• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit: May Set to Defy EU by Opening Pre-Brexit Trade Talks With Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tosyn_88

EU has to be hard on the UK because it's a game of advantages. Whoever gets the upper hand sets catastrophic consequences for the other, a good exit deal for UK means EU is in trouble and vice versa so it's all a game of chess for UK to posture all the support it can get both in terms of committed investment and trade arrangements with other countries

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Trump will give her a favorable deal to fuel the other potential Euroxits.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
113550697_Farage_Trump-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqeo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg

comparing hand sizes
That's the whitest attempt at the run the jewels pose ever

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I'm not pro brexit at all but I always thought the interpretation of this law as meaning 'you can't talk to other countries about trade while in the EU' was utter bullshit.

All it says is that you can't sign the deal, which obviously you wouldn't without leaving anyway.

RenditMan

Banned
I'm not pro brexit at all but I always thought the interpretation of this law as meaning 'you can't talk to other countries about trade while in the EU' was utter bullshit.

All it says is that you can't sign the deal, which obviously you wouldn't without leaving anyway.

That is what recent reports say. You can't formally ratify anything whilst members of the EU.

Not sure how the EU would be the communication police with anything else, countries talk about stuff all the time.

Salvadora

I was and am strongly against Brexit, but I don't see the issue here.

Trade negotiations take time and we are only on a 2 year time table from March.

Negotiate and then ratify when we formally leave.

oti

Banned
At least there's now certainty about hard or soft Brexit. That's at least something to base the talks on.

Smart on UK part - it's much better to have contingency plan like this than wholly rely on EU goodwill to get good deal and then be left with nothing when it turns out that soviet like thinking EU commission wants to make example to scare other countries.

kmag

I actually think a trade deal with the US would be problematic for the UK. There's a large number of US businesses who use the UK as their gateway to Europe alongside accessing the large UK market.

If I'm one of those businesses and UK/US deal gives me free access to the UK, and the UK/EU deal doesn't give UK based subsidiaries similar access into EU then I'm servicing the UK market from the US via the new deal and setting up the satellite operation in the EU.

And that's before we get into all the really problematic stuff with any US led trade deal typically has.

So it's back to what I said, blame David Cameron personally for that. It's not within anyone else's power to stop him resigning.
May was named as Cameron's successor in July, still more than 4 months out to the legal challenge. In the face of Cameron's resignation there had to be an apparatus to take over his duties in the government as well.
Unless the british government just stopped working for a couple weeks.

Unrelated but these talks don't seem unreasonable can't really expect the UK to not hold talks until they are already out.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Yes, good plan. Destroy any goodwill the EU might have left for you, that will improve your bargaining position once you need to negotiate with the mainland.

May was named as Cameron's successor in July, still more than 4 months out to the legal challenge. In the face of Cameron's resignation there had to be an apparatus to take over his duties in the government as well.
Unless the british government just stopped working for a couple weeks.

I really can't believe that you're upset about a four month "delay" here. That's really nothing in the grand scheme of things. And again it's not like the current government has pushed the date back that it set: May's first announcement on taking office was that it would be early 2017 and she's been working towards that goal ever since. Again, where is the bad faith?

norinrad

May doing all she can to throw the EU into disray. Classic British divide and rule. They've been doing this since the beginning of time. Why are you guys surprised? Lol

novabolt

Someone had the audacity to tell me that all we have to do is apply a bit of elbow grease and we will survive hard brexit.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Smart on UK part - it's much better to have contingency plan like this than wholly rely on EU goodwill to get good deal and then be left with nothing when it turns out that soviet like thinking EU commission wants to make example to scare other countries.

Today's homework will be to define the meaning of the word Soviet and correlate it to the duties and working policies of the European Commission.

I really can't believe that you're upset about a four month "delay" here. That's really nothing in the grand scheme of things. And again it's not like the current government has pushed the date back that it set: May's first announcement on taking office was that it would be early 2017 and she's been working towards that goal ever since. Again, where is the bad faith?
It's not the delay by itself it's the combination of posturing UK officials while dallying to actually trigger article 50 that's tiresome.

It's not the delay by itself it's the combination of posturing UK officials while dallying to actually trigger article 50 that's tiresome.

You know why May said "it'll be early 2017" as soon as she became PM? Maybe it was because she expected problems like the legal challenge. To me that seems like a sensible thing to do, and points towards dealing in good faith. It's certainly better than if she said she would do it before Christmas and then had to push the date back, right?

Ok, my last comment on this: if triggering Art. 50 does not occur in March, I will have some sympathy for your point of view. However if it does happen in March, I would describe that as happening "pretty quickly" after the referendum results came in.

I can't blame the cabinet for being hesitant about this though, they've essentially got a loaded gun aimed at the economy's head and they don't want to pull the trigger before they at least have some notion, some idea of what's actually happening or what their plan is.

It's not posturing, they're trying to be responsible with an irresponsible decision.

Uzzy

Sure, for which Cameron has to take a massive share of the blame. No preparatory work, no planning, not even a few civil servants in a room somewhere to come up with an outline of what we might have to do if leave won.

I think Cameron will go down in history as one of the worst PM's since Lord North, to be honest.

Edit: Grrh, misread. The posturing of UK officials is also pretty tiring, yeah. Everytime Boris opens his mouth to make another WW2 reference I lose some brain cells. Feckless idiot.

ty_hot

this can backfire beautifully for May. She might make an agreement with trump that can only starts after UK leaves the EU... so EU might demand more things during the leave negotiation because the UK will be on a rush to start the US deal. or am I wrong?

this can backfire beautifully for May. She might make an agreement with trump that can only starts after UK leaves the EU... so EU might demand more things during the leave negotiation because the UK will be on a rush to start the US deal. or am I wrong?

Not sure if I follow. Under EU treaty rules, any trade agreement, in effect, can't be finalized or signed by anyone other than EU itself. In theory, May (AFTER the UK has completed its exit of the EU), when attempting to conclude/sign whatever deal they made earlier, Trump can, well...

Not sure why the EU would be attempting to get concession from a member state leaving its union.

I'm thoroughly convinced that the people who voted Leave still think that this is the 1920s and Britian still has an Empire.

Yep. And I absolutely despise the lot of them. Even the leftist in me thinks it's incredibly shortsighted because "international capitalism is bad". The EU is, and has been, WAY more nuanced than that. This shit guarantees a huge amount of actionable rights for people and small businesses.

Today's homework will be to define the meaning of the word Soviet and correlate it to the duties and working policies of the European Commission.

EU commision is a bunch of not elected officials thinking they have right to dictate how countries and people should behave. That's soviet like mentality because they don't have any democratic mandate.

EU commision is a bunch of not elected officials thinking they have right to dictate how countries and people should behave. That's soviet like mentality because they don't have any democratic mandate.

the EU commission is made up by commissars from member states appointed by the respective acting government, which in turn was democratically elected. I do not see how they don't have a democratic mandate.
You know why May said "it'll be early 2017" as soon as she became PM? Maybe it was because she expected problems like the legal challenge. To me that seems like a sensible thing to do, and points towards dealing in good faith. It's certainly better than if she said she would do it before Christmas and then had to push the date back, right?

Ok, my last comment on this: if triggering Art. 50 does not occur in March, I will have some sympathy for your point of view. However if it does happen in March, I would describe that as happening "pretty quickly" after the referendum results came in.
Expectancies was on an immediate or very timely triggering of article 50. Cameron promised to do so before the election, the populace knowing that still went ahead and voted for leaving the European Union.

StayDead

the EU commission is made up by commissars from member states appointed by the respective acting government, which in turn was democratically elected. I do not see how they don't have a democratic mandate.

Yup, pure daily mail drivel in the post beforehand. Everyone in the EU is voted on and elected on by the EU government, which is elected by all member states! It's insane.

ty_hot

Not sure if I follow. Under EU treaty rules, any trade agreement, in effect, can't be finalized or signed by anyone other than EU itself. In theory, May (AFTER the UK has completed its exit of the EU), when attempting to conclude/sign whatever deal they made earlier, Trump can, well...

Not sure why the EU would be attempting to get concession from a member state leaving its union.

I meant, May and Trump are meeting probably to discuss that. officially or not (specially with Trump) they will talk about a trade agreement. So, UK will be dealing with the exit of the EU and, as I understand, there are those 'exit negotiation' which I guess mean both sides need to agree to some terms on how the exit will be completed. So, if UK-USA have an agreement (not signed yet, but already discussed), the UK might want to leave the EU faster (otherwise they cant have any other agreements), which gives EU more leverage to demand more in the exit negotiations.

This just dont make sense in case there is nothing to discuss/negotiate between EU-UK, but from what I read they do have to agree to some terms before the exit is final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom