• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brett Easton Ellis on what Donald Trump did to his boyfriend (video game-related)

Chiggs

Read this last night and thought it was pretty funny.

In all seriousness, I hope Ellis' boyfriend is okay. Final Fantasy XV is an absolute piece of shit.

“But what was happening to the person I’d been living with for almost seven years reflected the epidemic of moral superiority that was also engulfing and destroying a faction on the Left. During the months after the election I could count the number of times my inconsolable boyfriend had left the condo—and didn’t need more than two hands to tally them up. His hair became long and tousled, he hadn’t shaved for months, and he also developed three nonopiate addictions: Russian conspiracies as discussed on Reddit, Rachel Maddow detailing Russian conspiracy theories on MSNBC, and playing Final Fantasy XV.”

Excerpt From: Bret Easton Ellis. “White.”

Last edited:

Shifty

Just the thing to console you after an unfavourable election result.

I've come up with a new recipah~

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Brett Easton Ellis is gay? I didn’t know that.

Makes me look at American Psycho in a new light.

I honestly can not understand the vitriol Trump inspires. He has been an average president at worst, excellent on some things (economy) and poor on others (reigning in the war boner of the US). On most social issues he is far and away better than Bush was, with the only egregious social conservative position of the Trump administration being banning trans people from serving.

You'd think he let a terrorist attack happen due to (charitably) negligence, or regular droned US citizens, or usurped BoR protections by the way people act. The worst thing he has done is just continue the war policy of Bush and Obama, so by default he cannot be worse than them.

HyGogg

Banned
I honestly can not understand the vitriol Trump inspires.
Really? It's literally the only reason he got a single vote.

Regardless of if he's really "as bad as people say," his sole appeal has been as the Troll President. He has absolutely zero qualifications, experience, or demonstrable competencies, other than being really good at pissing off the sort of people that conservatives like to see pissed off.

He has been an average president at worst, excellent on some things (economy) and poor on others (reigning in the war boner of the US
I think it's important to distinguish between "Hasn't managed to crash an already strong economy yet" (something that would have been nigh impossible) with "implemented policy that benefitted the economy."

Every single piece of economic policy he's implemented has been a miserable failure. The only economic indicators he seems to recognize is the trade deficit (which is dumb) and the actual deficit, and he's somehow managed to widen both with his shitty trade "deals" and broken tax policy. Just because these things haven't caught up to the employment rate yet does not mean he's been "excellent on the economy." That's fucking dumb.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
The election of that corrupt dipshit has convinced me that i.q tests and competency exams should be mandatory before people are allowed to vote. I saw a Trump voter just the other week struggling to count her change at a gas station. She stood there with her tongue out trying to add up a few bucks. I wouldn't be surprised if she was one of his brighter supporters.

Vawn

Banned
The election of that corrupt dipshit has convinced me that i.q tests and competency exams should be mandatory before people are allowed to vote. I saw a Trump voter just the other week struggling to count her change at a gas station. She stood there with her tongue out trying to add up a few bucks. I wouldn't be surprised if she was one of his brighter supporters.

Yeah, because you're coming across as a mature, intelligent, level-headed citizen representing the other side.

Winter John

Gold Member
I have been removed from this thread. My points are contradictory and lack basic understanding. I also advocate ignoring the basic human right of voting and wish to remove it from people.
Yeah, because you're coming across as a mature, intelligent, level-headed citizen representing the other side.

kpqsQ6a.jpg

Moneal

No I'm not
The election of that corrupt dipshit has convinced me that i.q tests and competency exams should be mandatory before people are allowed to vote.

Between 1890 and 1910, ten of the eleven former Confederate states, starting with Mississippi, passed new constitutions or amendments that effectively disenfranchised most blacks and tens of thousands of poor whites through a combination of poll taxes, literacy and comprehension tests, and residency and record-keeping requirements.[14][15] Grandfather clauses temporarily permitted some illiterate whites to vote but gave no relief to most blacks.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
yes and? those are Jim Crow laws aren't they? and you were arguing for them correct?

No. You jumped in with a pathetic and ill informed gotcha attempt. Anyone who read my post can clearly see I wasn't advocating a return of Jim Crow laws as they were purely based around keeping black folk down. My post had nothing to do with that, so how about you apologise.

IYAOYAS2019

True story: I work at a smallish company in a rather blue city in a rather red state. 80% of the staff took the rest of the week off after the election.

80%.

Bunch of children.

It’s a book actually.

That is hilarious. I will never understand why people have reactions to elections in that way.

cryogenic7

“But what was happening to the person I’d been living with for almost seven years reflected the epidemic of moral superiority that was also engulfing and destroying a faction on the Left. During the months after the election I could count the number of times my inconsolable boyfriend had left the condo—and didn’t need more than two hands to tally them up. His hair became long and tousled, he hadn’t shaved for months, and he also developed three nonopiate addictions: Russian conspiracies as discussed on Reddit, Rachel Maddow detailing Russian conspiracy theories on MSNBC, and playing Final Fantasy XV.”

Excerpt From: Bret Easton Ellis. “White.”
That is a sad existence. Just wait until his favorite people start going to jail for treason. The hoax is over and the perpetrators will bear the full weight of the law.

Last edited:

bucyou

No. You jumped in with a pathetic and ill informed gotcha attempt. Anyone who read my post can clearly see I wasn't advocating a return of Jim Crow laws as they were purely based around keeping black folk down. My post had nothing to do with that, so how about you apologise.

LOL get caught looking stupid and you double down on the idiocy.

Last edited:

Silent Duck

So people, like this one below, should be the only ones allowed to vote?
hqdefault.jpg

I wouldn’t trust this persons mental faculties to decide the President of a Chess club, let alone decide which Potato becomes the President this country.

Seriously though, you do have a point. There should be a few stipulations for being allowed to vote. One, you should have to pass a competency exam (provided the creator of the exam isn’t the person above). Two, you should only be allowed to vote in a country you legally live in. Three, you must be alive (not dead) and only vote once per election. You would be surprised how many of these seem difficult for people to follow in these elections. And finally, you can’t play Final Fantasy XV (of course, you can’t play FFXV without violating the first point... so this one would be redundant.)

Winter John

Gold Member
So people, like this one below, should be the only ones allowed to vote?
hqdefault.jpg

I wouldn’t trust this persons mental faculties to decide the President of a Chess club, let alone decide which Potato becomes the President this country.

Seriously though, you do have a point. There should be a few stipulations for being allowed to vote. One, you should have to pass a competency exam (provided the creator of the exam isn’t the person above). Two, you should only be allowed to vote in a country you legally live in. Three, you must be alive (not dead) and only vote once per election. You would be surprised how many of these seem difficult for people to follow in these elections. And finally, you can’t play Final Fantasy XV (of course, you can’t play FFXV without violating the first point... so this one would be redundant.)

It don't matter whether someone is a left wing crazy or a right wing crazy. It's the crazy that's the problem. You can see it in this very thread. We got Trump supporters right here that came leaping into this thread and tried to claim I was calling for the return of the Jim Crow laws. I obviously wasn't, but you see that's the problem with stupid people. They don't understand things. Their brains don't work properly and the rest of us have to deal with the repercussions of their stupidity. Trump being elected is the perfect example of that.

Moneal

You argued for a return of jim crow laws. yes the laws were inacted to keep black people down, doesn't change the fact that you were calling for their return, since the voting laws usually didn't include race in the wording. so no apology needed.

Yes, I remember when the Tea Party made similar memes about gay Nazi Muslim atheist Obama coming to steal guns too. Glad to see you guys picked up where the fucking Tea Party left off.

That path will bring you all sorts of success! Have fun fantasizing about Sarah Palin Ocasio-Cortez fucking you being president one day. It is not happening.

Last edited:
The only economic indicators he seems to recognize is the trade deficit (which is dumb) and the actual deficit, and he's somehow managed to widen both with his shitty trade "deals" and broken tax policy.

This alone is completely ignorant of Trump - he cites job numbers and the recent high growth numbers in his Tweets every time the numbers come out. What evidence do you have that he only value the deficit and trade deficit?

HyGogg

Banned
This alone is completely ignorant of Trump - he cites job numbers and the recent high growth numbers in his Tweets every time the numbers come out. What evidence do you have that he only value the deficit and trade deficit?
Meaning those are the only things he's actually talked about in terms of policy. Like yeah, he can take credit for a strong unemployment rate on Twitter but he doesn't really correlate that to anything he's done.

He said his trade policy would shrink the trade deficit and it widened it. He said his tax policy would shrink the deficit and raise revenues, and it has done the opposite. The stock market has lost all of it's momentum, too. Everything be touches turns to shit.

Barring a sudden catastrophic crash, it takes years for these sorts of things to catch up to employment rate, but that doesn't mean it won't or that Trump has been doing a good job on economic policy. That's really a pretty indefensible position at this point. If he's allowed to stay in office he will do irreparable damage to the economy.

Last edited:

Didn't know? Gay authors are often great at being daring and challenging conventions. Both Bret Easton Ellis and Chuck Palahniuk were authors I read a lot of during my teens and I learned they were gay after I learned to love their books. I think it must've been sometime early/mid 00s.

Last edited:

HyGogg

Banned

Yeah, American Psycho is essentially a huge satirical takedown of toxic masculinity. It is amazing to me how that sails over so many people's heads.

Fight Club as well. Uncoincidentally Chuck Pahliniuk is also gay.

I love Ellis' work, but I do get tired of his endless "kids today" diatribes based on his experiences dating younger men. It just comes off like he has a fucked up paternal complex. Taken in the context of his body of personal essays, it's more about the generation gap than it is politics. He's always whinging about whatever 20-something he's fucking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom