• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING NEWS!!!11 ( Kameo )

gunstarhero

In a shocking twist of race, Kameo has gone from a shiny, gay FAIRY to.... a shiny gay ELF! :p

Thats it.

Reported in IGN

We're informed that Kameo is no longer a fairy but rather an elf, which we can swallow well enough, and the addition of new moves to her arsenal is an excellent idea.

Actually, the game is sounding good from what I read on IGN -

gunstarhero

010885.jpeg

"Elves. They're so hot right now. Elves."

Brannon

Will Ferrell will make a 'Kameo' appearance I gather?

Yeah, that's right; I can make those godawful jokes just like any other game journalist :p

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Kameo has been in development for about four years now, I think...

SuperPac

This is the best thing that could've happened to this game. Seriously. It was doomed to failure with the fairy.

belgurdo

Banned
SuperPac said:
This is the best thing that could've happened to this game. Seriously. It was doomed to failure with the fairy.

What was wrong with her being a fairy? Besides, changing her clothes and occassionally hiding her wings isn't much of a major change...

Culex

Banned
She would have been better off as a female fairy than a female elf. This change isn't for the better.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
She would have been better off as a female fairy than a female elf. This change isn't for the better.

LMAO

If DecisionMaker == Rare && DecisionMakerOwner != Nintendo {

Decision = Bad

}

Else { Who gives a shit
}

Seriously, who gives a shit.

Ranger X

Tritroid said:
Because since LotR, Elves are IN baby.

Agree 100% with you. There is simply not other reasons i'm sure. It's not a big change it's just that it give less chances to receive bad talking by some lame gamers because in their casual head it reads: "Fairies are gay and for Nintendo". And also "Elfs are cool"

I'm even surprised she's not becoming a Dark Elf. This kind of character is on a roll since a couple of years.

Culex

Banned
Ghost said:
LMAO

If DecisionMaker == Rare && DecisionMakerOwner != Nintendo {

Decision = Bad

}

Else { Who gives a shit
}

Seriously, who gives a shit.

Nah, as Nvidia's dawn has proven about fairies:

Fairies > You

belgurdo

Banned
Culex said:
Nah, as Nvidia's dawn has proven about fairies:

Fairies > You

Yeah, I'd rather play as some flying, death-from-above hurling creature than what is essentially a human with big fucking ears and a slight obsession for the environment...

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Actually, Kameo still looks the same. Rare didn't even mention that she had changed "races" when they gave me the demo. However, this game is looking damn fine. I couldn't believe how much stuff they had added since the E3 build. It's definitely a little edgier now as you can slam enemies down onto the spikes of several of the monsters and keep them there for ammo to throw or use them as a clubbing device. The armadillo will roll through groups of enemies and they will become stuck on its spikes. Some of the boss fights I saw were incredible. My anticipation for Kameo went up about 300 percent.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
ferricide said:
best thing that could have happened to this game = cancellation.

nintendo fan?

actually, kameo got nothing but praise from the e3 demo, and all recent media looks fucking awesome (the "afro tree" boss). i can understand people not digging the art (i agree, its not that great for the most part), but the gameplay looks hot.

Koshiro

Kameo was a great Western character, then Microsoft poked their nose in and messed her up. Microsoft are far too heavy handed with their developers, it needs to stop.

Rhindle

SuperPac said:
They might as well have changed her gender while they were at it. I can't think of any game with a (third-person) female protagonist that has done well, other than Tomb Raider I guess.

belgurdo

Banned
Rhindle said:
They might as well have changed her gender while they were at it. I can't think of any game with a (third-person) female protagonist that has done well, other than Tomb Raider I guess.

Bloodrayne?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Kameo is basically orchid from killer instinct in the looks department now, looks fine to me.

I can see why they took made her an elf too, as a fairy she had wings but couldnt really do anything other than hover, that would have been highly frustrating, when you have wings you wanna fly. So rather than letting Kameo fly and completly changing the concept of the game (platformer with a character who can fly = pointless...unless your Spyro), they took the wings away (for the most part) and made her an elf instead (because if you have a fairy drawing and take away the wings..what do you have? Thats right an elf). And Elves wear green so shes wear green so.....it's not "Microsoft being heavy handed" its just good design.

satterfield said:
Actually, Kameo still looks the same. Rare didn't even mention that she had changed "races" when they gave me the demo. However, this game is looking damn fine. I couldn't believe how much stuff they had added since the E3 build. It's definitely a little edgier now as you can slam enemies down onto the spikes of several of the monsters and keep them there for ammo to throw or use them as a clubbing device. The armadillo will roll through groups of enemies and they will become stuck on its spikes. Some of the boss fights I saw were incredible. My anticipation for Kameo went up about 300 percent.

Are you THE Shane Satterfield? The new devoloper interview from Gamespot was amazing. If you say the the game looks damn fine then I believe this news. :)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Rhindle said:

I've heard of this little Nintendo franchise called Metroid which has a female protagonist. I think it's a little popular, too. </sarcasm>

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Yeah, it's me. As another side note, I asked Rare about how you used to be able to see Kameo inside the monsters working them like a marionette. They said they really loved the idea, but that once they decided on all 10 monsters that would be in the final game they realized that many of them were too small to have Kameo inside them. Rare also changed the level design a little. Once you beat up a certain number of enemies the game goes into slow motion Matrix style. You can use this to further pummel the enemies or to get past areas where there's collapsing geometry a la Prince of Persia. Based upon what I've played, the gameplay is miles beyond Star Fox Adventures, which is certainly a good thing. You also capture the monsters a lot differently now, which is also good considering how stupid it used to be.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
They should have put Kameo in the smaller monsters too, only she'd be all squashed and twisted and you'd be able to see her screaming.

ferricide

op_ivy said:
nintendo fan?
not especially. i just dislike rare. and i was being facetious.

i saw kameo a few days ago and it compelled me to write a blog entry about how arse the character design is, but it was lost in the maelstrom of the 1up launch. IMO rare seems to have retrofitted all of this x-tremeness on kameo after realizing it was too teh kiddie for xbox. it will probably turn out to be a decent game, but the art direction is mostly shit and it probably cost MS ridiculous amounts of money to retool the game so much and finish its development... and it's not going to make that money back, i think.

belgurdo

Banned
ferricide said:
not especially. i just dislike rare. and i was being facetious.

i saw kameo a few days ago and it compelled me to write a blog entry about how arse the character design is, but it was lost in the maelstrom of the 1up launch. IMO rare seems to have retrofitted all of this x-tremeness on kameo after realizing it was too teh kiddie for xbox. it will probably turn out to be a decent game, but the art direction is mostly shit and it probably cost MS ridiculous amounts of money to retool the game so much and finish its development... and it's not going to make that money back, i think.

"Extremeness?" All they did was change her clothes from pink/white to green and put a couple of marks on her face. Then again, anything's fair game in a "I hate Rare" post, I guess.

Meier

Okay, I just watched the video.. I cant believe they removed the flying from Kameo -- everything in her moveset revolved around it. Sadly, this game won't sell well regardless -- why take out one of the unique things about it? Oh well.. still looking forward to it with cautious optimism, even if I was a bit disappointed with the E3 demo.

Meier said:
Okay, I just watched the video.. I cant believe they removed the flying from Kameo -- everything in her moveset revolved around it. Sadly, this game won't sell well regardless -- why take out one of the unique things about it? Oh well.. still looking forward to it with cautious optimism, even if I was a bit disappointed with the E3 demo.

Watch the new Gamespot video, she is flying throughout the whole thing. Don't be such a Gloomy Gus, Rare appears to be back in top form. :)

ferricide

belgurdo said:
"Extremeness?" All they did was change her clothes from pink/white to green and put a couple of marks on her face. Then again, anything's fair game in a "I hate Rare" post, I guess.
um, i've played it in its various stages of evolution. it went from a friendly quest type action RPG done up in pastel colors to a 'kick ass' sort of combat oriented game that's trying to be all dark and sinister. it's a very obvious coat of paint... in fact, the dude from rare was pretty forthcoming in admitting that.

i explained the reasons i think the game would be better off dead, which are not simply "i hate rare."

microsoft doesn't have the business sense to kill this game, which nobody will buy, but instead pumps it full of money while it gets twisted into something it never was to try and appeal to an audience that isn't interested in what it originally was -- seemingly to try and justify the existence of rare. it would be nice if they could have preserved psychonauts and other cancelled titles (which, like 90% of first party MS games, nobody would buy either) just out of the sake of being interesting and progressive.

i don't like rare because they don't seem to contribute much and live in a horrid symbiotic relationship with microsoft, costing insane amounts of money and producing nothing anywhere near as valuable as the ludicrous outflow of cash. unless i'm completely off base, they're directly resposnible for making first party xbox significantly more boring.

all of this said kameo may well be a decent game. i just think that rare has a bizarre and otherwise untenable position that makes them incredibly irritating. plus their art direction is shit. lovely visual effects however.

Poona

I'm still trying to figure out if her sidekick, Meepo the purple dragon has been killed off, given a new form or we just haven't been seeing him in the new media anymore.

gunstarhero said:
In a shocking twist of race, Kameo has gone from a shiny, gay FAIRY to.... a shiny gay ELF! :p

Thats it.

This is fairly old news TBH... at least several siest reported Kameo to be an "elf" back at E3 (see http://games.kikizo.com/news/200405/050.asp) - those who have been following the game closely (i.e. most of us) may also remember that in one of those Kikizo videos (the Rare walkthrough one) she is stated as being an "elf and princess" right at the beginning.

Top Bottom