• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

breath of fire III PSP screens!

CO_Andy

I'm purely speaking about the general concensus here.

I like Breath of Fire 4, probably better than 3. Haven't played 5 yet though.

Reilly

Red Scarlet said:
Isn't 3 regarded as the worst one? Or is that 4? Or am I just imagining things?

I thought 4 was terrible. The only thing worth playing it for is:

scias7xo.jpg

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I actually loved Breath of Fire 5 AKA Dragon Quarter

The whole time limit thing was a pain in the ass and the SOL system but once you get used to it and learn how to manage the dragon powers, it becomes very enjoyable.

Shouta

Razoric said:
Wtf is that? :lol

Scias, Samurai dog and the "wise older guy" of the group as I recall. He's actually very cool and one of the better characters in BOF4.

Red Scarlet said:
Isn't 3 regarded as the worst one? Or is that 4? Or am I just imagining things?

Depends on who you ask. This would be how I would rate them.

Best overall = BOF2 and BOF3
Best gameplay = BOF4 and BOF5
Best characters = BOF2
Best/Most interesting scenario = BOF4 and BOF5
Best Story = BOF 1, 2, & 3 (This is because all 3 games actually interconnect)

Drek

CO_Andy said:
I'm purely speaking about the general concensus here.

I like Breath of Fire 4, probably better than 3. Haven't played 5 yet though.
The GAF Concensus on BoF 5: Dragon Quarter was hardly that it was one of the worst in the series, in fact, I had many discussions on here back when it came out about how it was the most innovative RPG in a long time and while a major departure from the series was a kick ass game in itself.

To me, BoF5 was the best one to date. 4 sucked, was painfully generic. 1&2 were pretty old school RPG, read, rather generic too but nostalgia helps polish them up now. BoF3 was pretty good. Not an RPG that'll make you crap your pants, but if you're looking for an enjoyable RPG to play on your PSP you could do a lot worse.

Amir0x

Banned
I hated Breath of Fire 3. Stupid wandering desert by the stars. Stupid dumb
kill God and start new storyline
. Horrible elevator music overworld. But if they make BoF5 portable, I am sold x3.

BlueTsunami

Amir0x said:
But if they make BoF5 portable, I am sold x3.

BoF5 would be PERFECT as a portable game. Given its type of gameplay and how you can turn it on and go through the game quickly and raise your dragon ratio, it has that pick up and play type of feel. I totally advocate the suggestion of a BoF5 PSP game.

Link1110

I hope 2 things about this:

1) It's not another "Europe and Japan only" game (Like Tales of Eternia,) though because of importing, this won't bother me as much as....
2) They BETTER make the text scroll faster.

MrDaravon

My opinion:

BoF 1 - Good.
BoF 2 - Great/Awesome!
BoF 3 - Arguably the most boring game I've ever played, and what the FUCK at the soundtrack. Great sprites though.
BoF 4 - Haven't played, 3 turned me off to the series.
BoF 5 - Turned me back onto the series, one of the best games this gen hands down, fuck the haters.

And just to clarify, there's nothing new on the PSP release of this right?

Can someone explain the appeal of BoF 2 to me? That's the only game in the series I played and I completed the whole game and was bored to death the whole time. Granted, I did not play it for the SNES, but I grabbed the GBA version for 5 bucks - and I actually thought I overpaid. Did the game not age well or am I missing something? Just seems so generic... no personality at all.

MoxManiac

It does look nice, but BOF3 was/is a snorefest.

I'd love for a Dragon Quarter style BOF on PSP.

Can someone explain the appeal of BoF 2 to me? That's the only game in the series I played and I completed the whole game and was bored to death the whole time. Granted, I did not play it for the SNES, but I grabbed the GBA version for 5 bucks - and I actually thought I overpaid. Did the game not age well or am I missing something? Just seems so generic... no personality at all.

I think it's nostalga. I remember having these great memories of BoF2 way back when it came out, only for them to be shattered when I recently aquired the GBA version. I don't know what I was thinking - the game is atrocious. I was even more mystified that Capcom USA -kept- their original SNES translation, which might be the worst RPG translation I've ever played.

MoxManiac said:
I think it's nostalga.
That might be it, but so many people seem so SURE that BoF 2 is an awesome game. Are all of these people basing this on memories from 10 years ago? I thought for sure someone must've played the game recently.

I was even more mystified that Capcom USA -kept- their original SNES translation, which might be the worst RPG translation I've ever played.
Oh yes! Half the time the translation didn't make any sense whatsoever. I can't believe I forgot that so soon... having just played it last year. Guess that's case in point: time fogs your memories and distorts reality.

BlueTsunami

I actually like BoF3 on the first play. The colors and the scenery (artwork) were refreshing to me. I also liked the characters. I'm not sure if I can run through it again but making it portable and being able to play this game when i'm out and about will make it more appealing to play through again.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Smooth jazz soundtrack = infinitely more interesting than another generic buttrock/orchestral RPG soundtrack

BOF3 was a damn long and fulfilling game, too bad it got out of hand with some of the fetch quests,
feeding the mayor
in particular.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Another thing. For the people that loved BOF 3. Dont you already own the game? Why the hell would you buy it again?

Pimpwerx

BoF3 sucks. There...I said it. I owned this game. I played 40hours into this game about 3 or 4 times, and always quit around the same spot. This just isn't a very compelling or interesting game. It's the only BoF game I've played, so if it's actually a good one, then it doesn't speak well for the rest of the series. I was suprised to read the thread title, which is why I clicked on it. I didn't expect them to port such an underwhelming game. All IMO. But this game ain't worth a fart. It's not bad, but considering I'd had FF7, Wild Arms and a few others on the PSX, and then Vagrant Story to finish off my PS1 RPG fix, this game couldn't carry their jockstraps. PEACE.

Soul4ger

Is this coming to North America, or just Europe? And if Europe only, where can I purchase European imports from the United States? I want that Tales of Eternia localization, too.

Matix said:
No FF7: Crisis Core, Generation Of Chaos, Y's, Suikoden, Ore No Dungeon, Level 5's RPG, Tales Of Eternia, Tales Of ******, PSP MMORPG, Landstalker, Legend Of Heroes 1, Legend Of Heroes 2, Monster Kingdom, Magna Carta, Princess Crown, etc... ?! If BOF 3 is the only PSP RPG your antcipating, than thats just sad :(.

None of those sound very appealing to me unless Level 5's game is more like DQ8 than the Dark Cloud games. BoF3 is tempting, though.

Error2k4 said:
whoever played BoFV is that game good? there is a copy at my local EB for 15 bucks.
Yes, yes, YES! Frankly, I'm surprised more people haven't jumped all over you about getting it. Last time I checked, the game has quite the cult following around these parts.

I actually just recently started playing it (with the bulk of my playtime being over Thanksgiving break), and, with around 5 hours on the clock so far, I'm having a blast. The combat system works very well; it's not only engaging, but, unlike most RPGs, it actually encourages/rewards skill and the use of strategy before and during battles. Think Vagrant Story.

Some may be put off by the SOL Restart/Restore system, but--for jaded gamers like myself, at least--it's a breath of fresh air in a genre that's otherwise plagued by a general lack of innovation.

BlueTsunami

I found my copy of BoF5 off of EBay for like $20 (mint condition). I had rented it before and beat it but I just bought it just for the hell of it. I plan on sinking my teeth and getting deeper into the game eventualy.

If you see this game for cheap, I recommend getting it.

Matix said:
No FF7: Crisis Core, Generation Of Chaos, Y's, Suikoden, Ore No Dungeon, Level 5's RPG, Tales Of Eternia, Tales Of ******, PSP MMORPG, Landstalker, Legend Of Heroes 1, Legend Of Heroes 2, Monster Kingdom, Magna Carta, Princess Crown, etc... ?! If BOF 3 is the only PSP RPG your antcipating, than thats just sad :(.
it's a bit too early to be excited about crisis core and the level 5 rpg, I don't really consider any of the rest a reson to buy a psp

BoF5 is the best RPG of the generation! Fuck the haters who can go fuck themselves! I'm sorry you don't like good games! WHINE WHINE WHINE, NO INNS WHINE WHINE. Aww, poor baby has to pay attention to what he's doing, sniffle wiffle.

silenttwn

JackFrost2012 said:
BoF5 is the best RPG of the generation! Fuck the haters who can go fuck themselves! I'm sorry you don't like good games! WHINE WHINE WHINE, NO INNS WHINE WHINE. Aww, poor baby has to pay attention to what he's doing, sniffle wiffle.

QTF. All haters are pussies. The battle system in BoFV is fucking awesome.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
BOFV = innovation. BOFIII = polished version of age-old mechanics. They're both enjoyable in their own way, but I found III to be marred by the tedium of status effects (too many battles where you'd get hit by crippling status effects from the start by monsters that could barely damage you, so that you spent ages fighting a trivial battle). V was one of the top RPGs this generation IMO, because it dared to do something different and did it well - not innovation for its own sake, but because it actually gave an enjoyable playing experience. BOF V FTW.

Top Bottom