• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Domestic Terrorist in Austin, TX Neutralized

The suspect in a spate of bombings that terrorized residents of Austin, Texas, died early Wednesday after detonating an explosive inside his vehicle as a SWAT team tried to apprehend him on the side of a highway, officials said.

Authorities had tracked the suspect — a 24-year-old white man — to a hotel in Round Rock, a city in the Austin metropolitan area, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said at a news conference.

Police did not name the bomber, but two law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation identified him to NBC News as Mark Anthony Conditt.

Obviously, I'm glad to know that the bomber will no longer be active. Once the proper authorities perform the necessary investigation to find if there are any more bombs, motives, accomplices (if any), etc., as he will be profiled, I'm hoping to find why he targeted who he targeted.

source

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Hmm. Will be interesting to learn about his background and motivation. It was a weird way to go about killing people.

Mohonky

Was there any concensus on why the targets were chosen? From memory I thought I read the first few were specifically sent to black recipients, but a later one was on a trip wire which seems more aimed at completre randoms.

Good to hear its over anyway.

Dubloon7

Banned
this is just a aimed, named suspect. they did not confirm with hard evidence he WAS the one to do this crap, but more than likely will jsut say 'yes he was the one" to ease the surrounding community. watch if more of these issues arise in the area

Mohonky

this is just a aimed, named suspect. they did not confirm with hard evidence he WAS the one to do this crap, but more than likely will jsut say 'yes he was the one" to ease the surrounding community. watch if more of these issues arise in the area
He did blow himself up, that would be a hell.of a coincidence if it WASNT him.

Dubloon7

Banned
but so far it IS just a coincidence. Here in Seattle there was a prepper who holed himself up in the woods near Snoqualmie and he had explosives too.

Zoe

They had him as a suspect before the Fedex incident. He purchased the materials at the local Home Depot and had suspicious Google searches. His Fedex trip was the nail in the coffin.

SIGH.

Like...I get that Neo-NeoGAF values discussion and all that, but at a certain point, you have to expect that some folks are willing to put in their own work so that it is not left to everyone else to get them up to speed.

Take your pick:

http://time.com/5207936/austin-texas-bombing-suspect-dead/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...is-vehicle-police-say/?utm_term=.81a6d5216af5

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...what-we-know-about-the-austin-bombing-suspect

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/21/us/mark-anthony-conditt-austin-bomber.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...thony-conditt-austin-serial-bomber/444738002/

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Obviously, I'm glad to know that the bomber will no longer be active. Once the proper authorities perform the necessary investigation to find if there are any more bombs, motives, accomplices (if any), etc., as he will be profiled, I'm hoping to find why he targeted who he targeted.

source

Thanks for the update Phoenix. <3

WaPo said:
Austin Mayor Steve Adler said his city was breathing a sigh of relief after multiple days of terror.

“They are confident that they have someone who has been responsible for these bombs going off,” he said on the “Today” show. “As a community we’re just really relieved and just incredibly thankful for this army of law enforcement that has been in our community here for the last week or so.”
Steve Adler: "Phew, what a relief."
WaPo said:
“We don’t know if there are any other bombs out there and if so, how many and where they may be,” Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) said Wednesday morning on “Fox and Friends.” “Because this individual, either by mail or by placement or whatever the case may be, may have put other bombs out there.”
Greg Abbott: "REMAIN TERRORIZED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, CITIZENS. YOU COULD BE WALKING TO YOUR MAILBOX AND THEN...BAM, YOU EXPLODE. YOUR CHILDREN ARE AT SCHOOL...BAM, THEY EXPLODE TOO. THEN YOUR CHILDREN WILL BE DEAD, PEOPLE. THEY'RE MAKING LITTLE CHILDREN COFFINS AND PUTTING YOUR CHILDREN IN THERE AND EVERYONE'S CRYING AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE SAFE. THERE IS NO SAFETY. ONLY DEATH. REMEMBER THAT."
WaPo said:
President Trump cheered the fate of the suspect in a tweet early Wednesday, saying, “AUSTIN BOMBING SUSPECT IS DEAD. Great job by law enforcement and all concerned!”
POTUS: "WE DID IT!!!!!!!! I love the FBI. Such magnificent people, and they love me just as much. Maybe more. I'm glad we can be here cooperating fully and stopping terrorists hand in hand keeping America safe from bombs, enforcing laws together."

Last edited:
Where did you find this information? Or are you just ASSuming?

They are just making assumptions based off a school assignment where the bomber said he opposed gay marriage, abortion, and the sex offender registry.

In other words, he disagreed with them on politics, so they believe that means he killed for "extremist" ideological reasons. Even though the views he held are held by 30-50% of the country, issue to issue.

In the other forum, you have one poster ranting about how the bomber did this because, paraphrasing, being homeschooled made him hate minorities. The poster justifies this by saying he would have ended up the same. Not surprising.

The politicization of violence annoys the shit out of me.

Last edited:

lachesis

I'm glad it's over. Apparently according to ABC News feed that I skimmed through on my phone - says he has made 25 min video?

Such horrible state of humanity, indeed. Yesterday when they said "they still have no lead" on TV, I hope they were lying to trick the bomber - I'm glad my assumption was right. Phew.

Looks like he was another Paddock-type:

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/03/21/austin-bomber-describes-bombs-recording/

Chief Manley said Conditt did not mention terrorism or hate, but described the recording as an “outcry of a very challenged young man… I know everybody is interested in a motive and understanding why. And we’re never going to be able to put a (rationale) behind these acts,” Chief Manley said.

The chief said Conditt talked about problems in his personal life in a what Chief Manley called a video confession found on his phone after his death.

It's creepy that we now have the new category or white guys with seemingly fine lives becoming the agents of mass death and chaos. I'd rather find out he was an anti-semite, alt-right, racist, shit-show and place him in that bucket instead of a typical guy suffering from ennui.

It's not really peculiar to white people. Look up the "strange crimes" of Japan in the 80s and 90s.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's creepy that we now have the new category or white guys with seemingly fine lives becoming the agents of mass death and chaos. I'd rather find out he was an anti-semite, alt-right, racist, shit-show and place him in that bucket instead of a typical guy suffering from ennui.

What's the upside of a Police Chief coming out and saying that there was no motive for these bombings?

It's Jeff

Banned

I think you nailed what has me bothered about this, but I couldn't think of the right words. I have a suspicion the people want to be remembered for something, but they don't care why. Seven billion of us are all connected now so I suppose it's so easy to feel small but this is not the way to stand out.

Obviously nobody here has ever acted on these kinds of impulses, but has anyone here, even in passing, had these kinds of thoughts? What were you thinking about?

It's creepy that we now have the new category or white guys with seemingly fine lives becoming the agents of mass death and chaos. I'd rather find out he was an anti-semite, alt-right, racist, ****-show and place him in that bucket instead of a typical guy suffering from ennui.

That would be...convenient...indeed

Folks wouldn't have to second-guess their friends and family...or themselves.

lil puff

This is like when people commit a crime and everyone in the neighborhood always says...

"ohh he was such a nice guy, always said hi"

"was quiet but never bothered anyone, I can't believe it!"

"she offered to shovel my driveway once, she could not have done this"

No one knows what is going on inside the head of others, it doesn't matter what they look like or if they beep their horn at you on the block.

Thizz

Banned
Another case of white terrorism. We need to do something about this as a society before it eats us alive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom