consider the changes minor. The big reason I made the swap, however, was that (I hope) these books will be read for years to come, and I wanted to get the right ending.

It shouldn't be TOO bad logistically. Remember, the changes shouldn't matter too much for the story as a whole. We will be changing the audiobooks if we can, however, but you're probably right--book three will be when it happens.

I don't plan this to be a common occurrence, but at the same time, I was increasingly certain I wanted this tweak made. So I did it for my own peace of mind, though I figured the majority of fans would rather I not.

Yeah this wasn't that big of a deal to me. When I read about it I pretty much just said "Oh...ok." and moved on. Now if suddenly
Shallan showed up out of nowhere and killed him instead or something similar
that would have set me off a bit more.

Yeah, I don't see it as a big deal either, especially since Sanderson himself said it doesn't change the story as a whole, and that SA3 will work with either version. I'm glad he decided to change it to what he feels is best.

Loke13

So I just found out about the Cosmere. I'm honestly not really sure about how I feel about it. The Stormlight Archives seems so different from the worlds of Mistborn, Warbreaker, etc... that I can see mixing them won't really make sense and may detract from each world individually. Though Sanderson is a pretty good writer.
That's probably because they actually are on different planets lol and the fact that the SA is probably the most extensive of his works.

Kaladin

So I just found out about the Cosmere. I'm honestly not really sure about how I feel about it. The Stormlight Archives seems so different from the worlds of Mistborn, Warbreaker, etc... that I can see mixing them won't really make sense and may detract from each world individually. Though Sanderson is a pretty good writer.

Each world is it's own individual thing. You can see the similarities in them though. Similar themes, similar struggles, similar class divisions. They also both have their gods and god-like forces. They also both have things which effect the environment of the world....Mistorn - mists, Stormlight - storms.

You could chalk this up to an author repeating themes, but when you roll it all into one big universe, the little things start to make sense.

The Cosmere is still unfolding though. It's anyone's guess as to how far it goes, though he does have a book planned to explain it all and wrap it up I think.

VanWinkle

Each world is it's own individual thing. You can see the similarities in them though. Similar themes, similar struggles, similar class divisions. They also both have their gods and god-like forces. They also both have things which effect the environment of the world....Mistorn - mists, Stormlight - storms.

You could chalk this up to an author repeating themes, but when you roll it all into one big universe, the little things start to make sense.

The Cosmere is still unfolding though. It's anyone's guess as to how far it goes, though he does have a book planned to explain it all and wrap it up I think.

He said on the AMA that he would eventually have a star chart drawn up with the locations of the different world's, which just excites me greatly.

wamberz1

Absolutely. Just finished Mistborn 1 and I definitely noticed some similarities to SA (ancient magic returning, slave main character, Hi class/Low class, "intaking" something to use magic). Very excited to see how he ties it all together when that cosmere book is released.

Kaladin

For the interested parties, work on Stormlight Archives 3 has begun:

KAWYKUC.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
Someone translate this to actual time.

And he just started now :(?

Once he gets started, he gets it done quite quickly.
I'd expect the book in about a year, late Spring 2016 perhaps, with luck.

EDIT Oh, holiday? So late 2016? *shrug*

VanWinkle

Someone translate this to actual time.

And he just started now :(?

He said it will release holiday 2016, two and a half years after WoR. :-(

Compared to some authors that's no big deal, but he was saying that he was wanting these to get done every 18 to 24 months.

Woorloog

Banned
What did i calculate one, how long does it take to finish the series...
I think i used that 2.5 years per book... +5 year break between books 5 and 6...
It will take until late 2030's before the series is finished, at least, i think?

Kaladin

Once he gets started, he gets it done quite quickly.
I'd expect the book in about a year, late Spring 2016 perhaps, with luck.

EDIT Oh, holiday? So late 2016? *shrug*

He'll turn it into publishers around late Spring perhaps, but Holiday 2016 is what it's looking like.

He cleared all of his other book commitments (Reckoners, Mistborn, ect.) off the table before starting this in earnest, so he's working on Stormlight exclusively.

The race is on, which will make it to our hands first, a book without an official title (Stormlight Archives 3) or Martin's The Winds Of Winter?

TheFatOne

He'll turn it into publishers around late Spring perhaps, but Holiday 2016 is what it's looking like.

He cleared all of his other book commitments (Reckoners, Mistborn, ect.) off the table before starting this in earnest, so he's working on Stormlight exclusively.

The race is on, which will make it to our hands first, a book without an official title (Stormlight Archives 3) or Martin's The Winds Of Winter?

LOL Winds of Winter has no shot of coming out in 2016.

Feep

Banned
Super bump but MAN THIS BOOK WAS DOPE AS HELL.

MY LOVE JASNAH IS ALIVE

Also that was some Advent Children shit at the end. I know these books would be nearly impossible to translate to screen, but man, I'd love to see that.

Now the sad, sad wait to late 2016...

Mifec

Super bump but MAN THIS BOOK WAS DOPE AS HELL.

MY LOVE JASNAH IS ALIVE

Also that was some Advent Children shit at the end. I know these books would be nearly impossible to translate to screen, but man, I'd love to see that.

Now the sad, sad wait to late 2016...

Well yeah the end of every book goes full on anime hahaha.

Probably my favorite fantasy series atm, followed by DF.

wamberz1

To anyone depressed about the wait I would highly recommend a re read. There's a lot of lore stuff I missed the first time around.
Well yeah the end of every book goes full on anime hahaha.

Probably my favorite fantasy series atm, followed by DF.
What's df?

Faiz

Everyone reading/read Shadows of Self? Just got my copy last night, rounded out the first 100 pages on the way home. Feels like a nice comfy hat being back on Scadrial again!

And how do we not have a Sanderson's Cosmere OT yet? I'd do it but really don't have the time to do it right...

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone reading/read Shadows of Self? Just got my copy last night, rounded out the first 100 pages on the way home. Feels like a nice comfy hat being back on Scadrial again!

And how do we not have a Sanderson's Cosmere OT yet? I'd do it but really don't have the time to do it right...

I powered through it in 2 days... Great read, though also soul-destroying, heh. Tone definitely took a turn for the darker compared to the previous book. I agree with you that it's wonderful coming back to Scadrial, makes me want to re-read the MB trilogy and AoL.

A Cosmere OT for discussion and to share Sanderson's books would be super cool. I could help with that, since I'm fairly well versed in the lore and active in the community.

FrigidEh

I finished these two books a couple months ago. I don't get the hype to be honest. The first book was very difficult to get through, especially Kaladin's chapters. Shallan was also not very good but she did make the second book much better. I have cautious optimism for the next one.

I finished these two books a couple months ago. I don't get the hype to be honest. The first book was very difficult to get through, especially Kaladin's chapters. Shallan was also not very good but she did make the second book much better. I have cautious optimism for the next one.

Yeah I've been pretty vocal in the reading thread wrt WoR. I thought it was bloated. I liked WoK but WoR just really felt like "Sanderson wants to write a 1000 page novel so he's padding the hell out of this."

If WoR was shortened to 600-700 pages then I think it would have been a better experience. It took me a long time to slog through it.

Faiz

Is there no shadows of self thread? Finished it yesterday and looking for somewhere to talk about it!!

We can talk about it here I guess, heh. If there's not an overall cosmere OT by December I'll claim it and have it up before Bands of Mourning releases in January. With all the interconnections I think it would behoove us to have an OT for the whole meta series.

Sanderson did a fine job with finishing the Wheel of Time series. Was very enjoyable to read.

Will have to check this series out when I get some free time .... when I'm 60

Yeah, I've never read Sanderson, but just finished the Wheel of Time in a rush, going through the last three books in a month and a half. I could tell a difference in tone that I appreciated though.

Think I'm too emotionally worn out to read anything else right now, but the next series will probably be this.

Jag

Brandon Sanderson and Joe Abercrombie today in London.
ax1UF3f.jpg

It's a good time to be a Fantasy fan.

I shall use the recent bumps this old thread got to voice my love for this book. So, SO good! Some top tier anime studio should get the rights for this and make one totally awesome season per book.

We can talk about it here I guess, heh. If there's not an overall cosmere OT by December I'll claim it and have it up before Bands of Mourning releases in January. With all the interconnections I think it would behoove us to have an OT for the whole meta series.

A Cosmere OT would be pretty nice, I think, especially since the connections are getting more overt.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I could throw a Cosmere OT up this weekend, would love to see everyone's thoughts on SoS or the Cosmere in general. How do you all think spoilers should be handled in the thread?

The tricky thing about Brandon's books is that they're not meant to be read in any particular way outside of specific series, so a "no spoilers for the latest book" policy doesn't really cover enough, IMO. People go through the Cosmere stuff in all kinds of orders...

So I vote for people having to label their posts with the book(s) they're discussing and then spoiler tagging any specific events/speculation.

I shall use the recent bumps this old thread got to voice my love for this book. So, SO good! Some top tier anime studio should get the rights for this and make one totally awesome season per book.

Hell yeah! People talk about movie adaptations all the time, but I still maintain that an animated series would be the best way to bring SA to life. It's already anime-as-hell anyways (ridiculous eye/hair colors, giant swords, awesome action scenes), and a lot of people around Brandon (Peter Ahlstrom, Ben McSweeney, etc.) are big anime fans. :p

I definitely think animation would be the way to go for adaptation of his work but I wouldn't want it to be an Anime studio per say, as it seems like those studios have very odd ways of adapting (filler arcs, sub-contracting studios, less tendency to longer series). An Anime-style of art would be cool though. Similar to Nickelodeons Avatar shows.

Epcott

A Cosmere OT would be pretty nice, I think, especially since the connections are getting more overt.

Agreed, we can discuss the connected books there. Currently enjoying Shadows of Self.

I wonder if the Reckoners world is related to the Cosmere?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed, we can discuss the connected books there. Currently enjoying Shadows of Self.

I wonder if the Reckoners world is related to the Cosmere?

Any works taking place on Earth (so Reckoners, Rithmatist, Alcatraz) plus the Infinity Blade books are explicitly not part of the Cosmere, since it's an entirely separate universe.

Still, I'm sure people would be down to discuss some Reckoners in the Cosmere OT, since there's alot of overlap in readership and they're fun reads too.

LProtag

A Cosmere OT would be cool.

I enjoyed Shadows of Self a great deal, and I'm glad that Bands of Mourning is coming out in just a few months. The wait on the final in the trilogy (quadrilogy, really, I guess) will probably feel super long in comparison.

Faiz

Any works taking place on Earth (so Reckoners, Rithmatist, Alcatraz) plus the Infinity Blade books are explicitly not part of the Cosmere, since it's an entirely separate universe.

Still, I'm sure people would be down to discuss some Reckoners in the Cosmere OT, since there's alot of overlap in readership and they're fun reads too.

To he honest I'd rather a Cosmere OT be Cosmere only. I'd be afraid discussion of non-Cosmere books in a Cosmere OT would only further confuse people. otherwise it's a Sanderson OT not a Cosmere OT.

But that's just me - if others disagree I won't argue the point.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Cosmere OT is up!

Any suggestions for changes or additional info that should be included in the first post are welcome.

To he honest I'd rather a Cosmere OT be Cosmere only. I'd be afraid discussion of non-Cosmere books in a Cosmere OT would only further confuse people. otherwise it's a Sanderson OT not a Cosmere OT.

But that's just me - if others disagree I won't argue the point.
Fair enough! It does get confusing enough already trying to explain it all and there's plenty of material to be discussed within the Cosmere alone. I guess we'll just see where the discussion goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom