• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broforce skipping XBO due to Parity Clause, and "deal they couldn't refuse" w/ Sony

Bessy67

What is typical pub fund timed exclusivity anyways, 6 months? If they really want to do an Xbox One version I'm sure they can work around the parity clause and get it ported by then. There are already quite a few examples of the parity clause being ignored.

Barsinister

Banned
Parallel universe thread whining? What the hell? I'm just pointing out that, by Greenwood's own admission, the game is not coming to Xbox One primarily because they have a deal with Sony. The parity clause was practically only mentioned in passing.

The game is coming out FIRST on PlayStation 4 due to a deal. It is never coming out on XboxOne due to the parity clause.

Oh yeah, to think about it Wii U takes less money to publish. Since Mighty No. 9 is published to Wii U, Xbox is never getting it.
The clause is really dumb guys.

What is typical pub fund timed exclusivity anyways, 6 months? If they really want to do an Xbox One version I'm sure they can work around the parity clause and get it ported by then. There are already quite a few examples of the parity clause being ignored.

Then drop the clause. This is not Rocket Science Microsoft.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well they accepted your indie garbage so they cant be curating that hard.
http://absinthegames.com/idxbox/

RQzpIlO.gif

Castef

Banned
The game is coming out FIRST on PlayStation 4 due to a deal. It is never coming out on XboxOne due to the parity clause.

Err... where did you get that second part of the sentence?

They not even tried to bring it to a Microsoft machine.

Look, the Parity Clause is stupid, I agree with people who criticizes it. It could be easily changed in something more appealing for developers, like "Ok, publish it on XB1 whenever you want, just add something exclusive, even 1 level or 1 weapon or 1 shitty feature".

Yet, this whole thread is based on a clearly flawed premise.

hawk2025

So this is a confirmed pub funded game?

Oh, well why not just say that in the interview?

Seems like something that should be added to the OP.

I have no idea, but it seems like a weaker assumption than others being made, since pub fund has been Sony's approach to indie games.

Withnail

Not sure why people think it's a pub-fund game when it isn't self-published and in fact is already out on PC. The Sony deal could mean anything from a PS+ place to an E3 stage presence to reduced platform fees. Anything really.

Look, the Parity Clause is stupid, I agree with people who criticizes it. It could be easily changed in something more appealing for developers, like "Ok, publish it on XB1 whenever you want, just add something exclusive, even 1 level or 1 weapon or 1 shitty feature".

I think that is fair. Rayman Legends would have had a Wii U release in March and the Director's Cut in September for PS3/360.
But...

Also yeah the deal says nothing to adding to publishing. It could be just a bonus.

Microsoft's shitty policy drove the developers to be more amenable to Sony and take their deal, with whatever terms that entails. I think that's the safest thing you can say.

That doesn't sound like what happened at all.

They revealed that they have a deal from Sony that they were not able to refuse.

Seems like the opposite of what you're suggesting. Sony 'reached out' and the deal they couldn't refuse was made, doesn't sound at all like they were driven to accept this deal.

Everything is NDA'd. You have to be an ID@Xbox dev to get some answers.

It puzzles me that the guys at Xbox could clear up a LOT of things simply by outlining a lot of stuff but can't due to the heads up preventing just that.

Long story short, it's a great indie dev initiative at MS being strangled by tons of red tape, and Phil Spencer doesn't give a shit. Frustrating as hell.

If you not signed up with ID@Xbox you don't get answers

Also it is all NDA'd

Not sure why people think it's a pub-fund game when it isn't self-published and in fact is already out on PC. The Sony deal could mean anything from a PS+ place to an E3 stage presence to reduced platform fees. Anything really.
The game is not out, it's on early access

I agree that the parity clause, as I understand it, is dumb. But this seems like a pretty clickbait-y article because the developers apparently don't know (they are quoted as saying "as far as I know Microsoft has a clause..."), which renders the whole article pointless.

Marcel

That doesn't sound like what happened at all.

Seems like the opposite of what you're suggesting. Sony 'reached out' and the deal they couldn't refuse was made, doesn't sound at all like they were driven to accept this deal.

I think you're neglecting to remember that the mere idea of the parity clause precluded them from even considering a Microsoft deal, which speaks to how poor Microsoft's mindshare with indie developers is at the moment. Just read chubigans' posts on this subject for some fierce truths directly from an indie.

Barsinister

Banned

The whole idea that the game is blocked from MS because of Pub Fund is flawed. Joe Danger was a Pub Fund game and it later released on 360. If it is more accurate to say possibly won't come to the One, I thought of that after I hit reply.

Haunted

People are still stuck in 2008/2009. "They could've come to MS and talk to them, hash out a deal, trying to get them to drop the parity clause, make an exception for them!"

Yeah, maybe. They could have.

But that's still assuming the old distribution of power, where console manufacturers can push indies around and force their conditions on them. That's been shattered during the last couple years by the proliferation of Steam and indies finding massive success outside of consoles.

If you're a promising, fully-featured, well-covered and well-known indie game published by Devolver Digital, the console manufacturers come to you and court you to release a port of the game on their platform. (Just like Sony has done here) The times when bigger indie names had to come begging to get put on XBLA and abide by their shitty, one-sided contracts are over.

Someone just forgot to tell MS.

Spades

Sure, the parity clause sucks big time but everyone overlooks this:

“Mostly because Sony reached out to us with a deal we couldn’t reasonably refuse,”

Basically, Sony paid them a ton of cash to skip Xbox. This is just as bad IMO.

People are still stuck in 2008/2009. "They could've come to MS and talk to them, hash out a deal, trying to get them to drop the parity clause, make an exception for them!"

Yeah, maybe. They could have. But that's still assuming the old distribution of power, the one that's been shattered during the last couple years by the proliferation of Steam and Desura and indies finding massive success outside of consoles. If you're a promising, fully-featured, well-covered and well-known indie game published by Devolver Digital, the console manufacturers come to you and court you to release a port of the game on their platform. The times when bigger indie names had to come begging to get put on XBLA and abide by their shitty, one-sided contracts are over.

Someone just forgot to tell MS.

It seems like MS is stuck in 2009.

Kayant

This comment,

Implies that they haven't even discussed bringing the game to Xbox becuase they have a deal with Sony that would prevent it anyways. We have heard from the MS indie program that the clause is not a blanket one, and that you just need to talk to them about it.

That being said, the clause should probably go anyways.

Sony don't have a equivalent cause of if it's already launched on one platform by default it's not allowed on PS. It wouldn't be the case if the situation was switched or if they launched on PS first without the exclusivity window that comes with Sony's funding or whatever assistance they are offering.

Well they accepted your indie garbage so they cant be curating that hard.
http://absinthegames.com/idxbox/

o_O... Did you miss the joke or what.

Oh you not... welp. Am show you have some High caliber work to show us.

Sony "moneyhatted" Drinkbox studios by giving them the funds to finish their game, then it, quite shockingly might I add, released on Xbox. It's really not that hard to understand but I'm aware you have your own ways.

Seems the original 'moneyhat' resulted in a 15 month console exclusivity period. So what's your point?

cHaOs667

Fuuuuuuuuu.... i REALY love this game on my windows pc but as the one is my primary console i will miss it on my big screen...

...hopefully it comes to the ps vita... :D

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's a shame this all has to happen because Phil Spencer just cares too much about games and gamers.

He cares so much you guys.

He's different.

He cares.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
What's vague about it? Seems pretty clear cut. He says in no uncertain terms that Sony reached out and the natural conclusion to reach is that Sony moneyhatted the game based on what we know that means from past deals.

It's a very specific choice of wording.
Lol, it's not very "specific" at all, just the way he decided to word it because he probably wasn't thinking about how thousands of console warriors on the Internet were going to insta-parse it from the safety of their pre-existing biases.

Do we not have ample evidence by this point of Sony doing previous deals at this level (small devs) where they have *not* required exclusivity for it? Given that, how can you claim this is so clear cut?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Microsoft's shitty policy drove the developers to be more amenable to Sony and take their deal, with whatever terms that entails. I think that's the safest thing you can say.

"we can't make any conclusions on his vague statements, except that it was all because of the parity clause and the other thing was probably circumstantial at best"

Marcel

"we can't make any conclusions on his vague statements, except that it was all because of the parity clause and the other thing was probably circumstantial at best"

You're allowed to make conclusions but I'm personally not going to rubber stamp it as a moneyhat until there's more information out in the wild.

Top Bottom