• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bruce Willis Rendered "Incommunicative" Due to Dementia

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
My mom died of Covid in may 2020 but was already 5 years into dementia.
It was basically a mercy kill as she was in a vegetative state.

I would still visit her, take her hand and talk to her but stayed about 15 minutes in those later stages.
I mostly hung around & talked to the caretakers.

But in the early stages of the disease I had some fun with my mom and we had some wacky conversations.

She could still formulate phrases but the content was out of this world 😆

"Bring me some pickled beets next time you visit me I'm gonna open a daycare center".

"You see that man over there? (Just a nice gentleman in his 70's)
I think he's gay. He's so neat and polite".

"I think the lights in my head are switching off" she just said casually one time.

That one knocked me out on my ass but I couldn't show it.
It sounds especially sad in french like she said it "Les lumières dans ma tête s'éteignent".

I feel for Bruce and his family as well as anyone out there going through this ordeal.

jonnyp

My mom died of Covid in may 2020 but was already 5 years into dementia.
It was basically a mercy kill as she was in a vegetative state.

I would still visit her, take her hand and talk to her but stayed about 15 minutes in those later stages.
I mostly hung around & talked to the caretakers.

But in the early stages of the disease I had some fun with my mom and we had some wacky conversations.

She could still formulate phrases but the content was out of this world 😆

"Bring me some pickled beets next time you visit me I'm gonna open a daycare center".

"You see that man over there? (Just a nice gentleman in his 70's)
I think he's gay. He's so neat and polite".

"I think the lights in my head are switching off" she just said casually one time.

That one knocked me out on my ass but I couldn't show it.
It sounds especially sad in french like she said it "Les lumières dans ma tête s'éteignent".

I feel for Bruce and his family as well as anyone out there going through this ordeal.

Sorry man.

Dementia is such a cruel disease. My grandmother deteriorated so quickly. Still remember the last time I saw her and she had lost the last 20 years of her memory. She couldn't believe how big me and my siblings had become when we visited her. The look on her face as she probably realized what was going on with her still makes me sad. Not long after that visit she decided to stop eating and then she was gone within a week.

Top Bottom