• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

breath of fire III PSP screens!

mint

Banned
screen1_large.jpg
screen2_large.jpg
screen3_large.jpg
screen4_large.jpg
screen5_large.jpg
screen6_large.jpg
screen7_large.jpg
screen8_large.jpg
screen9_large.jpg
screen10_large.jpg
screen11_large.jpg
screen12_large.jpg

boxshot_uk_large.jpg

Unison

This has barely dated at all. 2d rocks.

I hope the load times are a non-issue. They were a bit long for my liking on the PS1 version at times.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The sad part is... of all the PSP games... this is the only one that interests me at all.

Well, still not worth the money though.

Matlock

Banned
I look at those, and I'm seeing something that would look a lot better with sharper sprites--as is, that's just blurry as hell.

Whatever filtering they're using is not working at all.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I don't remember unlocking Fishing Areas in that way

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Breathe of Fire III, I think, was my favorite. I burnt out my original PSX playing this game for like, 7 hours straight. Followed closely by 2 and then 1.

4 was crap. I loved the series, but I couldn't bother to even finish 4. Big dissapointment.

Breath of Fire 5 was dissapointing too. It was too out there - I got to the last dungeon twice, couldn't beat it, and stopped playing. I liked the attempt at being unique - its a shame the game didnt sell, hell it was better than 4, but there was just something about it that made it so unlike the BoF series, as a BoF fan it didnt sit well with me.

Heres hoping they do a 6!

Mashing

This is the only BoF game I've played and I enjoyed it a lot. That FONT SIZE has to go though. That font looks ok on a TV but it looks like complete ass in those screenshots. Way to big. And if I'm not mistaken that Ariel font right? Horrible.

Other than that it looks ace.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
best Breath of Fire, those pictures bring nice memories. the Dragon gene system rocked, awesome story and characters. and the 2d yum yum.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
whoever played BoFV is that game good? there is a copy at my local EB for 15 bucks.

I can't really decide whether I enjoyed 3 or 4 more, but both were disappointements after part 2.

Breath of Fire 3 is a decent rpg with decent mechanics, a decent story that ties closely into Breath of Fire 1, and a decent, but mostly boring cast (save Rei and Momo). It also has a crybaby Ryu and an annoying, mentally challenged Nina who lacked the depth of the Ninas from 2 and 4 but had not a whit of the charm of the first Nina. Also, Deis (Bleu) is not playable, unlike 1,2, and 4. I wish I could have played as Teepo in Ryu's place.

Part 4 streamlined the mechanics and improved on the story and graphics, but much of the game was recycled from 3. Sprites were much larger and had fantastic animation. The towns were large and complex with tall structures and cool focus effects. The main dragon transformation was pretty cool and Fou Lu was awesomefor most of the game. The story was fairly original for a JRPG, but the ending seemed to set up for a sequel and left much unresolved. My main issued was that part 3 was easy, but part 4 had no challenge at all...ever.

Breath of Fire 2 and 5 are the only games in the series I consider worth owning, although 2 has been aped by many games since and has not really aged all that well. At the time it was something very special.

Still, those graphics sure look pretty.

B.K.

Has Capcom ever said anything about an American release yet, or is it still only a European release?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
B.K. said:
Has Capcom ever said anything about an American release yet, or is it still only a European release?
PSP games aren't region protected. if it is in english it is playable by americans (and canadians).

Gigglepoo

Mmmmmm... purty...

Portable systems are best for RPGs, puzzle games and platformers. Now the PSP just needs a few more puzzle games and platformers and its all set.

jett

D-Member
BOF3 is awesome. Hataz can go suck it. It's surprising to see that it still looks so good, considering it's a straight PS1 port. :p

Xiaoki

Yes, you could import from Europe and have no problems but that's not the point. It's just not the same as going to the local EB and buying it and seeing other people buy this great RPG as well.

Hopefully, Capcom is just waiting to see if RPGs like Legend of Heroes, Kingdom of Paradise and Popolocrois sell to make sure there is a market for RPGs on PSP in the US. Then, they just need to give it some bad box art and ship it off.

If Capcom doesn't bring it to the US(and Namco with Tales of Eternia) much fist shaking will be had.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Xiaoki said:
Yes, you could import from Europe and have no problems but that's not the point. It's just not the same as going to the local EB and buying it and seeing other people buy this great RPG as well.

ummmmmm.... ok.. I gues. I really don't care what other people are buying but that;s just me I guess.

Hopefully, Capcom is just waiting to see if RPGs like Legend of Heroes, Kingdom of Paradise and Popolocrois sell to make sure there is a market for RPGs on PSP in the US. Then, they just need to give it some bad box art and ship it off.
hopefully not. I have a feeling those games won't see anywhere near "decent" sales.

edit - the reason I think they won't see great sales is because RPGs definitely DO NOT appeal to the casual gamer generally (too anime) and the reviews Kingdom and Legend have been getting are far from glowing and from what I know about the JPN ver of Popo those won't be glowing either. meaning the people who will be buying them.. saavy gamers, will know about the "ok" reviews. the first hit RPG the PSP stands to have (in the states that is) is Ys, and that is only if the deficiencies of the US PS2 version are remedied.

Izzy

Banned
Breath of Fire III is due for release on February 10th, with Street Fighter 3 Alpha MAX following on February 24th. Monster Hunter Freedom is out on March 31st. All for PSP.

Capcom just loves Europe! :D

Matix

..pakbeka.. said:
I can't believe it, the only game that's tempting me to buy a psp is a port of a 8 years old rpg

No FF7: Crisis Core, Generation Of Chaos, Y's, Suikoden, Ore No Dungeon, Level 5's RPG, Tales Of Eternia, Tales Of ******, PSP MMORPG, Landstalker, Legend Of Heroes 1, Legend Of Heroes 2, Monster Kingdom, Magna Carta, Princess Crown, etc... ?! If BOF 3 is the only PSP RPG your antcipating, than thats just sad :(.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Do NOT get this shit RPG people. The game fucking sux. This is not opinion...This is fact. if you arent ready to kill yerself after the desert of death , somethings very wrong with you. There is no Free Walk Map like Final Fantasy, the Story is so fucking boring, the music is terrible, and the characters are so drab save for Rei and those two horses. Once again, the worst BOF game ever.

Reilly

Orin GA said:
Do NOT get this shit RPG people. The game fucking sux. This is not opinion...This is fact. if you arent ready to kill yerself after the desert of death , somethings very wrong with you. There is no Free Walk Map like Final Fantasy, the Story is so fucking boring, the music is terrible, and the characters are so drab save for Rei and those two horses. Once again, the worst BOF game ever.

The desert of death is easy
turn right once then go straight the whole way

There is a free walk map like FF, not sure what you're talking about. If you hate this game, fine whatever, but I think it's one of the best RPG's on the PSone.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I mean to say there is no real overworld. You walk to point A, click, and then you enter some area, like Super Mario RPG

ss_smrpg_map.gif

The desert of death is easy
turn right once then go straight the whole way

Wrong. Sometimes after the fights the game will reposition your character.

XenoId said:
does anybody know if konami changed their minds about suikoden being a jap release only?

I don't think they've made a real decision on it. That list that people are basing it on also said WE PSP was Japan only even though its going to be released in Europe soon.

Reilly

Orin GA said:
I mean to say there is no real overworld. You walk to point A, click, and then you enter some area, like Super Mario RPG

ss_smrpg_map.gif

How is that any different than the FF overworld?

Reilly

Orin GA said:
Because the FF world map is actually explorable. Everything isnt laid out before you.

You can explore in BoF3 too. There's hidden areas that contain genes, masters, fishing spots, and items. The only difference between the two I see is that you get random encounters in the FF overworld and none in BoF3

CO_Andy

No, that's an old dragon transformation Reilly, a hybrid if i'm not mistaken (who uses combustion).

BoF3 is probably the best in the series, or at least the most known one. Can we please get an expanded ending? And... Can we get an adult Nina sprite that actually matches her artwork?

Reilly

CO_Andy said:
No, that's an old dragon transformation Reilly, a hybrid if i'm not mistaken (who uses combustion).

I've played BoF3 four times and I've never seen that combination ever. :lol

B.K.

borghe said:
PSP games aren't region protected. if it is in english it is playable by americans (and canadians).

I know that. I'll probably be importing this and Tales of Eternia. I just wish there was an American release for it. That would be easier and cheaper to get.

Top Bottom