• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bringing it home didn't bring much to play.

brocke

Banned
Anyone else dissapointed by the severe lack of demos that were playable with Bringing it Home during X06 and TGS? I mean yeah we get Sonic, the Wrestling demo, Fuzion Frenzy, maybe 2 others and that's about it. Don't get me wrong, the video quantity was awsome, but the demo's seemed to underdeliver. Especially with how many demos were supposingly playable at the conferences.

BuddyC

brocke said:
omg i feel like a complete moron. lock this thread please. I had no idea x06 hadn't started yet :(
Uh, X06 is over.

I thought they did an excellent job providing trailers, I actually filled up my download queue a couple times looking through that list. I was also thrilled to see the LEGO Star Wars II demo, since I haven't had the cash or time to pick that up yet.

Also, however many demos have gone up in the past week is a pretty significant increase over traditional demo releases. Yea, they may not all have been that great, but it's something. Something they provide for free, I must point out.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
brocke said:
According to the thread linked it the bulk of demos would be available until the 29th and it is already the 29th.
Oh, crap, I forgot about the limited availability of these demos...are they still up through the end of today? I just moved so the 360 is still packed.

Bojangles

You can be disappointed about the quality of the demos, or that there were no demos of your most-awaited games, but you cannot be disappointed at the quantity.

You know they've been holding this stuff back for weeks or months just to dump it in this one week so they can get some nice doctored stats for their press release. Given that, I can certainly complain about the quantity. It should have been a demo a day, minimum.

GhaleonEB

BuddyC said:
Uh, X06 is over.

I thought they did an excellent job providing trailers, I actually filled up my download queue a couple times looking through that list. I was also thrilled to see the LEGO Star Wars II demo, since I haven't had the cash or time to pick that up yet.

Also, however many demos have gone up in the past week is a pretty significant increase over traditional demo releases. Yea, they may not all have been that great, but it's something. Something they provide for free, I must point out.
I said this in the other thread, but I thought the program went well. We got 4-5 demos, when E3 delivered one. Getting demos this way, in this volume, for free is a pretty cool thing. I think people are bummed none were as good as Lost Planet, but then not many are going to be.

I downloaded ~15 trailers, keeping the queue full for a couple of evenings. Lots of good stuff. There were some big omissions, though - Crackdown, Lost Planet, and Gears of War. Why we don't have any direct-feed footage of GoW on Marketplace anywhere is beyond me.

BobJustBob said:
You know they've been holding this stuff back for weeks or months just to dump it in this one week so they can get some nice doctored stats for their press release. Given that, I can certainly complain about the quantity. It should have been a demo a day, minimum.
Most of the movies were new, shown at X06 for the first time. Of course they held them back for their annual press event. :/

BuddyC

BobJustBob said:
You know about that policy we have about baseless accusations and then using them as justification for your discussion, right?

sangreal

brocke said:
According to the thread linked it the bulk of demos would be available until the 29th and it is already the 29th.

I wasn't being serious. In the thread linked we weren't allowed to complain without getting "wait for x06' jammed down our throats

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Well, at least MS didn't say the CGI trailers were actually gameplay.

Plus, MS has ****ing pioneered giving people instant access to E3, TGS, and now X06 via thir VIDEO GAME CONSOLE and people are bitching about them not delivering. Please.

pestul

You have to remember, MS can't fully control which developers choose to put forward valuable resources in the making of a demo version (as opposed to continuing full steam with the retail version).. do you want a Gears demo, or do you want the game to be delayed until January?

Mrbob

Doom was a nice surprise, but I have to say overall it was a letdown.

Where was the Lost Planet, Crackdown, or Gears footage? Why didn't MS bring it home to some of their biggest games on 360? This is what I don't understand. MS raised the bar with what they did at E3, by comparison it seemed like they were going through the motions with content for TGS and X06.

You have to remember, MS can't fully control which developers choose to put forward valuable resources in the making of a demo version (as opposed to continuing full steam with the retail version).. do you want a Gears demo, or do you want the game to be delayed until January?

They could at least post the playable footage from Gears or Assassins Creed or Crackdown....

DenogginizerOS said:
Well, at least MS didn't say the CGI trailers were actually gameplay.

Plus, MS has ****ing pioneered giving people instant access to E3, TGS, and now X06 via thir VIDEO GAME CONSOLE and people are bitching about them not delivering. Please.
No IGN, Gamespot, 1up, Gametrailers have done that so much before MS did.
If the Bringing it home concept is only for the trailers then i think we can all here say that the web can bring it home with much more content :)

jjasper

Mrbob said:
They could at least post the playable footage from Gears or Assassins Creed or Crackdown....

I think the reason they don't want to show that stuff is because while the media sees games early in development all the time customers don't. The media is able to look past flaws sometimes because they know they will improve. You don't know if people will do that.

Tieno

I'm not really dissapointed....the demos aren't my thing, though still have to play Lego Star Wars. Lost Planet was a surprise though, nobody expected it at e3, it made a lot of the E3 Bringing it Home, actually playing a triple AAA demo at home...

I do wish they'd release some ingame 720p footage of their biggest game this november: Gears of War. Have Cliffy talk over it and explaining the controls and stuff like that, like the one they have at gamespot.
It's in MS's best interest to show the game off in the most optimial conditions, which is direct feed 720p footage on marketplace so you can view it on your (HD)TV.

mikeGFG

Banned
jjasper said:
I think the reason they don't want to show that stuff is because while the media sees games early in development all the time customers don't. The media is able to look past flaws sometimes because they know they will improve. You don't know if people will do that.

Which I think is comical considering the Assassin's Creed trailer on marketplace handles MUCH worse than the on-stage X06 demo.

Last Hope

The biggest disappointment is that all the traillers now days are CGI.

Remember the outcry with the infamous Killzone trailer and all of Sony's trailers at that E3? CGI was so unacceptable. But since this E3, most trailers have been CGI and people are basing hype off of these things.

So by my count, we saw even less than the OP thinks from this "Bring it Home" event.

Cheeto

Last Hope said:

Remember the outcry with the infamous Killzone trailer and all of Sony's trailers at that E3? CGI was so unacceptable. But since this E3, most trailers have been CGI and people are basing hype off of these things.

So by my count, we saw even less than the OP thinks from this "Bring it Home" event.
I think the difference being, that the Killzone trailer was being used as a testament to the PS3's power.

RumFore

Banned
I sent my 360 back for repairs so maybe thats why I feel there is so much that I missed.

Demos...
Sonic
FEAR
Lego Star Wars
Doom
Tenchu

Tons of videos.

How is that not enough? I think this is what you call spoiled. Really or maybe it just takes someone who doesnt have a 360 to see all the stuff thats up there.

DenogginizerOS

Chû Totoro said:
If the Bringing it home concept is only for the trailers then i think we can all here say that the web can bring it home with much more content :)

VIDEO GAME CONSOLE. You missed that part in what I said. Plus, being able to watch them in High-Def on my HDTV. In addition, I nver recall getting to download a demo of a game for a CONSOLE the day it was shown at a conference.

LakeEarth

Last Hope said:

People complained because they didn't say it was CG, they wouldn't give a straight answer one way or the other. Here they're upfront, these are CG trailers for games that are too early to be shown. That's fine.

DenogginizerOS

I swear to God if MS gave us 20 demos people would be bitching that the demos are cutting into their playtime with games they purchased.:lol :lol

Vangellis

Chû Totoro said:

Yea you can get them on the web but this is certainly not the same as me getting to watch it on my HDTV with ease. Sure you could hook up a computer to the tv but again its a very different experience. I think the one thing that Msoft is doing really well its thier online service. IMO credit is due to Msoft for at least delivering the best online service available on a console. Ive been quite satisfied by what they are doing with Live. Unfortunately no matter how good it is people are gonna bitch and complain thats for sure.

RumFore

Banned
JonathanEx said:
Lego Star Wars II isn't really a good demo for Bringing It Home... seeing as the game is out.

Doesnt take away from the fact that over five games demos were released and regardless some still would like to play it before buying it.

Wollan

They should have released Blue Dragon. The game seemed solid and it's not really the type of game that use to have a lot of bugs. While the TGS demo may not be a demo per say (someone told me it was savefiles for the whole game) but whopping up a demo of that game shouldn't have been a problem.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Blue Dragon was NOT ready for primetime, the build they had running at TGS was more crash-happy than Eval Kineval.

BTW, that was a shit ton of demos, plus we got Doom so STFU u ho

arne

Chû Totoro said:

Following up on denogg's post above, some people *cough* don't have PCs powerful enough to run the HD videos over the web. So I have to rely on the XBL trailers to be able to see them in HD. I'm sure no matter how antiquated my PC is, there are plenty of people in the same boat. and really, nothing compares the HD trailer.

GhaleonEB

arne said:
Following up on denogg's post above, some people *cough* don't have PCs powerful enough to run the HD videos over the web. So I have to rely on the XBL trailers to be able to see them in HD. I'm sure no matter how antiquated my PC is, there are plenty of people in the same boat. and really, nothing compares the HD trailer.
And seeing them on my TV is much more preferable than my tiny computer screen.

Just fix the download speeds. It took a full hour to get a 300 meg file, while it took 10 minutes on my PC. :(

squicken

arne said:

I like having the trailers on Marketplace. But as mentioned before, wtf at no Gears, Crackdown, or LP footage?

Norse

I would still rather have MS add the ability to stream videos onto the 360 over live..I hate to have to d/l videos from live when streaming would be quicker and not require me to delete the video after watching it.

I am thankful they actually put videos up for us, but rather stream.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
I'm too busy to read the whole topic so dunno if it was mentioned before but ; rumor has it we'll see a 'very nice' demo available at 12PM (I take it that that's GMT+1 (Barcelona local time, so that's within 30 minutes).

edit: apparently I had a shitty source.

K_S

Banned
it's been pretty weak

only things worthwhile have been on the internet anyways

ms have to try harder next time for me to unplugg my modem, wait 15 min for pc ip to clear, hook up to 360, turn 360 and tv on and then wait while stuff download at really slow speeds

hyp

i happened to like the fact that i can watch all these game videos and trailers in HD as opposed to a dinky 320x240 streaming video. there was a ton of stuff on xbox.com as well that didn't show up on XBL for download, so you might wanna check that as well. demo wise, i wasn't expecting much but i thought one of the heavy hitters would be downloadable. overall, it's a great service to the fans and users of XBL so i have nothing to complain about. for me it was more like dessert on top of the up to the minute internet news.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Chû Totoro said:

To reitterate what I've said before:

The Marketplace isn't just for breaking announcements. That's gonna be rare. That's not the goal, and it's not aimed at use nerds who download everything the minute they come out. It's for the average guy who may care a little bit, and, moreso, at those of us who want them at the best quality possible, and in 5.1.

And even if trailers are unique, or break on the Marketplace, you'll likely hear more about them online, as (awesome) sites such as Blim's will upload them anywho.

And, yet again about demos, you can't blaim MS for that. There were plenty, too. Given, the LP demo set the bar high for standard, and as a surprise, but whatever, the demo shwoing surely wasn't "bad", especially in any way you can blame MS. And that carries over to Marketplace demos in general.

Don't people realize that the demo being played in a controlled situtation on debug units is not the same as the demo that is prepared to be played on your console at home. Simply taking a build from a server and throwing on a debug unit is OK at a controlled environment like a conference or media event. Doing that on your machine at home, no way.

I still would like to see some high quality video of GoW and Crackdown.

Top Bottom