• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit | OT3 | A Feast for Crows

CTLance

Oof. That was a harsh burn. Bitterly needed though.

I hope some people in the UK parliament will read that and if not anything else, take the last few sentences to heart. Whip or no whip, there has to be some remaining decency and integrity left in UK politics.

Hope you guys don't end up eviscerating your own democracy. That'd be a way too heavy price to pay for Brexit.
Toi toi toi, as we Germans say. I'm pressing my thumbs.

Just moved to the uk branch of where I work from Ireland.

Have the option to be paid in pounds or euros. Any advice on which one I should take?

Thanks guys :)

Euros are almost certainly far more stable on a global scale; whereas the pound could drop at any time because our politicians do something stupid again.

I'd recommend Euros, especially if the position is long enough that'll you'll still be there as we approach Brexit D-Day.

Whether or not they backed Brexit 15 months ago, most people rightly fear a 2019 cliff-edge meltdown damaging livelihoods, incomes and their children's and grand-children's futures.
see this is where i disagree. remainers didnt do enough and leavers did want to leave no mattter the consequence. the argument that people now fear for their childrens futures is just a cop out. if the people are the sovereign the sovereign must take responsibility and suffer the consequences of their own decisions.
The problem is, last summer's general election, which May fought on highly personalised lines, delivered an unmistakable vote of no confidence in her leadership.
no. may won the elction. she did lose a lot of seats but labor, snp, libdems had less seats that conservatives and dup.
It is evident the EU negotiators have overreached in key areas. Some of the figures floated in Brussels in respect of Britain's divorce bill smack more of punishment than fair accounting. The idea that European court of justice law should override British law in respect of EU citizens resident in a post-Brexit Britain is presumptuous. Just imagine trying that on the Americans! And it is true that Jean-Claude Juncker, the commission president, is a disobliging bureaucrat who demeans his office with his apparent Anglophobia.
sudden drive-by bullshit argument. why is any of this unreasonable? UK needs to pay for their commitments, uk will have to guarantee certain rights to EU citizens since they lack the concept of a constitution. also juncker is an anglophob? he was reasonable so far and when UK was in the union the uk tried to block him.
No, it did not vote for the economic penury, falling wages, lower living standards, spiralling sterling devaluation and slacker food safety, health and environmental protections that a full-blown rupture with the single market and customs union would surely bring. It did not vote for unequal trade deals with economic superpowers such as China and the US that, if they happen at all, will be the consequence of a weakened Britain going it alone.
it did though. the arguments were clear and visible for everybody. UK voted that there are more important things than the economy or geopolitical positions. i am chuckling a bit about the unequal treaties wih china bit.. history works in mysterious ways

jelly

Will you start the fans please......we have piled lots of shit.

We are such a mess. I go from nah, it's not going to happen to absolute disaster, they really went through with it and got no deal. Isn't it frightening that they are cool with a cliff edge/no deal, what sort of hell hole do they have in store for us that makes that worth it? The EU aren't going to blink if that's the Tory strategy so they actually are okay with just leaving and being the little fish in the big pond asking for good trade deals, it's insane but I suppose their jobs aren't at risk and they get a nice pension while being on some board earning more when everyone else suffers.

jelly

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-blue-passports-made-in-france-germany-eu-a7938666.html

Hailed by Brexiteers as a triumphant symbol of a return to the days of independence from the EU, the new-style blue British passports could be made in France or Germany, it has been claimed.

Two foreign firms have reportedly been shortlisted alongside British company De La Rou by the Home Office to manufacture the new passports ahead of the UK’s departure from the EU in March 2019.

The £450 million contract was tendered out by the Government immediately after Article 50 was triggered in March, with the winner expected to be announced by this Christmas.

Younger people, however, have no memory of the blue-style ones, as the burgundy passport was introduced to the UK in 1988, some 15 years after Britain joined the trading block, with “European Community” emblazoned on the front, later replaced with “European Union”.

The prospect of the new-style navy ones being made in France or Germany - as The Sunday Times reports - is said to have some Brexiteer MPs seeing red.

Now that would be funny.

Burai

shitonmychest57
It was a massive failure for her, given the context.

By FPTP rules, she didn't win as she didn't get a majority.

The Tories stay in power, as a minority, because they were the already incumbent government and, thus, got first refusal to attempt to form a government.

Nobody won the last general election.

SteveWD40

The Tories stay in power, as a minority, because they were the already incumbent government and, thus, got first refusal to attempt to form a government.

In a way, it felt like a win for those of us terrified of an emboldened Tory Right with a "mandate" to do whatever the fuck they want.

oti

Banned

The DUP won the last general election.

Dougald

Nothing symbolises Brexit being nothing more than old people with rose tinted glasses more to me than the passport 'issue'. Who gives a damn what colour the things are.

Mr. Sam

Nothing symbolises Brexit being nothing more than old people with rose tinted glasses more to me than the passport 'issue'. Who gives a damn what colour the things are.

Not that it matters but a) we were free to change our passport colour any time and b) there was polling done on whether people cared about the passport colour prior to the referendum; they overwhelmingly didn't. It's a symptom of there being no obvious advantages to leaving the EU, reducing Brexit-supporters to these ludicrous arse-pulls.

Ah, something like the EU then?

jyCZz3c.gif

Uzzy

It looks as if the EU Withdrawal Bill will pass it's second reading tonight. None of the Tories are going to vote against it, though Clarke might abstain, while there's a few Labour MPs defying the whip and voting for it.

Still, this isn't the end. It's not even the beginning of the end. It's only the end of the beginning, with loads of amendments from all sides bound to be tabled. And that's before it even reaches the Lords, who might not feel bound by the Salisbury Convention on this one. We're going to have some interesting times ahead.

theaface

The prospect of the new-style navy ones being made in France or Germany - as The Sunday Times reports - is said to have some Brexiteer MPs seeing red.

When will they ever grow... the fuck... up. Here's a radical idea - do some actual governing instead of dragging this country through the muck over a single issue and your own in-fighting.

Aside from what a calamity Brexit is in and of itself, it makes me so bloody angry just how many other key issues affecting the country have been more or less forsaken entirely over the past two years (and with no end in sight).

Imagine how much such this or any government could've gotten done if Brexit never happened. But nope, we get more of the fanatics getting pissy over the colour of their passports or where they're printed. The Monster Raving Loony Party never came across as ludicrously slapstick as this.

It looks as if the EU Withdrawal Bill will pass it's second reading tonight. None of the Tories are going to vote against it, though Clarke might abstain, while there's a few Labour MPs defying the whip and voting for it.

Still, this isn't the end. It's not even the beginning of the end. It's only the end of the beginning, with loads of amendments from all sides bound to be tabled. And that's before it even reaches the Lords, who might not feel bound by the Salisbury Convention on this one. We're going to have some interesting times ahead.

I wish I shared your optimism. Say what you will about the Tories but for all their internal bickering and 'grave concerns', the rank and file fall in line each and every time. Soubry included. Then across from the aisle, astonishingly, you have Labour MPs happy to side with the Tories on this, despite every salient point Starmer made. The opposition won't even give itself a chance.

It's the same old, same old: "This thing is terrible... and I reluctantly vote for it. *mumble mumble* will of the people".

theaface

Many Labour MP's are terrified of being crucified by the right wing press / their own constituents who voted for this mess.

So more power for power's sake then, choosing to bow to ignorant populist rhetoric instead of actually doing good and leaving a positive legacy for the country. Tory 101, in essence.

misleading summary. he suggests that there should be a transitional period and a norway deal

But isn't the Norway deal exactly what Leave voters didn't want?

The main reasons why people voted for leave were the four freedoms and EU regulations.
A Norway deal would mean that the UK continues to grant the four freedoms and abides by all EU regulations.

So the UK would still have to play by all the EU rules, just that they now don't have a say in crafting these rules anymore.

A Norway deal is probabaly the best case scenario right now, but its still a fucking stupid move. Its literally a compromise between Leave and Remain that makes no one happy.

I think at this point someone should just have the guts to say that the things Leave voters wanted can't happen and just leaving the EU for the sake of it would only have downsides.

Either that or you take voters by their word and go for a hard Brexit without the four freedoms, without abiding by EU regulations etc.
The economy will crash, people will suffer, but maybe thats what it takes for people to realize that anti-intellectualism isn't the way to go.

Either that or you take voters by their word and go for a hard Brexit without the four freedoms, without abiding by EU regulations etc.
The economy will crash, people will suffer, but maybe thats what it takes for people to realize that anti-intellectualism isn't the way to go.

It may not get that far - once the government actually fails to get a deal with the EU it'll fall over and we'll get either some extremist Brexiteer group taking power lead by Mogg or someone, or another general election where the public can have their third go at rejecting Brexit at the ballot box.

To understand the British government right now is to consider the country as the man having to choose between the burning oil rig and the freezing ocean. Our government's solution to this conundrum is to cut open its own throat and cannonball into the water. It'll die from the massive blood loss instead of the hypothermia, but at least it died in its own way.

The entire point is to do exactly what the most headbanger of all the Brexiteers want, because this government and its ministers will not be around to pick up the pieces - it'll be someone else's problem. May will jump us off the oil rig, but I very much doubt it'll still be May bleeding out in the water. We're run by a government the majority of which are looking frantically for an exit.

Mivey

The decision, in hindsight, seems so misinformed that it not just borders on insanity, but shoots right through and lands somewhere in the murky lands of utter lunacy.
The ability to course correct is not an anti-thesis to a functioning democracy, but a key requirement of one.

I think it's really nice to compare the Brexit vote in the UK with one in Switzerland a few years ago, where they voted against freedom of movement. Right now, while they do introduce some token measures, they have pretty much given up on actually putting up a hard limit, since the EU was clearly going to scrap their bilateral agreement altogether. Now I think that this isn't a failure, it's a pragmatic acceptance of reality. Otherwise you are right in "having my cake and eating it too" territory. Funny for the rest of the world to laugh about, not so funny for the people living there.

Uzzy

I wish I shared your optimism. Say what you will about the Tories but for all their internal bickering and 'grave concerns', the rank and file fall in line each and every time. Soubry included. Then across from the aisle, astonishingly, you have Labour MPs happy to side with the Tories on this, despite every salient point Starmer made. The opposition won't even give itself a chance.

It's the same old, same old: "This thing is terrible... and I reluctantly vote for it. *mumble mumble* will of the people".

We'll see. The moment after the second reading vote passed, there were Tory MP's lining up to put in amendments, from Dominic Grieve to John Penrose of the pro-Brexit ERG. There will be some concessions, though I'm not sure if the Commons will really pass anything too strong.

My understanding from the Bill that just got passed, is that the government now has the right to modify any laws set by the EU, for the purpose of making sure they now state UK instead of EU.

It's much more complex than that, but in summary I'm right?

The problem as pointed by Labor is that ministers can make any changes they want with very little oversight.

Crucially, it would allow ministers to change things where they think it is "appropriate", in theory that makes their decisions even exempt to legal challenge. As it stands, the bill also gives ministers the power to choose the day of our actual exit from the EU, without asking Parliament, and it could also give them the power to designate different days for Brexit in different legal areas.

- BBC Article

The government argue that they should be trusted and allowed to make these massive changes, because there's no time to debate each law.

IT'S ALMOST AS IF THEY WERE DISTRACTED BY A SNAP ELECTION!

Now I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but making this exempt to legal challenge is some of the shadiest shit I've ever heard. Maybe this was the Conservative plan all along. If we don't plan for Brexit and prove our ineptness, we can pass a vote that lets us change any of the laws we want, without challenge. This shit makes me want to weep and I hope to god this is the last term for the con-FUCKING-serva-WANKERS-tives.

The main reasons why people voted for leave were the four freedoms and EU regulations.
A Norway deal would mean that the UK continues to grant the four freedoms and abides by all EU regulations.

So the UK would still have to play by all the EU rules, just that they now don't have a say in crafting these rules anymore.

A Norway deal is probabaly the best case scenario right now, but its still a fucking stupid move. Its literally a compromise between Leave and Remain that makes no one happy.

I think at this point someone should just have the guts to say that the things Leave voters wanted can't happen and just leaving the EU for the sake of it would only have downsides.

a norway deal is worse than leave as the UK would have no say in any EU matters yet would need to obey
My understanding from the Bill that just got passed, is that the government now has the right to modify any laws set by the EU, for the purpose of making sure they now state UK instead of EU.

The problem as pointed by Labor is that ministers can make any changes they want with very little oversight.

The government argue that they should be trusted and allowed to make these massive changes, because there's no time to debate each law.

Now I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but making this exempt to legal challenge is some of the shadiest shit I've ever heard. Maybe this was the Conservative plan all along. If we don't plan for Brexit and prove our ineptness, we can pass a vote that lets us change any of the laws we want, without challenge. This shit makes me want to weep and I hope to god this is the last term for the con-FUCKING-serva-WANKERS-tives.
what happens if the tories annunce themselves as permanent sovereigns of the UK? There can be no more legal challenge right?

Mr. Sam

What seems particularly short-sighted to me is the Conservatives looking to increase governmental power when they could well be handing the keys over to Jeremy Corbyn before long.

kmag

It's only past the second reading. It's got a way to go to become law.

Passage-of-a-bill.png

So why did these Labour MPs vote for it?

As stated earlier, some are trying to avoid bad looks from their constituents by helping the Brexit train along. More broadly, there are those that given the constrained timetable they're in, the nation can't afford waiting on this bill longer than it needs to - they'll have time to question and scrutinise it later.

What seems particularly short-sighted to me is the Conservatives looking to increase governmental power when they could well be handing the keys over to Jeremy Corbyn before long.

Funny thing is, Clarke was warning about just this last night. If they actually do take this, they establish precedent for any subsequent government to do the same.

Top Bottom