• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bring back Fruitger Aero!!! (and Skeuomorphism!)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Yep. This is where i got this topic from, and this is why i'm bringing it up.
I honestly do not know what sort of shift happened in the mid 2010s that resulted in us going from lovingly rendered, smooth, 3D, beautiful interfaces and aesthetics that showcased the beauty of nature and technology
iosaestheticleaddantetktk.jpg
Windows_Vista-57c956973df78c71b606e86f.png
maxresdefault.jpg

to boring, bland, soulless flat interfaces that nobody likes besides hippie weirdos and people who hate excitement in their life

2160.jpg
1*dQ3cT3z0wX9CqQM_JbCToA.jpeg

The strangest part about all of this, IMO

Is the fact that they're doing this shit in an age where Video Games, CGI and Movies are trying their damndest to create photorealistic imagery and blend the line between reality and fiction

T9kK0Ss.jpg

meanwhile, UI designers are too busy trying to create the most boring, simple, easy playground toddler shit.

KjFMqXN.png

its fucking sickening and boring to me.

Drew1440

It started with the Windows Phone Metro interface which was a nice break from the glass gloss style of Vista/7 and the Skeuomorphism of iOS. I still remember that 'Find Friends' that had some faux leather interface which looked nice for the time.

Shoutout to the Windows team making the title bar the exact same white as the rest of the window and not allowing colour changes unless you do a registry hack. Who needs to drag windows around anyway? This is still a problem on some Window Server versions.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Windows 11 has a mode that makes it look like a Mac, or just buy a Mac.

images
I actually like how Windows 11 looks because it uses gradients and smoother colors to make the interface less boring than in Win10. And while modern IOS is a MAJOR downgrade from how IOS looked in its early days, i don't think that looks terrible either
modern Android though.... one of the most disgusting operating systems ive ever seen, especially in comparison to KitKat, donut, honeycomb... looking at those and comparing them to Android 12 is such a fucking shame... most modern site interfaces in comparison to their older ones (i.e youtube and the google site) have become so fucking ugly and simple. Switch UI as well is such a downgrade from Wii U and 3ds.

I'm not specifically talking windows because it's more than just that. Every big soulless tech company wants to shove this minimalist flat crap down our throats with no customization options

Top Bottom