• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit: May Set to Defy EU by Opening Pre-Brexit Trade Talks With Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

U.K. officials are preparing to fire the starting gun on trade negotiations with countries outside the European Union within months, defying warnings from the bloc that such action would be illegal.

After Prime Minister Theresa May triggers the formal process for leaving the EU, which she intends to do by the end of March, her team will be free to start trade talks around the world, a senior official said, speaking anonymously about the confidential plans.

The move would directly contradict senior EU politicians, who say Britain cannot legally begin negotiations on trade deals with countries outside Europe until it has left the bloc. Despite this, officials in May's team believe the EU will have no authority to stop the U.K. once the Brexit process has started, and little political appetite for a fight on this issue.

The premier will fly to Washington to meet President Donald Trump this week, with the new U.S. administration preparing the ground for a new trade accord with Britain. Trump's team has signaled that the president wants to strike an early deal with May.

”EU rules mean the U.K. cannot legally begin negotiating a trade deal with the US before the U.K. leaves the EU," said Gregor Irwin, chief economist at Global Counsel in London. Defying the EU would risk ”further souring the relationship with Brussels just as the Brexit negotiations are starting," he said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...-eu-and-open-trade-talks-with-other-countries

Annoy the EU, turn the UK into a tax haven, ally with a demagogue, and hope for scottish independence if old?

Spaghetti

Par for the course. Successive British Governments have long kissed the ass of the United States, it just seems May is looking to get in early.

theaface

BLvkHbg.gif

Turn the already-sour relationship with the EU to ashes right before triggering Article 50. Good job. It's a bold move for negotiations and free trade... let's see how it works out for them...

BahamutPT

From what I understand, it is actually legal for them to negotiate trade agreements as long as they do not materialise before the UK is effectively out of the EU (by the end of the Article 50 process).

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Honestly if we are leaning the eu and clearly now also leaving the single market, who gives a shit if it breaks eu law?

At this point would much rather they get on it and try and negotiate with other countries than just sit on our hands and wait around for two years.

I can understand the necessity for not being able to sign an agreement whilst leaving but to not even negotiate doesn't make sense to me

Jezbollah

From what I understand, it is actually legal for them to negotiate trade agreements as long as they do not materialise before the UK is effectively out of the EU (by the end of the Article 50 process).

Hmm. So they can talk, but not come to a formal documented and final agreement.. Interesting.

Jackpot

Banned
What does "illegal" mean in this context?

That she could be brought down as leader of the party? Arrested?

Yeah, like will most countries just tell us "nothing doing" because then the EU is obligated to penalise them if they have trade treaties?

Plum

Honestly if we are leaning the eu and clearly now also leaving the single market, who gives a shit if it breaks eu law?

...maybe because trade talks with the EU will be negatively affected if we continuously piss them off and break their laws whilst still in the EU.

bosseye

At this stage you have to wonder if it's that big a deal 'annoying' the EU. You have to assume we weren't going to get much out of Brussels during negotiations anyway, think of the potential precedent it would set. So maybe it's a case of nothing to lose at this stage and getting the jump on trade negotiations would probably be helpful.....

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Because the UK is already flush as it is in terms of negotiating power.

zETHnhQ.jpg

But sure, keep showing your potential partners how much of an unreliable chucklefuck you are. Not that they probably want to annoy the EU by negotiating with the UK before it's due time anyway.

Because the UK is already flush as it is in terms of negotiation power.

zETHnhQ.jpg

But sure, keep showing your potential partners how much of an unreliable chucklefuck you are. Not that they probably want to annoy the EU anyway.

I'm thoroughly convinced that the people who voted Leave still think that this is the 1920s and Britian still has an Empire.

theaface

Because the UK is already flush as it is in terms of negotiation power.

zETHnhQ.jpg

But sure, keep showing your potential partners how much of an unreliable chucklefuck you are. Not that they probably want to annoy the EU anyway.

Great cartoon. Absolutely spot on.

Maztorre

At this stage you have to wonder if it's that big a deal 'annoying' the EU. You have to assume we weren't going to get much out of Brussels during negotiations anyway, think of the potential precedent it would set. So maybe it's a case of nothing to lose at this stage and getting the jump on trade negotiations would probably be helpful.....

You will still need to trade with the EU after Brexit. Theresa May also made a speech last week full of platitudes about wanting a prosperous EU and a continued close relationship with them (although I realise she contradicts herself multiple times a week these days).

BahamutPT

To clarify, these are the two important pieces of legislation at play here:

1. Everyone already knows our good old Article 50. Here is the important bit
    3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

This means the UK must still abide by all EU laws, regulations and treaties until the end of the Brexit process.
    Which takes us to...

2. Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union - Article 3
    Article 3

1. The Union shall have exclusive competence in the following areas:

(a) customs union;

(b) the establishing of the competition rules necessary for the functioning of the internal market;

(c) monetary policy for the Member States whose currency is the euro;

(d) the conservation of marine biological resources under the common fisheries policy;

(e) common commercial policy.

2. The Union shall also have exclusive competence for the conclusion of an international agreement when its conclusion is provided for in a legislative act of the Union or is necessary to enable the Union to exercise its internal competence, or in so far as its conclusion may affect common rules or alter their scope.

The TFEU only states that "the Union shall have exclusive competence for the CONCLUSION" of such agreements. I'm sure they're banking on the fact that it doesn't mention Member States can't actually talk, make plans and negotiate.

That provision isn't in the TFEU, I'm guessing, because they didn't foresee a Member State actually leaving.
    Since a Member State wouldn't be able to put its own trade agreement into effect under this policy, there was no need to specify that such Member State couldn't also talk to other States (because it would just be a waste of resources).

Maztorre

I'm thoroughly convinced that the people who voted Leave still think that this is the 1920s and Britian still has an Empire.

None of this surprises me. Many of these voters carry the same superior attitudes toward the other members of the UK, never mind the EU. Especially any time Scotland or Northern Ireland infringe on the British (read: white English) identity.

system11

Unenforceable.

What they can't do, is produce official papers, issue statements or sign anything.

However, I don't think being bullish about it is the best approach - those toes stepped on in the EU will belong to people we have to negotiate with later. I don't think it's a game worth playing. For all the bluster from idiots like Hollande, there are many pragmatists who will be at the negotiating table.

I don't see how it's in anyone's interests to stop the UK doing this. Given we are clearly going for a hard Brexit, it scarcely even seems like it matters. The negotiations aren't going to be bases on how nice we are to each other, it'll be about what's most mutually beneficial.

Xando

Man i'd love the EU to call on the bluff to turn britain into a tax haven just to see it all crashing down on may and the tories.

Shame it would hurt the poor the most.

Plum

Great cartoon. Absolutely spot on.

Eh. I've never liked political cartoons that think of an analogy then, instead of using visuals to get their point across, just write the names of the things each part is referring to right on the page.

The term you are looking for is "Little Englander".

But didn't the Little England movement want to dissolve the Empire? Granted, they were also ultra-nationalist but the reason I bring up Empire-nostalgia is cause the Leave people seem to think the UK has far more international weight and influence then it really does.

Costa Kid

I feel like Theresa May is leaving the EU behind because she knows she won't get a very good deal. However, going against the functioning of the EU is not good for Westminster-Brussels relations.

I don't see how it's in anyone's interests to stop the UK doing this. Given we are clearly going for a hard Brexit, it scarcely even seems like it matters. The negotiations aren't going to be bases on how nice we are to each other, it'll be about what's most mutually beneficial.

it might be most beneficial for the EU to strike a hard bargain with the UK.

Xando

I feel like Theresa May is leaving the EU behind because she knows she won't get a very good deal. However, going against the functioning of the EU is not good for Westminster-Brussels relations.

British politicians have behaved as if europe is their arch enemy since the referendum.
I mean just last week the boris implied britain is a WW2 POW trying to escape from their nazi guards (in this case the french president).

At this point most Eu countries just want to be done with it and are rather annoyed with british rhetoric.

Moosichu

The problem is, the bolded both contradict each other massively.

avaya

But didn't the Little England movement want to dissolve the Empire? Granted, they were also ultra-nationalist but the reason I bring up Empire-nostalgia is cause the Leave people seem to think the UK has far more international weight and influence then it really does.

No, Little Englander is a pejorative used to describe those who have always been Euroseptic and who believed the UK had more weight and power than it does. Last June we found out that the majority of the country suffers from this affliction.

Uzzy

Exactly. If May was going for some sort of Switzerland/EEA style deal, or a bespoke deal that involved some sort of access to the single market, then playing ball with the EU would make sense. But she's set her stall out pretty decisively to not aim for that. So getting some trade deals lined up with America and other willing states would be a plus for May when the going gets tough over the exit negotiations.

Auctopus

Yep, put on some protective gear and jump in to FB comments on most news outlets and you'll be continually surprised how out of touch people are.

"Where's the British spirit that won us the war?"

"Back in my day (what they mean here is that they grew up in the 60s and knew people who fought in WW2) we'd roll up our sleeves and get to work, this generation is so lazy!"

The overriding irony of Leave voters who continually hark back to WW2 etc. are referencing a period of time that is built around co-operation, acceptance of other cultures a beliefs - something that is completely at odds with Brexit.

Maztorre

Man i'd love the EU to call on the bluff to turn britain into a tax haven just to see it all crashing down on may and the tories.

Shame it would hurt the poor the most.

Why do you think it's a bluff? For the wing of the Tories that are currently running the asylum, a low-wage deregulated tax haven is the goal. Even Cameron's Tories only ever backed away from these policies whenever the public backlash became too much.

danm999

Well, the UK would be 4th in that queue of muscle men if someone else was the subject.

I'm not sure that the EU would be able to get to the queue in a timely fashion to get to the front either.

The disadvantages the UK faces in Brexit negotiations extend beyond its relative size compared to the economic blocs it seeks to trade with.

On that chart of muscle men I can clearly see the UK. Hundreds of countries in the world and the UK is well in the middle of the top ten depending on exchange rate. No need to play pick the statistic which ever you pick the UK is there.
You do notice the difference in size between the UK and the countries before it and the EU right? To think the UK has much to say here is just ignoring reality.

Also, there are no "hundreds" of countries. There are 195. And most are irrelevant to the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom